Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

+26
Pike Bishop
19delta
Bighitter11
illinipete
SIFBCoach7
Outdoors
Vanilla
net
newcom
4a(6afornet)north
wolverine55
tm
Chukam All
wilky
nw il fb observer
OldTitan
tincup1215
Horsefeather
dusty7
crusader
OSUBucks
Teetime
lefty120
Head Idiot
Bigshot85
ging
30 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post Empty week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by ging Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 am

i don't know you people any more!
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Bigshot85 Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:54 am

Been busy looking for Lake County games can't seem to find any that are pick-em worthy. Laughing Laughing
Bigshot85
Bigshot85
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Head Idiot Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 am

Bigshot85 wrote:Been busy looking for Lake County games can't seem to find any that are pick-em worthy. Laughing Laughing
+1.

That right there is funny.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 am

ging wrote:i don't know you people any more!
I've been busy sucking at football and deeply, seriously contemplating if this career is for me anymore.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:25 am

I missed it, but where did you end up landing H.I.?

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:32 am

Lincoln.

It's not anything necessarily about this place, they've been very nice to me, I just don't know that I fit in in education/coaching anymore.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:44 am

I've heard good things about that district...and I know exactly what you mean regarding the whole fit in in education / coaching thing.

Seems to me it's changed drastically in just the 15-20 years since I got started. I guess that makes me sound old.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:02 pm

lefty120 wrote:I've heard good things about that district...and I know exactly what you mean regarding the whole fit in in education / coaching thing.  

Seems to me it's changed drastically in just the 15-20 years since I got started.  I guess that makes me sound old.  
I legitimately don't get kids anymore. That may sound terrible, but I don't understand what motivates them, or really why they're here. Teaching/learning seemed to be about 80% of this job when I started and 20% stupid crap. I would wager today it's opposite that.

I had a meeting yesterday with a special ed teacher about a student who is "selectively mute". He talks, he just chooses when he wants to. He had questions for me, so we had a meeting where the teacher asked me these questions he had asked her and I answered him through her. That's where we are in education. Kid doesn't want to talk, he's "selectively mute". Kid wants to be an asshole all the time? He's oppositional defiant. Girl failed a test the other day for me (6 out of 26 points) and she asked me what I was going to do to raise her grade. Kid filmed a portion of class the other day (why you want to film me teaching is beyond me) and sent it to mom. Mom called and complained about something (I don't really know what) and the advice/guidance I got was that I need to take more phones. I have one kid I'm supposed to track how many times he appears to get off task in class to meet his 504. In my class of 30 kids. Last week I went from 9pm Thursday evening until 1pm Saturday without seeing my own kids conscious. All of this for a stunning $45k in year 19 of full time teaching. I just saw a job that only requires a GED that pays $47k a year. I've pondered applying.

I just don't know that it's for me anymore.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Seriously, call TRS and see what your options are before you do anything dumb. Get it in writing.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:22 pm

I will probably do that soon. Right now, I just don't know what the next step is, or when it will happen.

And I didn't mean to turn this into a woe is me deal. Just thought I'd share.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Bigshot85 wrote:Been busy looking for Lake County games can't seem to find any that are pick-em worthy. Laughing Laughing

LMAO at this!
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
lefty120 wrote:I've heard good things about that district...and I know exactly what you mean regarding the whole fit in in education / coaching thing.  

Seems to me it's changed drastically in just the 15-20 years since I got started.  I guess that makes me sound old.  
I legitimately don't get kids anymore.  That may sound terrible, but I don't understand what motivates them, or really why they're here.  Teaching/learning seemed to be about 80% of this job when I started and 20% stupid crap.  I would wager today it's opposite that.  

I had a meeting yesterday with a special ed teacher about a student who is "selectively mute".  He talks, he just chooses when he wants to.  He had questions for me, so we had a meeting where the teacher asked me these questions he had asked her and I answered him through her.  That's where we are in education.  Kid doesn't want to talk, he's "selectively mute".  Kid wants to be an asshole all the time?  He's oppositional defiant.  Girl failed a test the other day for me (6 out of 26 points) and she asked me what I was going to do to raise her grade.  Kid filmed a portion of class the other day (why you want to film me teaching is beyond me) and sent it to mom.  Mom called and complained about something (I don't really know what) and the advice/guidance I got was that I need to take more phones.  I have one kid I'm supposed to track how many times he appears to get off task in class to meet his 504.  In my class of 30 kids.  Last week I went from 9pm Thursday evening until 1pm Saturday without seeing my own kids conscious.  All of this for a stunning $45k in year 19 of full time teaching.  I just saw a job that only requires a GED that pays $47k a year.  I've pondered applying.  

I just don't know that it's for me anymore.

We know that you're not a whiner by nature H.I. If it does you some good to throw something out here on occasion just to get other people's thoughts there's nothing wrong with that. I understand why you would feel frustrated and feel like you can't make a difference in young lives anymore. I'm not saying this is the whole problem but a lot of it is what I would call the worst generation of parents ever. I hope things change for the better with you soon.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:02 pm

well, not exactly what i expected when i started this thread. but i'm glad you got to vent, H.I., and I hope your situation gets better soon.

ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:21 pm

ging wrote:well, not exactly what i expected when i started this thread.  but i'm glad you got to vent, H.I., and I hope your situation gets better soon.

I'm sorry to take it that direction. I really am.

For the first time in my professional career since 1998 when I left the railroad to get into teaching, I literally have no idea what I'm going to do with my life. It's been building a couple to three years and after 3 different stops in the past 3 years, I've realized it isn't just the place I'm in. I used to think I reached about 3/4 of the kids I had in class- some kids are just going to hate social studies no matter what. Now, I feel like about 3/4 of my classes hate the subject, me and being in my classes. There's a giant disconnect and I don't know how to bridge that gap, because as I said, I don't get their values.

I could go through the motions and probably hold onto a job for another 12 years until I retire, but like I tell the kids all the time in my classes- if you're not here to go all out, why be here?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:31 pm

OSUBucks wrote:

We know that you're not a whiner by nature H.I. If it does you some good to throw something out here on occasion just to get other people's thoughts there's nothing wrong with that. I understand why you would feel frustrated and feel like you can't make a difference in young lives anymore. I'm not saying this is the whole problem but a lot of it is what I would call the worst generation of parents ever. I hope things change for the better with you soon.
I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what has happened and I have a theory that involves changes in cultural values based on some of the Ruby Payne poverty stuff.

Based on her theories/observations/whatever that I was exposed to at Rantoul, there are decided differences in what people value based on what economic class they're raised in.  Wealthy people value certain things more than middle class and more than poverty.  Food is a good example.  People in poverty love McDonald's value menu because you can get a lot for pretty cheap.  Same for buffets.  Quality is of no issue.  It's about how much can I get, not if it's any good.  See Ramen noodles, other crap.  Middle class likes volume, but quality is more of a concern.  Wealthy people will pay $200 for a 4oz steak because quality and visual pleasure is of more value to them than quantity.  They can buy as much as they want.  

I was raised in a decidedly middle class family/community/era.  I don't think kids are raised in a similar set of values and beliefs.  They don't value authority, experience, hard work, dedication, etc and their beliefs align more with a poverty set of beliefs.  I think our country as a whole is headed that direction.  Just look at how we discredit anyone with any amount of success.  I don't know how to relate to that mindset and our school systems are definitely currently designed to cater to that mindset.  Hell, I had a kid tell me the other day the only reason I got to go to college was because of my "privilege" (good job Khalfie on being on the future curve on that trend).  I said that I got to go to college because my dad hauled like 2.5 million gallons of fuel and I weed eated every bridge in DeWitt County and dug up septic tanks for 4 years.  He looked stunned that I didn't just come from some trust fund outfit. (This was from a white kid whose family is loaded, but he's fully bought into the poverty mindset that anyone who's had some success had to have it handed to him. That's what he's been taught his whole life)

I have no idea what is going on anymore.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:44 pm

crusader
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:13 am

Head Idiot wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what has happened and I have a theory that involves changes in cultural values based on some of the Ruby Payne poverty stuff.

Based on her theories/observations/whatever that I was exposed to at Rantoul, there are decided differences in what people value based on what economic class they're raised in.  Wealthy people value certain things more than middle class and more than poverty.  Food is a good example.  People in poverty love McDonald's value menu because you can get a lot for pretty cheap.  Same for buffets.  Quality is of no issue.  It's about how much can I get, not if it's any good.  See Ramen noodles, other crap.  Middle class likes volume, but quality is more of a concern.  Wealthy people will pay $200 for a 4oz steak because quality and visual pleasure is of more value to them than quantity.  They can buy as much as they want.  

I was raised in a decidedly middle class family/community/era.  I don't think kids are raised in a similar set of values and beliefs.  They don't value authority, experience, hard work, dedication, etc and their beliefs align more with a poverty set of beliefs.  I think our country as a whole is headed that direction.  Just look at how we discredit anyone with any amount of success.  I don't know how to relate to that mindset and our school systems are definitely currently designed to cater to that mindset.  Hell, I had a kid tell me the other day the only reason I got to go to college was because of my "privilege" (good job Khalfie on being on the future curve on that trend).  I said that I got to go to college because my dad hauled like 2.5 million gallons of fuel and I weed eated every bridge in DeWitt County and dug up septic tanks for 4 years.  He looked stunned that I didn't just come from some trust fund outfit. (This was from a white kid whose family is loaded, but he's fully bought into the poverty mindset that anyone who's had some success had to have it handed to him.  That's what he's been taught his whole life)

I have no idea what is going on anymore.

I hear what you are saying. I am in my 10th year and education has definitely changed in those 10 years. I work in a very working class district and lots of kids work their tails off to get out of the working class but I definitely see some resentment towards the kids who have it a bit easier off. I don't believe there are any 'trust fund' kids in my district but definitely families who have worked their way from working class to upper middle class.

I absolutely love my job and have never had these type of issues with any of the school's I've worked at but I completely understand why you are a bit skeptical on your career right now especially being in the situation you have been in the past few years. I guess I am lucky enough to have worked in districts and with admin that work with the teachers and will defend them. It's sad if they don't go out and defend you. Especially with the recording you teaching issue. A student in the town I live in recorded a private conversation and was charged with a crime for doing it. Not sure if this would fall under the same law but definitely not the right thing to do without you knowing.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:17 am

OSUBucks wrote:We know that you're not a whiner by nature H.I.

Right! H.I. is that "glass half full" kind of a guy.

Never a disparaging comment about anything.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsefeather Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:19 pm

First, you cannot be videotaped without your permission.  That is a legal issue.  It sounds to me like your administration just diffused the situation by telling you to confiscate the phones.  I don't think they didn't support you, but probably didn't want to escalate the issue either.  If it happens again though, you need to speak to a union rep (I know you're not a union fan, but I'm assuming you're still a member) as it is a violation of your rights.

Yes, teaching has changed.  There are things that I did as a teacher twenty years ago that I don't do now.  I also agree that there's more peripheral BS to deal with than before.  I told my superintendent two years ago that I'm working harder & longer now, with more stress, than I did at the 8-10 year mark of my career.  That shocked him.  I've also commented that I'm no longer a history teacher.  I teach study skills, reading skills, & writing skills, using historical content.  Its all the data recording, record keeping, and evaluation that takes the time away from being able to prepare quality lessons for the classroom.

There are pedagogical principles and practices that are fundamentally sound that will not disappear from my classroom, and I'm a stickler on them.  But there are other things that I'm willing to ebb and flow with to a degree.  I've also learned that if I communicate those things to the kids up front, and hold them to those responsibilities early and consistently the kids, although sometimes very reluctantly, come around.  It also goes without saying that after 26 years in the same building, the kids know what to expect from me.  Hell, I taught a lot of their parents.  Being a new teacher in a new district (again), the kids are trying to figure you out... what they can get away with, what they can't.  Hold your ground on the things you won't compromise.  You have dealt with a lot of pretty radical change in your professional life in the last three years.  And people, as a whole, don't handle change well.  You need to get your feet back under you again.

Yes, the kids have changed as well.  There is more apathy, there is more of the attitude you described.  On the whole, we cater to the kids that struggle academically.  There are more supports in place for those students, and unfortunately, they need them because as a whole, they are not getting the supports at home.  Unfortunately, it's the students who do achieve well, that don't get pushed as they should.

I have been exactly where you are at in the past.  8-10 years ago, I really thought a hard about what I could do otherwise, but now I'm to the point that I have about 8 years left and I've decided that I will just put my head down, and make the most of the ride.  But, I've also been re-energized in a few different ways that have changed my perspective.  I was blessed to have great friends in the coaching world who helped me to realize that I was doing things right & made me a part of the SHG family.  My experiences there, although minor compared to what others were doing, did wonders for my confidence.   I'm teaching Keaton this year, which challenges me on a daily basis to be the best I can day in and day out.  I'm also experiencing new challenges by coaching soccer & track... which I had never done before, and it's been a lot of fun to help build those programs at Morris.  My motivations have become more intrinsic.  Then again, anyone who gets into teaching for the extrinsic motivations needs to have a lobotomy.  

If you are truly miserable, then yes, talk to TRS and make an informed decision about what you want to do.  But, if you truly still think you have fuel left in the tank for the classroom, figure out a way to deal with it.
Horsefeather
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:27 pm

@Horsefeather week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post Tumblr_ne2xgj19sh1rnhnqfo1_500
tincup1215
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Got an email today that a student is going on vacation from yesterday until October 2nd.  To prevent her from falling behind, her parents have requested we scan all homework assigned, all notes taken, and all pages from textbooks that the homework may come from.

I mean, if you're THAT worried about it, you could, you know, not go on vacation for 2 weeks.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsefeather Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:10 pm

I had a similar situation. Girl went on vacation starting September 4... won't be back until the 24th. And does not have internet to get assignments online.

Oh yea... and she never told me. Her guidance counselor contacted me the day she was leaving to see if I knew. He then pulled her 10 minutes early from her last hour class of the day, so he could tell her to come find me and get assignments.

She left class, never showed up in guidance, never came to see me.

She will receive very little quarter from me when she returns.

Horsefeather
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Got an email today that a student is going on vacation from yesterday until October 2nd.  To prevent her from falling behind, her parents have requested we scan all homework assigned, all notes taken, and all pages from textbooks that the homework may come from.

I mean, if you're THAT worried about it, you could, you know, not go on vacation for 2 weeks.

In this type of situation I usually tell the student to wait until after they get back to get the assignments. In my experience they never get done anyway while they are vacation. When they return back, I typically make an "Optional Homework Assignment" that students who like completing study guides and things of that nature turn in for an extra grade. I call it optional becuase if you don't complete the assignment it doesn't hurt your grade. Anyway, I make this assignment mandantory for the student along with any other collected work they miss. The optional homework is basically a way for the students to reteach the material to themselves so this way if the student chooses to miss my class they must teach themselves the material they missed.

I've never had a parent complain about this yet.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:34 am

People's, but most specifically kids', addiction to phones is simply terrifying and maddening.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:41 am

Head Idiot wrote:People's, but most specifically kids', addiction to phones is simply terrifying and maddening.

(Posting from my phone)

I agree
tincup1215
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next