week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:59 pm

tincup1215 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:People's, but most specifically kids', addiction to phones is simply terrifying and maddening.

(Posting from my phone)

I agree
Saw this article and it brought back this discussion-

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/06/26/the-mere-presence-of-your-smartphone-reduces-brain-power/
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:44 am

Little update, because why not?

I've decided it is time for me to move on to something else in my life. The issue, is to what. I've applied a number of places, but I'm finding it's either my work background or my age, but most of the stuff I'm applying for- lawn care company, cemetery, general labor in a factory, etc- I'm not getting any interest from. I interviewed for the 1st 2 on that list, got offered the first one, but it was too steep a pay cut to do to my family. The cemetery gig I really wanted, but they said no. I've probably applied a dozen to 20 other jobs and not gotten any sniffs. Hell, I got turned down to install Direct TV stuff (which pays about as much as I make now oddly enough). I did take the test to work in the prison system, but it takes 8-10 weeks to hear back on that- at least that's what they said. It's actually pretty depressing.

Teaching just isn't for me anymore. Whether I've changed or the kids, it doesn't really matter anymore. They're not engaged and I'm miserable and why spend the next decade and a half miserable?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by dusty7 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Little update, because why not?

I've decided it is time for me to move on to something else in my life.  The issue, is to what.  I've applied a number of places, but I'm finding it's either my work background or my age, but most of the stuff I'm applying for- lawn care company, cemetery, general labor in a factory, etc- I'm not getting any interest from.  I interviewed for the 1st 2 on that list, got offered the first one, but it was too steep a pay cut to do to my family.  The cemetery gig I really wanted, but they said no.  I've probably applied a dozen to 20 other jobs and not gotten any sniffs.  Hell, I got turned down to install Direct TV stuff (which pays about as much as I make now oddly enough).  I did take the test to work in the prison system, but it takes 8-10 weeks to hear back on that- at least that's what they said.  It's actually pretty depressing.

Teaching just isn't for me anymore.  Whether I've changed or the kids, it doesn't really matter anymore.  They're not engaged and I'm miserable and why spend the next decade and a half miserable?

That sucks that your experiences the past few years have been so negative. I can honestly say that I am 100% happy teaching and I have had very few of the negative experiences you speak of. I think part of it is that you have been RIF'd which is one of the worst feelings in the world (I've been there twice) and possibly the districts you have worked for. But good luck in your job search and I hope it all works out well for you.
dusty7
dusty7
Bee-otch

Posts : 880
Join date : 2010-06-21
Location : Grundy County

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:24 pm

dusty7 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:Little update, because why not?

I've decided it is time for me to move on to something else in my life.  The issue, is to what.  I've applied a number of places, but I'm finding it's either my work background or my age, but most of the stuff I'm applying for- lawn care company, cemetery, general labor in a factory, etc- I'm not getting any interest from.  I interviewed for the 1st 2 on that list, got offered the first one, but it was too steep a pay cut to do to my family.  The cemetery gig I really wanted, but they said no.  I've probably applied a dozen to 20 other jobs and not gotten any sniffs.  Hell, I got turned down to install Direct TV stuff (which pays about as much as I make now oddly enough).  I did take the test to work in the prison system, but it takes 8-10 weeks to hear back on that- at least that's what they said.  It's actually pretty depressing.

Teaching just isn't for me anymore.  Whether I've changed or the kids, it doesn't really matter anymore.  They're not engaged and I'm miserable and why spend the next decade and a half miserable?

That sucks that your experiences the past few years have been so negative.  I can honestly say that I am 100% happy teaching and I have had very few of the negative experiences you speak of.  I think part of it is that you have been RIF'd which is one of the worst feelings in the world (I've been there twice) and possibly the districts you have worked for.  But good luck in your job search and I hope it all works out well for you.  
I've actually been RIF'd twice.  I was going to be RIF'd at Clinton, but actually got the job at Cerro Gordo before the board could vote on it, so technically I resigned.

I don't know that the places I've been has been a deciding factor.  I know when I left CG I fell into the whole "this place" mentality and I really thought it was just things specific to that school/community that had changed.  But, I found the same frustrations and problems with being a teacher in Sullivan and Lincoln as I did in CG.  Like I said, I don't know anymore if it's my having changed or the kids, but something has and it isn't working for anyone. I do know that had CG not changed- and not just in football results- from my first 4 years there in 2010-2013, I'd have never left. That was fun on a whole bunch of levels.

I think my wife put it best- I'm like my grandma was at the end of her life- just waiting to die.  I've come to grips with the fact that I'm done, I've gone through all the steps of it, now I'm just waiting for it to end.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Horsefeather on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:14 am

Sounds like you've explored the options as best you can, we have a friend up here that just pulled the plug on his career at 20 years because he'd had enough. As long as you are at peace with it, and you & the family have put it together, I guess there's nothing else for you to do.

Good luck, HP.
Horsefeather
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

Posts : 622
Join date : 2008-07-09
Age : 47
Location : Morris, Illinois

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by lefty120 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:34 am

Totally hear you HI...I've been in 22 years, and there are many days that are still rewarding, but I don't question anyone who makes the decision you are. I had a colleague step away to sell insurance a couple years ago...he comes back and has lunch with us from time to time...he seems so happy it pisses me off sometimes and I want to punch him in the face:)...Life's too short to be unhappy! You will figure it out I have no doubt.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Posts : 282
Join date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by wolverine55 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:41 am

lefty120 wrote:Totally hear you HI...I've been in 22 years, and there are many days that are still rewarding, but I don't question anyone who makes the decision you are.  I had a colleague step away to sell insurance a couple years ago...he comes back and has lunch with us from time to time...he seems so happy it pisses me off sometimes and I want to punch him in the face:)...Life's too short to be unhappy!  You will figure it out I have no doubt.  

This is exactly how I feel.  I still have those days--one of which was yesterday actually!-- but I don't question anyone who feels the need to leave teaching right now.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3010
Join date : 2008-09-27
Age : 39
Location : Keokuk, Iowa

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by 4a(6afornet)north on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:29 pm

While not a teacher, one day heading to work after over 35 years at the same employer I decided I no longer wanted to do it any more. Tired of working 12 hr shifts,working Saturdays and Sundays,working holidays. Like you my heart was no longer in it. The job was good for me and my family,but it was time to move on. I was scared to death to do it but I regret nothing 2 and 1/2 years later. Took a job straight days Monday-Friday working 7:45 am til about 4:30. Get to see my kids more and see my grand kids wether it be in soccer,baseball or a school program.

Had my uncle tell me years and years ago that if you don't like what you are doing,don't...best advice I ever got.You have to do what's best for you. Good luck in whatever you decide.

4a(6afornet)north
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1554
Join date : 2008-07-09
Age : 57
Location : standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by ging on Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:02 pm

4a(6afornet)north wrote:

Had my uncle tell me years and years ago that if you don't like what you are doing,don't...best advice I ever got.You have to do what's best for you.

amen
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 2621
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 51
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by newcom on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:37 pm

HI, hope all goes well for you in your search, I was in Sales way to long and HATED going to work. I got the opportunity in 2016 here at Newman and I've never been happier (according to my wife, LOL. Find your passion and go with it!
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3233
Join date : 2008-09-25
Age : 52
Location : In the land of wordless books.

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:36 am

So, while looking through jobs this morning I ran across this posting on Simply Hired that I thought looked interesting-

Smuggler - Hutt Cartel
Jeff Pro - United States
19 hours ago
Full-time
Estimated: $39,000 - $50,000 a year
A smuggler, also known by the euphemism free trader, is someone who engages in the clandestine shipment of goods or people to prevent taxation by Imperials. The goods shipped are often highly illegal or banned in some sectors.

In the words of Lando Calrissian:
"A good smuggler can handle just about anything-they fly through asteroid fields, play tag with nebulas and space storms, and they can land on anything. Nothing fazes them. I've seen them land ships while fighting uneven gravity fields on asteroids barely bigger than their vessels. Gravity shifts, atmospheric turbulence, sandstorms, blizzards, typhoons...you name it, they know how to handle it."

Requirements include:
The ability to avoid attacks from pirates and opportunists who would attempt to steal your cargo
Knowledge on how to avoid some of the most lawless star systems in order to remain safe
Keen skills to avoid trouble, and a modified ship not only for better cargo capacity, but also for greater speed and defense
Knowledge of smaller and less well-known routes to skirt Imperial strong points within the galaxy
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by net on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 am

Head Idiot wrote:So, while looking through jobs this morning I ran across this posting on Simply Hired that I thought looked interesting-

Smuggler - Hutt Cartel
Jeff Pro - United States
19 hours ago
Full-time
Estimated: $39,000 - $50,000 a year
A smuggler, also known by the euphemism free trader, is someone who engages in the clandestine shipment of goods or people to prevent taxation by Imperials. The goods shipped are often highly illegal or banned in some sectors.

In the words of Lando Calrissian:
"A good smuggler can handle just about anything-they fly through asteroid fields, play tag with nebulas and space storms, and they can land on anything. Nothing fazes them. I've seen them land ships while fighting uneven gravity fields on asteroids barely bigger than their vessels. Gravity shifts, atmospheric turbulence, sandstorms, blizzards, typhoons...you name it, they know how to handle it."

Requirements include:
The ability to avoid attacks from pirates and opportunists who would attempt to steal your cargo
Knowledge on how to avoid some of the most lawless star systems in order to remain safe
Keen skills to avoid trouble, and a modified ship not only for better cargo capacity, but also for greater speed and defense
Knowledge of smaller and less well-known routes to skirt Imperial strong points within the galaxy

did you apply?
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 4906
Join date : 2009-11-08
Age : 54
Location : in the patch

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:59 am

I clicked the apply now button.  It takes you to the "company" website to fill stuff out.  Haven't had time to fill it all out yet.  Kinda debating if I should fill it out as Han Solo.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by net on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:59 am

Head Idiot wrote:I clicked the apply now button.  It takes you to the "company" website to fill stuff out.  Haven't had time to fill it all out yet.  Kinda debating if I should fill it out as Han Solo.

you are more like chewbacca.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 4906
Join date : 2009-11-08
Age : 54
Location : in the patch

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Vanilla on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Head Idiot wrote:So, while looking through jobs this morning I ran across this posting on Simply Hired that I thought looked interesting-

Smuggler - Hutt Cartel
Jeff Pro - United States
19 hours ago
Full-time
Estimated: $39,000 - $50,000 a year
A smuggler, also known by the euphemism free trader, is someone who engages in the clandestine shipment of goods or people to prevent taxation by Imperials. The goods shipped are often highly illegal or banned in some sectors.

In the words of Lando Calrissian:
"A good smuggler can handle just about anything-they fly through asteroid fields, play tag with nebulas and space storms, and they can land on anything. Nothing fazes them. I've seen them land ships while fighting uneven gravity fields on asteroids barely bigger than their vessels. Gravity shifts, atmospheric turbulence, sandstorms, blizzards, typhoons...you name it, they know how to handle it."

Requirements include:
The ability to avoid attacks from pirates and opportunists who would attempt to steal your cargo
Knowledge on how to avoid some of the most lawless star systems in order to remain safe
Keen skills to avoid trouble, and a modified ship not only for better cargo capacity, but also for greater speed and defense
Knowledge of smaller and less well-known routes to skirt Imperial strong points within the galaxy

I mainly lurk around here at irregular intervals to keep an eye out for the honor of Ogle and its collar counties, but I see most of the discussion on here eventually. HI, in the 14,450 posts you've made on here over the years (not counting the old forum), this is probably your best. Assuming they still exist, I nominate it for a Golden Belly.

Seriously, though, good luck in your next professional endeavor. I hope you find something that you find truly rewarding both financially and spiritually.
Vanilla
Vanilla
Bee-otch

Posts : 225
Join date : 2009-11-06
Age : 44
Location : Ogle County

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by net on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 pm

i'm the only person allowed to give nominations and award golden bellies.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 4906
Join date : 2009-11-08
Age : 54
Location : in the patch

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm

net wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:I clicked the apply now button.  It takes you to the "company" website to fill stuff out.  Haven't had time to fill it all out yet.  Kinda debating if I should fill it out as Han Solo.

you are more like chewbacca.
It would be a lot easier to fill out as Chewy.
Name- arhfhdbd
Address- ajrjfbdjsk sshdbj...
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:55 pm

So, yesterday we took the US Constitution Test. 54% of the kids who took it failed.

Today in class I mentioned that when talking about retakes. One student- who passed- asked if I thought the high amount of failures was an indication of my teaching ability. I said I didn't think it was. I think it is more an indication of your abilities or desire to pay attention and learn.

And that, is where I think the exact divide between me and education is.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:54 pm

However, we did do the Constitution as our SLO pre test too. I just never graded the pre test until today because, reasons.

The average score on yesterday's test? 61.36.

The average score on the pre test? 34.16

Not too shabby for me I would say.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Outdoors on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:54 am

So Head Idiot, what have you decided in your job search? I came across this topic before Christmas break and was hanging on every word of your posts b/c I'm in the exact same predicament. I've been teacher a few years less than you but have reached a breaking point where you just know: It's time. I'm burnt toast at the end of every year, spend 2-3 weeks in June flushing the PTSD out and knowing that the bad kids that left are gone...however with every new year there is another bunch to replace them. When looking for new careers, I get lulled into the enjoyments of summer and then find myself trudging back in August to something that I probably shouldn't have gotten into in the first place. Thank you for sharing your situation b/c I am in the same boat!

Outdoors
Bee-otch

Posts : 8
Join date : 2019-01-13

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Teetime on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 am

Why do you people talk nice to HI?

It only encourages him.

_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
Teetime
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 6336
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Outdoors wrote:So Head Idiot, what have you decided in your job search?  I came across this topic before Christmas break and was hanging on every word of your posts b/c I'm in the exact same predicament.  I've been teacher a few years less than you but have reached a breaking point where you just know:  It's time.  I'm burnt toast at the end of every year, spend 2-3 weeks in June flushing the PTSD out and knowing that the bad kids that left are gone...however with every new year there is another bunch to replace them.  When looking for new careers, I get lulled into the enjoyments of summer and then find myself trudging back in August to something that I probably shouldn't have gotten into in the first place.  Thank you for sharing your situation b/c I am in the same boat!
It's good to know I'm not a unique kind of crazy. Laughing

I haven't decided to do anything. I applied to roughly 15-20 jobs probably from October to Thanksgiving. I never heard anything from any of them after Columbus day. So, at this point, I'm just riding out the year and see where that takes me. I did apply for one other teaching/coaching opportunity, but it's a very much different situation than I'm used to and I don't know if they'd have any interest in me. I figure I'm either their top candidate (based on resume) or they'd rather stab themselves in the eye than hire me. I haven't heard anything yet on it, which makes me believe it may be the latter.

There may be an opportunity to take over my dad's job soon (driving a fuel truck to deliver to farmers), but the company hasn't decided to do anything specific yet. I'm in a weird spot in that if you look at my job experience you probably just see a teacher, so for some of the labor jobs and other things I've applied for they probably just skip over it.

Christmas break was good for me. Got to flush out a lot of the negative stuff that had built up. It was really the first extended break I'd had without some sort of coaching obligation to fulfill in almost 2-3 years. So far, at least for the first week, with no coaching to do after school (weight room or any of that stuff), the job has been very manageable. I don't necessarily enjoy it, and I don't think I'm reaching anymore people, but it hasn't been a nightmare to show up, do my thing, and leave ASAP at the end of the day.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that I'm in a hold pattern. If they teaching/coaching thing is available I will give it serious consideration. If not, I may just go drive a truck. I do know I can't move my family again. I can't keep doing that to them.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by ging on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:48 pm

HI - have you considered giving up coaching all together and continuing to teach?
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 2621
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 51
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:53 pm

ging wrote:HI - have you considered giving up coaching all together and continuing to teach?
I have, but I don't know that that is an option where I am at currently as the coaching part was a big part of why I got the job. I've also always said that if I wasn't coaching, why teach since the coaching portion was what really drove me into the profession in the first place. There's a lot of things I would probably equally enjoy that pay a lot more that I could be doing for my family than teaching.

But, apparently getting into those things are hard to do as a 42 year old 20 year teacher.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Outdoors on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:53 am

So HI, What is your approach right now? I am just a bit younger than you and recently emailed TRS. I'm not thrilled about a low pension I'd get, but it'd hurt even worse with what they'd take out if I took a lump sum. I'm hoping when/if I get a new career that my pension will be so low that Social sec. doesn't even bother reducing it. That is the conundrum, live a miserable life for the next 15-20 yrs to get a decent retirement or work a bit longer at something you have no idea whether you'll like long term.

Outdoors
Bee-otch

Posts : 8
Join date : 2019-01-13

Back to top Go down

week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post - Page 3 Empty Re: week 4 of the football season and nearly 2 days without a single post

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum