Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus II

+18
HHSTigerFan2
oldmanpfoot
OSUBucks
ging
OldTitan
newcom
center
Pike Bishop
tps
lefty120
wolverine55
Teetime
BirdWatcher
dusty7
ramblinman
net
Head Idiot
19delta
22 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Coronavirus II - Page 18 Empty Re: Coronavirus II

Post by BirdWatcher Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:48 am

"Trevon Logan, who is black, said orders to wear face coverings are “basically telling people to look dangerous given racial stereotypes that are out there.”" Huh?

I profiled someone the other day. At the Walmart parking lot, a couple young men in a car with Knox County plates. Plates weren't unusual; we have a National Park here, lotsa hikers. But they were in a "low-rider" car (or maybe the shocks were just broke down). They had straight-bill ballcaps, not the curved pussy-Nascar type you typically see in the South. They weren't dressed like hikers or outdoorsmen. They looked unkempt. So I removed my gun from the center console and put it in the cup holder, just in case. They were white.

Later that day driving home I saw another couple young men, walking down the road near my house. Profiled them as well. THEY WERE ARMED! Rifles slung over their shoulders. In camo pants. Normal ballcaps, not the ones I associate with rioters. I didn't feel the need to make my gun accessible. They were also white.

"Profiling" is a bullshit name for situational awareness. Humans have been making decisions based on visual cues for thousands of years.

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:19 pm

BirdWatcher wrote: Humans have been making decisions based on visual cues for thousands of years.

written cues, too
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:35 pm

The point is, you take what information you know (societal, historical, anecdotal, institutional, personal) and apply to every situation.

Me?   I love dogs.  Probably more than people.  If I see a Black Lab. I make a situational analysis and judge how fast his tail is wagging, etc, and usually determine my chances of getting bit are low.  Black Labs Matter.

If I see a Chihuahua, I also apply my knowledge and know that my chances of getting bit are ALOT higher, but the situation is not "dangerous."

If I see a Rottweiler I know my chances aof getting bit AND hurt are exponentially higher than with the lab.

Call me a dogist if you must.

Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:26 pm

BirdWatcher wrote:The point is, you take what information you know (societal, historical, anecdotal, institutional, personal) and apply to every situation.

Me?   I love dogs.  Probably more than people.  If I see a Black Lab. I make a situational analysis and judge how fast his tail is wagging, etc, and usually determine my chances of getting bit are low.  Black Labs Matter.

If I see a Chihuahua, I also apply my knowledge and know that my chances of getting bit are ALOT higher, but the situation is not "dangerous."

If I see a Rottweiler I know my chances aof getting bit AND hurt are exponentially higher than with the lab.

Call me a dogist if you must.
You'd be racist if you said something about pit bulls...
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/08/racism-and-the-american-pit-bull
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:35 pm

New cases were up again today with 894. Testing is also up though with 31,686 in the last 24 hours. Positivity rate is at 3%
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:41 am

OSUBucks wrote:More than 99.9% of us will survive this but what we've done to our economy will take years to fix. Honestly I doubt if it ever gets fixed. I don't see how the Federal government ever gets out of debt. Just paying the interest serving the debt is a huge number. More baby boomers retiring soon and the ratio of workers to retirees will only get worse.

I see what is going on here now.

This is a plot by all of you post baby-boom good for nothings to kill off as many baby-boomers as possible before we collect Social Security and Medicare.

Damn it, I should have guessed it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:44 am

Joe Biden wrote:“People don’t have a job, people don’t know where to go, they don’t know what to do,” Biden said Thursday. “Now we have over 120 million dead from COVID.”
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by net Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:45 am

OSUBucks wrote: It was only the 2nd time out to eat for me since March and it was dining outside. I love Darcy's chili and might head over there Friday.

met my son and his girlfriend for lunch yesterday. he picked d'arcy's. i had the chilli. very good. not as good as delaney's or joe roger's but still good.

their prices have gone up. we met at 1:45 and still had to wait 25 minutes for a table. and the people kept coming. allow for some extra time if you go today.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:50 am

OSUBucks wrote:New cases were up again today with 894. Testing is also up though with 31,686 in the last 24 hours. Positivity rate is at 3%

It does seem like the southern and western states are really going up in all the bad stats right now. Think Pritzger will make people coming in from AZ, CA, TX and FL quarantine for two weeks?

We thought it would go away in the warm weather! I heard a doctor speculate that it's all the air conditioning circulating the droplets around.

Was there no A/C in the previous years with the flu when it petered out in the summer, or is this virus just more virulent?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:51 am

Head Idiot wrote:
Joe Biden wrote:“People don’t have a job, people don’t know where to go, they don’t know what to do,” Biden said Thursday. “Now we have over 120 million dead from COVID.”  

Wow it is a lot worse than I thought.

Admin

ging likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:52 am

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

Wow it is a lot worse than I thoght.
I know, right?

+1
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:45 am

Teetime wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:New cases were up again today with 894. Testing is also up though with 31,686 in the last 24 hours. Positivity rate is at 3%

It does seem like the southern and western states are really going up in all the bad stats right now. Think Pritzger will make people coming in from AZ, CA, TX and FL quarantine for two weeks?

We thought it would go away in the warm weather! I heard a doctor speculate that it's all the air conditioning circulating the droplets around.

Was there no A/C in the previous years with the flu when it petered out in the summer, or is this virus just more virulent?

At this time Pritzker doesn't plan on quarantining people returning from the states you mentioned. It would really be difficult to enforce anyway. The new cases in Florida, Texas and California were all over 5000 yesterday which is pretty alarming. I figured the virus would burn itself out once we got to Summer but in some Southern states it's getting worse. I know a lot of people in those states have had a carefree attitude, going out in crowded public gatherings and not wearing masks. As I've said before wearing a mask is the most important thing you can do when going out.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:06 am

Read an interesting statement that caught my eye this morning as I woke up to workout- By the time the numbers are added up and settled out, COVID will end up having similar illness and death rates to vaccines when they are first tested/released to the public.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:08 pm

The Governors of Texas and Florida have both announced that they're closing down the bars.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:04 pm

857 new cases for Friday and there were 30,425 tests. Illinois still hanging at 3% positivity which is pretty good.

Florida had 8942 new cases which I think is a record for any state so far.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:59 pm

Children under the age of 17 in Illinois killed by COVID - 2
Children killed by gunfire in Chicago this weekend 4

What is the priority here?
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:18 am

dusty7 wrote:What is the priority here?

That we are all able to live long, happy and productive lives. That we all have a chance to accomplish something great with our lives. That we all die of a heart attack at the age of 93 while having sex with someone we love.

That is what I have always heard.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 am

dusty7 wrote:Children under the age of 17 in Illinois killed by COVID - 2
Children killed by gunfire in Chicago this weekend 4

What is the priority here?

Right now it's all about COVID19 and using the Pandemic to beat Trump in November. The Democrats can't do much about gun control in Washington right now because they don't have the votes in the US Senate. There's a reasonable chance that the anti Trump wave will win the Senate for the Democrats as well as the Presidency. The GOP has a lot more Senate seats to defend this time around and I think that happens. If that happens the Democrats will introduce their solution to the gun violence problem sometime next year which is more gun control legislation. It won't put a dent in the gun violence problem but in the short run it will make the Democratic base voter happy.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:46 am

OSUBucks wrote:There's a reasonable chance that the anti Trump wave will win the Senate for the Democrats as well as the Presidency.

Ya, I heard it was a 97% chance..... Cool

Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:06 pm

OSUBucks wrote:If that happens the Democrats will introduce their solution to the gun violence problem sometime next year which is more gun control legislation. It won't put a dent in the gun violence problem but in the short run it will make the Democratic base voter happy.

Unless the senate races produce 60 democratic voting senators, there won't be any gun control legislation that gets past the senate filibuster.

That seem highly unlikely.....even greater than 97% unlikely.

A more likely outcome would be that President Donald Trump, in his second term, decides he no longer needs to try and keep the support of the conservative Republicans. They no longer have any value to him personally so why get beat-up by the Times every week? He would switch over to a gun control advocate and start signing Executive Orders that strip away Second Amendment rights. That is more like a 15% chance.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Teetime wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:If that happens the Democrats will introduce their solution to the gun violence problem sometime next year which is more gun control legislation. It won't put a dent in the gun violence problem but in the short run it will make the Democratic base voter happy.

Unless the senate races produce 60 democratic voting senators, there won't be any gun control legislation that gets past the senate filibuster.

That seem highly unlikely.....even greater than 97% unlikely.

A more likely outcome would be that President Donald Trump, in his second term, decides he no longer needs to try and keep the support of the conservative Republicans. They no longer have any value to him personally so why get beat-up by the Times every week? He would switch over to a gun control advocate and start signing Executive Orders that strip away Second Amendment rights. That is more like a 15% chance.

Should that happen one of those Executive orders would be appealed to the SCOTUS. I don't know how that one would come out. Roberts has been voting with the 4 Liberals a lot lately.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Illinois had 738 new cases today and 14 deaths. Yesterday there were 15 deaths so our fatalities has been way down the last two days. Our positivity rate continues to decrease, from June 22-28 it is 2.7%. This morning I heard that Florida was over 12% positivity rate.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:25 pm

OSUBucks wrote:Illinois had 738 new cases today and 14 deaths. Yesterday there were 15 deaths so our fatalities has been way down the last two days. Our positivity rate continues to decrease, from June 22-28 it is 2.7%. This morning I heard that Florida was over 12% positivity rate.

cass county is 10.8%. another death yesterday. they just put my brother-in-law's grandma on oxygen. not looking good.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:43 pm

Last edited by 19delta on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 pm

All you have seen on the news is the increasing in positive cases but you see nothing about the declining death rate associated with COVID. Supposedly the virus has mutated and is now mildly, of at all, affecting younger individuals, yet doom and gloom on the news.

Just today, I have seen 4 motorcycle deaths in Will/Kankakee County area. 19 deaths in past 3 days in Chicago by gun violence, and 4 were children under 17.

It is unfortunate that some people will die from this virus, it is unfortunate that kids are being shot on a daily basis, it is unfortunate that traffic accidents fatalities occurs, it is unfortunate that people fight cancer and rarely win.

We can't save the lives of all individuals everyday from every cause of death. We have to learn to live with this disease. Treatment has improved and a vaccine will definitely help but will not make this disease disappear.

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next