Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phase 4 = high school football?

+25
Pike Bishop
tm
4a(6afornet)north
tps
ging
dusty7
Teetime
guerin2.0
footballguy99
Bighitter11
Cyclone1
streatorfan88
HHSTigerFan2
newcom
wolverine55
ramblinman
center
lefty120
19delta
mc140
BirdWatcher
Head Idiot
net
OldTitan
OSUBucks
29 posters

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 8 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by lefty120 Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:54 am

Cyclone1 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
net wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
center wrote:Contact days/competitions in the summer might end up costing us a season. What was wrong with just having the distanced strength and conditioning until August? 
Cuz it be grnd szn!
#NoOffszn  
#Born2Grnd  
#ChampionsRMadeNJune

In seriousness, the amount of people acting like kids were going to keel over dead without an offseason program is ridiculous. So is the notion that everyone's going to be just running dive without camps and contact days.

some of us do more than 'rtfb'. or whatever your slogan was.

as well as playing m/m coverage every snap.
And they forgot everything from last year too right?

And, looking at your schedule, if you started the first day of when practice was scheduled to start, you've got a month before you play anyone anyway.

My youngest came home from Freshman football after his first day in pads so fired up.  He enjoyed it so much.  His team has a lot of first time players who desperately need to have the time to learn the proper blocking and tackling techniques.  It is easier for coaches to do it now than a couple of weeks before the season.  Keep in mind Freshmen are excited when varsity coaches come down and work with them (I have heard more things that Coach Net said this week, my son loved it) . They do not have the time when practice starts 2-3 weeks before the season.   That is what the kids are going to miss.  

Completely agree!

lefty120
Bee-otch

net likes this post

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 8 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by lefty120 Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:59 am

OldTitan wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:My son's JFL league just canceled their season.

So. \"f\"ing. Stupid.

I probably will get negative voted to oblivion for this, but I wish every JFL would cancel their season.

I would like to see Illinois go to a Junior High model, with fully certified coaches - preferably with substantial input from the high school staff, and kids wearing tackle bars. Starting kids in third grade in full tackle football is contrary to current medical science, (brain health, not Covid-19 concerns). Further, it is so much harder to get kids to try football if they had a negative JFL experience. Very few, if any, JFL programs help numbers at the HS level no matter how well-intentioned the program might be.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

I’m in the minority here as our JFL is really well done and many of the guys who coach it have coached HS in the past or have decent FB backgrounds...but I think there would be a lot of support for this concept.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:03 am

dusty7 wrote:In Monticello, we didn't start playing until 5th grade and I feel that is about the right age to start playing.  Not sure of they are in that same league but they do have a fairly strong Flag Football league.  

Up here in the North, kids start in early elementary which is way to early in my opinion.  

My oldest started JFL in 3rd grade and the league they played in started in kindergarten...kindergarten for Christ sakes. I regret him starting that early. His mother was crazy to do that and I was afraid of her 😂.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:32 pm

Jim Unruh was asked at a clinic one time how he “overcame” lack of youth football as there was none in Carthage at the time. He laughed and said he was glad they didn’t have it.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:18 pm

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. (WMBD) — The Illinois High School Association announced that it will let state agencies take the lead on how to implement Return to Play guidelines starting July 14.

on June 20th:
OldTitan wrote:IHSA has made public a pathway to have some semblance of sports. If they get vetoed or modified by the IDPH - well then, they have passed the buck effectively haven't they?

As I, and many others predicted, the IHSA is kicking this down the road and passing the buck.

HeadofIHSA wrote:“We still believe there is a path to conducting high school athletics in the fall, like the majority of states surrounding Illinois plan to do,” said Anderson. “To make that happen, it’s important that we allow IDPH, ISBE, and the governor’s office to take the lead on ensuring the safest and most consistent protocols.”

Come on Man!

Go to bat for your members! Don't throw in the towel.

With the IHSA washing their hands of this football seems unlikely.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:35 pm

Agree, if you are hoping that we can have some HS football this fall the IDPH is not your friend. Illinois and Michigan are doing better than the rest of the Midwest with COVID19. Indiana and Iowa have positivity rates just over 8%. That said, unless the trend lines in Illinois improve in the next couple of weeks I expect the IDPH to kill the football season.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

OldTitan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyclone1 Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:11 am

I think it is important now that they (IHSA) wussed out is to lobby the Legislators hard, have parents, alumni everyone contact your State Reps and Senators, otherwise sports will be over.
Cyclone1
Cyclone1
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:14 am

OldTitan wrote:
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. (WMBD) — The Illinois High School Association announced that it will let state agencies take the lead on how to implement Return to Play guidelines starting July 14.

on June 20th:
OldTitan wrote:IHSA has made public a pathway to have some semblance of sports. If they get vetoed or modified by the IDPH - well then, they have passed the buck effectively haven't they?

As I, and many others predicted, the IHSA is kicking this down the road and passing the buck.

HeadofIHSA wrote:“We still believe there is a path to conducting high school athletics in the fall, like the majority of states surrounding Illinois plan to do,” said Anderson. “To make that happen, it’s important that we allow IDPH, ISBE, and the governor’s office to take the lead on ensuring the safest and most consistent protocols.”

Come on Man!

Go to bat for your members! Don't throw in the towel.

With the IHSA washing their hands of this football seems unlikely.
Modern leadership-CYA and pass the buck.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 am

wolverine55 wrote:Jim Unruh was asked at a clinic one time how he “overcame” lack of youth football as there was none in Carthage at the time. He laughed and said he was glad they didn’t have it.

John O'Boyle at Stockton said the same thing. He fought against youth football for years. Lots of really good players came out of Stockton not having played football until the 9th grade.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:53 pm

Started my kid in 2nd grade and would NEVER do that again! 7fth Grade is a perfect time to begin football with coaches who are certified and no Dads if possible.
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

OldTitan and guerin2.0 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:51 pm

newcom wrote:Started my kid in 2nd grade and would NEVER do that again! 7fth Grade is a perfect time to begin football with coaches who are certified and no Dads if possible.

Great point on the dads. Laughing Also today the state of Virginia canceled their HS football season.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

OldTitan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guerin2.0 Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:08 pm

Coaching youth sports for as long as I had, without ever having a kid on any of my sports teams, I know exactly where you guys are coming. Youth parents as coaches can be the absolute worst. Yeah, I understand that many are volunteers, but it doesn't mean that you know what you're doing nor does it mean that you're God's gift to coaching. Now, Im nowhere near perfect, so take this with a grain of salt, but I like the idea of certified coaches, with some kind of training in their particular sport, coaching once we hit the jr high level. I have my IHSA certification, so I was a bit of an anomaly where I was at the past few years, but man some people haven't the slightest idea on how to work with or teach young kids. I finally had it with all the parental bs and stepped away at the end of the 2018-19 school year. To be quite honest, I havent missed it as much as I thought I would. I miss the kids and I miss gameday from time to time, but the further and further I've removed myself the urge to return has pretty much gone away.
guerin2.0
guerin2.0
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:37 pm

We'd have more luck playing pick-up sticks with our butt-cheeks than we will getting a HS football season in this fall.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:44 am

At best right now I’m hoping for a shortened season situation. Start basketball late, go till end of Feb, football March and April, then baseball into the summer, which honestly, wouldn’t bother me at all. I’d like that to be the case anyway. Let baseball go until the end of June, give the kids a couple weeks off after baseball, then start football without any interruptions in mid July.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:11 pm

Just finished our back to school committee meeting for our building, and although there are still some kinks to work out, I feel very confident we will limit spread and still be able to adequately teach our kids.

We are
1. Plan is instruction 5 days a week - 1 student has elected for Virtual instruction, which will be provided by an outside company so teachers are not responsible for educating a student who is not in our building. The school will pay for this service but student cannot return to building until next semester.
2. Obviously, masks must be worn but teachers can have class outside to provide for a mask break as long as as kids are socially distant. If a student forgets a mask, one will be provided.
3. Desks will be cleaned by the students after use
4. Passing periods will be completed in 2 groups
5. All students will be issued Chromebooks with each teacher having extra for kids who forget or don't charge
6. Students will be asked to follow arrows on floors
7. Lunch will be split into 3 different locations (Cafetorium, Small Gym, and Extra Classroom) with assigned seats
8. Hand sanitizer will be provided before and after class for students
9. Teachers cannot hand out or collect papers, students must pick up and turn in.
10. Each teacher will be provided with extra school supplies for students who do not bring any with them
11. Temperature checks upon entering the building by admins and assigned morning duty teachers.

Obviously there is more to work out and like I told our Supt, like we saw with football workouts, the first few weeks will be ugly, but as long as we continue to enforce the regulations and guidelines, kids will figure it out.

Personally I will be implementing a Flipped Classroom approach in anticipation of remote or hybrid learning at some point in the year.

Last edited by dusty7 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:09 pm

Thanks Dusty.

What technology are you going to use for your flipped classroom?

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:16 pm

center wrote:Thanks Dusty.

What technology are you going to use for your flipped classroom?  

I will be using Google Classroom since we use the Google Education Suite and all students will be issued Chromebooks. I will not be using any textbooks and will be providing students with videos of me teaching PowerPoints, Websites, Podcasts, and other additional resources. Homework is a major issue for our students so even though most of the "learning" will be their responsibility, I am still going to provide some instruction to make sure they understand the key concepts. For this, I will use Screencastify to create short presentations along with using Google Meets should we be forced back into remote learning.

In class, students will be participating in simulations and labs, projects, debates/Structured Academic Controversies, and a variety of other application activities. I am going to do my best to make sure they are not just sitting at a desk answering questions on a Google Form.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:40 pm

So you will make videos with Screencastify?

Can you load those up on Google classroom easily.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:49 pm

I upload them you YouTube then share the link.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:03 am

Head Idiot wrote:We'd have more luck playing pick-up sticks with our butt-cheeks than we will.

I have been practicing. It’s not as hard as you make it sound.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:12 am

In what I can only call a confusing turn of events, the IHSA declares:
July 14th - we are turning everything over to the IDPH
July 15th - here are some new guidelines to the return to play. Which, by the way, included the sage advice that swimmers in the pool need not wear masks.

You cannot make this stuff up.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

center likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by net Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:17 pm

from 186 superintendent:

Plan Overview:
-Registration by July 31 is required for every student.
-Families must select one of two options:
-a hybrid/blended in-person and remote learning option OR,
-a fully remote learning option.
-After registration is complete, final schedules for hybrid/blended learning will be determined based on social distancing requirements.
-At any point in time we could return every student to fully remote learning if the data for our region calls for this.

Proposed Hybrid/Blended In-Person and Remote Learning models are as follows:
Pre-K: Attend in-person four (4) days, one (1) day of independent remote learning each week. Class sizes will be reduced to allow for social distancing.
Elementary (K-5): Attend in-person at least two (2) days, and possibly up to four (4) days depending on enrollment. We must follow CDC guidelines for the number of students that can be housed in each classroom daily. It is possible that students will attend on alternating days.
Middle (6-Cool: Attend in-person at least two (2) days, and possibly up to four (4) days depending on enrollment. We must follow CDC guidelines for the number of students that can be housed in each classroom daily. It is possible that students will attend on alternating days.
High (9-12): Attend in-person at least two (2) days, and possibly up to four (4) days depending on enrollment. We must follow CDC guidelines for the number of students that can be housed in each classroom daily. It is possible that students will attend on alternating days.

Fully Remote models are a follows:
Pre-K: Virtual direct instruction four (4) days per week, one (1) day of independent remote learning each week.
Elementary (K-5): Virtual direct instruction four (4) days per week, at least one (1) day of independent remote learning each week. Teachers in a remote learning model will teach some subjects on certain days and other subjects on other days, to be determined and communicated.
Middle (6-Cool: Daily virtual direct instruction (e.g., Zoom) with Monday as an independent learning day.
High (9-12): Daily virtual direct instruction (e.g., Zoom) with Monday as an independent learning day.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:44 pm

What do you guys think would happen if Trump changed course and said that NO SCHOOLS should open in the fall?

Would the people claiming schools should not open change their mind just to disagree with him?

Also, IFT send an email today saying that schools should not open because of the inconsistent positivity rate and increase non cases....last I checked positivity was between 2.4 and 3.1 for the past several weeks and although we have seen an increase in cases that is coupled with an increase in testing.

This is no longer about stopping the spread or saving lives, it is 100% political.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:13 pm

You mean the policy of “you must go back to school, no matter what” is 100% political and certainly not about stopping the spread or saving lives?

Or did you mean the opposite...” you must not go back to school, no matter what” is 100% political and certainly not about stopping the spread or saving lives?

Or both?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:11 pm

Teetime wrote:You mean the policy of “you must go back to school, no matter what” is 100% political and certainly not about stopping the spread or saving lives?

Or did you mean the opposite...” you must not go back to school, no matter what” is 100% political and certainly not about stopping the spread or saving lives?

Or both?

My point is that the statement by the IFT and various other Teacher Unions are driven more by politics than the science and the well-being of the students.  If Trump said a few weeks ago that schools should remain closed, these same unions would likely be stating all of the reasons why students need to be in schools.  

They say that their focus is on the "well-being of teachers and students," and I think with their record, their focus on is on getting Democrats elected to office.  

As a nation, the whole "stop the spread" has become politically motivated with CNN, MSNBC propagating fear, much of it useless fear as you will see below, while Fox is pushing the "it's my choice" narrative and it is causing an even greater divide in our country while those who want to know the truth have to do the research themselves.  If you look at the IDPH website, and not just the main page, but dig into the hospital usage, deaths, demographics etc., you will see the real information and can make your own opinion, rather than these idiotic and self-absorbed journalists make your opinions for you.  

I know this is off topic but the fear-mongering in this CNN article is absurd. "America's Poor Diet is Now Considered a Threat to National Security  it ties the increasing costs of poor health and it's diversion of funds from the Department of Defense, as a "major threat" to our security. A quote, "stating that diet-related illnesses are harming the readiness of the US military and the budgets of the US Department of Defense and the US Department of Veterans Affairs."  

If it isn't the corona that gets you, it will be some foreign country because you refused to put down the Oreos.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next