Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phase 4 = high school football?

+25
Pike Bishop
tm
4a(6afornet)north
tps
ging
dusty7
Teetime
guerin2.0
footballguy99
Bighitter11
Cyclone1
streatorfan88
HHSTigerFan2
newcom
wolverine55
ramblinman
center
lefty120
19delta
mc140
BirdWatcher
Head Idiot
net
OldTitan
OSUBucks
29 posters

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 9 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Teetime Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:36 pm

I think both of those positions I described are politically motivated.

The teachers union is taking the position favored by most of its members and the Trump administration is taking the position most favored by its supporters. Neither side is saying “let’s let the virus point us in the right direction”.

It does sound to me like school districts are giving themselves options so that they can respond to the virus. Good for them.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 9 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by dusty7 Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:05 am

The good thing is that districts do have a choice in how they handle what happens in their buildings. From what I have seen, regardless of what you do people are going to complain, too much school, too little school, inconvenience for parents, etc. Can't make everyone happy and those who aren't happy will be more vocal than those who are okay with whatever.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:37 am

from the Daily Herald:

Pritzker referenced international studies of countries where students have returned to school showing higher COVID-19 transmissions among children engaged in organized sports.

"I know that a lot of coaches and schools are making preparations to do this right but there's no guarantees in this world of COVID-19," he said. "This a moment when we're just going to have to make decisions as we go."
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:33 pm

IHSA moves meeting with ISBE and IDPH back to Friday. That does not bode well for fall sports to start on time.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Craig Anderson wrote:This weekly update is coming early in the week to let everyone know the special board of directors’ meeting scheduled for July 22, 2020 has been postponed until July 29, 2020. The reason for the postponement is two-fold. First, to date we continue to have incomplete information from IDPH and the Governor’s office on what plans/limitations will exist for the fall sports time period. Second, two members of our board of directors will join me in a virtual roundtable with representatives of IDPH and ISBE on Friday, July 24 to help us gain more information on the circumstances surrounding a return to activities.

If we remain limited in our ability to offer all of our fall sports this fall, we are considering a schedule that would permit all 3 seasons of sport activity to be conducted during the 2020-21 school year. We have received numerous emails from school administrators requesting this model to play out. This idea remains a priority for our staff and board. We are considering virtual competitions for many of our activities.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by center Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:28 pm

I don’t expect football to go exactly as planned in the fall. But I do hope we try and offer whatever sports/activities that we are able to in the fall.

Who is to say things are any better in January 2021?

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Had our 3rd Committee meeting today. Parents and most teachers are still supportive of full time in person instruction. Teachers are also required to be in the building for contractual hours during Remote or Hybrid Learning unless they have a Drs note or we go back to Phase 2.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:52 pm

Our school board met last night. The superintendent presented three plans:
1. Students back in school 5 days a week for 5 1/2 hours per day;
2. Students on an A/B schedule (Tues-Thur OR Wed-Fri) with Monday being asynchronous remote learning and off days being synchronous remote learning for students not in class; and
3. Students coming one day a week with synchronous learning when they are not in class.

Superintendent recommended plan 2.

Plan 1 was voted down 2-5
Plan 2 was voted down 2-5
Plan 3 was voted down 3-4

Our exasperated superintendent then asked for a motion to move the start of school back so they could formulate a plan the board could agree on.

Threatened with a delay in the start of school they revoted again - on the 4th motion plan two was finally adopted, with an all-remote option for students. A meeting which should have taken 90 minutes tops stretched into 5 hours.

BTW -that is par for the course with our current board - they frequently do not get to items on their agendas because the meetings run into the early morning hours.

So, now we know we have an A/B schedule. A framework is at least in place, but the details have not been hammered out at all.

Selfishly, I was hoping for 5-days per week. A more conventional setting is just a lot less work for me. However, I respect that we have to do some training and a fair number of our students will need training for procedures. It was a compromise position and like all decent compromises - nobody is really pleased.

Even with the every other day schedule we had a teacher's aide retire early due to the virus. We are a fairly young building, present company excepted, so I doubt we see many more leave from the high school. If this happened ten years earlier I imagine we would have had a mass exodus.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

net likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by center Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:14 am

What’s the asynchronous versus synchronous mean?

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by tps Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:42 am

tps
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 am

Mr. Potter can write!!

That was an excellent letter and I'm glad I read it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:08 pm

center wrote:What’s the asynchronous versus synchronous mean?  

Real time vs. self-paced.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

center likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:35 pm

19delta wrote:

Yep. Those are terms the state used and were carried over into our plan's language. I will have a webcam that will broadcast our class activities for synchronous learning.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:01 pm

OldTitan wrote:
19delta wrote:

Yep. Those are terms the state used and were carried over into our plan's language. I will have a webcam that will broadcast our class activities for synchronous learning.

5 syllable words have no place on this board mister!
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

OldTitan and ging like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:30 pm

11 syllables in 3 words may be a record on this board.

Our HS has decided that we are outsourcing our Remote/Virtual Learning because it seems that it will be a major workload for our teachers to do on classroom and remote. Also, those students who elect the virtual option must do so for 1 semester, they cannot come back once they realize it's challenging and they get a grade.

Our Hybrid and Remote option got voted down big by teachers once they realized we will have to be in the building during contracted hours and the challenge of keeping students engaged for 5 hours on their non school days.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:06 pm

dusty7 wrote:Our HS has decided that we are outsourcing our Remote/Virtual Learning because it seems that it will be a major workload for our teachers to do on classroom and remote.  Also, those students who elect the virtual option must do so for 1 semester, they cannot come back once they realize it's challenging and they get a grade.  

I hope that's the direction we go with our all remote kids. We also require them to declare for an entire semester. You are absolutely correct that hybrid learning is going to take a lot more work from teachers. I just hope they do not pile the all-remote kids on top of that.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:07 pm

rumor has it we start football in february. we will be given 25 contact days this fall to practice.

no sports will be cancelled because all sports will be played in reduced seasons in 2021.

this from a pretty reliable source. this is all i know from eating lunch at bahan's today. taco thursday!
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:24 pm

net wrote:rumor has it we start football in february. we will be given 25 contact days this fall to practice.

no sports will be cancelled because all sports will be played in reduced seasons in 2021.

this from a pretty reliable source. this is all i know from eating lunch at bahan's today. taco thursday!
That sounds horrific.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

OldTitan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:17 pm

net wrote:rumor has it we start football in february. we will be given 25 contact days this fall to practice.

I mean if schools are able to use 25 days this fall, we probably could have got in what ever reduced season we would play in March/April.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:18 am

Head Idiot wrote:

That sounds horrific.

no, not really. the tacos are quite amazing.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

OldTitan and center like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:08 pm

Was there an announcement today?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:10 pm

Teetime wrote:Was there an announcement today?

Not that I am aware of. They announced earlier
the special board of directors’ meeting scheduled for July 22, 2020 has been postponed until July 29, 2020.
I would expect some announcement on the 29th or 30th.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:17 pm

Ok. I thought I read in this thread that there was a meeting today.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:04 am

Teetime wrote:Ok. I thought I read in this thread that there was a meeting today.

Correct. An announced meeting between the IHSA and IDPH. The IHSA called it an opportunity for clarifications.

I guess because IHSA is a membership group and not a true government entity it is not subject to the 5 ILCS 120 Open Meetings Act. Therefore, there is no report on what happened at a meeting between the publicly funded state agency and the association representing IL high school extracurriculars.

The meeting we get to know about occurs on July 29th - the IHSA Board Meeting.

The latest from the IHSA:
Craig Anderson wrote:“I do believe we will have some outcomes this Wednesday (on fall sports). It’s time to provide some direction to our schools, and that’s our intention for having this meeting (with the IHSA board).”

I am hoping NET is right - seems like a delay in the season is the only chance. Kind of a shame for spring sports though - lost one entire season, and now, forced to truncate their season to make room for fall sports.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:00 am

iesa cancelled fall sports-cc, golf, baseball and softball. not sounding good for football.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next