Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phase 4 = high school football?

+25
Pike Bishop
tm
4a(6afornet)north
tps
ging
dusty7
Teetime
guerin2.0
footballguy99
Bighitter11
Cyclone1
streatorfan88
HHSTigerFan2
newcom
wolverine55
ramblinman
center
lefty120
19delta
mc140
BirdWatcher
Head Idiot
net
OldTitan
OSUBucks
29 posters

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 7 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Head Idiot Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:11 pm

net wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
center wrote:Contact days/competitions in the summer might end up costing us a season. What was wrong with just having the distanced strength and conditioning until August? 
Cuz it be grnd szn!
#NoOffszn  
#Born2Grnd  
#ChampionsRMadeNJune

In seriousness, the amount of people acting like kids were going to keel over dead without an offseason program is ridiculous. So is the notion that everyone's going to be just running dive without camps and contact days.

some of us do more than 'rtfb'. or whatever your slogan was.

as well as playing m/m coverage every snap.
And they forgot everything from last year too right?

And, looking at your schedule, if you started the first day of when practice was scheduled to start, you've got a month before you play anyone anyway.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 7 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by ramblinman Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:16 pm

dusty7 wrote:Funny how Travel teams are playing across the state but due to being a state entity IHSA schools cannot participate in any activities.  I can see Club Football starting up soon.  Schools can donate their equipment and fields to allow teams to participate.  Kids still get to play and it has no involvement with the school.  I bet PeeWee football is played across the state this year.

The IHSA is NOT a state entity.  It is a private association of member schools, some of which are tax supported, but many of which are not.

Travel programs are playing across the state precisely because there is no governing body for all of them.  They are independently incorporated, and most of them belong to regional leagues.  They do not have school administrators making decisions on their behalf.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:17 pm

Ok so they aren't a state entity but they have close ties to ISBE and IDPH who have the IHSA by the balls. I wish they would just come out and cancel.

Obviously the leaders of this country do not want these kids to learn or play with little scientific data to show kids will die of they contract the virus or evidence that they are significant spreaders.

The athletes who contracted the virus most likely contracted it from somewhere other than these camps. Like everything in America, let's punish the whole because of a few.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:32 pm

Does anyone know what prompted the rollback? Was there a Covid outbreak among a particular school? Or is this just a reaction to what is going on around the country?
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:34 pm

19delta wrote:Does anyone know what prompted the rollback? Was there a Covid outbreak among a particular school? Or is this just a reaction to what is going on around the country?
I can't say for sure, but the Quincy ND thing probably played a part.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:56 pm

Well, this is about the dumbest thing I've heard in a succession of dumb things.

https://bigten.org/news/2020/7/9/big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:46 pm

19delta wrote:Does anyone know what prompted the rollback? Was there a Covid outbreak among a particular school? Or is this just a reaction to what is going on around the country?

From the Press Release
"Due to an increase in positive cases of COVID-19 among high school teams around the state, the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) and Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) are jointly collaborating to modify the IHSA’s Phase 4 Return To Play Guidelines."

I have only heard of QND (not sure of how many athletes) and Lake Zurich where 4 in different sports tested positive.

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyclone1 Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:54 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
net wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
center wrote:Contact days/competitions in the summer might end up costing us a season. What was wrong with just having the distanced strength and conditioning until August? 
Cuz it be grnd szn!
#NoOffszn  
#Born2Grnd  
#ChampionsRMadeNJune

In seriousness, the amount of people acting like kids were going to keel over dead without an offseason program is ridiculous. So is the notion that everyone's going to be just running dive without camps and contact days.

And, looking at your schedule, if you started the first day of when practice was scheduled to start, you've got a month before you play anyone anyway.

My youngest came home from Freshman football after his first day in pads so fired up. He enjoyed it so much. His team has a lot of first time players who desperately need to have the time to learn the proper blocking and tackling techniques. It is easier for coaches to do it now than a couple of weeks before the season. Keep in mind Freshmen are excited when varsity coaches come down and work with them (I have heard more things that Coach Net said this week, my son loved it) . They do not have the time when practice starts 2-3 weeks before the season. That is what the kids are going to miss.
Cyclone1
Cyclone1
Bee-otch

OldTitan and center like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:41 am

lefty120 wrote:So my assistants and I had an interesting conversation yesterday after our workout. Would be interested to get thoughts of others on this board.

Let’s say IHSA ends up cancelling football, but allows other sports to play, such as golf, tennis, volleyball, and cross country. We will have a majority of our kids not doing anything. Do we as coaches continue to practice and have a few scrimmages, almost like a college spring ball type situation, to at least let our seniors keep playing and try to develop our younger kids a bit?  Maybe go 2-3 days / week?  I think in our situation, we’d almost have to consider that, as long as we are still having in person school.

Our seniors are looking to sit out a year of school and try again next year. Essentially redshirting while they work on the family farm for a year.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:53 am

Bighitterr1 wrote:Our seniors are looking to sit out a year of school and try again next year. Essentially redshirting while they work on the family farm for a year.
Isn't there an age restriction also? Or would IHSA waive that?

Last edited by newcom on Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:56 am

Head Idiot wrote:
net wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
Cuz it be grnd szn!
#NoOffszn  
#Born2Grnd  
#ChampionsRMadeNJune

to your question-so as a former educator you never reviewed lessons at the beginning of a new school year? imagine if math teachers just assumed everything previously taught was just automatically retained.

also directed to your question-i have a group of kids called (very talented)sophomores that i've not coached. i like these contact days to get a good look at them and get them familiarized with me.

also concepts in coaching change and some of us like to attend clinics and spring practices and be able to teach these new concepts. i have to defend against rapidly changing rpo's.

and since i'm an assistant to the winningest head coach in illinois history, i think i'll follow his lead and participate in summer contact days.

Last edited by net on Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:09 am

Cyclone1 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
net wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
Cuz it be grnd szn!
#NoOffszn  
#Born2Grnd  
#ChampionsRMadeNJune

My youngest came home from Freshman football after his first day in pads so fired up.  He enjoyed it so much.  His team has a lot of first time players who desperately need to have the time to learn the proper blocking and tackling techniques.  It is easier for coaches to do it now than a couple of weeks before the season.  Keep in mind Freshmen are excited when varsity coaches come down and work with them (I have heard more things that Coach Net said this week, my son loved it) . They do not have the time when practice starts 2-3 weeks before the season.   That is what the kids are going to miss.  

yeah, we haven't declared any kids defense or offense "only' yet, so i wandered over during offensive abc's. i worked some of my daily drills with them( i don't know why i call them daily's because i don't do them daily) but they seemed to enjoy me coming down. hard to believe i've known levi since he was born. i'm proud of myself for never calling him robby. i'm notoriuos for calling siblings by their older brother's names.

he did seem to like me singling him out and blowing him some crap. also nice to know i have a freshman free safety that's already 6'5" and can fly like the wind.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:15 am

Looking like IHSA will be making a final call later this month on flipping seasons, shortened seasons, on cancellation of seasons.
For those who want to see the sports happen in some shape or form need to talk to their ADs and Principals and have them put some pressure on IHSA to do the right thing.

Looks like New Jersey will be playing starting Oct 1.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/high-school/darren-cooper/2020/07/10/nj-football-high-school-fall-sports-season-expected-begin-october/5406481002/
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:21 pm

newcom wrote:
Bighitterr1 wrote:Our seniors are looking to sit out a year of school and try again next year. Essentially redshirting while they work on the family farm for a year.

There is an age Restriction not sure exactly what it is I think you cant be older than 19 at the start or your season. Im pretty sure one year St. Anne had a 20 year old dunking all over us in Basketball.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by footballguy99 Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:21 pm

newcom wrote:

I've always been told, when a student STARTS High School, their 4 years of eligibility starts. That's always been the question, if a kid has to repeat because they don't have enough credits, but maybe they were ineligible for one season so they only played 3 out of 4 seasons, can they play? And the answer I've always heard is - no, their timeline is up.

Maybe the IHSA would consider this though since this is a situation unlike ever before.

footballguy99
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:23 pm

3.060 AGE
3.061 A student shall be eligible through age nineteen (19) unless the student shall become twenty (20) during a sport season,
in which event eligibility shall terminate on the first day of such season (as the season is defined in Section 5.000 of these
By-laws).
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:24 pm

footballguy99 wrote:
newcom wrote:

I've always been told, when a student STARTS High School, their 4 years of eligibility starts. That's always been the question, if a kid has to repeat because they don't have enough credits, but maybe they were ineligible for one season so they only played 3 out of 4 seasons, can they play? And the answer I've always heard is - no, their timeline is up.

Maybe the IHSA would consider this though since this is a situation unlike ever before.

Maybe if the kids arent healthy enough to go to school because of Corona....cough cough
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by HHSTigerFan2 Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:
lefty120 wrote:So my assistants and I had an interesting conversation yesterday after our workout. Would be interested to get thoughts of others on this board.

Let’s say IHSA ends up cancelling football, but allows other sports to play, such as golf, tennis, volleyball, and cross country. We will have a majority of our kids not doing anything. Do we as coaches continue to practice and have a few scrimmages, almost like a college spring ball type situation, to at least let our seniors keep playing and try to develop our younger kids a bit?  Maybe go 2-3 days / week?  I think in our situation, we’d almost have to consider that, as long as we are still having in person school.

Our seniors are looking to sit out a year of school and try again next year.  Essentially redshirting while they work on the family farm for a year.

Please tell me you are kidding.....

HHSTigerFan2
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:15 pm

HHSTigerFan2 wrote:
Bighitter11 wrote:

Our seniors are looking to sit out a year of school and try again next year.  Essentially redshirting while they work on the family farm for a year.

Please tell me you are kidding.....

Cant make this stuff up Jon you know how crazy our parents are over here.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by HHSTigerFan2 Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:23 pm

Had a few beers with a couple of them other night, they were losing their minds... saw your brother that night too, which I realize isn't that shocking

3.050 PARTICIPATION LIMITATIONS 3.051 After they enroll in the ninth grade, students shall be eligible for no more than eight (Cool semesters.  They shall not be eligible for more than the number of semesters for which their school is recognized by the Illinois State Board of Education. 3.052 Their last two (2) semesters of possible eligibility shall be consecutive.  Other semesters of possible eligibility need not be consecutive. 3.053 After becoming a student in ninth grade, the student shall not be eligible for more than four (4) consecutive school years of competition in any sport.

HHSTigerFan2
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:13 pm

My son's JFL league just canceled their season.

So. \"f\"ing. Stupid.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:13 am

Head Idiot wrote:My son's JFL league just canceled their season.

So. \"f\"ing. Stupid.

I probably will get negative voted to oblivion for this, but I wish every JFL would cancel their season.

I would like to see Illinois go to a Junior High model, with fully certified coaches - preferably with substantial input from the high school staff, and kids wearing tackle bars. Starting kids in third grade in full tackle football is contrary to current medical science, (brain health, not Covid-19 concerns). Further, it is so much harder to get kids to try football if they had a negative JFL experience. Very few, if any, JFL programs help numbers at the HS level no matter how well-intentioned the program might be.

Sorry for the off-topic post.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

ging likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:54 am

Looks like a TON of decisions will be coming down the next couple of weeks - here is a look at what some other states are doing:
Alabama - no change - final guidelines expected July 22
Alaska - variable based on the risk category of the district
California - announcement coming on July 20th
Colorado - plan put forward that does include football in the fall - waiting for approval from state health board
Delaware - not decided - considering flipping seasons
Florida - no change
Indiana - no decisions - meeting later this month - in an interesting aside: A tight end transferred from Nazareth Academy because he feared the uncertainty of an Illinois season to Fishers High School in Indiana. Fishers shut down practice two days ago due to a Covid-19 outbreak.
Iowa - no change - subject to change however - not possible under current practice restrictions
Kentucky - Delay very likely - decision coming in late July
Louisiana - likely to push season back - report to state legislature next week
Mississippi - Decision coming Tuesday, July 14th
Nebraska - no change
Nevada - no change
New Mexico - flipping seasons
New Jersey - Season pushed to October - shortened season of 6 games with the possibility of a 7th over Thanksgiving weekend
New York - considering several scenarios - waiting for guidance from governor's office
North Carolina - likely pushing season back - decision next week
South Carolina - decision next week - governor said no season if Covid-19 trend continues
Ohio - Probably delayed - governor has said it will be based on Covid-19 numbers through July
Oregon - unknown - certainly modified
Michigan - considering flipping seasons (as proposed by governor) and other scenarios - decision expected July 20th
Tennessee - delayed - further decisions based on outbreak
Texas - recommended to cease all practices during outbreak, but only a recommendation- many schools are ignoring guidance - decision coming towards end of the month.
Washington - season pushed back a minimum of two weeks
Wisconsin - up-coming meeting to determine
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:06 am

OldTitan wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:My son's JFL league just canceled their season.

So. \"f\"ing. Stupid.

I probably will get negative voted to oblivion for this, but I wish every JFL would cancel their season.

I would like to see Illinois go to a Junior High model, with fully certified coaches - preferably with substantial input from the high school staff, and kids wearing tackle bars. Starting kids in third grade in full tackle football is contrary to current medical science, (brain health, not Covid-19 concerns). Further, it is so much harder to get kids to try football if they had a negative JFL experience. Very few, if any, JFL programs help numbers at the HS level no matter how well-intentioned the program might be.

Sorry for the off-topic post.
I don't disagree on the dislike of JFL. I strongly disagree with WHY they're canceling their season.

Also- what is a tackle bar?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:49 am

In Monticello, we didn't start playing until 5th grade and I feel that is about the right age to start playing. Not sure of they are in that same league but they do have a fairly strong Flag Football league.

Up here in the North, kids start in early elementary which is way to early in my opinion.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next