Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus II

+18
HHSTigerFan2
oldmanpfoot
OSUBucks
ging
OldTitan
newcom
center
Pike Bishop
tps
lefty120
wolverine55
Teetime
BirdWatcher
dusty7
ramblinman
net
Head Idiot
19delta
22 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Coronavirus II - Page 25 Empty Re: Coronavirus II

Post by dusty7 Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:17 pm

Now the so called "experts" say to shut everything down again. So why don't we just do that? And by everything, I mean EVERYTHING!

No stores, no school, no sports, no work, no hospital visits, no haircuts, no restaurants, no protests. Fine anyone who leaves their house for any reason.

I'm sorry, but I thought masks were supposed to save all of us.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:26 pm

dusty7 wrote:Now the so called "experts" say to shut everything down again.  

when?
who?
where?
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:52 pm

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:09 pm

1532 new cases, 44,330 tests and 19 deaths for today. Positivity rate for 7/17-7/23 holding at 3.4%.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:25 pm

Coronavirus II - Page 25 Covid-10

The US has 26.6% of all cases and 23.2% of all deaths.
With 4.5% of the world population and the best medical facilities in the world.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:35 pm

Well as we know these decisions aren't made by the President but by the Governors. Half the Governors in the country probably won't do this. Any law made is only as good as the enforcement. The dumbasses who refuse to wear masks will continue to be dumbasses regardless.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:07 pm

Teetime, that graph that shows the extent of the problem but comparing the US with other countries is basically comparing Apples to Oranges.

We have conducted millions more tests than the rest of the world so once again, the positivity number comes into play. On top of that, some positive cases never even had tests, especially early on, and was solely based upon having contact with someone who was positive.

Also, our definition is basically if you die and tested positive at any point it is a COVID death, and other countries definitions may be different. Even if you were on hospice or had another obvious death causing condition, you are counted as as COVID death. You can't prove COVID didn't kill the person so that makes it a COVID death.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:35 pm

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

We have tested the fourth highest percentage of our citizens as of yesterday. So it seems fair to compare us with other countries.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:11 pm

Mayne we are comparing Apples to Apples but it is not like the US is worse than other countries like the media is always stating.

Looking at positivity, US is much lower GB and Qatar, but Russia has us beat, not sure I believe that.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/international-comparison

US is number 11 in deaths per capita.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

Also, numbers are starting to fall in the US according to USA Today and we still have not seen that spoke in deaths people predicted a few weeks ago. We need to change our mindset on what a Positive Case actually means, death is not a certainty with this virus, this who are vulnerable know they are vulnerable and a majority of the population is doing what they can to help. We can't protect the entire population from getting sick but that's what the goal seems to be. As I stated earlier, many times, if it is really that deadly, shut it all down right now, if this is more important than people making a living, teaching our children, mental health, substance use and overall wellness, shut it all down.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:20 pm

Former co worker of mine who is now retired went to get tested as she thought she had symptoms. Waited for two hours, didn't test, got mad and left. Got a postcard telling her what to do because of her positive test result.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:17 pm

dusty7 wrote:Mayne we are comparing Apples to Apples but it is not like the US is worse than other countries like the media is always stating.

I’m always stating that because it’s true. Our testing per capita is in the same ballpark as other countries.

We have 4.5% of the population but 26% of the positive cases and 22% of the deaths. Why is it hard to understand that we are doing terribly with COVID-19 when compared to the rest of the world.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:00 pm

It's not hard to understand that the US has bungled this whole thing from day 1 and from top to bottom but the fact that the stats on the US are highly flawed from testing to deaths.

It is hard for me to take the story we are being told by the media when their story changes everyday and is entirely based upon the audience they are speaking to.

I have had 3 family members test positive, 2 of 3 had no symptoms, one was sick for 2 days and luckily recovered quickly. My step dad was contacted by IDPH and answered questions on how the effects and his recovery, he said they were basically baiting him into saying his condition was serious when it absolutely was not.

I have also had 2 family members not test as at all and be told they tested positive (like HeadIdiot posted).

My wife is 8 months pregnant, she was told by 3 differ Drs the past few weeks that she is perfectly fine to start the school year and teaching is fairly safe unless you have underlying conditions.

These are not isolated cases and this has happened 1,000s of times. Sorry if I am a bit skeptical on the data that is presented by the media because they all have an agenda and that agenda is $$$ and getting the right people elected. These are the say opening schools is unsafe but mass protests are completely ok.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:14 pm

I’m really glad that all your family members are well today and that their experience with the virus was so mild. I understand that is the case in an overwhelming number of the infections.

It is not fair to expect the media to have tried to stop the protests over the treatment of blacks by the police. It was their job to report on the protests. It is their job to report on the virus. You don’t like all of their reporting because it strikes you as alarmist...I get it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:43 pm

Teetime wrote:I’m really glad that all your family members are well today and that their experience with the virus was so mild. I understand that is the case in an overwhelming number of the infections.

It is not fair to expect the media to have tried to stop the protests over the treatment of blacks by the police. It was their job to report on the protests. It is their job to report on the virus. You don’t like all of their reporting because it strikes you as alarmist...I get it.
There's reporting and then there's the media.

Is it fair to ask them to stop protests? No. Is it fair to expect them to not call the president a murderer while railing against him for holding rallies at the same time as those protests they didn't say crap about? Yes.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:57 am

This is the same media that puts professional athletes that speak out for Black Lives Matter on a pedestal but fail to see that these athletes profit off of slave labor in China.

Let's put them up on a pedestal when it's convenient, and when it's not, be quiet so the masses don't figure it out.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:51 am

Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:I’m really glad that all your family members are well today and that their experience with the virus was so mild. I understand that is the case in an overwhelming number of the infections.

There's reporting and then there's the media.

Is it fair to ask them to stop protests? No. Is it fair to expect them to not call the president a murderer while railing against him for holding rallies at the same time as those protests they didn't say crap about? Yes.

I am going to continue on off-topic conversation on a thread, which I don-t usually do, but let's face it - it is a Turk's tradition.

The Modern Media and Press
Throughout most of American history the media and press were unapologetically biased. For the first 150 years of our history newspapers identified themselves directly with a political party. The vehemence and bias of the press waxed and waned, perhaps reaching its height during the 1890s leading up to the Spanish-American War. A war McKinley did not want, but the yellow press pressured him into it.

The idea of journalistic neutrality and even integrity is a fairly new invention. It starts to develop in the 1930s with radio and continued post-war in the television era. It prospered from few entities controlling the stream of information. Three main networks, Associated Press, and United Press International - since they fed most of the news outlets - the media became more homogenized and in a real sense, more neutral.

Internet and cable have fractured this post-war infrastructure. In the 1960s - 1980s most national news looked pretty much the same - You could watch Walter Cronkite on CBS and flip the channel to John Chancellor on NBC and the lead stories and even the structures of those programs would be the same. It worked well and they were the most watched programs - A CBS "hit" show would LOVE to have the numbers of the CBS nightly news in the 1970s.

The fracture I won't go into, because we all lived it. However, it is safe to say old formulas did not work and the scramble for viewership was on.

To get some idea of the impact of this fracture - Tucker Carlson, the most popular news personality today, created a sensation last week when he averaged over 4 million viewers in the last ratings period. Walter Cronkite, the long time CBS News anchor, averaged over 29 million viewers a night for the ENTIRE 1970s.

The delicate, and I would argue unhealthy, view of journalistic integrity and non-bias was shattered by this fracturing and scramble for viewers and readers. I think it is healthy for Americans to view each source of information with an understanding that there is bias.

Why does the bias of the media and press bother most Americans so much when, clearly, it really is a return to historical norms for the press in our country?

The answer I think lies in the fact that we grew up in a brief window of a few decades where journalistic neutrality was the expected norm. News sources cheering politically for one side or the other bothers our sensibilities. I think it bothers people who teach journalism, because they viewed journalism to a more neutral norm. When a student seeks my advice about getting a journalism degree I tell them to just get an English degree or film degree - the academics in journalism are way behind the medium.

It makes people mad because they want to trust the media. The truth is we should always look for bias and never be passive consumers of information. Remember, the job at the end of the day for any media outlet is to make money.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Teetime, net and center like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:17 am

It bothers me because the media continually tells us they're unbiased and then go off and be completely biased. Oh, and the number of people that view the "truth" and just spit it out without any fact checking, on both sides, is revolting.

It's gotten to the point I don't even watch many TV shows because EVERYTHING has some political slant to it. With no sports on(and you can't really watch that anymore without some political element) and the continued Rona coverage that means I haven't watched anything non streaming movie wise in about 5 months. I even try to avoid any form of talking on the radio- talk shows, morning shows, even the in between song DJ stuff usually is political or Rona
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:46 pm

1426 new cases for Saturday, 38,200 tests and positivity rate for 7/18-7/24 is 3.6%. Today 500 medical experts sent the President a letter imploring him to shut the country down. Even if he wanted to he doesn't have the authority. There are some restaurants in Springfield who have decided on their own to close in the past few days.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:10 pm

OSUBucks wrote:1426 new cases for Saturday, 38,200 tests and positivity rate for 7/18-7/24 is 3.6%. Today 500 medical experts sent the President a letter imploring him to shut the country down. Even if he wanted to he doesn't have the authority. There are some restaurants in Springfield who have decided on their own to close in the past few days.

a helluva lot more places that serve liquor than just restaurants. no way in hell i'd order food from parkway pub-formerly 'no place bar'. and trust me, i've been there on many late night excursions.

this is no way an attack on you. you're great dude.

somebody said, 'you can catch a lot of things(besides covid) from curve inn'. i love that place. new owners have worked so hard to clean that place up and they did. but you can't change some elements with a 3am bar. same with the blue grouch and third base bar. if you stay open until 3am, bad things are going to happen.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:53 pm

net wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:1426 new cases for Saturday, 38,200 tests and positivity rate for 7/18-7/24 is 3.6%. Today 500 medical experts sent the President a letter imploring him to shut the country down. Even if he wanted to he doesn't have the authority. There are some restaurants in Springfield who have decided on their own to close in the past few days.

a helluva lot more places that serve liquor than just restaurants. no way in hell i'd order food from parkway pub-formerly 'no place bar'. and trust me, i've been there on many late night excursions.

this is no way an attack on you. you're great dude.

somebody said, 'you can catch a lot of things(besides covid) from curve inn'. i love that place. new owners have worked so hard to clean that place up and they did. but you can't change some elements with a 3am bar. same with the blue grouch and third base bar. if you stay open until 3am, bad things are going to happen.

It's all good net. I've ordered food from the Curve a couple times since the start of the Pandemic. My wife and a couple of her girlfriends liked going to the Curve and Blue Grouch, not so much for the drinks but to listen to the Bands that they would have there.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:32 pm

1541 new cases, 40,844 tests for Sunday. Positivity rate for 7/19-7/25 is 3.7%. As of last night 1394 people in Illinois were hospitalized with COVID19. That number is down a bit from a few days ago.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:03 pm

Lots of people starting to get nervous about a roller back to more restrictions. For that to happen it takes a 8% Positivity or Sustained on increase in positivity for 7 days AND increase in hospitalizations for 7 days or Reduction in hospital capacity under 20%.

Question is what is the interpretation of "sustained," just am increase, an increase of the same or increasing percent? Definitely open for interpretation in my opinion.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:04 pm

OSUBucks wrote:1541 new cases, 40,844 tests for Sunday. Positivity rate for 7/19-7/25 is 3.7%. As of last night 1394 people in Illinois were hospitalized with COVID19. That number is down a bit from a few days ago.

Is that a new high for the number of tests administered?

Sorry to see the positivity rate creeping up, but good news that hospitalization is down.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:48 pm

OldTitan wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:1541 new cases, 40,844 tests for Sunday. Positivity rate for 7/19-7/25 is 3.7%. As of last night 1394 people in Illinois were hospitalized with COVID19. That number is down a bit from a few days ago.

Is that a new high for the number of tests administered?

Sorry to see the positivity rate creeping up, but good news that hospitalization is down.

I think we've had a couple days in which we were in the 43-44k range for tests but today would probably be in the top 5 for number of tests. It looks like things may be finally starting to trend down in the Southern states. There is some concern that the worst to come is coming our way up North. Right now we seem to be trending up about a tenth of a percent a day. I'm hoping that we start trending back down before we get to 5%. No one really knows with certainty where we are headed.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next