Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus II

+18
HHSTigerFan2
oldmanpfoot
OSUBucks
ging
OldTitan
newcom
center
Pike Bishop
tps
lefty120
wolverine55
Teetime
BirdWatcher
dusty7
ramblinman
net
Head Idiot
19delta
22 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Coronavirus II - Page 26 Empty Re: Coronavirus II

Post by Head Idiot Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:31 am

I wonder how quickly these people's tune would change if you gave them what they wanted, but said they had to take a 50% cut in pay to do it?

https://herald-review.com/news/state-and-regional/professors-slam-reopening-plans-at-illinois-colleges-amid-covid-19-crisis/article_b0e16671-e5e5-572d-ba12-b1cb95b5402b.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:34 pm

Head Idiot wrote:I wonder how quickly these people's tune would change if you gave them what they wanted, but said they had to take a 50% cut in pay to do it?

https://herald-review.com/news/state-and-regional/professors-slam-reopening-plans-at-illinois-colleges-amid-covid-19-crisis/article_b0e16671-e5e5-572d-ba12-b1cb95b5402b.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

I'm asking because I don't know the answer, not to argue...

Would a college professor be putting in half of the time and effort and grading half of the papers if the classes were remote in the fall? I don't think the tuition charged the students would be cut in half?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Judging by the series of classes my wife just took online to get her special ed certification, yes.

AAAAND, hell no, they're not going to charge less. They just want their cake and be able to eat it too.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:04 pm

Where did your wife take classes? My experience in my Masters classes has been very different.

Remote learning causes more strain on the teacher in prepping for lessons, grading, and for many teachers, learning how to use the technology effectively.

The biggest issue schools will have with E-learning begins with the lack of standards and accountability the state places on students last spring. It is going to be very difficult to break that mindset among students and parents.

The state has determined that it is ok for districts to require teachers to work AT THE SCHOOL during contracted hours, even if we go back to 100% E-learning.

Our district did another survey and it was 60/40 for in person instruction so we are figuring out how to accommodate that 40%, which was 15% back in June. I bet it would be much less if what will be required of students during E-learning was communicated to parents.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:07 pm

pleasant plains is going online into october. tonight their boe is getting a petition from parents to start school in classes. i heard that as of this morning they only had 70 signatures.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:55 pm

We are going going back in classroom with many many changes, luckily we are a small school; Masks required and social distancing of desks, daily self check in via an app with temperature screening at 7 different doors separated by last name & grade. Staggered passing periods, no lockers, all students will use bookbags and 3 different spaces for lunch to socially distance. Gonna be different to say the least!
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:04 pm

1231 new cases for Monday but only 30,567 tests. Positivity rate for 7/20-7/26 is 3.8%
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:40 pm

net wrote:pleasant plains is going online into october. tonight their boe is getting a petition from parents to start school in classes. i heard that as of this morning they only had 70 signatures.

i should add here that it is pleasant plains and no offense, but in plains it doesn't matter the number of signatures but rather the 'names' of the signatures. i really don't think any average person of plains would be offended by my post.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tps Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:19 pm

provide HCQ and zinc to the teachers, staff, (adults) etc. Open all schools, every day. If they have a condition that interferes with this treatment, they can take a leave and let them collect normal unemployment for a semester. Kids under 18 are very low risk. wear masks, wash hands, provide hand sanitizer. some kids today are screwed up. just wait until these 'covid' kids grow up.

tps
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:31 pm

tps wrote:provide HCQ and zinc to the teachers, staff, (adults) etc. Open all schools, every day. If they have a condition that interferes with this treatment, they can take a leave and let them collect normal unemployment for a semester. Kids under 18 are very low risk. wear masks, wash hands, provide hand sanitizer. some kids today are screwed up. just wait until these 'covid' kids grow up.  

If 15% or 20% of teachers opt out of in classroom and get unemployment are there enough subs to cover all your school.

What if this were 15-20% Statewide, are there enough subs to cover the Statewide shortage? Could existing staff cover a shortage of regular teachers that large?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 pm

Teetime wrote:
tps wrote:provide HCQ and zinc to the teachers, staff, (adults) etc. Open all schools, every day. If they have a condition that interferes with this treatment, they can take a leave and let them collect normal unemployment for a semester. Kids under 18 are very low risk. wear masks, wash hands, provide hand sanitizer. some kids today are screwed up. just wait until these 'covid' kids grow up.  

If 15% or 20% of teachers opt out of in classroom and get unemployment are there enough subs to cover all your school.

What if this were 15-20% Statewide, are there enough subs to cover the Statewide shortage? Could existing staff cover a shortage of regular teachers that large?

I'm wondering how many teachers out there who are eligible for retirement are going to go ahead and retire, especially those who have preexisting conditions such as asthma.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:54 pm

Moderna announced today that they have entered the final phase of testing for their COVID19 vaccine. They have pledged an initial quantity of 500 million vaccines. They are hoping to be ready for distribution around the end of the year.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:24 pm

Teetime wrote:

why the need for unemployment? why can't they be allowed to teach online? opening all schools is ridiculous. that isn't about the teachers. it's about families and other family concerns.

i will be in the classroom as long as i'm allowed.

and hell no there aren't enough subs. you should see what i see. subs who fall asleep in classes. subs who bring in newspapers and books. subs with canes who can barely navigate a hallway. subs who the kids can't understand what's being said. subs who are so old they won't want to be in a building. subs who can't follow a simple lesson plan provided for them.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by tps Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:51 pm

What if 5% don't show? What if 40% don't show? Who knows? Kids need to be in school. Its for one semester. Maybe larger class sizes, maybe bonuses/incentives for teachers who show up, If teachers don't return after the semester they are terminated. If they can retire,
let them, they earned it. Kids rarely pass on/spread the disease. Why not look for solutions or alternatives instead of putting up roadblocks?

tps
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by tps Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:53 pm

HCQ (and zinc) is key. Who is saying it is unsafe? Been in use for 65 years for various anti-viral applications.

tps
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:41 pm

dusty7 wrote:Where did your wife take classes?   My experience in my Masters classes has been very different.  

Remote learning causes more strain on the teacher in prepping for lessons, grading, and for many teachers, learning how to use the technology effectively.

The biggest issue schools will have with E-learning begins with the lack of standards and accountability the state places on students last spring.  It is going to be very difficult to break that mindset among students and parents.  

The state has determined that it is ok for districts to require teachers to work AT THE SCHOOL during contracted hours, even if we go back to 100% E-learning.  

Our district did another survey and it was 60/40 for in person instruction so we are figuring out how to accommodate that 40%, which was 15% back in June.  I bet it would be much less if what will be required of students during E-learning was communicated to parents.  
Western Illinois. She did a project that took 2 weeks and had a "grade" of 100% 10 minutes after she submitted (It was the same professor that said we all would lose someone to Rona) Her entire online process has been pretty much like that. It's literally just jumping through hoops to get a paper.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:29 pm

tps wrote:HCQ (and zinc) is key. Who is saying it is unsafe? .

The Food and Drug Administration

They work for President Trump.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/87066

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:58 pm

net wrote:
Teetime wrote:

why the need for unemployment? why can't they be allowed to teach online? opening all schools is ridiculous. that isn't about the teachers. it's about families and other family concerns.

i will be in the classroom as long as i'm allowed.

and hell no there aren't enough subs. you should see what i see. subs who fall asleep in classes. subs who bring in newspapers and books. subs with canes who can barely navigate a hallway. subs who the kids can't understand what's being said. subs who are so old they won't want to be in a building. subs who can't follow a simple lesson plan provided for them.

My wife has to sub. She did not get her 32 days of double pay due to the school being shut down. She has to sub the next two years. How much I sub......I don't know. Combination of many things - the CCP Virus, the last group of kids I taught and had in class graduated, and my tolerance level for teenage song and dance is pretty low now. I am real picky who I sub for.....I like classes where I can read a book.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:00 pm

But this epidemiologist from Yale thinks it works. Working for Yale I doubt if he's a Trump guy. From what I've read from other doctors I've heard that it's helpful in COVID19 treatment if it's applied soon after early onset of symptoms. If a patient is in bad condition it's not very effective. I asked a Doctor who practices at a hospital in Ohio about it and it said it helped with some patients and not at all with others.

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/yale-epidemiologist-says-hydroxychloroquine-key-defeating-covid-19
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:00 am

My dad has been taking hydroxychloroquine for the past 8 years and a co-worker of mine has been taking it for several years as well. Both of their Drs said that if they did contract COVID, it will definitely help with their symptoms but can't promise they won't get sick.

I would imagine there are many other factors at play such as blood type, T Cell, and Coronavirus antibodies from other previous illnesses. The same treatment for all people does not always work. Look at cancer...people get the similar treatments and some survive and others die. However, Drs have a much better grasp on how to treat COVID since April and the proof lies in the decline in number of deaths per infection.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:03 am

Saw this on IHSS and it's funny-
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 am

It should be noted that Decatur's mayor served on JB's transition team and is balls deep in kissing his ass-

https://herald-review.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/watch-now-decatur-mayor-to-issue-executive-order-on-businesses-mask-wearing-heres-what-it/article_1ba97776-0c08-5795-af4d-0c5a043528b4.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

My favorite from the article-
“I know it's a pain,” he said. “In April, I got a call from (the Illinois Emergency Management Agency) and they told me to have four refrigerated trailers on hand (to use as temporary morgues) and it scared the hell out of me. I don't want to be standing there and see a Macon County person loaded into a refrigerated trailer. Please be courteous to other people and just wear the damn mask.”
Macon County has not had a single death since June 23rd. The use of fear is \"f\"ing ridiculous.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by tps Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:37 am

Teetime wrote:
tps wrote:HCQ (and zinc) is key. Who is saying it is unsafe? .

The Food and Drug Administration

They work for President Trump.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/87066

for some reason, I'm not sure why, there might actually be some political elements in the FDA who might want to see their boss fail. and the money is in the vaccine...
HCQ alone is not the best practice. Zinc is part of the equation. 

and we all know it's about the kids...oh, and a few other things...
https://www.kusi.com/a-los-angeles-teachers-union-says-public-schools-should-not-reopen-unless-their-demands-are-met/

tps
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:30 pm

1076 new cases and 28,331 tests for Tuesday. Positivity rate for 7/21-7/27 same as yesterday, holding at 3.8%
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:31 pm

OSUBucks wrote:1076 new cases and 28,331 tests for Tuesday. Positivity rate for 7/21-7/27 same as yesterday, holding at 3.8%

how many in sangamon?
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next