Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P. Republican Party

+17
19delta
general maximus
Dawgdad
Huck
tincup1215
Cyclone1
wolverine55
HHSTigerFan2
Ghengis Khan
BirdWatcher
tps
Head Idiot
dusty7
OSUBucks
Teetime
lefty120
ramblinman
21 posters

Page 29 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

R.I.P. Republican Party - Page 29 Empty Re: R.I.P. Republican Party

Post by Teetime Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:58 pm

mc140 wrote:A guy who was duped by a Chinese spy should no longer be on the homeland security committee. Is that a controversial take?

I don't think that is a controversial take. I think Pelosi doesn't like to be told what to do.

She doesn't mind telling other people what to do.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:59 pm

mc140 wrote:A guy who was duped by a Chinese spy should no longer be on the homeland security committee. Is that a controversial take?

No. He should not be on any of those committees.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:57 pm

Teetime wrote:
tps wrote:
i agree with wolverine

I'm sorry to hear that. I'll miss talking to you also.

Is it safe to come out yet? I've been cowering in fear holed up in my basement dealing with his rapier dumb hick wit and incessant negative votes of my posts.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:05 pm

R.I.P. Republican Party - Page 29 A25158
Shoot, I guess it's too late to nab him since he already left the bank.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:12 pm

OSUBucks wrote: I see no way that 17 Republicans will vote to convict him.

I'm still holding out hope that twelve more Republican Senators will grow a spine. It's possible that would save the party from extinction.

If this doesn't warrant a conviction on Impeachment charges....what would?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:01 pm

ramblinman wrote:
Teetime wrote:
tps wrote:
i agree with wolverine

I'm sorry to hear that. I'll miss talking to you also.

Is it safe to come out yet?  I've been cowering in fear holed up in my basement dealing with his rapier dumb hick wit and incessant negative votes of my posts.

I'm hoping tps hasn't left us yet. I think he was gigging me with his "I agree with Wolverine" post and I was gigging him about leaving the board...but I might be wrong. There are a lot of Trump fans that just can't stand for all the shit being shoveled their way and they would rather quit than defend him for the next six months.

I don't think Wolverine was one of those. He was pretty apolitical. He was legitimately disgusted with me, and angry that everyone here didn't jump into the conversation and say how nauseated my very existence made them feel. I get it. My wife says that very thing all the time.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:32 pm

Teetime wrote:
I'm hoping tps hasn't left us yet. I think he was gigging me with his "I agree with Wolverine" post and I was gigging him about leaving the board...but I might be wrong. There are a lot of Trump fans that just can't stand for all the shit being shoveled their way and they would rather quit than defend him for the next six months.

I don't think Wolverine was one of those. He was pretty apolitical. He was legitimately disgusted with me, and angry that everyone here didn't jump into the conversation and say how nauseated my very existence made them feel. I get it. My wife says that very thing all the time.

It's not your existence it's the fact that you financially supported a pedophile. I understand how that may offend some people more than others but I'm not going to get into that. I don't approve of it but it's your perogative and you stand by your decision

I hope nobody leaves but it looks like the board is dying. When politics gets involved people tend to get emotional and revert to attack mode and that is what has happened here. People have been insulted just because of their beliefs and that should never happen. Many here are guilty of doing this and I am probably included in that but I cannot recall ever straight up insulting other posters. The civility of the political banter had gotten out of hand. Of course it's fun for awhile but then it quickly gets old. This thread is a perfect example, started with everyone posting their thoughts and supporting them with their favorite biased news sources. Now it's down to 2 or 3 guys and people lose interest.

I've gone back and forth with Ramblin about COVID and I have learned a lot from his posts. Ive gone back and forth with Tee and OSU on politics and have taken in the opposing perspective. But I have always done my best to be as respectful as I could, give likes when. warranted. Hopefully with sports and football starting, we can move on from a focus on politics and back to football with politics mixed in.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime and ramblinman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:30 am

dusty7 wrote:It's not your existence it's the fact that you financially supported a pedophile. I understand how that may offend some people more than others but I'm not going to get into that.  I don't approve of it but it's your perogative and you stand by your decision 

Not to put too fine a point on this, but I gave money to the Lincoln Project. At the time I gave it, I didn't know one of the founders might have been a pedophile. I haven't given them any money since I found out, and as I explained, I don't think they were very successful in their mission. I admitted that I would have given money four months ago even if I knew the one guy had been accused.

I am a Catholic. I give money to the Catholic church almost every week. They are chock full of pedophiles. Is my donating money to my church offensive to some of you?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:30 pm

Teetime wrote:
dusty7 wrote:It's not your existence it's the fact that you financially supported a pedophile. I understand how that may offend some people more than others but I'm not going to get into that.  I don't approve of it but it's your perogative and you stand by your decision 

Not to put too fine a point on this, but I gave money to the Lincoln Project. At the time I gave it, I didn't know one of the founders might have been a pedophile. I haven't given them any money since I found out, and as I explained, I don't think they were very successful in their mission. I admitted that I would have given money four months ago even if I knew the one guy had been accused.

I am a Catholic. I give money to the Catholic church almost every week. They are chock full of pedophiles. Is my donating money to my church offensive to some of you?

The Catholic church has a systemic issue when it comes to pedophilia and although they claim to have made changes to stop the behavior, there are many pedophiles still active in the church. I am not an active churchgoer although I am a believer that religion is an individual experience and an individual choice. I'm not going to get into my beliefs on salvation and what not, that's a whole different discussion. I am not going to claim that I know much of anything about the Catholic church and its dealings with the grooming, molestation, and pedophilia that is present within the church and whether or not they are doing anything or not enough to fix the issue.

For me, you do what you want with your money and support who/what you want to support. Before I would provide financial support to any church, I would want to know exactly where the money is going and what it is being used for. If I was in your position, if I believed they were not doing anything to address the issue, I would likely 1) not donate and 2) find a different church. But you know more than me in this so if they are doing something about fixing the issue then feel free to donate.

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:50 pm

A new center-right party?  Can't happen soon enough if you ask me.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/11/politics/republican-officials-discuss-forming-party/index.html

"It will be a center-right party that will be cooperative with the Democrats and it will liquidate the nonsense on the far-right" -- Anthony Scaramucci.

While they are at it, why not become a true centrist party (neither center-right nor center-left) and reach out to moderate Dems like Joe Manchin, Joe Lieberman, Jon Tester, Evan Bayh, and Bill Nelson who might be tired of the nonsense on the far left?  Render harmless the far right AND the far left.  Please!

If this initiative could get substantial funding from the likes of Buffet, Bezos, Musk, etc., it might achieve the traction it needs to move forward meaningfully. If not from them, then it will still need funding from others. Not gonna happen without $$$.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:20 pm

ramblinman wrote:A new center-right party?  Can't happen soon enough if you ask me.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/11/politics/republican-officials-discuss-forming-party/index.html

"It will be a center-right party that will be cooperative with the Democrats and it will liquidate the nonsense on the far-right" -- Anthony Scaramucci.

While they are at it, why not become a true centrist party (neither center-right nor center-left) and reach out to moderate Dems like Joe Manchin, Joe Lieberman, Jon Tester, Evan Bayh, and Bill Nelson who might be tired of the nonsense on the far left?  Render harmless the far right AND the far left.  Please!

If this initiative could get substantial funding from the likes of Buffet, Bezos, Musk, etc., it might achieve the traction it needs to move forward meaningfully. If not from them, then it will still need funding from others. Not gonna happen without $$$.

Wouldn’t it be great if this actually happened. Actually we need two more parties, the far left of the Democratic Party might want to split off too. There are people on here who think I’m a Liberal. I have voted for as many Republicans in my lifetime as Democrats. I’m pretty moderate in my views but I won’t have anything to do with a party led by Trump, who is a poor excuse of a human being as well as a President.
Once Biden was declared the winner back in November if Trump would have called him and conceded and congratulated him, as any decent person would have done and never perpetuated this lie that he won and the election was stolen from him, there would not have been a riot on January 6, no doubt in my mind.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

ramblinman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 pm

Maybe we will see an end to lobbying, or at least much-needed change.

Next change we need to see is the end of PACs and SUPER PACs.

https://www.rollcall.com/2021/02/08/how-the-jan-6-riot-could-make-it-tougher-to-lobby/
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:48 pm

dusty7 wrote:Maybe we will see an end to lobbying, or at least much-needed change.

https://www.rollcall.com/2021/02/08/how-the-jan-6-riot-could-make-it-tougher-to-lobby/

Well we had the McCain Feingold Act back in 2002 which just applied to what they call soft money but that didn’t fix the problem obviously. Our Government is somewhat corrupt. They take in money from lobbying groups and money buys influence. The folks in power obviously like the current situation as for many of them getting elected to Congress became a lifetime job. On the state level both political party’s engage in Gerrymandering the political Districts so that once elected it’s hard to get someone out. Churchill once said that democracy is the worst system of Government except all others that have been tried. We have a Federal Republic in the US as dictated by our Constitution. What are the odds on calling a constitutional convention and making some changes?
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:54 pm

OSUBucks wrote:
dusty7 wrote:Maybe we will see an end to lobbying, or at least much-needed change.

Well we had the McCain Feingold Act back in 2002 which just applied to what they call soft money but that didn’t fix the problem obviously. Our Government is somewhat corrupt. They take in money from lobbying groups and money buys influence. The folks in power obviously like the current situation as for many of them getting elected to Congress became a lifetime job. On the state level both political party’s engage in Gerrymandering the political Districts so that once elected it’s hard to get someone out. Churchill once said that democracy is the worst system of Government except all others that have been tried. We have a Federal Republic in the US as dictated by our Constitution. What are the odds on calling a constitutional convention and making some changes?  

I doubt that ever happens and it shouldn't. People are scared that once you start changing one thing those responsible will change other things that are not related to why they had a convention in the first place. Just look at all of the pork-barrel spending in every piece of legislation that has nothing to do with the actual legislation. You really trust they will stick to fixing one issue? We have enough regulations in place to keep to maintain the Bill of Rights and the freedoms we have. You want to see a revolution, open up the constitution. It would make what happened at the Capitol look like a mild protest.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:17 pm

Oh I don’t think it will happen either and if it did I agree that they would probably want to change some things a lot of folks would disagree with. High on the list of the political left would be modifying or eliminating the 2nd Amendment. Should that ever happen those whose job it is to collect the weapons better be wearing body armor when knocking on the door.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:31 pm

That's a bridge too far for me. Sounds like a huge infringement on the First Amendment.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:10 pm

Biden restricting Americans from traveling but allowing illegal aliens into the country. Makes no sense to me.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/status/1359924763326640138
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:29 pm

19delta wrote:

That's a bridge too far for me. Sounds like a huge infringement on the First Amendment.

You’re right, especially given the Citizens United SCOTUS decision.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:50 am

dusty7 wrote:Biden restricting Americans from traveling but allowing illegal aliens into the country.

Says who, Ron DeSantis?  Yeah, there's a real reliable and unbiased source.   Rolling Eyes

In fact, he tweets that Biden is allowing "illegal aliens to pour across our southern border."  Great visual, right?  Makes people think about hordes of illegal brown-skinned people currently streaming into our country unchecked.

What a crock of crap.

Has Biden relaxed a few of Trump's more hard line immigration restrictions?  Yes.  Has he kept some restrictions?  Yes.  Has he authorized the removal of a single inch of Trump's precious wall?  No.  Are illegal aliens pouring across our southern border.  No.  If they were, Fox and OAN and Newsmax would be all over it.  They aren't.  

Earlier today, Pat Buchanan reported CBP stats stating that 78,000 illegal aliens were apprehended crossing the border in January alone and the current rate of apprehension is about 3,000 per day.   What Pat failed to mention was that the previous month there were 74,000 apprehensions.  Why isn't DeSantis praising the Biden administration for its part in turning away even more people seeking a better life in the U.S.?

Fox news reported six days ago that CBP agents apprehended 253 illegals in just one hour at a single location.  Sure looks to me like we are not "allowing" those people to pour across our border unchecked.

How is it that DeSantis can claim that Biden is allowing illegal aliens to pour across our southern border when the CBP's own website states that they apprehended more last month than any single month in the past two years?  Are there thousands more who aren't being caught?  If so, where's the proof?  If Buchanan's numbers are correct and hold true, we will turn away close to 55,000 people in the month of February, as opposed to last February when Trump's CBP turned away only 37,000.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/southwest-land-border-encounters
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:28 pm

ramblinman wrote:
dusty7 wrote:Biden restricting Americans from traveling but allowing illegal aliens into the country.

Says who, Ron DeSantis?  Yeah, there's a real reliable and unbiased source.   Rolling Eyes

In fact, he tweets that Biden is allowing "illegal aliens to pour across our southern border."  Great visual, right?  Makes people think about hordes of illegal brown-skinned people currently streaming into our country unchecked.

What a crock of crap.

This is exactly what I am talking about with this board dying. You come right out and say a "crock of crap" when it is something that is actually happening. Of course DeSantis is biased because he doesn't want travel to his state restricted. The Biden administration, once again, has rolled back on their initial claims but have also said that no "final decision" has been made.

https://www.voanews.com/usa/immigration/asylum-camp-swells-us-mexico-border-biden-aide-urges-patience

Instead of worrying about immigrants, maybe Biden should focus on helping Americans first and finding ways to get schools open. He said kids will be in school in the first 100 days but rolled back the statement to 1 day a week will count for opening a school. Talk about a crock of crap. Making a promise then changing the goal.

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2021-02-09/bidens-goal-for-school-reopenings-suddenly-became-more-attainable
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:53 pm

dusty7 wrote:
ramblinman wrote:

What a crock of crap.

This is exactly what I am talking about with this board dying. You come right out and say a "crock of crap" when it is something that is actually happening. Of course DeSantis is biased because he doesn't want travel to his state restricted. The Biden administration, once again, has rolled back on their initial claims but have also said that no "final decision" has been made.  

https://www.voanews.com/usa/immigration/asylum-camp-swells-us-mexico-border-biden-aide-urges-patience

Instead of worrying about immigrants, maybe Biden should focus on helping Americans first and finding ways to get schools open. He said kids will be in school in the first 100 days but rolled back the statement to 1 day a week will count for opening a school.  Talk about a crock of crap. Making a promise then changing the goal.  

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2021-02-09/bidens-goal-for-school-reopenings-suddenly-became-more-attainable

No, it isn't actually happening, and DeSantis' tweet was absolutely a heaping crock of steaming and stinking doo doo.  I edited my post before you sent your reply to it.  Either that, or you chose not to include in your above quote of my post the documented stats that followed.  In those edits, I documented that what is actually happening is that immigrants entering illegally are currently being apprehended at rates we haven't seen in a long time.  

DeSantis tweeting what he did, and you repeating and defending it here, is like Trump tweeting and whining that the election was rigged and then claiming that "many people" are saying the election was rigged.  If he didn't repeat that lie over and over, then "many people" wouldn't believe it and regurgitate it in public forums.  Plain and simple.

I've provided the data.  What can you provide beyond assumption and hearsay to support your contention that we are allowing illegal aliens to pour across our southern border?   Just like Trump failed to produce the evidence to satisfy over 60 lawsuits claiming election fraud, I fail to see the evidence from you or anyone else that illegal aliens are pouring across our southern border unchecked.

BTW, The VOA article you linked is about people seeking legal asylum and congregating in camps on the other side of the border; not about illegal aliens pouring across it.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:51 pm

Ok, I get your point, they are just on the other side of the border waiting to get in legally but there are many still coming in the illegal way. And with the increase in immigrant caravans from central America, I would expect to see more as time goes on. Many of these are people who are waiting out the process but get frustrated with the entire process, get arrested, sent back, and will come back and claim asylum.

Are they given the immigrants free rein, no, but even the thought of restricting travel to one state for the potential of an outbreak and allowing immigrants, whether legal or illegal, is a bit ridiculous to me. People will say it's not political but it is. Biden and the dems do not like DeSantis but still celebrate Cuomo. I thought Biden was here to create unity and even the talk about a policy like this does not create unity.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/illegal-border-crossings-climbed-in-january-raising-pandemic-worries-11613007374

https://www.wltz.com/2021/02/11/arrests-at-us-mexico-border-increase/

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/02/murder-heart-attacks-suicide-covid-immigrants-are-dying-in-americas-waiting-room/

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:18 pm

dusty7 wrote:Ok, I get your point, they are just on the other side of the border waiting to get in legally but there are many still coming in the illegal way.  And with the increase in immigrant caravans from central America, I would expect to see more as time goes on. Many of these are people who are waiting out the process but get frustrated with the entire process, get arrested, sent back, and will come back and claim asylum.  

Are they given the immigrants free rein, no, but even the thought of restricting travel to one state for the potential of an outbreak and allowing immigrants, whether legal or illegal, is a bit ridiculous to me.  People will say it's not political but it is. Biden and the dems do not like DeSantis but still celebrate Cuomo. I thought Biden was here to create unity and even the talk about a policy like this does not create unity.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/illegal-border-crossings-climbed-in-january-raising-pandemic-worries-11613007374

https://www.wltz.com/2021/02/11/arrests-at-us-mexico-border-increase/

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/02/murder-heart-attacks-suicide-covid-immigrants-are-dying-in-americas-waiting-room/

And those who are coming in the illegal way are being apprehended at rates not seen since 2019.  That does not mean that they are being "allowed" in.  It means they are being caught.  Arrested.  Sent back.

You are linking two completely different things here.  On the one hand you have the Biden administration considering ALL options (including selective domestic travel restrictions) to stop/mitigate the spread of the UK variant, and on the other you have illegal aliens being apprehended as they cross the border, yet you claim that they are being "allowed" to cross.  

Sorry to burst your bubble on this, but people trying to enter the U.S. illegally is not a new thing that is happening because the Biden administration is allowing it to happen as of January 20.  It's not.  

Has there been an uptick in apprehensions of illegals lately?  Yes.  But that uptick began last May in the previous administration with steady increases each and every month for the past nine calendar months (8.7 of which were during Trump's watch).  Did Trump "allow" these people to cross in increasing numbers?  Did Trump "allow" 144,000 illegals to "pour across the border" in May of 2019, or were they apprehended once they did cross?  Where was DeSantis' indignation back in May of 2019 when roughly TWICE as many people were caught illegally crossing the border as were caught last month...or are his "pouring across the border" words only applicable to Democratic administrations?  Were the international travel restrictions that Trump considered and enacted last year also "ridiculous" at the same time as his administration was "allowing immigrants whether legal or illegal" to enter the country?

Last time I checked, Mexico is still a sovereign country.  We can't position our resources on their side of the border to stop people from swimming across a river or tunneling/scaling under/over a wall or somehow attempting to enter our country illegally.  Best we can do from our side of the border is to make attempting difficult and apprehend them once they do make that attempt and cross into our side.  We are currently doing that in numbers that haven't been seen since the summer of 2019. Any way you slice it, we are not allowing them to pour across the border.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Teetime and Doctor D like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:23 pm

Not guilty....Trump acquitted. Wonder how many more investigations will be started in the coming months.

fox32chicago.com/news/closing-arguments-begin-in-trump-impeachment-trial-after-senate-reaches-deal-to-skip-witness-testimony
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:33 pm

Oh I expect there to be more. For some strange reason, unlike all other Presidents I’m aware of, Trump has refused to release his tax information to the public. Eventually I think we will know what’s in there. Hopefully Trump doesn’t have anything to hide.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum