Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus III

+18
Dawgdad
ging
ramblinman
mc140
4a(6afornet)north
Huck
19delta
OldTitan
tm
dusty7
net
wolverine55
lefty120
Head Idiot
tps
OSUBucks
Teetime
BirdWatcher
22 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Coronavirus III - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus III

Post by lefty120 Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:14 pm

Not trying to be argumentative, but face coverings are meant to protect those around us, not us necessarily; at least as I understand it. 154 seems like an awfully small sample size, is it not?

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:16 pm

lefty120 wrote:Not trying to be argumentative, but face coverings are meant to protect those around us, not us necessarily; at least as I understand it.  154 seems like an awfully small sample size, is it not?
I do not know. I just saw it and thought it was relevant.

I would also wager that as time goes by, that may be questioned as well. Much like lockdowns have drawn official questions 7 months in.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
lefty120 wrote:Not trying to be argumentative, but face coverings are meant to protect those around us, not us necessarily; at least as I understand it.  154 seems like an awfully small sample size, is it not?

I would also wager that as time goes by, that may be questioned as well. Much like lockdowns have drawn official questions 7 months in.

Agreed. My wife and I were talking the other night and discussed the idea that maybe if we'd been better prepared for something like this, we would have been able to maintain the economy with certain small restrictions within individual businesses etc as opposed to issuing the massive stay at home orders. I think there's validity to that. It was her idea of course.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:00 pm

lefty120 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

Agreed.  My wife and I were talking the other night and discussed the idea that maybe if we'd been better prepared for something like this, we would have been able to maintain the economy with certain small restrictions within individual businesses etc as opposed to issuing the massive stay at home orders.  I think there's validity to that.  It was her idea of course.  

Exactly, if our government was prepared at all for this we wouldn't be in the situation that we are in now. Leadership at all levels, on both sides, for decades have neglected to prepare for a pandemic. During the Bush years we were focused on the wars, during Obama the focus was recovery from the Recession, for Trump the focus is defeating the opposing political party in everything. The focus of our government has not been on the health of the people, it never has been and never will be, their focus is on their agendas and their bank accounts.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:16 pm

For Wednesday October 14 statewide positivity is 4.6% and 1974 hospitalizations for COVID19.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:30 pm

lefty120 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

Agreed.  My wife and I were talking the other night and discussed the idea that maybe if we'd been better prepared for something like this, we would have been able to maintain the economy with certain small restrictions within individual businesses etc as opposed to issuing the massive stay at home orders.  I think there's validity to that.  It was her idea of course.  
How do you prepare for a virus that has never existed before a year ago?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

BirdWatcher and lefty120 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:09 pm

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-science-masks-safely-reopen.html

If everyone wears a facemask they are much more effective, but some still refuse.

That's what I have heard about masks...they protect others from your germs, not so much the other way. So if I work in the White House and wear a mask all day, every day I will still get the virus because you know...other people refuse to wear them. Other people won't get sick from me.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:14 pm

Teetime wrote:https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-science-masks-safely-reopen.html

If everyone wears a facemask they are much more effective, but some still refuse.

That's what I have heard about masks...they protect others from your germs, not so much the other way. So if I work in the White House and wear a mask all day, every day I will still get the virus because you know...other people refuse to wear them. Other people won't get sick from me.
Depends on the mask of course. Some do next to nothing. The average mask people actually wear may mitigate by about 50%. And that's averaging from the n95s about 2 people a day I see to the gaiters which are pretty much worthless.

If you factor in when people mess with them the mitigation rate probably drops below 20%
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:31 pm

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm

Came across this today

https://patch.com/illinois/joliet/s/h9zjf/pritzkers-covid-19-positivity-rate-not-scientifically-founded

From the article:
"I have been very critical of their use of this [positivity rate] metric and basically all the metrics they've put forth so far because they are not scientifically founded," Cobey said.

Cobey told Landis that Pritzker's administration has access to "really excellent metrics" but "has not picked them up."

The scientist said the Pritzker administration balked at using her team's more-accurate models because: "It's too complicated. People won't like it."

"I have a real problem in some ways defending what the state is doing because I think it is very precarious," Cobey told the News Democrat.

"We said, 'You're going to be losing scientific accuracy and probably credibility in the long run if you start using these other things.' … They're pretty adamant that actual science is too much."

When I reached out to Cobey hoping to get more insight on the data that Pritzker's people consider too complicated for Illinoisans, she didn't want to talk about it.

Here is Cobey's Bio and an article on her thoughts on testing at universities - https://cobeylab.uchicago.edu/people/sarah-cobey/

https://www.wglt.org/post/tale-two-schools-covid-19-testing-illinois-campuses#stream/0

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

tps likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:41 pm

For Friday statewide positivity rate is 4.9%. In Sangamon county it is 5.8% and there were 96 new cases here today.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Decatur's mayor said yesterday she has gotten it.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by tps Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:07 pm

dusty7 wrote:Came across this today

https://patch.com/illinois/joliet/s/h9zjf/pritzkers-covid-19-positivity-rate-not-scientifically-founded

From the article:
"I have been very critical of their use of this [positivity rate] metric and basically all the metrics they've put forth so far because they are not scientifically founded," Cobey said.

Cobey told Landis that Pritzker's administration has access to "really excellent metrics" but "has not picked them up."

The scientist said the Pritzker administration balked at using her team's more-accurate models because: "It's too complicated. People won't like it."

"I have a real problem in some ways defending what the state is doing because I think it is very precarious," Cobey told the News Democrat.

"We said, 'You're going to be losing scientific accuracy and probably credibility in the long run if you start using these other things.' … They're pretty adamant that actual science is too much."

When I reached out to Cobey hoping to get more insight on the data that Pritzker's people consider too complicated for Illinoisans, she didn't want to talk about it.

Here is Cobey's Bio and an article on her thoughts on testing at universities - https://cobeylab.uchicago.edu/people/sarah-cobey/

https://www.wglt.org/post/tale-two-schools-covid-19-testing-illinois-campuses#stream/0

FoLlOw tHe sCiEnCe they said. Its about power and control.

tps
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:33 pm

Another fun find...this one from twitter. There is so much we are not being told.Coronavirus III - Page 11 12345610

This is posted in IDPH as well, http://dph.illinois.gov/news/after-reporting-67000-tests-public-health-officials-announce-highest-one-day-coronavirus

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:08 pm

For Friday 10/16 statewide positivity is 5.1%. 2014 hospitalizations in Illinois for COVID19.

Sangamon County 6.2% and Macon County 11.4% positivity.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:55 am

Another promising treatment.

https://scitechdaily.com/johns-hopkins-researchers-identify-immune-system-pathway-that-may-stop-covid-19-infection/

Also, looking at USA Today, as we see cases increase the number of deaths per day are still pretty flat as they have been since June.

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

tps likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tps Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:10 am

On the bright side, it looks like the flu has disappeared.
https://twitter.com/oliviakingia/status/1317375023540281344?s=19

tps
Bee-otch

general maximus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:28 pm

For Monday October 19 we are at 5.4% statewide positivity.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:46 pm

Cases going up but yet deaths are still averaging less than 1,000 per week nationallly for 5 weeks straight weeks. Guess we will see what happens in the next few days, deaths should start to skyrocket due to the increase in cases.

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:48 pm

dusty7 wrote:Cases going up but yet deaths are still averaging less than 1,000 per week nationallly for 5 weeks straight weeks.  Guess we will see what happens in the next few days, deaths should start to skyrocket due to the increase in cases.  

They could, but i doubt they do. Just like in July.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:49 pm

dusty7 wrote:Cases going up but yet deaths are still averaging less than 1,000 per week nationallly for 5 weeks straight weeks.  Guess we will see what happens in the next few days, deaths should start to skyrocket due to the increase in cases.  

Or the stimulus money runs out and hospitals have no financial incentive to classify deaths as Covid related... Covid deaths go down....

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:39 am

So the state is now including somewhat inaccurate rapid testing to find positive cases but those tests can no longer be use for a student to show proof of a negative test. This makes no sense whatsoever.

It is just somewhat curious how the testing process has changed to identify more positives just a few weeks before the election.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:37 am

Not sure where to post this, but an interesting article in today's Tribune about the new Netflix movie on the Chicago 7 trial. Judging by the article, things aren't really that different today. Media interpretation about the Coronavirus has and continues to be a hot topic.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-chicago-7-prosecutor-dick-schultz-seminar-20201020-xlabkrtwrfgk3mezgraswhqkxq-story.html

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 pm

For October 20 statewide positivity is 5.5%. 2261 is the number of statewide hospitalizations with COVID19. I look at these Illinois stats pretty regularly and still see that almost all the fatalities are people over 70 years old. Infections are up all over the country but we're not seeing as many deaths as we were during the first peak back in July.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:13 pm

DuPage, Kane, Will, and Kankakee Counties all getting a timeout from JB.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next