Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus I

+18
gagliardisports247
Dawgdad
dusty7
wolverine55
mc140
19delta
4a(6afornet)north
lefty120
HHSTigerFan2
Pike Bishop
BirdWatcher
net
OldTitan
Teetime
ging
newcom
OSUBucks
Head Idiot
22 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Coronavirus I - Page 20 Empty Re: Coronavirus I

Post by Teetime Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:32 pm

lefty120 wrote:We have a senior in our house. Our hearts are broken from yesterday’s news. He is the Senior class president, captain of the baseball team and was throwing in track this spring as well. I think he’d pay a good amount of money to walk in that building one more time as a student. Trying to remember the great moments he’s had on the football field and walking our halls every day, but man it’s tough. Regardless of your politics, which many of us have valid views and yet different views, this goes deeper than just who’s right or wrong. There are so many kids and families like ours all over the country that are affected by this horrible situation.

So sorry for your son. I agree with all of that.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:14 pm

lefty120 wrote:We have a senior in our house. Our hearts are broken from yesterday’s news. He is the Senior class president, captain of the baseball team and was throwing in track this spring as well. I think he’d pay a good amount of money to walk in that building one more time as a student. Trying to remember the great moments he’s had on the football field and walking our halls every day, but man it’s tough. Regardless of your politics, which many of us have valid views and yet different views, this goes deeper than just who’s right or wrong. There are so many kids and families like ours all over the country that are affected by this horrible situation.

I realize everyone is in this boat, but what bothers me is I literally don't have a solid memory of March 13th, which ended up being our last day of student attendance. Such a nondescript day, which obviously the last day of school shouldn't be. I'm honestly not a very emotional person, but that thought really bothered me yesterday when the official announcement came across that we were shutting down for the rest of the year. I think deep down most of us knew we weren't going back to school as soon as we closed, but it was still a little bit of downer actually hearing it.

wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
For exactly the same reason you did, to over exaggerate.

But I wasn’t over exaggerating. You were, and it’s proven.
When was there ever a riot over Obama?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:26 pm

Teetime wrote:Rioting was an overstatement. But those Governors are trying to enforce the distancing standards that the federal government recommended. Why encourage protests against those Governors and only against the democratic Governors in toss up States?

Why play politics from the bathroom of the Oval Office?
At no point has anyone in the federal government said you can't plant a flower or use a boat or go for a walk. Michigan has though.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:39 pm

I'm sorry for you. That's tough.

Our middle guy is a senior, too. But we aren't heartbroken about how his high school career ended. He had an amazing senior year from August through that last day in March (1st Team IHSFCA Class 2a All-State, wrestling sectional qualifier, IHSFCA and IWCOA Academic All-State, Illinois State Scholar, just to name a few of his awards and recognitions). He earned an incredible financial aid package from a good school where he can play football and get an engineering degree. Long story short, he did all he set out to do and doesn't have anything left to acomplish or prove in high school. He's ready to put a bow on it and start the 2nd act of his life.

Obviously, not all seniors and their parents are feeling this way.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:57 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:Rioting was an overstatement. But those Governors are trying to enforce the distancing standards that the federal government recommended. Why encourage protests against those Governors and only against the democratic Governors in toss up States?

At no point has anyone in the federal government said you can't plant a flower or use a boat or go for a walk. Michigan has though.

The total willingness of many Americans to totally give up control of their lives to the government scares me far more than the actual virus does.  And, the fact that they not only gave up that control but did so so readily and quickly...
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:04 pm

Head Idiot wrote:

No. The President said all of those nasty details were up to the Governors. I think the protests were more about opening businesses. The businesses the federal government recommended be shut down.

https://www.cisa.gov/publication/guidance-essential-critical-infrastructure-workforce

https://www.williamsmullen.com/news/federal-dhs-dod-guidance-regarding-essential-businesses-are-or-may-be-expected-continue-operations

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:11 pm

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:18 pm

wolverine55 wrote:The total willingness of many Americans to totally give up control of their lives to the government scares me far more than the actual virus does.  And, the fact that they not only gave up that control but did so so readily and quickly...

When there is a health scare that could cost you your life, you are very willing to “obey” the Governor and the medical experts he or she is citing for advice.

When you are ignoring said Governor and medical experts and it might cost the health or even the life of a person you come in contact with, you tend to “obey”. That person you come in contact with might be a stranger or a family member.

Last edited by Teetime on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:28 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
For exactly the same reason you did, to over exaggerate.

But I wasn’t over exaggerating. You were, and it’s proven.
When was there ever a riot over Obama?

You have this backwards again. I didn’t say there were riots, I said there would have been had Obama said what Trump said. Obama didn’t say he was all powerful, he wasn’t that ignorant of the Constitution. So, there were no riots.

Someone did actually wish Obama dead and there were no riots. You said there would be riots if someone had wished Obama dead.

See, you were provably wrong.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:00 pm

Teetime wrote:
wolverine55 wrote:The total willingness of many Americans to totally give up control of their lives to the government scares me far more than the actual virus does.  And, the fact that they not only gave up that control but did so so readily and quickly...

When there is a health scare that could cost you your life, you are very willing to “obey” the Governor and the medical experts he or she is citing for advice.

When you ignoring said Governor and medical experts might cost the health or even the life of a person you come in contact with, you tend to “obey”. That person you come in contact with might be a stranger of a family member.

There are threats to your life and loved ones every minute of your and their lives. At some point you can't cower in fear. From what has become known about this disease, I have a much better chance dying on my way to work in an accident, or from HIV from a prisoner or getting hit by a car running in my neighborhood.

And no one cares. But to suggest that we're giving up to much of what makes us American to avoid a 1% chance of death is considered damnable. That is what most people are pushing back against.

This sentence from another board is the mindset that frightens me FAR more than the rona-
Look no further than here in Michigan to see how spoiled all of us in America are by freedom.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:24 pm

Teetime wrote:That is just a lie about going for a walk in Michigan.

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/heres-what-you-need-know-about-michigans-stay-home-order

My bad.

Don't plant anything. You still can go buy weed and alcohol though.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:57 pm

Head Idiot wrote:That is what most people are pushing back against.

Most people aren’t pushing back.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:02 pm

Teetime wrote:

You don't get out much do you?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:14 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:

I read a lot.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/492886-poll-81-percent-say-keep-social-distancing-despite-damage-to-economy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:08 am

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:

I read a lot.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/492886-poll-81-percent-say-keep-social-distancing-despite-damage-to-economy

It is easier to say keep it shut down if you are at home still making money or collecting unemployment that is higher than what you were making. The government bought about 4 months of time.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:54 am

mc140 wrote:
Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:

I read a lot.

It is easier to say keep it shut down if you are at home still making money or collecting unemployment that is higher than what you were making. The government bought about 4 months of time.

+1. I don't know that they bought 2 months for the average person. My family's $3400 wouldn't last a month if my wife and I were out of work.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:55 am

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:

I read a lot.

Polls also said Hillary was a shoo in.

Go out and tell me what you see. People are pushing against this lock down stuff at every turn.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:23 am

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:

I read a lot.

But, here's the thing. Not every state is "socially distancing" the same way. There is absolutely no consistency in what is considered "essential" and what isn't. HI provided two examples of this. I can golf here in Iowa yet I can't at a course 2 miles away in Hamilton, IL. Things are either safe or they are not and governments are providing no consistency in this.

And, just for the record, I'm not wanting a total free-for-all. I'm all for safety. In fact, I know I've stayed home more than a couple of my social media friends who are literally begging for more government restrictions...
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:13 am

amen, lefty. well said.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:15 am

19delta wrote:

I'm sorry for you. That's tough.

Our middle guy is a senior, too. But we aren't heartbroken about how his high school career ended. He had an amazing senior year from August through that last day in March (1st Team IHSFCA Class 2a All-State, wrestling sectional qualifier, IHSFCA and IWCOA Academic All-State, Illinois State Scholar, just to name a few of his awards and recognitions). He earned an incredible financial aid package from a good school where he can play football and get an engineering degree. Long story short, he did all he set out to do and doesn't have anything left to acomplish or prove in high school. He's ready to put a bow on it and start the 2nd act of his life.

Obviously, not all seniors and their parents are feeling this way.  

congratulations and best of luck to your son!
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:26 am

Head Idiot wrote:
From what has become known about this disease, I have a much better chance dying on my way to work in an accident, or from HIV from a prisoner or getting hit by a car running in my neighborhood.

what about those in our communities who are far more susceptible to covid19 than you are?  what's your level of concern for their health? for many of us, it isn't about US getting sick.  it's about us potentially giving it to someone else who won't be able to handle it as well and the impact that would have on our health care system.

as you know...there's no vaccine
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:26 pm

ging wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
From what has become known about this disease, I have a much better chance dying on my way to work in an accident, or from HIV from a prisoner or getting hit by a car running in my neighborhood.

what about those in our communities who are far more susceptible to covid19 than you are?  what's your level of concern for their health? for many of us, it isn't about US getting sick.  it's about us potentially giving it to someone else who won't be able to handle it as well and the impact that would have on our health care system.

as you know...there's no vaccine
Keep them in isolation? Allow them to choose what they want their level of risk to be?

I know that when my kids have been fluish sick, we don't visit our older relatives. Why not follow the same guidelines here? For many, the steps being forced on them isn't worth the cost.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:35 pm

This poll reflects what I posted on here a couple weeks ago, which is that Democrats are more reluctant to open the economy back up than Republicans. IMO we won't be ready to open by May 1st but I'm hopeful that we will by around the middle of May.
I think Pritzker has done a good job managing the crisis so far. That said if I were voting in this poll I'd vote for being more concerned about the economy opening too late because I'm sure that JBP won't open things up too soon.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/493556-poll-almost-6-in-10-concerned-about-us-reopening-too
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:26 pm

What are the stats on the number of recoveries? Having a hard time finding that number from most mainstream media outlets.

At this point they should be reporting the number of CURRENT cases, not the TOTAL number of cases since a large majority of people have recovered.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next