Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus I

+18
gagliardisports247
Dawgdad
dusty7
wolverine55
mc140
19delta
4a(6afornet)north
lefty120
HHSTigerFan2
Pike Bishop
BirdWatcher
net
OldTitan
Teetime
ging
newcom
OSUBucks
Head Idiot
22 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Coronavirus I - Page 6 Empty Re: Coronavirus I

Post by Head Idiot Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 pm

4a(6afornet)north wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
4a(6afornet)north wrote:about to go from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5TZ6fTYrsE  to a "state of emergency".....
That's a pretty convenient edit there.

You're right he said/meant none of that...it's all made up right??? This is why the guy is a total idiot....supposed to be a leader of the free world,that other countries will follow his lead in times of crisis and yet he's a total \"f\"ing asshat......now today he's going to declare a state of emergency for something that despite being told by experts was coming,he kept downplaying and denying......
No, it's not made up. He said it.

It's just completely out of context to what he was saying because of the edit, but, who cares right?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:13 pm

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:Find me an ICE or Immigration spokesperson who said something before Congress that OSU thought was bullshit and the media ignored.
What? How does OSU's opinion play into this scenario. You asked what government entities are ignored by the media. I answered. Now I need to run it through OSU first?

Sure. OSU thought what Dr. Faucci said was bullshit and therefore should have gone unreported by the media. Read what he said.[/quote]

That has nothing to do with the question you asked me, but, have a nice day?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 4a(6afornet)north Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:19 pm

Out of context? Really? ok.........just so you don't take what I said out of context "he's a \"f\"ing asshat"

4a(6afornet)north
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:25 pm

4a(6afornet)north wrote:Out of context? Really? ok.........just so you don't take what I said out of context "he's a \"f\"ing asshat"
As they all are.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:32 pm

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:40 pm

ging wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:
When this is all said and done I think the casualties will be about 1/10 of that of influenza if that. This expert said it would be a lot worse.

as with all things, time will tell.  and i hope you're right!  but, will that be due to chance or because we were proactive and took extreme measures to prevent the spread of the virus?

The problem with the coronavirus (or any epidemic) is not the fatalities, unless it is something like the 1918 flu. It's the overwhelming number of people getting sick all at once swamping medical care.

So ging...I agree with you. The effects of the coronavirus probably will end up not being so "bad" when we look back on this in six month. But I think that the reason that it won't be that bad is because of the things that are being done now to slow the rate of infection.

To quote an excellent video on YouTube, it's like trying to count the people who didn't die in wars that were never fought.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:29 pm

19delta wrote:
ging wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:
When this is all said and done I think the casualties will be about 1/10 of that of influenza if that. This expert said it would be a lot worse.

as with all things, time will tell.  and i hope you're right!  but, will that be due to chance or because we were proactive and took extreme measures to prevent the spread of the virus?

The problem with the coronavirus (or any epidemic) is not the fatalities, unless it is something like the 1918 flu. It's the overwhelming number of people getting sick all at once swamping medical care.

So ging...I agree with you. The effects of the coronavirus probably will end up not being so "bad" when we look back on this in six month. But I think that the reason that it won't be that bad is because of the things that are being done now to slow the rate of infection.

To quote an excellent video on YouTube, it's like trying to count the people who didn't die in wars that were never fought.

I certainly agree that the proactive measures being taken will substantially decrease the number of those who contract the disease. The other reason that it's not going to be as bad looking back is because this virus only kills a very small percentage of those who contract the disease and for at least 80% of those who contract it the symptoms are more mild than the flu.
There's no country in the world more capable than the US in handling a crisis like this.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:47 pm

No question we are capable of handling it...problem is, we need leadership. The greatest irony will be if Trump gets Corona. As flippant as he's been about getting tested and then not wanting to answer questions about how his administration eliminated a pandemic team from the National Security Agency in February...he seriously acted like he didn't know anything about it. What a joke.

And why is he not issuing an Executive Order shutting down all schools in the country for an undisclosed time? Leaving this stuff up to the states is an awfully risky proposition and will, I'm afraid, only drag this out even longer.

And before you start defending Trump, no, I'm not saying Biden, Obama, Bush or any of our other potential or past leaders would be doing better...cause I'm not sure they would be.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:51 pm

You make a good point about lack of leadership. When Ebola broke out in Africa in 2014 Obama took the threat seriously. He set up a permanent epidemic monitoring and command group inside both the NSC and DHS. In 2018 Trump axed these programs. In late January when the Coronavirus outbreak began in China the US should have gotten the ball rolling on testing kits. It appears to me that Trump never took this threat serious until last week. We lost over a month that something could have been done.
Ronald Klain, the man Obama appointed to be more or less his "epidemic czar" has been sounding the alarm for the last two years that the US was in danger if a pandemic were to emerge to no avail. Now here we are in scramble mode trying to get ready.
This just in. Springfield now has it's first Coronavirus patient. She's 71 years old, lives in Florida and recently came to Springfield to visit. Some of her family back home in Florida had been in Europe recently so that's the likely source of the infection. She is in intensive care. Memorial Hospital has a 28 bed quarantine unit set up and until today all of those beds were empty. I know all this because I have a daughter that works for Memorial Hospital.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:51 pm

OSUBucks wrote:This info comes from the Stanford Hospital board:

. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

THE SYMPTOMS:

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

Item #3 gives the temperature in Celsius which would be 78-80 Fahrenheit. That strongly suggests to me that this is going to be a seasonal virus and things will return to normal in other 6 weeks or so.

This is misinformation:
Stanford Health Care, for their part, explicitly stated they had nothing to do with the email:
Snopes debunks alleged "Stanford Hospital Information" and others on COVID-19
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:56 pm

Yeah, I discovered that earlier today. Sorry about that. I always try to post accurate info but got duped like a lot of others apparently.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:00 am

Head Idiot wrote:That has nothing to do with the question you asked me, but, have a nice day?

What question that I asked you?

I was having a conversation with OSU about the media and it's role in reporting news and you hopped in with a FOX news talking point.

Last edited by Teetime on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:01 am

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:02 am

OSUBucks wrote: This just in. Springfield now has it's first Coronavirus patient. She's 71 years old, lives in Florida and recently came to Springfield to visit. Some of her family back home in Florida had been in Europe recently so that's the likely source of the infection. She is in intensive care. Memorial Hospital has a 28 bed quarantine unit set up and until today all of those beds were empty. I know all this because I have a daughter that works for Memorial Hospital.

That is some good information there. Thank you.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:51 am

According to the CDC, there should be over 11,000 cases of coronavirus nationwide by today. I think we are less than a third of that.

https://time.com/5801726/coronavirus-models-forecast/
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:32 pm

19delta wrote:According to the CDC, there should be over 11,000 cases of coronavirus nationwide by today. I think we are less than a third of that.

How many test have actually been given?

I am also a believer that many of us were already exposed to this without realizing it last couple of months.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:48 pm

mc140 wrote:
19delta wrote:According to the CDC, there should be over 11,000 cases of coronavirus nationwide by today. I think we are less than a third of that.

How many test have actually been given?

I am also a believer that many of us were already exposed to this without realizing it last couple of months.

Yes. Entirely possible.

But, of the 3,000 known cases, how many were diagnosed with a test? How many of those were just doctors telling someone they had the coronavirus?
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:21 pm

Teetime wrote:
OSUBucks wrote: This just in. Springfield now has it's first Coronavirus patient. She's 71 years old, lives in Florida and recently came to Springfield to visit. Some of her family back home in Florida had been in Europe recently so that's the likely source of the infection. She is in intensive care. Memorial Hospital has a 28 bed quarantine unit set up and until today all of those beds were empty. I know all this because I have a daughter that works for Memorial Hospital.

You're welcome.

Also I understand bars and restaurants in Springfield are being closed until the end of the month. Some are unhappy at the Mayor for being seen out celebrating St Pats in a bar this weekend. No doubt the more we can keep the population dispersed the fewer new positive tests we'll have.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:55 pm

OSUBucks wrote:
Teetime wrote:

You're welcome.

Also I understand bars and restaurants in Springfield are being closed until the end of the month. Some are unhappy at the Mayor for being seen out celebrating St Pats in a bar this weekend. No doubt the more we can keep the population dispersed the fewer new positive tests we'll have.

Well, they are all closed now.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:30 pm

19delta wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:
Teetime wrote:

You're welcome.

Well, they are all closed now.

Yep, I guess you can get carryout at some restaurants and restaurants with drive up windows will still be available.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 pm

Word on the street is Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds is going to hold a press conference tomorrow and announce a "recommendation" that we close school for four weeks.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:31 pm

Those predictions were not the product of work done by the CDC. It says so right in the article.

When they get tests out that number might prove to be pretty low.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:40 pm

Teetime wrote:

Those predictions were not the product of work done by the CDC. It says so right in the article.

When they get tests out that number might prove to be pretty low.

From the article:

"To better understand outbreaks like this, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) consults a network of academics and industry experts who specialize in modeling the spread of contagious diseases. One of those outside groups, the Laboratory for the Modeling of Biological and Socio-technical Systems at Northeastern University, provided TIME with exclusive access to 100 of the different coronavirus scenarios it has generated in its efforts to support the CDC."
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:33 am

Exactly. Northeastern University’s Socio-Technical Systems produced those scenarios.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:16 am

Teetime wrote:Exactly. Northeastern University’s Socio-Technical Systems produced those  scenarios.

CDC is a US government agency, no?

Like all government agencies, I'm sure the CDC utilizes private contractors extensively. Northeastern University's Socio-Technical Systems is clearly a CDC contractor.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next