Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phase 4 = high school football?

+25
Pike Bishop
tm
4a(6afornet)north
tps
ging
dusty7
Teetime
guerin2.0
footballguy99
Bighitter11
Cyclone1
streatorfan88
HHSTigerFan2
newcom
wolverine55
ramblinman
center
lefty120
19delta
mc140
BirdWatcher
Head Idiot
net
OldTitan
OSUBucks
29 posters

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 10 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by center Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:34 am

I hope I’m wrong, but I worry that the high contact sports such as football and wrestling (competitive cheer) will have hard time being allowed in Illinois this year even with delays.

center
Bee-otch

OldTitan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 10 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Head Idiot Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:35 am

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:09 am

center wrote:I hope I’m wrong, but I worry that the high contact sports such as football and wrestling (competitive cheer) will have hard time being allowed in Illinois this year even with delays.

I am hearing JAN-FEB = Winter Sports, MAR-APR = Fall Sports, MAY-JUNE = Spring Sports
A rumor, but a rumor from someone well-placed.
If you ever doubted football was the king of high school sports this (if true) should challenge that notion. Hard to imagine why we could not play golf and tennis this fall.

I think the likelihood of having sports in the spring is linked to the experiences in other states. If it is disaster in Iowa, Missouri, and Michigan - it's hard to imagine IL will go through with sports. And that is assuming our positivity rate of infection remains below 5%.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

center likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:23 pm

OldTitan wrote:
If you ever doubted football was the king of high school sports this (if true) should challenge that notion.
In 2012 there was ONE entity in the entirety of Cerro Gordo school district that made money for the district. The football program.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:58 am

Head Idiot wrote:
OldTitan wrote:
If you ever doubted football was the king of high school sports this (if true) should challenge that notion.
In 2012 there was ONE entity in the entirety of Cerro Gordo school district that made money for the district. The football program.

When you factor in equipment, workers, stipends, reconditioning etc, football doesn't come close to breaking even at my place in a typical year. Most of our crowds consist of over 50% students, who do not pay to get in. Visiting stands might have a couple hundred people on a good night.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by center Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:05 am

Football is the entity that makes money for the IHSA.

I do hope that the attempt to have football this year doesn’t take all other sports down with the ship. There is no reason most of the IHSA sports can’t be offered this year.

center
Bee-otch

OldTitan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 4a(6afornet)north Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:53 am

Well,this wont help matters any....MLB cancels games tonight after Miami has 14 players and coaches test positive......dont see football happening in IHSA.

4a(6afornet)north
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:01 am

Serious question- What is the hope in postponing things?

Outside a "miracle" vaccine which may or may not work, winter and spring is going to be the same thing. Remember- this was only supposed to last 2-3 weeks in March.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:36 am

D3 American Rivers Conference, all Iowa schools and one school from Nebraska, are proceeding with fall sports, playing a conference-only schedule.

Is the NCAA really going to allow some D3 schools to play this fall but let others try and play in the spring? Obviously, there can't be any kind of postseason.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Maybe I need to reread the email, but the message I got from Illinois College yesterday used the word “cancelled” and no mention was made of attempting it in the spring.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:08 pm

In retreading it, it was mentioned that the “possibility of playing fall sports in the spring is currently being evaluated.”
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:43 pm

Check this out regarding D3 and UW-Whitewater. Especially the 50% rule. They will end up with an extra year with some kids.

I wouldn’t expect D3 playoffs in fall sports.

https://www.gazettextra.com/sports/college/miller-bullis-wont-be-boarding-any-buses-this-fall-after-wiac-cancels-sports-season/article_fe69abce-3789-5f6c-9666-3cbfd6077354.html

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:48 pm

The IHSA board of directors are meeting tomorrow. I expect an announcement shortly after that meeting. The Governor seemed to imply today that the decision on fall sports is in the hands of the IHSA. I'm not buying that. If we have football at all I think it will be early next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel all fall sports. I can see the difficulties of having football but they could put policies in place for individual sports which would make them pretty safe. I don't expect them to take into consideration the fact that teenagers rarely get very sick from COVID19 either.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by HHSTigerFan2 Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:05 pm

Schools that had plans to have normal school are starting to backtrack quickly.. Herscher announced two weeks ago that school as normal was the plan, today they changed that to families having two options...in person school from 8-11:45 or remote learning from 12:30-3...

HHSTigerFan2
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:01 pm

HHSTigerFan2 wrote:Schools that had plans to have normal school are starting to backtrack quickly.. Herscher announced two weeks ago that school as normal was the plan, today they changed that to families having two options...in person school from 8-11:45 or remote learning from 12:30-3...

Is that because of negative feedback from families or virus concerns?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:15 pm

No all the changes are because the state changed guidelines changes and now say that schools have to provide remote learning option without a Drs note. Previous guidelines said students had option of home school or remote with a Drs note.

Once schools develop plans ISBE moves the goal posts. They won't be happy until no one is in schools but they won't come out and say that for whatever reason. Same as canceling fall sports, should have just made the call back in June when we all knew it was going to happen anyway. It's all about public perception at this point.

Last edited by dusty7 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by HHSTigerFan2 Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:29 pm

Teetime wrote:
HHSTigerFan2 wrote:Schools that had plans to have normal school are starting to backtrack quickly.. Herscher announced two weeks ago that school as normal was the plan, today they changed that to families having two options...in person school from 8-11:45 or remote learning from 12:30-3...

Is that because of negative feedback from families or virus concerns?

A big part of it was one of the teachers tested positive, plus Kankakee and Bradley are going with remote options so made sense to be consistent

HHSTigerFan2
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:06 pm

dusty7 wrote: Same as canceling fall sports, should have just made the call back in June when we all knew it was going to happen anyway.  It's all about public perception at this point.  

A share some of your frustration. i think we are delayed in the announcement tomorrow (with a similar scheme to S. Cal.), but I don't think they really think we will play. That will give them the best optics in the situation.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:13 pm

The Governor today:

This virus is unrelenting, and it spreads so easily that no amount of restriction seems to keep it off the playing field or out of the locker room.

And it’s very painful, frankly, for all of us to make this realization. But with rising rates of spread of the virus, with rising positivity rates throughout Illinois, and the entire United States, this is a situation where the toughest choice is also the safest choice.

Therefore today, my administration is releasing new guidance restricting youth and adult recreational organized sports in Illinois. That Aincludes school based sports such as those governing governed by the IHSA and IES, travel clubs, private leagues, recreational leagues and sports centers and Park District sports programs, just to name a few. In the array of examples, we have worked in consultation with the governing bodies of many of these organized sports programs and collectively. We hope that when metrics and risks improve measurably, we will be able to restart the sports. I want to be clear that the restrictions issued today do not include professional sports leagues, or collegiate level sports.

I know our hearts break when we hear the word restrictions, especially when it comes to our children’s love for their sports, whether this year is their first time on the court, or it’s their senior year season.

This isn’t news that anyone wants to hear. But this virus remains dangerous to kids and parents and grandparents, teachers and coaches and for right now. This is the best thing that we can do for the health and safety of our families. Under the current circumstances, based upon their inherent risk level and based upon minimal contact between athletes and their proximity during play. There are certain sports whose seasons can move forward with more limited restrictions. Tennis and baseball as examples simply don’t carry the higher risk inherent in contact sports like wrestling and football. That differentiation is reflected in these guidelines which categorize each sport into three overarching risk levels, lower, medium, and higher.

Think of these guidelines like a grid. Three risk levels of sports and four tiers of levels of play, based on current public health conditions.

At each of the four tiers, different aspects of play are permitted, from no contact practices that include conditioning and training at level one to full scale tournaments in level four. Effective August 15, lower risk sports like tennis, and baseball and golf can be played at levels one, two and three, with activities like no contact practices, team scrimmages and certain competitive games allowed with IDPH safety guidelines.

Medium risk sports like basketball, soccer and volleyball can be played at levels one and two, with no contact practices and team scrimmages allowed.

And higher risk sports like football hockey and lacrosse can be played at level one with no contact practices and trainings and conditioning.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:07 pm

IHSA moved the season to mid-Feb to mid-May 2021. I'll believe it when I see it - fully expect it to be cancelled.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:20 pm

If there is a vaccine by January 15, 2021, they will have a season.

My prediction.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:33 pm

OldTitan wrote:IHSA moved the season to mid-Feb to mid-May 2021. I'll believe it when I see it - fully expect it to be cancelled.

7 months is a long time. I don’t share your outlook, but what in your mind are the sticking points to say it will be canceled?

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:34 pm

Teetime wrote:If there is a vaccine by January 15, 2021, they will have a season.

My prediction.

I tend to agree with this...or some sort of treatment that is effective for most people.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:54 pm

lefty120 wrote:
OldTitan wrote:IHSA moved the season to mid-Feb to mid-May 2021. I'll believe it when I see it - fully expect it to be cancelled.

7 months is a long time. I don’t share your outlook, but what in your mind are the sticking points to say it will be canceled?  

I really hope I am wrong. I just foresee a second wave coming in December into February.

A vaccine would change everything I agree.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:16 pm

I recently saw a poll stating that once a vaccine is available a fair amount of people say they are going to wait a while before they get one. People are already being vaccinated in these trails. By year end they will know if they are safe. I'm getting vaccinated as soon as vaccines are available here and I urge everyone else to do the same. Meanwhile stay out of the bars, that's where many of our young people are getting infected.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next