Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home gym equipment must-haves

+4
Teetime
OSUBucks
Head Idiot
19delta
8 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Home gym equipment must-haves - Page 4 Empty Re: Home gym equipment must-haves

Post by 19delta Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:56 pm

I just picked up 300lbs of weight for under $1/pound.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:37 am

19delta wrote:I just picked up 300lbs of weight for under $1/pound.
Nice. Where'd you do that?

PS- after my first day of DL in 2 years, I am sore as crap. Which is interesting since I've squatted twice and front squatted once every week during that period
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:51 am

You still need Plates HI?
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:54 am

Bighitter11 wrote:You still need Plates HI?
Depends. I'm not desperate, but you can always find a home for more. What you got?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:49 am

Let me go out to the school and look what we still have left that didnt get tossed.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:53 am

Bighitter11 wrote:tossed.
Surprised Shocked Surprised Shocked Surprised Shocked
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:44 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
19delta wrote:I just picked up 300lbs of weight for under $1/pound.
Nice. Where'd you do that?

PS- after my first day of DL in 2 years, I am sore as crap. Which is interesting since I've squatted twice and front squatted once every week during that period

Facebook Marketplace. Some retired cop in Ogle County.

I now have ten 45lbs-Fitness Gear plates. They aren't the greatest but at least they are a matched set.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:58 pm

19delta wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:Delta- any favorite bar you use or want? I have one, but it's pretty low end. Maybe thinking Christmas money.

Yes.

If you aren't doing Oly movements, the best general-purpose bar on the market is the Texas Power Bar from Texas Strength Systems. Deep and aggressive knurling and very low whip. It's excellent for pressing and squatting. I don't like dead lifting or doing Olys with it because it has virtually no whip and the knurling is tough on your hands. It's extremely rigid (that's what she said!) and won't flex under heavy load. You can dead lift with a Texas Power Bar but it will tear your hands up pretty good.

Another good, all-around barbell is the Rogue Echo 2.0. It's a budget barbell but still a Rogue and performs well. I bought 5 of them for our weight room last year and the kids love them for Oly lifts. Also good for squats, presses, pulls, and dead lifts.

If you are REALLY into deadlifting, check out a Texas Deadlift Bar (also from Texas Strength Systems). It's the best deadlift bar on the market. Once you have pulled with a Texas Deadlift Bar, you will never want to use a conventional bar again. The TDB has a 27mm shaft so it is much easier to grip, the bar is almost 8' long, and has tremendous whip. Under heavy loads, the bar will flex over an inch before the weight breaks from the floor. You will pull huge dead lifts with a TDB.
Picked up a Rogue Ohio bar from their "Boneyard" for 225 last night. Waiting to ship. I'll let you know what it's like when I get it. Supposed to be 5-7 days. Starting to see too much bend in the generic bar I use no that I'm back to decent weights- 345x5 on bench, 355x5 on squat (still a little leary from the injury 2 years ago) and already back to 355x6 on DL (with the boxes).
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:41 am

Head Idiot wrote:
19delta wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:Delta- any favorite bar you use or want? I have one, but it's pretty low end. Maybe thinking Christmas money.

Yes.

If you aren't doing Oly movements, the best general-purpose bar on the market is the Texas Power Bar from Texas Strength Systems. Deep and aggressive knurling and very low whip. It's excellent for pressing and squatting. I don't like dead lifting or doing Olys with it because it has virtually no whip and the knurling is tough on your hands. It's extremely rigid (that's what she said!) and won't flex under heavy load. You can dead lift with a Texas Power Bar but it will tear your hands up pretty good.

Another good, all-around barbell is the Rogue Echo 2.0. It's a budget barbell but still a Rogue and performs well. I bought 5 of them for our weight room last year and the kids love them for Oly lifts. Also good for squats, presses, pulls, and dead lifts.

If you are REALLY into deadlifting, check out a Texas Deadlift Bar (also from Texas Strength Systems). It's the best deadlift bar on the market. Once you have pulled with a Texas Deadlift Bar, you will never want to use a conventional bar again. The TDB has a 27mm shaft so it is much easier to grip, the bar is almost 8' long, and has tremendous whip. Under heavy loads, the bar will flex over an inch before the weight breaks from the floor. You will pull huge dead lifts with a TDB.
Picked up a Rogue Ohio bar from their "Boneyard" for 225 last night. Waiting to ship. I'll let you know what it's like when I get it. Supposed to be 5-7 days. Starting to see too much bend in the generic bar I use no that I'm back to decent weights- 345x5 on bench, 355x5 on squat (still a little leary from the injury 2 years ago) and already back to 355x6 on DL (with the boxes).

The Ohio bar has had really good reviews. Basically Rogue's version of the Texas Power Bar. The only thing I don't like about the Ohio bar is that it doesn't have center knurling.

355x6 on deadlift? What's up with all the cardio? Laughing
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:34 pm

Ya, I figured if it's their go to bar you can't beat it for that price. I just hope it's not too messed up.

Idk about the 6. Wednesday is a lighter lifting day as I get off work at 7am, sleep until about 1-2 and then lift as soon as I get up. It felt good last Wed so I did an extra rep.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:42 pm

Got the new bar today. Big, big fan. Maybe the nicest bar I've ever used.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:58 pm

My sophomore daughter squatted 210 5 times this morning in PE for her max. She benched 140 the other day while weighing 135lbs.

Stupid thing is, she doesn't lift that often. She has yet to lift in the Iron Paradise with me. I keep trying to tell her she doesn't have to get huge to get into power lifting. As a 15 year old girl, she won't have any of it. But, there is a ray of light. Last night she asked if she could lift at home so she "doesn't lose her gains".

And, if you hadn't guessed it yet, she is built just like her old man. Poor girl.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Teetime and lefty120 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:14 am

Head Idiot wrote:My sophomore daughter squatted 210 5 times this morning in PE for her max. She benched 140 the other day while weighing 135lbs.

Stupid thing is, she doesn't lift that often. She has yet to lift in the Iron Paradise with me. I keep trying to tell her she doesn't have to get huge to get into power lifting. As a 15 year old girl, she won't have any of it. But, there is a ray of light. Last night she asked if she could lift at home so she "doesn't lose her gains".

And, if you hadn't guessed it yet, she is built just like her old man. Poor girl.

Those are GREAT numbers.

That's an estimated 1RM of around 240lbs on squats and that bench press is huge for a teenage girl.

Assuming she is 16, here's both the current national records for the Amateur American Powerlifting Federation (AAPF) and the world records for the Amateur World Powerlifting Congress (AWPC) Women's Teen Raw 16-17 67.5kg (148lbs) Division:

Squat - 286lbs
Bench Press - 182lbs
Dead Lift - 336lbs
Total - 803lbs

So she is right there AND she can compete in this division all the way until she turns 18.

The Illinois AAPF records for her division are currently vacant so if she does a meet, she can claim those records provided she totals.

I didn't even check the APF/WPC records. They are parallel divisions. The only difference is that AAPF and AWPC are drug tested while APF/WPC are not. But lifters can compete in both.

So one thing you might want to run by her is that she has a chance to hold a national or even a world record. How many people do you know who hold a national or state record in anything? I think it is awesome and I would love for you to get her on the platform.

My middle guy (currently a college freshman) has been competing in powerlifting since he was 13. If you are interested or you have any questions, send me a PM. I have been around the sport long enough to be a pretty good resource. If you can convince her to compete, there's a really good meet in the suburbs coming up in December that would be a great opportunity to get into the sport.

I think people should do the things they are good at. Your daughter is good at lifting heavy shit. I would love to see her on the platform!

19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime, Head Idiot, lefty120 and net like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:15 am

19delta wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:My sophomore daughter squatted 210 5 times this morning in PE for her max. She benched 140 the other day while weighing 135lbs.

Those are GREAT numbers.

That's an estimated 1RM of around 240lbs on squats and that bench press is huge for a teenage girl.

Assuming she is 16, here's both the current national records for the Amateur American Powerlifting Federation (AAPF) and the world records for the Amateur World Powerlifting Congress (AWPC) Women's Teen Raw 16-17 67.5kg (148lbs) Division:

Squat - 286lbs
Bench Press - 182lbs
Dead Lift - 336lbs
Total - 803lbs

So she is right there AND she can compete in this division all the way until she turns 18.

The Illinois AAPF records for her division are currently vacant so if she does a meet, she can claim those records provided she totals.

I didn't even check the APF/WPC records. They are parallel divisions. The only difference is that AAPF and AWPC are drug tested while APF/WPC are not. But lifters can compete in both.

So one thing you might want to run by her is that she has a chance to hold a national or even a world record. How many people do you know who hold a national or state record in anything? I think it is awesome and I would love for you to get her on the platform.

My middle guy (currently a college freshman) has been competing in powerlifting since he was 13. If you are interested or you have any questions, send me a PM. I have been around the sport long enough to be a pretty good resource. If you can convince her to compete, there's a really good meet in the suburbs coming up in December that would be a great opportunity to get into the sport.

I think people should do the things they are good at. Your daughter is good at lifting heavy shit. I would love to see her on the platform!

This is why I love this board!

lefty120
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:27 pm

My kid came home from college to compete in the American Powerlifting Federation State Meet in Lombard. He competed in the Teen Raw 18-19 125kg division. Due to the Covid, it was his first meet in a year and he had a good day. He squatted 572lbs, bench pressed 407lbs, and dead lifted 578lbs for a 1,557lbs total.

He had the heaviest total of all lifters today and won the Best Lifter Award (adjusted score that factors in the lifter's bodyweight into the total) for all the Teen and Junior Raw lifters.

He also broke a bunch of state records and a couple national records.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime and OSUBucks like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:43 pm

My daughter is on the waiting list for the meet in December. Apparently the women's division filled up quick.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Teetime and lefty120 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:54 pm

19delta wrote:My kid came home from college to compete in the American Powerlifting Federation State Meet in Lombard. He competed in the Teen Raw 18-19 125kg division. Due to the Covid, it was his first meet in a year and he had a good day. He squatted 572lbs, bench pressed 407lbs, and dead lifted 578lbs for a 1,557lbs total.

He had the heaviest total of all lifters today and won the Best Lifter Award (adjusted score that factors in the lifter's bodyweight into the total) for all the Teen and Junior Raw lifters.

Congrats to him coach! That’s awesome!! Definitely some good news in these crazy time’s.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:36 pm

19delta wrote:My kid came home from college to compete in the American Powerlifting Federation State Meet in Lombard. He competed in the Teen Raw 18-19 125kg division. Due to the Covid, it was his first meet in a year and he had a good day. He squatted 572lbs, bench pressed 407lbs, and dead lifted 578lbs for a 1,557lbs total.

Congrats to your son delta, that is just awesome!
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:08 am

Head Idiot wrote:My daughter is on the waiting list for the meet in December. Apparently the women's division filled up quick.

With the way the Covid is trending in Illinois right now, I'm expecting the meet will be postponed.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:17 am

19delta wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:My daughter is on the waiting list for the meet in December. Apparently the women's division filled up quick.

With the way the Covid is trending in Illinois right now, I'm expecting the meet will be postponed.
He emailed my wife last night to let her know a spot opened. I guess we'll see. I kinda wondered if it would go on kinda like youth sports did all summer.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:58 pm

So, took my daughter to her first powerlifting meet today. After getting her in the basement, I figured out her "maxes" at school were with some really bad form. Worked with her over the past 3ish weeks on that and today was her first meet. Heck, it was the first meet I'd ever been too so I wasn't a lot of help in preparing her for what to expect.

She missed her first squat because she just picked it up and went. No waiting for commands. Hit her second squat at 187lbs. Tried for a national record on her final squat at 230, but failed.

Benched 99lbs for her opener, broke the national record with 120 on her second and tried 127 and failed her 3rd.

Opened deadlift with 185 and got it. Got 225 her second lift and finished with a successful 245. She's only really deadlifted the past 2 1/2 weeks and the national record is 275.

Her total of 552lbs is only 50lbs short of the national overall record for her age and weight class. Her birthday is in May, so the goal is to be able to put all 4 records pretty high up there by the March meet.

My avatar is me and her after the meet. 1 national record, 4 state records (saw there were no records for her age and weight). Very proud of her, not so much because she did great, but more for having the courage to do something her classmates still see as "weird" for a teenage girl. She told me during the meet that she thinks she found "her thing".
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Teetime, general maximus, OSUBucks and net like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:02 pm

PS- Delta's son is a freaking beast. Dude is a brick shit house.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:16 pm

Head Idiot wrote:

So, took my daughter to her first powerlifting meet today. After getting her in the basement, I figured out her "maxes" at school were with some really bad form. Worked with her over the past 3ish weeks on that and today was her first meet. Heck, it was the first meet I'd ever been too so I wasn't a lot of help in preparing her for what to expect.

She missed her first squat because she just picked it up and went. No waiting for commands. Hit her second squat at 187lbs. Tried for a national record on her final squat at 230, but failed.

Benched 99lbs for her opener, broke the national record with 120 on her second and tried 127 and failed her 3rd.

Opened deadlift with 185 and got it. Got 225 her second lift and finished with a successful 245. She's only really deadlifted the past 2 1/2 weeks and the national record is 275.

Her total of 552lbs is only 50lbs short of the national overall record for her age and weight class. Her birthday is in May, so the goal is to be able to put all 4 records pretty high up there by the March meet.

My avatar is me and her after the meet. 1 national record, 4 state records (saw there were no records for her age and weight). Very proud of her, not so much because she did great, but more for having the courage to do something her classmates still see as "weird" for a teenage girl. She told me during the meet that she thinks she found "her thing".

Wow, congrats to your daughter HI, that's one hell of a job!
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:23 am

Great work by both kids.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:06 pm

We're really proud of her. She's super excited about it too.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next