Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home gym equipment must-haves

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Home gym equipment must-haves - Page 3 Empty Re: Home gym equipment must-haves

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:17 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:Went to Rogue's website today and for their regular, black iron plates it says "Notify when available" for certain weights, but allowed you to put in a number for pairs of 10s, 25s and 45s. So I put in 2, 1 and 2 respectively.

Only when you go to see your cart do they let you know the 25s and 45s are out of stock. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Should of stopped in Clifton Im sure we got some plates for ya
If you have something you want to get rid of, I'll be up whenever you need me to be. As long as it's not 11pm-7am Fri-Tue. Very Happy

And I'm serious. Yesterday I weighed the pros and cons of driving to Iowa City for some 45s.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:18 pm

Today, Rogue only has 25lb plates available. Question Question
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:41 pm

Looks like this equipment manufacturer is taking pre-orders on weights.

https://www.greatlakesgirya.com/products/45lb-cast-iron-plates-pair
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:28 pm

On today's episode of The New Yankee Workshop-
Home gym equipment must-haves - Page 3 20200612
Home gym equipment must-haves - Page 3 20200611

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:29 am

Picked up 255lbs for $315 today from a coworker. Her brother in law was selling a bench and weight and separated the weight from it. Came out of nowhere, but I'm excited. Delivered it this morning. Now to go lift.
Home gym equipment must-haves - Page 3 20200610
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

wolverine55 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:09 am

Delta- any favorite bar you use or want? I have one, but it's pretty low end. Maybe thinking Christmas money.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:13 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Delta- any favorite bar you use or want? I have one, but it's pretty low end. Maybe thinking Christmas money.

Yes.

If you aren't doing Oly movements, the best general-purpose bar on the market is the Texas Power Bar from Texas Strength Systems. Deep and aggressive knurling and very low whip. It's excellent for pressing and squatting. I don't like dead lifting or doing Olys with it because it has virtually no whip and the knurling is tough on your hands. It's extremely rigid (that's what she said!) and won't flex under heavy load. You can dead lift with a Texas Power Bar but it will tear your hands up pretty good.

Another good, all-around barbell is the Rogue Echo 2.0. It's a budget barbell but still a Rogue and performs well. I bought 5 of them for our weight room last year and the kids love them for Oly lifts. Also good for squats, presses, pulls, and dead lifts.

If you are REALLY into deadlifting, check out a Texas Deadlift Bar (also from Texas Strength Systems). It's the best deadlift bar on the market. Once you have pulled with a Texas Deadlift Bar, you will never want to use a conventional bar again. The TDB has a 27mm shaft so it is much easier to grip, the bar is almost 8' long, and has tremendous whip. Under heavy loads, the bar will flex over an inch before the weight breaks from the floor. You will pull huge dead lifts with a TDB.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:04 pm

Delta- you ever mess around with a reverse hyper?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:24 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Delta- you ever mess around with a reverse hyper?

Yes. Incredible piece of equipment. If I had $3,000, I would buy one from Westside Barbell.

It's definitely a luxury. I have a whole bunch of stuff I need instead but. long term, I would love to have one.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:15 pm

Saw this today and didn't know if they were worthwhile. If I do make it, it'll probably be more toward fall. I don't really like being in the garage when it's 95 and humid as crap.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:08 am

Head Idiot wrote:Saw this today and didn't know if they were worthwhile. If I do make it, it'll probably be more toward fall. I don't really like being in the garage when it's 95 and humid as crap.

That is incredible. I have nowhere near the skill or patience to build something like that. Very Happy
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:03 am

Cool series out on garage gym tours. Watched the Jim Wendler one recently. Can’t afford any of this stuff but amazing to see.

https://youtu.be/r4X371YHgJs

All you need is someone to anonymously send you really expensive equipment now like they did with Wendler.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:56 am

I don't get the whole "influencer" thing, but increasingly I don't understand a lot about the world.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:07 am

center wrote:Cool series out on garage gym tours. Watched the Jim Wendler one recently. Can’t afford any of this stuff but amazing to see.

https://youtu.be/r4X371YHgJs

All you need is someone to anonymously send you really expensive equipment now like they did with Wendler.

I saw this a couple weeks ago and thought the same thing.

What I found the most shocking was the rust on some of his barbells! Very Happy

I'm a huge "5-3-1" fan. I have all the books and am a forum member. I've been running 5-3-1 off and on for almost 10 years but have really got into it since the shutdown. I'm the strongest I have been in years. Great program!
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:09 pm

Head Idiot wrote:I don't get the whole "influencer" thing, but increasingly I don't understand a lot about the world.

I have no clue what an influencer is.

I really like 5/3/1 also and program 1-2 lifts at a time with it. Wendler “gets it” as far as training and now coaching. It sounds like he has really made a difference with the London OH team.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:38 pm

center wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:I don't get the whole "influencer" thing, but increasingly I don't understand a lot about the world.

I have no clue what an influencer is.

I really like 5/3/1 also and program 1-2 lifts at a time with it. Wendler “gets it” as far as training and now coaching. It sounds like he has really made a difference with the London OH team.

I run pretty much the "classic" version from "Beyond 5-3-1". I've barely scratched the surface of "5-3-1 Forever". But, I've made such great gains with what I'm doing that I'm not going to change it up. I started working in Joker sets about two months ago. I was basically building the workout around them and was even capping my PR sets at 10 reps. But I realized I was leaving too many reps in the tank. I'm at a point now where I get fired up for that PR set, even more so than the Joker sets. Weight lifted x reps x .0333 + weight lifted is my religion! Laughing

As far as accessories, I just pick 2-3 extra movements and try and get 50-100 reps on each. I break the reps down based on how I'm feeling. The other thing I did is buy some bands from EliteFTS. I do 10-20 reps of band pull-aparts or face pulls after every set of pressing so I'm getting a huge volume of upper back work.

What I DON'T do, and I know I'm missing out, is any kind of a warmup. I HATE that crap, even though I know I should be doing it. Laughing
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:01 pm

I also subscribe to the "You never see a cheetah stretch before killing a gazelle" theory.

I do have a pcv pipe to "stretch" my shoulders and such before lifting upper body. It seems to have the effect of popping crap back in place more than stretching.

I'm very unscientific lifting wise. If it's easy, do more. If you can't do it, lift less.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:31 pm

The old power lifters are big on the warm up routines. But their bodies are so messed up they need them. A lot of then admit they totally neglected any mobility for years.

What is amazing is how few power lifters have been traditional athletes of any kind. Few have ever been part of a team sport in their lives. There is a video of Wendler giving a seminar to a group of monsters and not one of them played football in high school.

Powerlifting seems to be a sport for naturally strong people who used the weights as a way to get their anger out.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:49 pm

center wrote:The old power lifters are big on the warm up routines. But their bodies are so messed up they need them. A lot of then admit they totally neglected any mobility for years.

What is amazing is how few power lifters have been traditional athletes of any kind. Few have ever been part of a team sport in their lives. There is a video of Wendler giving a seminar to a group of monsters and not one of them played football in high school.

Powerlifting seems to be a sport for naturally strong people who used the weights as a way to get their anger out.
I don't know that any of the big time weight (at least in amount of time spent in the gym, we don't have any big weight movers) lifters/bodybuilder types at the prison were athletes.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 pm

center wrote:The old power lifters are big on the warm up routines. But their bodies are so messed up they need them. A lot of then admit they totally neglected any mobility for years.

Powerlifting is interesting. There is a fierce libertarian streak in the sport and a lot of powerlifters tend to be misfits and weirdos. If you have ever been to a meet, you will notice this within the first 10 minutes of walking in the venue.  Laughing

But there are also a lot of really smart people. We know a female competitor who is ranked in the top 20 in the world. She is a college science professor. Another guy we know holds Master's world records in the bench press and he is an electrical engineer with a PhD who owns his own company.

We have been around the sport for about 5 years. Most of the people we have met through powerlifting have tried traditional sports like football but didn't like it. They didn't function well in that environment and they often hated the training the football coaches made them do in the weight room.

I highly recommend viewing "Westside vs. the World". I think it does a great job of showing what motivates the top guys in the sport.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:57 pm

I agree with the Westside video. It’s very revealing.

I will say the Power lifters I listen to are some of the most intelligent, well spoken, athletes I have heard.

Crazy yes. But humble. And very in tune with reality.

They are also some of the most patient of all athletes and lifters. They think in terms of months and years. Not days.

Also they have a lot greater understanding that what happens outside the weight room is more important than inside.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:42 pm

I might have Cat Scratch Fever...I just got approved to take the RPR Level 1 Online course. It's the gateway drug before you become a full-on Cat Feeder... Laughing

19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Just found a 200lbs set of dumbbells on Walmart.com for about $350 w/free shipping. Nothing fancy, but they will be a great addition to the Quarantine Compound.

I would have really liked to buy the Bowflex 1090 SelectTechs but I can't find them in stock anywhere.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:22 pm

Home gym equipment must-haves - Page 3 20200910
Made a couple deadlift boxes today. Took about an hour and I used scraps left over from various other projects. The plywood top i found last night in someone's garbage pile out by the curb.

After 1 set, I can tell you it's been a really long time since I deadlifted (about 2 years).
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:06 pm

19delta wrote:Just found a 200lbs set of dumbbells on Walmart.com for about $350 w/free shipping. Nothing fancy, but they will be a great addition to the Quarantine Compound.

I would have really liked to buy the Bowflex 1090 SelectTechs but I can't find them in stock anywhere.

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m17093508817/?gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2016172701&utm_content=t0&adgroup=71090941346&network=g&device=c&merchant_id=126358573&product_id=m17093508817&product_id=529453872125&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqae019fL6wIVE77ACh1w2w26EAQYBCABEgLobvD_BwE
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum