Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you guys know any D3 coaches...

+6
OldTitan
crusader
ramblinman
Teetime
net
19delta
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

If you guys know any D3 coaches... - Page 2 Empty Re: If you guys know any D3 coaches...

Post by Head Idiot Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:43 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:I absolutely love that your son can keep his butt on the bench when lifting.  I can't stand seeing kids (and adults) who "bench" with their butt 10" up in the air.  Disciplined form = better results.  Awesome job.

19delta wrote:
SIFBCoach7 wrote:I absolutely love that your son can keep his butt on the bench when lifting.  I can't stand seeing kids (and adults) who "bench" with their butt 10" up in the air.  Disciplined form = better results.  Awesome job.

Yep. It's a big issue with many of our kids. They literally power clean the weight off their chest. Not a bench press when that happens.

Powerlifting rules for bench: Feet have to remain in contact with the floor and can't move from the initial position. Buttocks must remain in contact with the bench. Bar must come to a complete stop before a "Press" command is given.

Guys whose butt comes way off the bench...you can easily subtract 15-20 pounds off what they say they bench.
Agreed. I hate the back arch bench.

I tried it once to see what it was like. I pulled a lumbar trying it.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

If you guys know any D3 coaches... - Page 2 Empty Re: If you guys know any D3 coaches...

Post by 19delta Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Well...there does need to be a slight arch. Shoulders and butt only should be on bench but certainly you don't want this:
If you guys know any D3 coaches... - Page 2 Fake-Strength-Stop-Arching-the-Bench-Press
With that being said, it is a legal technique in virtually all powerlifting federations as it is within the rules. I don't have any problems with the technique being used in a powerlifting meet because the object is to lift the most weight.

My biggest gripe is kids whose hips come way off the bench on the concentric contraction. The bar comes down and then they catapult the bar up with their hips. Maybe that is a decline press but certainly not a legit bench press.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2