Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus II

+18
HHSTigerFan2
oldmanpfoot
OSUBucks
ging
OldTitan
newcom
center
Pike Bishop
tps
lefty120
wolverine55
Teetime
BirdWatcher
dusty7
ramblinman
net
Head Idiot
19delta
22 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Coronavirus II - Page 2 Empty Re: Coronavirus II

Post by Head Idiot Sun May 24, 2020 5:43 pm

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:Just read they're delaying the new Bond movie because of the virus.

The college basketball players association has asked that March Madness be played without fans in the arena.

100,000 deaths worldwide in 5 months. No fear mongering here...

This was the 5th post in this thread.  It was posted on March 4th.

Someone really UNDERESTIMATED how long it would take to reach 100,000 deaths. The fear mongering fool missed it by two months.
Well, it started in September, so...

Besides, as I said in another post and delta has said many times, that death number is greatly inflated. Especially here in the US. In this article is a 90 year old man who "died" from "COVID". He had it, had been quarantined and had been released from the quarantine. Then, he died. You know, like 90 year olds are want to do. COVID death.

https://herald-review.com/news/local/macon-county-reports-18th-death-of-a-resident-with-covid-19/article_e6fa79a4-60c2-596c-825f-c496de23004c.html#tracking-source=home-trending

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun May 24, 2020 6:25 pm

Since this all began, there has been a paper taped to the entrance of the prison asking several things such as- do you have symptoms (list of symptoms), have you traveled recently to China, Italy, IRAN (what American travels leisurely to Iran?), etc. Now, after 2 months, the nurses are required to read these point by point. I did say I'd been to Lowe's.

In reality though, you're more at risk traveling to Chicago at this point than Italy, Iran or China.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun May 24, 2020 6:40 pm

I can't help but wonder how things are going to be in the US for the foreseeable future. In a ten year period from 2009-2019 the US created 22 million jobs. Now we've lost 30 million jobs in less than 3 months. As we start opening up I don't think that we are going to see full restaurants or movie theaters etc., at least until people are convinced that the virus is gone.
What's going to happen when unemployment benefits expire for millions of people? Larry Kudlow implied today that he didn't think extending those benefits was a good idea. His thinking is that folks not working will be reluctant to go back to work a long as they're getting unemployment. States are going to run big deficits and will depend on Federal help. I'm not sure how much Federal help will be forthcoming soon as there seems to be disagreements on what to prioritize between the Senate and House.
Food banks are having trouble keeping up now and food riots in the future doesn't seem that farfetched. I could see the country limping along for quite some time. I hope I'm way off base here.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun May 24, 2020 7:34 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:Just read they're delaying the new Bond movie because of the virus.

The college basketball players association has asked that March Madness be played without fans in the arena.

Someone really UNDERESTIMATED how long it would take to reach 100,000 deaths. The fear mongering fool missed it by two months.

Besides, as I said in another post and delta has said many times, that death number is greatly inflated. Especially here in the US.

I know you and Delt are really on top of the death count and obviously know more about it than the people keeping count. Dr. Fauci says it’s really an understated number. I don’t know which message board he gets his info from.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun May 24, 2020 7:45 pm

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:

Besides, as I said in another post and delta has said many times, that death number is greatly inflated. Especially here in the US.

I know you and Delt are really on top of the death count and obviously know more about it than the people keeping count. Dr. Fauci says it’s really an understated number. I don’t know which message board he gets his info from.

I can't say for sure if it's undercounted or overcounted. There are people on both sides of that argument and I haven't bothered to research it myself. I am a fan of Dr Fauci. He said over a month ago that we have a lot to learn about the virus and that was one of many wise statements I've heard from him. The last time he made a statement on the US death toll he said that he thought it would max out around 60k. Even Dr Fauci isn't infallible.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun May 24, 2020 7:54 pm

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:

Well shit. Dr Fauci said it. Can't possibly be wrong.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun May 24, 2020 8:04 pm

This is from a Jan. 21 interview with Newsmax:

Host: “Bottom line, we don’t have to worry about this one, right?”

Fauci: “Well, you know, obviously, you need to take it seriously and do the kinds of things that the CDC and the Department of Homeland Security are doing. But this is not a major threat (emphasis added) for the people of the United States, and this is not something that the citizens of the United States right now should be worried about.”
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun May 24, 2020 8:48 pm

Two months later he was saying something very different. He learned.

You were still on the “overhyped” band wagon. You hadn’t learned. It was 100,000 deaths Worldwide that you were mocking in that March 4 post. In three months the worldwide death total is over 346,000.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun May 24, 2020 10:09 pm

346,000 deaths sounds bad. There are 7.8 billion of us on the planet though. We've lost 0.00004% of our people. When you put it in that context it doesn't sound as bad. The Spanish flu killed 50 million and infected 500 million which was about a third of the global population at that time. Today I can't see our species surviving something like that given the damage COVID19, which pales in comparison, has done to our economy.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun May 24, 2020 10:41 pm

OSUBucks wrote:346,000 deaths sounds bad. There are 7.8 billion of us on the planet though. We've lost 0.00004% of our people. When you put it in that context it doesn't sound as bad. The Spanish flu killed 50 million and infected 500 million which was about a third of the global population at that time. Today I can't see our species surviving something like that given the damage COVID19, which pales in comparison, has done to our economy.
Shhh. It's horrible. Don't question it.

PS- it's still overhyped.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Mon May 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Head Idiot wrote:In reality though, you're more at risk traveling to Chicago at this point than Italy, Iran or China.

True, corona or no....

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon May 25, 2020 1:12 pm

OSUBucks wrote:346,000 deaths sounds bad. There are 7.8 billion of us on the planet though. We've lost 0.00004% of our people. When you put it in that context it doesn't sound as bad. The Spanish flu killed 50 million and infected 500 million which was about a third of the global population at that time. Today I can't see our species surviving something like that given the damage COVID19, which pales in comparison, has done to our economy.

I agree.....that does sound bad. I'll also agree that if you divide 346,000 by 7.8 billion you get .00004435897. But you can't just throw a percentage sign on there without moving the decimal two places, so I disagree that 0.00004% of people have died. As a percentage that would be .0044%. That is 100 times more than .00004%.

I also think our species is a lot like cockroaches. If two thirds of us were left, we would be OK.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon May 25, 2020 1:50 pm

Correct, you're the accountant so you would know. I guess it would be 4 one thousandth of one percent. That's an extremely small number. More than 99.9% of us will survive this but what we've done to our economy will take years to fix. Honestly I doubt if it ever gets fixed. I don't see how the Federal government ever gets out of debt. Just paying the interest serving the debt is a huge number. More baby boomers retiring soon and the ratio of workers to retirees will only get worse.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Mon May 25, 2020 3:56 pm

10 Day Numbers

5/25 Numbers: (Change Using 5/15 as a Base)
Illinois:
Total New Cases -1,713 (-719)
Total New Deaths - 28 (-102)
Positivity Rate - 1,7132/21,643 - 7.91% (-1.24%)
New Infection Per Capita -1,713/12,500,000 - .014% (-.007%)
New Infection 7 Day Average - 2,244 (-498)
1,025 of 3,709 ICU Beds In Use - 27.64% (-2.86%)
605 of 5,728 Vents in Use - 10.56 (-2.59)

Wisconsin:
Total New Cases - 307 (-103)
Total New Deaths - 4 (-7)
Positivity Rate - 307/7,173 - 4.28% (-2.49%)
New Infection Per Capita - 307/5,822,200 - .00053%
New Infection 7 Day Average - 414 (+115)
121 of 1,395 ICU Bed in Use - 8.67% (-1.34%)
306 of 1,275 Vents in Use - 24% (-1.845)

Once again, no significant changes other than the increase in the 7 day average for Wisconsin, but even with the increase, the amount of death has not changed. Once again, I will reiterate that this is most likely the new normal. Also, Illinois has been testing close to the same amount of people on a daily basis and still positivity rate has remained fairly constant.

Over the past few days there has been quite a change in the message from the media. Europe nor China has experienced a 2nd wave which bodes well for the US not seeing a 2nd wave after opening. My guess is by the end of June, the narrative for many of the politicians will suddenly change as average numbers level off or start to drop.

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Mon May 25, 2020 4:08 pm

I honestly don't remember if I posted this or not, but in case I didn't: baseball and softball are summer sports in Iowa and they have been given the go ahead to start practice June 1st and games June 15th. Offseason workouts for other sports though have to wait until July 1st "at least".
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon May 25, 2020 4:29 pm

wolverine55 wrote:I honestly don't remember if I posted this or not, but in case I didn't:  baseball and softball are summer sports in Iowa and they have been given the go ahead to start practice June 1st and games June 15th.  Offseason workouts for other sports though have to wait until July 1st "at least".

That is encouraging. I hope Illinois follows suit soon. We are finally getting some warm weather here and I'm pretty hopeful that the virus will be mostly gone soon and we can have some live sports!
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Mon May 25, 2020 5:15 pm

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Mon May 25, 2020 5:32 pm

The comment section of that article is a particularly enlightening look at intellectualism.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon May 25, 2020 6:02 pm

Well that's one way not to lose to OSU this year. Wink
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Tue May 26, 2020 8:15 am

OSUBucks wrote:
wolverine55 wrote:I honestly don't remember if I posted this or not, but in case I didn't:  baseball and softball are summer sports in Iowa and they have been given the go ahead to start practice June 1st and games June 15th.  Offseason workouts for other sports though have to wait until July 1st "at least".

That is encouraging. I hope Illinois follows suit soon. We are finally getting some warm weather here and I'm pretty hopeful that the virus will be mostly gone soon and we can have some live sports!

Yeah, several measures are going to be in place. Dugouts used only during games (I guess I don't know why they would need them in practice), no sunflower seeds, no concessions sold at the games, plus some to-be-announced regulations on crowd sizes and where fans sit. I've heard that through a couple activity directors that they were caught pretty off-guard by this and were expecting the seasons to be cancelled.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue May 26, 2020 8:28 am

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Tue May 26, 2020 1:55 pm

19delta wrote:
ramblinman wrote:
19delta wrote:
ramblinman wrote:Hope you are right and I am wrong.

How laughable. You absolutely hope I'm wrong and you are right.

If I am right, I will have the satisfaction of saying I told you so, but that will be a classic pyrrhic victory because we will all be in a shitload of trouble in ways that are far worse than what we are experiencing now.  If you believe I hope for us to be in a shitload of trouble, then Dbl flip

Define "shitload of trouble".

No. If I defined a shitload of trouble as twice as worse as what we have already experienced (which you characterize as an "economic apocalypse"), you would probably say that the juice would be worth the squeeze so that people could continue to cultivate their turnips without the government treading on them. If I said it would be five times as worse, you would say that I am exaggerating.

If I am right and you are wrong, just picture this:

Coronavirus II - Page 2 1918_spanish_flu_waves

ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue May 26, 2020 2:34 pm

ramblinman wrote:
19delta wrote:
ramblinman wrote:
19delta wrote:
ramblinman wrote:Hope you are right and I am wrong.

How laughable. You absolutely hope I'm wrong and you are right.

If I am right, I will have the satisfaction of saying I told you so, but that will be a classic pyrrhic victory because we will all be in a shitload of trouble in ways that are far worse than what we are experiencing now.  If you believe I hope for us to be in a shitload of trouble, then Dbl flip

Define "shitload of trouble".

No.  If I defined a shitload of trouble as twice as worse as what we have already experienced (which you characterize as an "economic apocalypse"), you would probably say that the juice would be worth the squeeze so that people could continue to cultivate their turnips without the government treading on them.  If I said it would be five times as worse, you would say that I am exaggerating.  

If I am right and you are wrong, just picture this:

Coronavirus II - Page 2 1918_spanish_flu_waves

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!! Laughing

So, for you to be right, the second wave of Covid-19 will need to have a 1% fatality rate. Got it.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Tue May 26, 2020 3:43 pm

1178 new cases and 39 deaths for Illinois.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Tue May 26, 2020 3:54 pm

19delta wrote:So, for you to be right, the second wave of Covid-19 will need to have a 1% fatality rate. Got it.

Isn't the fatality rate the number of deaths over the number of infected? That looks like 1% of all people, infected or not?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next