Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus I

+18
gagliardisports247
Dawgdad
dusty7
wolverine55
mc140
19delta
4a(6afornet)north
lefty120
HHSTigerFan2
Pike Bishop
BirdWatcher
net
OldTitan
Teetime
ging
newcom
OSUBucks
Head Idiot
22 posters

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Coronavirus I - Page 27 Empty Re: Coronavirus I

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:29 am

dusty7 wrote:
I guess the Governors wife headed down to their $12 million estate in Florida and the Governor got quite defensive saying his family is not a part of politics and it should not even be brought up.  I thought it was a valid point, all Illinois citizens should abide by these rules correct?  Isn’t she an Illinois citizen?  Guess if you have money rules don’t apply, to bad for all those people who wish they had jobs right now and could leave and never come back.
How dare you question the King, peasant!

You thought King Toilet thought rules applied to him? INSOLENCE!
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:08 am

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:10 am

Head Idiot wrote:
lefty120 wrote:
wolverine55 wrote:
dusty7 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
net wrote:
mc140 wrote:What if there is never a vaccine or one that has a very low success rate?

thank you debbie downer.
He has a point though. We can't hide forever.

Or can we?  As long as the government keeps providing bailout money and incentivizing not working, we can keep this up for a long time.

I understand that people need help and I also realize that I'm fortunate in that I'm getting my full teaching salary despite working maybe two hours a day on school stuff right now.  But, it is insane how much money people are getting.  My girlfriend's nephew quit his job and is getting so much unemployment he's "making" about $400 more a month than I am right now and her brother, who hasn't been working for years so it's not Coronavirus related, is getting about the same in monthly benefits that I make.

Problems with the system...coronavirus or not!
Except he wouldn't be making that much if it weren't for the $600 a month tacked on my the feds during the rona panic.

I told him to look into this, but he says he is getting it all the way through June of 2021. Fortunately, I haven't had to look into unemployment, but that seems like a very long time to be getting that extra money.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:18 am

Mike Pence, not Mrs. Pence, didn't care for the Mayo clinic rule that everyone had to wear a mask...so he ignored it. The hell with the people in there he might make sick.

I'm not sure if his wife was on that trip or if she wore a mask. That was unreported.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:19 am

The Trump/Pritzker feud runs much deeper than politics-

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1993-07-29-9308040170-story.html

Wikipedia wrote: In 1993, Donald Trump sued Jay Pritzker, a Chicago financier and Trump's business partner since 1979 on the Grand Hyatt hotel. Trump alleged that Pritzker overstated earnings in order to collect excessive management fees.[31] In 1994, Pritzker sued Trump for violating their agreement by, among other ways, failing to remain solvent. The two parties ended the feud in 1995 in a sealed settlement, in which Trump retained some control of the hotel and Pritzker would receive reduced management fees and pay Trump's legal expenses.[
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:34 am

wolverine55 wrote:
I told him to look into this, but he says he is getting it all the way through June of 2021.  Fortunately, I haven't had to look into unemployment, but that seems like a very long time to be getting that extra money.
He would be wrong. I assume. This is from the state and of course the date for ending the program is 18 years in the past.
Fine State of Illinois wrote: Individuals receiving unemployment benefits beginning the week of March 29, 2020, will receive
an additional $600 each week above what they would receive in regular unemployment benefits
until the week ending on July 25, 2002.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:44 am

Teetime wrote:Mike Pence, not Mrs. Pence, didn't care for the Mayo clinic rule that everyone had to wear a mask...so he ignored it. The hell with the people in there he might make sick.

I'm not sure if his wife was on that trip or if she wore a mask. That was unreported.
The difference in the two? If you Google Mike Pence mask, reports slamming him are abound. NBC, CNN, MSNBC, late night hosts, other celebrities. It's huge news. Google Pritzker wife Florida and outside three local stations like KHQA, the only people reporting the story are small conservative websites.

Is the Gov of Illinois equal politically to the VP? Probably not, but for the 2nd most vocal Dem governor during this crisis (maybe 3rd after Cali) you'd expect maybe a mention on the big sites if there were any journalistic integrity whatsoever in them.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:48 am

Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:Mike Pence, not Mrs. Pence, didn't care for the Mayo clinic rule that everyone had to wear a mask...so he ignored it. The hell with the people in there he might make sick.

The difference in the two? If you Google Mike Pence mask, reports slamming him are abound. NBC, CNN, MSNBC, late night hosts, other celebrities. It's huge news. Google Pritzker wife Florida and outside three local stations like KHQA, the only people reporting the story are small conservative websites.

Is the Gov of Illinois equal politically to the VP? Probably not, but for the 2nd most vocal Dem governor during this crisis (maybe 3rd after Cali) you'd expect maybe a mention on the big sites if there were any journalistic integrity whatsoever in them.

She is also hanging out in a state with much less restrictions than here.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:51 am

dusty7 wrote:I do not think there will be fall or winter sports next season.  Can’t imagine how this may impact athletic budgets losing revenue from football and basketball not to mention the extreme negative impact on the kids  and potential athletic future.  High school sports are already struggling enough and this may be the first nail in the coffin towards kids only playing in travel clubs.  

Hearing that alternate days for students and hybrid learning through Xmas is a possibility for areas where there are still high numbers of positive tests.

I wonder how Private schools are going to deal with an extension of e learning mandate.  Will parents still pay full tuition for e learning?  Many privates are struggling as is and I’m am sure this situation doesn’t help.

The decline in state revenue will inevitably lead to state cuts across the board in the 2021 fiscal year and we all know education is always the first to go.

I guess the Governors wife headed down to their $12 million estate in Florida and the Governor got quite defensive saying his family is not a part of politics and it should not even be brought up.  I thought it was a valid point, all Illinois citizens should abide by these rules correct?  Isn’t she an Illinois citizen?  Guess if you have money rules don’t apply, to bad for all those people who wish they had jobs right now and could leave and never come back.

Not having high school sports does not help travel ball when there is also no travel ball. What could hurt this state is if schools open in surrounding states and play sports.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:53 am

mc140 wrote:
She is also hanging out in a state with much less restrictions than here.
From Tuesday's press conference-
JB wrote: “Slowing the spread of this virus is critical to saving lives by ensuring our healthcare system has the resources to treat patients who get sick. And we will not stop this virus, if because of this ruling, any resident can petition to be exempted from aspects of the orders that rely on collective action to keep us all safe,” Pritzker said.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:18 pm

wolverine55 wrote:

I told him to look into this, but he says he is getting it all the way through June of 2021.  Fortunately, I haven't had to look into unemployment, but that seems like a very long time to be getting that extra money.

this (unemployment office) is my realm, sort of.

HI is correct, the added $600 per week in unemployment benefits is only through the end of July. that was the original plan at least and as far as i know it hasn't changed.

and, typically unemployment benefits last for 26 weeks but i believe a 13 week extension has been tacked on due to covid19.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Very spirited discussion here...enjoying reading all the different view points, even the one's I do not necessarily agree with.  Thank you HI for sharing that Trib article.  I was unaware of any business dealings between the two.  After reading, my feeling isn't really changed.  Neither one of them are real great.  My wife and I just had a family friend pass away at the Mayo Clinic 2 days before Pence visited.  She was 38 and had many health issues, none related to Covid.  Her family could not be with her or visit her while she passed.  Terrible situation.  I agree, the Governor's wife visiting FL right now is horrible, and should be publicized more.  No question.  But for anyone to continue to try to separate politicians simply due to their political party affiliation, which seems to be happening more and more, is ridiculous.  None of them are any good!

A couple thoughts on that:  1.  How can people talk about Trump and Pritzker, saying Trump is somehow better, when they were A. business associates, and B.  they're suing each other.  They both are crooks!  Quit saying one is better than the other!  2.  It's hard for me to continue to listen to people in Central and Southern Illinois clamor about 'Chicago Democrats'.  It drives me crazy when I bike ride or jog past run down trailers with a pick up truck that's been in the front yard for 3 years with no front wheels, and they fly a Trump / Pence flag...are you kidding me?  Those people down here are a dime a dozen.  Do they think Trump is going to do things to help them?  No!  They hate Democrats and Chicago, not realizing or admitting Trump has made so much money off of the same political machine they hate in Chicago it's ridiculous.  And he continues to.  Ignorance...plain and simple.  Sorry, I'm fired up!! Smile

I guess this is all politics in our current day and age...picking the lesser of two evils.  Regardless of which way you vote in November, just know they both suck...it's just a matter of you rolling the dice on which one is going to suck just a little bit less.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Trump is better, IMO, because he has yet to personally or politically reach into my pocket for money. Pritzker has already dipped into it, and has plans to further dip into it. Trump has also not proposed, or favored any plans to limit my personal freedoms. JB has. They're both scumbags, but that's the difference for me.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:29 pm

Fair enough! Is it a fair statement that Pritzker has done what he has financially due in part to incompetence by so many Governors before him? As for the personal freedom idea, I can understand where you're coming from. I personally do not feel the same, but I do understand where you're coming from.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:51 pm

dusty7 wrote:Saw a story similar to this Sweden's Approach to Coroniavirus last night.  It is very interesting how this has worked in Sweden, although there are several variables that make this approach look successful when in fact it may not be, the responsibility is put on the people, not on the government.  

The Swedish Prime Minister stated that the problem with closing everything and locking down is how do you open everything back up?  That creates another challenge that is really difficult to solve, which I thought this was a very interesting remark given the challenges we are seeing the US defining essential and non-essential.  

The three closest countries to Sweden are Norway, Finland and Denmark.  The following are all four countries' COVID19 related deaths per 1 million people of population as of today's date:

Finland - 37.18
Norway - 37.26
Denmark - 76.48
Sweden -243.78

Very interesting indeed how this is working (and not working) in Sweden.

Last edited by ramblinman on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:57 pm

Head Idiot wrote:

Neither does Pritzker's family member traveling to Florida equate to the head of the President's virus task force not wearing a mask in a healthcare institution when everyone else around him was wearing a mask and when it is the policy of the healthcare institution that everyone must wear a mask.  The optics were horrible.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:15 pm

Head Idiot wrote:

There is a much, much bigger difference.

One is THE WIFE of the Governor of Illinois, the other is THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Both thumbed their noses at the restrictions (that did not have the weight of law).

Do you see that difference now?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:29 pm

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

There is a much, much bigger difference.

One is THE WIFE of the Governor of Illinois, the other is THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Both thumbed their noses at the restrictions (that did not have the weight of law).

Do you see that difference now?

Actually, I think Pence didn't wear a mask because he was afraid of making Trump look bad since Trump has already said he will not wear a mask. IMO, this is even worse than simply thinking the rules do not apply to him.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Head Idiot wrote: Trump has also not proposed, or favored any plans to limit my personal freedoms.

You don't remember a month ago?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/03.16.20_coronavirus-guidance_8.5x11_315PM.pdf

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:48 pm

OSUBucks wrote:Dr Fauci doesn't seem optimistic about sports in the fall. I was a bit surprised when I learned that we not only don't have accurate test kits available but many people who want to get tested can't get tested. To say that the US wasn't equipped to handle this Pandemic is an understatement.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/anthony-fauci-sports-might-not-happen-this-year/

And, it goes across several administrations. I read a while ago that the CDC or the WHO--not sure which right off the top of my head--has been saying for at least 15 years the U.S. was not ready for a pandemic. Tried to find the article, but locating a single piece given everything that's been published on coronavirus is almost literally trying to find a needle in a haystack at this point.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:21 pm

wolverine55 wrote:And, it goes across several administrations.  I read a while ago that the CDC or the WHO--not sure which right off the top of my head--has been saying for at least 15 years the U.S. was not ready for a pandemic.  Tried to find the article, but locating a single piece given everything that's been published on coronavirus is almost literally trying to find a needle in a haystack at this point.

Was this it?

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/11/america-two-decade-failure-prepare-coronavirus-179574

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:24 pm

I can't say I recall the first two paragraphs being written in that manner, but it very well may be the one I'm referring to.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:46 pm

Over 2500 new cases and 140 deaths today in Illinois. While NYC is beyond their apex we haven't yet but I think we're getting close. I think we should open back up in June but I'm not sure if it will be the first of the month. The extended weather forecast for May is below average temperatures. We can't seem to catch a break.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:15 pm

On a COVID positive note, the city of Jamestown TN is having a parade for the residents trapped inside the nursing home. You may remember that we play(ed) music every Tuesday night at the nursing home for many years, but have been locked out since well before the state lockdown. So, Mrs BW & I (and a few of our neigh-bors) will be dragging our horses to town to prance them around the streets outside the facility. I might even bring a guitar and play while on horseback.. although I doubt they'll be able to hear behind the glass panels....

Once the pandemic is winding down I don't think I'll be going back to play music there very soon. Alot of the players are locals and many (most) rarely (if ever) leave our county. But I travel alot, and so the chances of my bringing something back to Fentress County are alot greater.

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:32 pm

BirdWatcher wrote:On a COVID positive note, the city of Jamestown TN is having a parade for the residents trapped inside the nursing home.  You may remember that we play(ed) music every Tuesday night at the nursing home for many years, but have been locked out since well before the state lockdown.    So, Mrs BW & I (and a few of our neigh-bors) will be dragging our horses to town to prance them around the streets outside the facility.   I might even bring a guitar and play while on horseback.. although I doubt they'll be able to hear behind the glass panels....

Once the pandemic is winding down I don't think I'll be going back to play music there very soon.   Alot of the players are locals and many (most) rarely (if ever) leave our county.  But I travel alot, and so the chances of my bringing something back to Fentress County are alot greater.

I think you're making the right call there. Cool
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next