Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus I

+18
gagliardisports247
Dawgdad
dusty7
wolverine55
mc140
19delta
4a(6afornet)north
lefty120
HHSTigerFan2
Pike Bishop
BirdWatcher
net
OldTitan
Teetime
ging
newcom
OSUBucks
Head Idiot
22 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Coronavirus I - Page 13 Empty Re: Coronavirus I

Post by wolverine55 Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:42 pm

ESPN has almost run out of stuff to talk about, so the struggle is very real for local sports reporters. Chris Duerr from KHQA in Quincy basically stretched his basketball awards segments out to two weeks and he normally gets those done in 2-3 days.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:21 pm

CV deaths are up, but other causes down....
Coronavirus I - Page 13 Weekly10

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:02 pm

BirdWatcher wrote:CV deaths are up, but other causes down....
Coronavirus I - Page 13 Weekly10

I saw this graph a lot yesterday on social media. What is the source for the numbers in the graph?

I am wondering that if people are dying in the hospital, are they simply being counted as a coronavirus victim?

19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:28 pm

19delta wrote:

I am wondering that if people are dying in the hospital, are they simply being counted as a coronavirus victim?

just so i understand your question - are you wondering if someone dies in a hospital from heart failure or a car accident or being shot, etc are they simply being lumped in with all the covid19 deaths?  is that what you're asking? or were you referring specifically to the above graph?
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:19 pm

ging wrote:
19delta wrote:

just so i understand your question - are you wondering if someone dies in a hospital from heart failure or a car accident or being shot, etc are they simply being lumped in with all the covid19 deaths?  is that what you're asking? or were you referring specifically to the above graph?

Well, not the obvious causes like accidental or violent deaths. But I'm wondering that if someone dies of "natural causes" in the hospital, if at least some of those deaths are being attributed to Covid-19.

For example:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/us/california-coronavirus-death-child.html
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:51 pm

19delta wrote:

Well, not the obvious causes like accidental or violent deaths. But I'm wondering that if someone dies of "natural causes" in the hospital, if at least some of those deaths are being attributed to Covid-19.

accidentally? or intentionally?
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:54 pm

ging wrote:
19delta wrote:

accidentally?  or intentionally?

Both, perhaps?
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:18 pm

which begs the question - why? why would those "other" deaths be purposely lumped in with the number of covid19 deaths?
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:59 pm

I'm not sure what Delta is going for here but I could see diseases such as pneumonia or influenza being classified as Covid-19 and vice versa because of similar symptoms.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:14 pm

ging wrote:which begs the question - why?  why would those "other" deaths be purposely lumped in with the number of covid19 deaths?

I don't think it is anything nerfarious. Just the nature of a crisis.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:14 pm

OSUBucks wrote:I'm not sure what Delta is going for here but I could see diseases such as pneumonia or influenza being classified as Covid-19 and vice versa because of similar symptoms.

Yes. That's what I am saying.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:26 pm

Or pneumonia might not have killed him and CV might not have killed him, but together he couldn't survive. I think they class that as co-morbidity.

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:23 pm

19delta wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:I'm not sure what Delta is going for here but I could see diseases such as pneumonia or influenza being classified as Covid-19 and vice versa because of similar symptoms.

That’s not really what you are saying...it’s what you are asking. You are wondering out loud if the death rate is overstated, not on purpose of course, just because.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:24 am

Teetime wrote:
19delta wrote:

That’s not really what you are saying...it’s what you are asking. You are wondering out loud if the death rate is overstated, not on purpose of course, just because.

It does appear that the numbers of both reported cases and deaths is being overstated.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2020/03/29/nj-700-state-police-officers-test-positive-coronavirus/2935705001/

I am willing to allow that it is mostly accidental, but there is a long history of public officials taking advantage of a crisis to strengthen their authority or importance.

19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:46 am

19delta wrote:
Teetime wrote:
19delta wrote:

It does appear that the numbers of both reported cases and deaths is being overstated.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2020/03/29/nj-700-state-police-officers-test-positive-coronavirus/2935705001/

I am willing to allow that it is mostly accidental, but there is a long history of public officials taking advantage of a crisis to strengthen their authority or importance.

"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."- Rahm Emanuel
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:01 am

I just read this on another board, but in what could be one of the first steps in recognizing how far into the fall sports season this could stretch, Rutgers has suspended all on-campus activities until at least August 14th.

https://www.nj.com/education/2020/04/rutgers-campus-will-stay-closed-until-august-with-summer-classes-online.html
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:09 pm

This article shows how globalization sowed the seeds for disaster before we knew what was going to hit us.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/disaster-in-motion-34-million-travelers-poured-into-us-as-covid-19-pandemic-erupted/ar-BB125igw
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:15 pm

I'm convinced even here in Iowa some people had it as far back as November and December. I know several people in my town who swore they had the flu but then when they went to get tested the results came back negative.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:30 pm

wolverine55 wrote:I'm convinced even here in Iowa some people had it as far back as November and December.  I know several people in my town who swore they had the flu but then when they went to get tested the results came back negative.
My wife had something in February that caused her to pass out in the bathroom. I thought she dropped the shampoo until I went in and saw her on the floor. Had a cough, fever, some trouble breathing. Her school and the kid's school had a bug with similar symptoms sweep threw them the 2 weeks before. No one tested positive for flu in any of the cases. Some lasted as much as 2 weeks. My wife was better in a couple days.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:44 pm

wolverine55 wrote:I'm convinced even here in Iowa some people had it as far back as November and December.  I know several people in my town who swore they had the flu but then when they went to get tested the results came back negative.

I agree with this. There are a lot more people in the US that have had the virus and recovered than those who have been diagnosed. I think there's a decent chance HI's wife had it too. HI either didn't contract it himself or he was asymptomatic.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:50 pm

OSUBucks wrote:

I agree with this. There are a lot more people in the US that have had the virus and recovered than those who have been diagnosed. I think there's a decent chance HI's wife had it too. HI either didn't contract it himself or he was asymptomatic.
My son had it the week before my wife and my daughter before him. I didn't feel real well after my wife had it, but I usually don't get sick. I think I've used 1 sick day for actually being sick in the past 6 or 7 years.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:14 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:

My son had it the week before my wife and my daughter before him. I didn't feel real well after my wife had it, but I usually don't get sick. I think I've used 1 sick day for actually being sick in the past 6 or 7 years.

two comments here:

1. isn't the first known case of covid19 in the world widely known to have occurred in china in December of 2019?

2. my son, who is 20 and in very good shape, got sick in late January with an unknown respiratory illness. basically, he was short of breath and/or it hurt to breathe. no fever or anything else. he went to two different physicians but neither could determine what his ailment was. he tested negative for all of the typical illnesses. one physician thought it might be early stages of copd. the other thought maybe the early stages of asthma. after a few days it went away and he's been fine ever since.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:17 pm

Covid 19 stands for COronavirus IDentified in 2019.

I think the first cases were originally in November of 2019.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:41 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Covid 19 stands for COronavirus IDentified in 2019.

I think the first cases were originally in November of 2019.

this is correct. research shows the first known case on record was in china in November 2019.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:49 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:

I don't either and was probably on a similar streak to you...and then this semester I used three in January alone and was actually sick all three times.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next