Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Week 5 small school game

+4
OSUBucks
net
dusty7
19delta
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Big Week 5 small school game Empty Big Week 5 small school game

Post by 19delta Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:48 pm

Du-Pec (Durand-Pecatonica co-op) and Decatur St. Teresa have filled a Week 5 open date by scheduling each other this Friday. Du-Pec, currently ranked #11 in 3a, is 4-0 with wins over East Dubuque (24-eight), Forreston (28-0), Fulton (38-24), and EPC (50-eight). St. Teresa, currently ranked #1 in 2a, is also 4-0 with dominating victories against Effingham (42-7), Althoff Catholic (55-0), Cental A&M (34-0), and Meridian (68-eight).

The game will be played in Pecatonica.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Big Week 5 small school game Empty Re: Big Week 5 small school game

Post by dusty7 Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:06 pm

Good that they both found games and might be the most difficult opponent each team will meet. As much as I hate to say it, it looks like St T. is the real deal this year. Got ridiculously good athletes all over the field and most 2A schools simply don't match up with them.

I know nothing about Du Pec.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:49 am

williamsville vs maroa. pretty sure it'll be a bullets blowout.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:59 am

dusty7 wrote:Good that they both found games and might be the most difficult opponent each team will meet. As much as I hate to say it, it looks like St T. is the real deal this year.  Got ridiculously good athletes all over the field and most 2A schools simply don't match up with them.  

I know nothing about Du Pec.  

Du-Pec is a rising team in the NUIC. The biggest knock on them is they are a 3a team playing in a predominantly 1a and 2a conference. I don't think they have seen strong competition yet so the game against St. Teresa tomorrow night will give a good indication of where they are as a program.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:27 am

We've been through a gauntlet of games (Marengo, Johnsburg, Coal City, and Peotone) which are possibly the 4 of our 5 toughest games. Got a small Herscher team this week that fights their tails off. Usually there is 1 or 2 clear favorites in our conference but this year has more parity than it has had in a long time. Every week is a battle but the quality of play at the JV level is atrocious from what I have seen.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:58 am

I think St T will win this game comfortably.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:53 am

OSUBucks wrote:I think St T will win this game comfortably.

I think an IC/St. T Championship game has a 100% likelihood.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor D Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:07 pm

dusty7 wrote:

Was looking at the IHSA playoffs outlook and they have ICCP bumped up to 4A. Apparently that is a mistake though. Your Wilmington team looks like they are close to the 3A/2A bubble.
Doctor D
Doctor D
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:42 pm

dusty7 wrote:

Very well could be. Lots of football left to be played but right now IC would be my favorite to win 2A.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:50 pm

Doctor D wrote:
dusty7 wrote:

Was looking at the IHSA playoffs outlook and they have ICCP bumped up to 4A.  Apparently that is a mistake though.  Your Wilmington team looks like they are close to the 3A/2A bubble.  

Yep, on the bubble but 3A may be easier to have a playoff run than 2A because it is loaded with Privates but there are a lot of things that can change. First, we need to improve our play on the field if we want to have a chance at a playoff run at any level.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Doctor D likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:07 pm

I agree.

With that being said, I give a ton of credit to the Du-Pec coaches for scheduling this game. The easy thing would have been to take a week off. It's great to see a team willing to fill their schedule with a really tough opponent that will give them a good gauge of where they are as a relatively young program.

And I'm sure the 8 or 9 playoff points Du-Pec will get from St. Teresa will be a more than adequate consolation prize if they lose big. 😆
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

OSUBucks and dusty7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:21 am

Seeing that IC is only a few schools away from 1A. They play. 5-6-7A schedule. I wonder what are they trying to prove playing in 2A when they can obviously compete in 4 and 5A. Seems like a weak move to me. Why not accept a challenge rather than beating up on these small schools.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor D Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:52 am

dusty7 wrote:Seeing that IC is only a few schools away from 1A.  They play. 5-6-7A schedule.  I wonder what are they trying to prove playing in 2A when they can obviously compete in 4 and 5A.  Seems like a weak move to me.  Why not accept a challenge rather than beating up on these small schools.  

I don’t think many schools voluntarily petitioned up. In fact, other than East St. Louis, I’m not sure how many times it’s ever happened. I heard Loyola did this year, but that’s the only other one I’m aware of.
Doctor D
Doctor D
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:41 am

dusty7 wrote:Seeing that IC is only a few schools away from 1A.  They play. 5-6-7A schedule.  I wonder what are they trying to prove playing in 2A when they can obviously compete in 4 and 5A.  Seems like a weak move to me.  Why not accept a challenge rather than beating up on these small schools.  

For the record, ICCP does not play any 7A schools this year.  They did play a 5A school (Elmwood Park), however, and beat them by a similar margin as did 3A Reed-Custer.

A couple of years ago, didn't Wilmington beat a 6A school by 30 points?  Didn't it start the season with three large margin wins over schools in 4A, 5A, and 6A?  Did Wilmington think about petitioning to play up from 3A?  Why is not doing so not a "weak move?"  

Perhaps IC's last experience being multiplied and success factored up has something to do with wanting to stay where they are.  In 2019, as an actual size 2A school playing up in 4A, they were bounced in the quarters by a school (Richmond-Burton) with double their actual enrollment.  Would you rather lose in the quarters of a larger class or stand a greater chance of winning it all in a smaller class?  

Unlike public schools that are pretty much the default choice for 90-99% of the high school aged kids in their districts, IC has to scratch and claw to fill their desks at roughly $13K a pop.  If I were running a very small private school like IC in the middle of a pandemic, I would jump at the chance to win a title in my actual size class and gain additional notoriety.  I don't blame them one bit for not wanting to play up.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor D Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:46 am

I will reserve judgment on IC. If they win 5 playoff games by 30+ points each, I will say they were probably inappropriately classified.
Doctor D
Doctor D
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:49 am

Doctor D wrote:I will reserve judgment on IC.  If they win 5 playoff games by 30+ points each, I will say they were probably inappropriately classified.

In other words, a typical Rochester playoff run.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor D Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:55 am

ramblinman wrote:
Doctor D wrote:I will reserve judgment on IC.  If they win 5 playoff games by 30+ points each, I will say they were probably inappropriately classified.

Not exactly true. They typically have a close game or two. However, I do believe that if there is going to be a SF, it should apply to all schools.
Doctor D
Doctor D
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:24 pm

Doctor D wrote:
ramblinman wrote:

Not exactly true. They typically have a close game or two.  However, I do believe that if there is going to be a SF, it should apply to all schools.

I agree completely with this. Publics do not get to choose their students and athletes to that is why the multiplier exists. If you are going to punish the privates for success, you need to punish the publics as well.

Other than Rochester, what other public schools have won consecutive state championships for more than 3 years? I don't count LWE because they are already in the highest class or ESL because they usually petition up.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:34 pm

Doctor D wrote:
ramblinman wrote:

Not exactly true. They typically have a close game or two.  However, I do believe that if there is going to be a SF, it should apply to all schools.

Rochester's average margin of victory in their past 18 playoff wins is 26 pts. Close enough.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor D Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:49 pm

ramblinman wrote:
Doctor D wrote:
ramblinman wrote:

Rochester's average margin of victory in their past 18 playoff wins is 26 pts.  Close enough.

I don’t think avg margin of victory is all that relevant because inevitably there are lopsided scores for almost any title run. You do bring up an interesting point, though.
That Rochester 26 point avg margin of victory is almost identical to IC’s avg margin of 25 pts when they won a title in 2018. (In class 4A)
Doctor D
Doctor D
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:51 pm

dusty7 wrote:
Doctor D wrote:
ramblinman wrote:

I agree completely with this.  Publics do not get to choose their students and athletes to that is why the multiplier exists.  If you are going to punish the privates for success, you need to punish the publics as well.  

Other than Rochester, what other public schools have won consecutive state championships for more than 3 years?  I don't count LWE because they are already in the highest class or ESL because they usually petition up.

What's your point?  That Driscoll, Mt. Carmel and JCA had some extraordinary success long ago?  BFD

By the way, the multiplier exists not because private schools do not have district boundaries or because they get to "choose their students and athletes." Rolling Eyes  The multiplier exists, for private AND non-boundaried public schools, because a bunch of boundaried public schools whined and got their way due to a HANDFUL of schools like Driscoll and MC and JCA that won more than the whiners thought they should.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:11 pm

ramblinman wrote:
What's your point?  That Driscoll, Mt. Carmel and JCA had some extraordinary success long ago?  BFD

No, just curious what public schools in the past would have had the success multiplier applied to them. Other than Rochester, I can't think of any public schools that have had consecutive state championships multiple times.

I believe if you are going to apply a success factor to privates they should apply to publics as well.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:41 pm

dusty7 wrote:
ramblinman wrote:

No, just curious what public schools in the past would have had the success multiplier applied to them. Other than Rochester, I can't think of any public schools that have had consecutive state championships multiple times.

I believe if you are going to apply a success factor to privates they should apply to publics as well.  

I agree with you about the success factor being applicable across the board. I think the success factor should have been applied, instead of the multiplier, from the start. I always felt that the multiplier was intentionally punitive to private schools and was akin to solving a problem with a sledge hammer when a tweezers would have done the trick.

Certainly no public school approaches Rochester in terms of consecutive football titles. But there have been at least a few (Geneseo, Carthage, Maine South) that won three in a row.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 pm

Du-Pec takes an early 6-0 lead over St. Teresa. 7:34 1st qt.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:00 pm

DST pulling away. Up 20-6 over Du-Pec at halftime.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next