Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Practice Today

5 posters

Go down

First Practice Today Empty First Practice Today

Post by dusty7 Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:41 am

It's been a long time, over 400 days since our program had an "official" football activity. Our kids have an extra pep in their step and they are excited to get the season started. I won't be able to start practice until Saturday due to Basketball but I am definitely looking forward to getting on the field and getting started.

Our first day will be indoors but the practice field is ready for tomorrow and the game field is in great shape. Can't ask for better weather to begin the seasons. Almost feels like playoff weather!
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

First Practice Today Empty Re: First Practice Today

Post by net Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:39 am

i hate this 'no pads' crap. some teams are already 'acclimated'.

our qb left basketball so he can be ready to go game one. cs8 starts their conference basketball tournament next week.

rumor has it that the cs8 has a team in covid protocol. i hope it's just a rumor.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:44 am

net wrote:i hate this 'no pads' crap. some teams are already 'acclimated'.

our qb left basketball so he can be ready to go game one. cs8 starts their conference basketball tournament next week.

rumor has it that the cs8 has a team in covid protocol. i hope it's just a rumor.

Our conference decided to cut seasons short by 1 week so kids don't have to quit one sport early in order to play another sport
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Huck Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:50 am

I am interested in how many teams are allowing kids to quit one sport to start another.  It is an interesting dilemma, because even if you operate under the mindset of putting the athletes first, there still isn't an easy answer.  
And I am not judging what anyone does.  I am assuming most schools have a policy in place that will be followed.
I am hearing rumors of teams that may not be able to field enough players to play in later weeks due to baseball beginning and the belief that every baseball player will bolt.
How fair is it to the other players for a basketball team to suddenly be missing 3 starters?
How fair is it to the wide receivers when the qb leaves for baseball and they now have a freshman qb?
But, how fair is it to tell a kid who loves football that either he has to miss a little bit of football to finish his basketball season, or else he has to choose to not play basketball at all?

The pads thing is interesting as well.  This is the heat acclimatization protocol.  So, with no heat, why do we have it?  If it isn't really about heat then say so.  It seems to me to be about levelling the playing field for schools that weren't able to have as extensive an amount of contact days as others.  I have no problem with that explanation, but call it that then.
Huck
Huck
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:53 pm

Huck wrote:I am interested in how many teams are allowing kids to quit one sport to start another.  It is an interesting dilemma, because even if you operate under the mindset of putting the athletes first, there still isn't an easy answer.  
And I am not judging what anyone does.  I am assuming most schools have a policy in place that will be followed.
I am hearing rumors of teams that may not be able to field enough players to play in later weeks due to baseball beginning and the belief that every baseball player will bolt.
How fair is it to the other players for a basketball team to suddenly be missing 3 starters?
How fair is it to the wide receivers when the qb leaves for baseball and they now have a freshman qb?
But, how fair is it to tell a kid who loves football that either he has to miss a little bit of football to finish his basketball season, or else he has to choose to not play basketball at all?

This is exactly why our conference is only using 5 weeks of competition rather than 6. If a school wants to play 6 weeks and find games out of conference they are free to do so but most have not. Because of the number of multi-sport athletes in our small school conference, we didn't want to A. put the kids in a position to choose and B. put schools in a position where they may have to cancel games, which negative impacts the athletes in another school.

I am surprised that more small school conferences did not go this route, kids are in a bad position and you are creating conflict amongst coaches, who lets be honest, already fight over athletes rather than sharing athletes. I am sure some schools will be better at the compromise than others but ultimately it's putting kids in a bad spot. However, it is a good lesson for the kids to learn how to make a tough decision, which is something I think kids today really need to learn.

I believe if you start something you finish it. We have a rule that if you quit a sport mid-season, you are not considered in good-standing and cannot participate in the following sport. This was implemented years ago to stop kids from participating in a sport just to fulfill a suspension for getting caught with drugs/alcohol etc., from quitting after they fulfilled their % of season suspension.

Huck wrote:
The pads thing is interesting as well.  This is the heat acclimatization protocol.  So, with no heat, why do we have it?  If it isn't really about heat then say so.  It seems to me to be about levelling the playing field for schools that weren't able to have as extensive an amount of contact days as others.  I have no problem with that explanation, but call it that then.

I always thought the rule was ridiculous. I get and agree with the purpose, to ensure that kids get used to playing in the heat but volleyball (practices in hot gyms), cross country (outside), and soccer (outside) do not have to abide by the same acclimatization rules, at least to my knowledge.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:58 pm

It is not a rumor

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:37 pm

Pike Bishop wrote:

It is not a rumor

It's bound to happen. Our JV Basketball game got cancelled tonight due to COVID issues with our opponent. I know of a handful of teams who are starting practice with limited participants due to contract tracing within the school.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:37 pm

Our basketball kids attend football practice day of bball games and also today. They'll have enough days in to play week one.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:10 am

Huck wrote:I am interested in how many teams are allowing kids to quit one sport to start another.  It is an interesting dilemma, because even if you operate under the mindset of putting the athletes first, there still isn't an easy answer.  

i've never heard of a school with a policy re: kids quitting another sport. where have you seen this? what was the policy?

i did ask our qb about this. he and the head basketball coach had agreed to this happening before the season began.

net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:11 am

mc140 wrote:Our basketball kids attend football practice day of bball games and also today. They'll have enough days in to play week one.

same here.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:09 pm

net wrote:

i've never heard of a school with a policy re: kids quitting another sport. where have you seen this? what was the policy?

i did ask our qb about this. he and the head basketball coach had agreed to this happening before the season began.

In a normal year if a kid quits a sport, they can not go to workouts or train with the next sport until the current season ends at our place. Enforcement varies by coach and how much the kid pissed them off.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down