Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memorable 2nd Round Games

+10
guerin
net
Pike Bishop
OSUBucks
Teetime
wolverine55
Coach53
Bighitter11
lefty120
dusty7
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Memorable 2nd  Round Games Empty Memorable 2nd Round Games

Post by dusty7 Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:57 pm

2013 - Peotone @ Quincy Norte Dame - my first trip as a coach to the first round and the first trip for Peotone in several years. It was a 2 PM start and our HC decided that we would have a team breakfast at 5 am, stop halfway at Maroa for a walk through, before arriving around 1200. In hindsight this was a bad move, our kids were up the entire bus ride and we were exhausted when we got off the bus. As we pulled up their fans had signs saying how our Returner, who was on the HUDL top ten a few weeks prior, would not score along with some curious things about his girlfriend. He did end up with a KOR TD and would have had a Punt return as well had it not been for a holding penalty. We played tough without our starting RB and LB who had a hip pointer, but we did not make enough plays when given the opportunity.

2016 - Wilmington vs Byron - the previous year, Byron escaped with a surprise victory and our kids wanted redemption. We rolled through each game throughout the season and were 100% healthy. We score on our first drive and stop them on a 3 and out so we looked ready to dominate again. However, we have a 3 and out followed by a bad snap and they get the ball in their red zone and score to tie the game. We put together a drive that stalls out and they respond with a great drive. It’s 3rd and short, they run double dive, the kid gets 5 or so yards but in the scrum, our all state RB strips the ball and heads the other way for a TD. Byron is shocked. The next offensive play, we get an INT, score 3 plays later, and roll to a victory.

2017 - Wilmington at Farmington - if there was ever a game that I coached at Wilmington that illustrated the methodical approach of our offensive coordinator, this was the game. Going into the game, we were worried about their offensive weapons as thier QB was a good sized athlete and they had some speed at RB and at WR’s, and we were running a new defensive scheme we have did not use all season. We knew having long effective drives was the key to winning. They get the ball first and score in about two minutes, our guys were lost. We respond with a long drive that takes the game into the 2nd quarter but have to settle for a FG our freshman kicker barely makes. They get the ball back and start driving, they get to the the 15 and our NG disrupts the mesh and we get the ball back. We score on a the next drive and they respond with a solid 2 minute drill but we intercept it on the final play of the half. Some minor defensive adjustments and our OC reiterating being patient, we physically beat the crap out of them on our first drive of 2nd half. They have a D1 defensive tackle who completely lost it when we converted our 3rd straight 3rd down. Next play, our RB looks like he is tackled, makes a spin moves, and goes 40 yards for a TD. This kid ended the game with 4 TD’s and 2 Ints, we had 4 ints as a team. In this game I learned how important it is to just stick to your game plan and do what you do, and we physically beat the snot out of these kids. By the end of the game they wanted nothing to do with Wilmington football.

2019 - Wilmington vs Eureka - the Hornets came into this game with all the confidence in the world thinking this would not be a game. Our HC was going up against his brother in law who I think is the DC for Eureka. The thing that stands out to me in this game was an unbelievable sequence of plays by our QB/CB who now is a pitcher at Coastal Carolina. We put him on their best WR and the get him on a slant, Kid goes 50 yards before getting chased down on a great effort play by our FS. They score two plays later. 3 plays into our drive, our QB throws a 40 bomb right on the money and we get to the 2 and score the next play. They try to pick on him on their first play with a back shoulder fade and he picks it off. Next play, he throws a boot pass for a 45 yard TD. These big plays among many others give us a commanding lead and we physically beat them up. We ended the game with 5 3rd down conversions and with each subsequent conversion, you could see the defeat in their eyes.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime and lefty120 like this post

Back to top Go down

Memorable 2nd  Round Games Empty Re: Memorable 2nd Round Games

Post by lefty120 Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:25 am

2002 - Rochester @ Peotone - After our frenzied season of discipline issues and a 3 week winning streak to get to the playoffs and win and get to the 2nd round, we face a Dave Jacobs coached Rochester squad. We'd played Rochester in the regular season in 2000, losing 26-20 in a very competitive game, and winning in 2001 17-7 in another great game. Coach Jacobs and I had become somewhat of friends during this time and I think there was a very strong mutual respect between the two of us. He was way ahead of his time running a lot of spread run concepts with some very good athletes. Our defense was up to the challenge though and it was a great game. Down 7-0 in the 3rd, we score to tie it up. We get a turnover in the 4th, and drive it down and face a 4th and 1 from the 8. We decide to go for it as our FG kicker wasn't great and we were on a hash. Run our best runner behind our best OL and we get stuffed. Go to overtime. We face a 4th and goal at our own 13 and hit a post corner route to score...up 13-7. PAT is blocked. They score on 3rd play and kick the PAT to win 14-13. Loss, but what a fun 4 weeks that was and what a fun game to coach in.

2003 - Peotone @ Prairie Central We got in at 7-2, beat Princeton in overtime (our 3rd OT game in as many playoff games) and faced a Herculean effort against Coach Hassett's PC squad. Tremendous skill kids, great QB in Dylan Ward, and very well coached. If I recall, a very young Coach Leonard Jr. was on that staff. They'd pretty much 40 pointed everyone and I remember saying to my asst. coaches after we'd seen them play in round 1 that Friday before (we played on Saturday), I'm not sure I want to win. They were awesome. I remember getting there and we couldn't get off the bus right away as our kids had to finish watching The Program; we were heading out for warm ups and about 30-40 kids were lining our walk way telling us we were going to give up 40 in the first half. PC turned the ball over a few times to keep us in it, 14-0 at half. We go 3 and out to start 2nd half and a back up TE forces a fumble that we recover and go in and score. 14-7. They promptly run the kick off back to make it 21-7 and I'm thinking okay, here we go, it could get ugly from here and I wanted to stop the bleeding a bit. We begin to bang away, running the ball 14/17 plays on a drive that takes up the rest of the quarter. We score to make it 21-14 with about 7:00 left in the game. They come out and on the first play, we force a quick pass and we pick it off. Kid races it down to the 7. We face a 4th and goal from inside the 1. Run our best RB over our best OL and we fumble. We get the ball back with no time outs and a little over a minute left. We get it down to the 20, and try to spike it to get one more play and the officials blew the game over. I'll be 90 and suffering from dementia and still remember that there was :02 left on the clock. I chased those SOB's half way across the field before I realized that was it...I shook Coach Hassett's hand and their kids and walked to the locker room. Another fun run.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:06 am

2008 - Clifton Central at Flanagan - This was the rematch of our 2nd round game from a year ago that we got waxed 43-7 and gave up 500 yards rushing. It was first year for myself as the DC and def didnt want another 500 yards raked up on me. It was one of the colder games Ive ever coached in and the Field ran East/West with a huge wind blowing to the east. We scored late in the 1st half to go up 7-0 at half. They didnt do much offensively all game but were still in the game as one of our starting lineman went MIA the night before. Early in 4th Quarter they are punting from around their own 30 yard line. The Punt goes up and gets caught in the heavy east wind and start going backwards rolls and stops on the 1 yard line. We punched it in and got a quick interception and iced the game with a 3rd score 21-0. My first shutout as a DC

2012 - Clifton Central at Illini West - My first trip to the Legendary Fuzz Berges field in Carthage. Tim Lafferty was now the head coach but Coach Unruh was still on staff. Lafferty wanted to play at 1pm so he could watch his kid play for Monmouth online later that day. With the possible 4 hour travel we wanted 2pm kickoff. We got our way and we actually made good time so when we rolled up at 11:30 Lafferty was pissed. The lip reading said W.T.F. So game starts and we kicked from opposite hash across the field ball takes a funny bounce hits off one of their players and we recover and score on a 3rd down screen pass. We got a turnover on the next possession and again punch it in to go up 14-0. Their triple offense scared me we practiced assignment football all week. We never used a football during team defense and it paid off. We scored on a long pass to put us up 21-0 at half we added another score in 2nd half for a 28-0 final. Our kids played unbelievable on defense that night I dont think at that time in History that Carthage/Illini West had been shutout at home.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Teetime and lefty120 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 am

2008 was a memorable year for you guys as I recall...enjoyed following your run that year.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach53 Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:23 am

2010- SHS vs Marion-This was a game. Back and forth the entire game. They couldn't stop us and we couldn't stop them. I remember every player making a play at some point during the game. When they went compressed formation and ran the ball they dominated us. When they tried to spread it out they struggled. Marion took the lead with 4 minutes to go on a 30+ yard running back slow screen and we got the ball down 3. Marched down the field but stalled inside the 20 and went for it on 4th down. Threw a fade to our best WR in the corner of the endzone and then they went spread and we got an INT late to win. It was an awesome emotional game. I remember John Oaks speaking to the team at halftime and getting a nosebleed while he spoke and our teams collective jaws hit the ground...it was an awesome experience and such a fun time!

Coach53
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:45 am

Bighitter11 wrote:2008 - Clifton Central at Flanagan  - This was the rematch of our 2nd round game from a year ago that we got waxed 43-7 and gave up 500 yards rushing.  It was first year for myself as the DC and def didnt want another 500 yards raked up on me.  It was one of the colder games Ive ever coached in and the Field ran East/West with a huge wind blowing to the east.  We scored late in the 1st half to go up 7-0 at half.  They didnt do much offensively all game but were still in the game as one of our starting lineman went MIA the night before.  Early in 4th Quarter they are punting from around their own 30 yard line.  The Punt goes up and gets caught in the heavy east wind and start going backwards rolls and stops on the 1 yard line.  We punched it in and got a quick interception and iced the game with a 3rd score 21-0.  My first shutout as a DC

2012 - Clifton Central at Illini West - My first trip to the Legendary Fuzz Berges field in Carthage.  Tim Lafferty was now the head coach but Coach Unruh was still on staff.  Lafferty wanted to play at 1pm so he could watch his kid play for Monmouth online later that day.  With the possible 4 hour travel we wanted 2pm kickoff.  We got our way and we actually made good time so when we rolled up at 11:30 Lafferty was pissed.  The lip reading said W.T.F.  So game starts and we kicked from opposite hash across the field ball takes a funny bounce hits off one of their players and we recover and score on a 3rd down screen pass.  We got a turnover on the next possession and again punch it in to go up 14-0.  Their triple offense scared me we practiced assignment football all week.  We never used a football during team defense and it paid off.  We scored on a long pass to put us up 21-0 at half we added another score in 2nd half for a 28-0 final.  Our kids played unbelievable on defense that night I dont think at that time in History that Carthage/Illini West had been shutout at home.

I'll make my post later but I was at your game against IW.  It was a very dominant effort!!
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:18 pm

dusty7 wrote:2013 - Peotone @ Quincy Norte Dame - my first trip as a coach to the first round and the first trip for Peotone in several years. It was a 2 PM start and our HC decided that we would have a team breakfast at 5 am, stop halfway at Maroa for a walk through, before arriving around 1200. In hindsight this was a bad move, our kids were up the entire bus ride and we were exhausted when we got off the bus. As we pulled up their fans had signs saying how our Returner, who was on the HUDL top ten a few weeks prior, would not score along with some curious things about his girlfriend. He did end up with a KOR TD and would have had a Punt return as well had it not been for a holding penalty.  We played tough without our starting RB and LB who had a hip pointer, but we did not make enough plays when given the opportunity.

Joey Janutis correct?  What a dandy that family was. I remember in the infamous 09 season the dad and I almost got into a fist fight after a game. Kid was a good player though.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:40 pm

dusty7 wrote:2013 - Peotone @ Quincy Norte Dame - In hindsight this was a bad move, our kids were up the entire bus ride and we were exhausted when we got off the bus. As we pulled up their fans had signs saying how our Returner, who was on the HUDL top ten a few weeks prior, would not score along with some curious things about his girlfriend.

Catholic kids study up on girlfriends. It's part of the curriculum. I think it may be a requirement at QND.

Admin

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:53 pm

lefty120 wrote:
dusty7 wrote:2013 - Peotone @ Quincy Norte Dame - my first trip as a coach to the first round and the first trip for Peotone in several years. It was a 2 PM start and our HC decided that we would have a team breakfast at 5 am, stop halfway at Maroa for a walk through, before arriving around 1200. In hindsight this was a bad move, our kids were up the entire bus ride and we were exhausted when we got off the bus. As we pulled up their fans had signs saying how our Returner, who was on the HUDL top ten a few weeks prior, would not score along with some curious things about his girlfriend. He did end up with a KOR TD and would have had a Punt return as well had it not been for a holding penalty.  We played tough without our starting RB and LB who had a hip pointer, but we did not make enough plays when given the opportunity.

Joey Janutis correct?  What a dandy that family was. I remember in the infamous 09 season the dad and I almost got into a fist fight after a game. Kid was a good player though.

Yes, it was Janutis, he was an explosive player and he would have been one of the best if he could keep his nose clean. His dad was removed from several games during his 4 years.

In his sophomore year, we were playing Manteno and we were down 6-0 with 15 seconds left in the JV game. Manteno kicks the ball deep and he runs back for a TD, we run PAT Fire for the extra point and win 6-8.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:37 pm

2003--SHG at Jacksonville--The Cyclones beat us fairly convincingly in the regular season. I'm thinking 42-28 but it wasn't really that close. We came back in the playoff rematch and played a heck of a game against them, ultimately losing 21-14. As great as the game was, I really don't have many distinct memories except for a fumble down the stretch cost us a chance to potentially tie the game.

2004--SHG at Jacksonville--they beat us prettily handily yet again in the regular season 41-14 and that was the lonesome polecat game described in an earlier thread. I remember we went down and scored on our first drive, which was huge for our confidence. WR Justin Darwent made a heck of a catch in the endzone. Later, in I think the third quarter, JR Manker had a 75 or so yard TD run and we don't win the game without either of those plays as 21-14 was the final. Very uncharacteristic day for SHG, but those happen in upsets: several dropped TD passes and TDs called back for penalty throughout the game.

I don't remember exactly what SHG had to do for their last play whether it was a hail mary type pass or a multi-lateral play, but I saw our student body poised to rush the field. I ran over to try and tell them they had to wait until the play was over, not just 0:00 on the clock. I failed but fortunately we made the game clinching tackle right as our students hit the field. Almost had a "THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!" moment...

2005 Mt. Vernon at Normal West--We entered this game at 10-0 but as is typical of teams from the southern part of the state, our schedule and overall ability was doubted. Most though this was where our season would end despite the fact West entered having lost three games. We won 28-21, got a big play off a fake reverse, and fortune was on our side too. A potential 70ish yard TD by West was called back because the officials blew the play dead thinking his knee hit the ground. It hadn't...

2010: Chatham Glenwood at Jacksonville and North Fulton at Lewistown. I was at West Hancock at the time and we did not make the playoffs. My brother and I decided to make a day of it as soon as we saw the games were scheduled to where we could go to Jville and then drive up to Lewistown. The first game was a classic! Jacksonville jumped out to the lead but Glenwood rallied and won 48-47. And even more importantly, my brother got to meet Jacque Arse for the first time as we had a couple pregame drinks at Don's in Jville. My brother has literally met him just this one time yet will occasionally ask me, "Hey, have you heard from Grojean recently?" And, perhaps just as importantly, we met Head Idiot in person for the first time at the second game. While I obviously would have preferred coaching myself, it was a very memorable day. Come to think of it, my brother also got to meet net at the Jville game as Jville had upset SHG the week before to get to the second round.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime and OSUBucks like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:06 pm

wolverine55 wrote:2003--SHG at Jacksonville--The Cyclones beat us fairly convincingly in the regular season.  I'm thinking 42-28 but it wasn't really that close.  We came back in the playoff rematch and played a heck of a game against them, ultimately losing 21-14.  As great as the game was, I really don't have many distinct memories except for a fumble down the stretch cost us a chance to potentially tie the game.  

2004--SHG at Jacksonville--they beat us prettily handily yet again in the regular season 41-14 and that was the lonesome polecat game described in an earlier thread.  I remember we went down and scored on our first drive, which was huge for our confidence.  WR Justin Darwent made a heck of a catch in the endzone.  Later, in I think the third quarter, JR Manker had a 75 or so yard TD run and we don't win the game without either of those plays as 21-14 was the final.  Very uncharacteristic day for SHG, but those happen in upsets:  several dropped TD passes and TDs called back for penalty throughout the game.

I don't remember exactly what SHG had to do for their last play whether it was a hail mary type pass or a multi-lateral play, but I saw our student body poised to rush the field.  I ran over to try and tell them they had to wait until the play was over, not just 0:00 on the clock.  I failed but fortunately we made the game clinching tackle right as our students hit the field.  Almost had a "THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!" moment...

2005  Mt. Vernon at Normal West--We entered this game at 10-0 but as is typical of teams from the southern part of the state, our schedule and overall ability was doubted.  Most though this was where our season would end despite the fact West entered having lost three games.  We won 28-21, got a big play off a fake reverse, and fortune was on our side too.  A potential 70ish yard TD by West was called back because the officials blew the play dead thinking his knee hit the ground.  It hadn't...

2010:  Chatham Glenwood at Jacksonville and North Fulton at Lewistown.  I was at West Hancock at the time and we did not make the playoffs.  My brother and I decided to make a day of it as soon as we saw the games were scheduled to where we could go to Jville and then drive up to Lewistown.  The first game was a classic!  Jacksonville jumped out to the lead but Glenwood rallied and won 48-47.  And even more importantly, my brother got to meet Jacque Arse for the first time as we had a couple pregame drinks at Don's in Jville.  My brother has literally met him just this one time yet will occasionally ask me, "Hey, have you heard from Grojean recently?"  And, perhaps just as importantly, we met Head Idiot in person for the first time at the second game. While I obviously would have preferred coaching myself, it was a very memorable day.  Come to think of it, my brother also got to meet net at the Jville game as Jville had upset SHG the week before to get to the second round.

Great post, I was at all those SHG/JHS games you mentioned. There was a great rivalry between the teams back in those days. The 2004 game was a stunner. I don't know if this is widely known but members of the 2010 SHG team broke curfew the night before the game and were hungover for the game the following day. I remember the 2010 JHS team had a D1 kid playing TE but I forget his name. That kid was a stud and made plays all day.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:45 pm

Dalton Keene

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:14 pm

Teetime wrote:Dalton Keene

That's it, thanks.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:44 pm

Coach53 wrote:2010- SHS vs Marion-This was a game. Back and forth the entire game. They couldn't stop us and we couldn't stop them. I remember every player making a play at some point during the game. When they went compressed formation and ran the ball they dominated us. When they tried to spread it out they struggled. Marion took the lead with 4 minutes to go on a 30+ yard running back slow screen and we got the ball down 3. Marched down the field but stalled inside the 20 and went for it on 4th down. Threw a fade to our best WR in the corner of the endzone and then they went spread and we got an INT late to win. It was an awesome emotional game. I remember John Oaks speaking to the team at halftime and getting a nosebleed while he spoke and our teams collective jaws hit the ground...it was an awesome experience and such a fun time!

1993 - SHG vs. Lanphier, first of three straight years we played very talented Lanphier teams twice a season. Lanphier beat SHG in our first CS-8 game 13-7 which put us at 0-2. We won our next seven to get in the playoffs. I taught at Washington Middle School, Lanphier's feeder school. Many of their players , brothers and sisters, I had in class. Their QB's mom was one of our guidance deans. On Friday the day before the game there was no school due to parent/teacher conferences. I worked very hard to keep my teaching in District 186 and coaching at a non district separate. The people in charge do not like their teachers coaching for SHG. NET and Rochester's current DC can attest to this. The mother was in on one of my conferences. During a break, she was feeling cocky due to their earlier win over us. She asked me "are you nervous, scared about tomorrow's game?' I replied "No, my son not playing QB." The game was played in the cold and snow. With the exception of a long TD run by George Wilson (played RB at EIU, we shut down a pretty good offense aSHG won 27-7.
1994 - SHG vs. Lanphier, game was played at Memorial Stadium. Before SHG and Southeast built their own stadiums, some weekends three games were played there. By playoff time the field was not in good shape. It rained the night before and duringbtye game and the field was a mud bowl. Both offenses struggled and SHG won 16-0, scoring a safety on a blocked punt and two defensive TD's.
1995 - SHG vs. Lanphier, the "Immaculate Reception" game, toss up to which game had the largest crowd ever at Memorial this one or 2010 RHS vs.SHG. Great game back and forth all game. We finally pulled ahead 18-14 and were trying to run out the clock. We run our counter bootleg pass. Our QB is about get sacked, he throws the ball and the Lanphier CB, Danny Bryant (scrappy player, great kid, was in my 8th grade US History class), has a pick 6. Im upstairs and say "WTF, why in the \"f\"ing did Ken (Leonard) call that?". It was picked up on our camera mic (more about that later). Lanpheir is now up 21-18 with about 1:30 left. The Lanphier crowd is going wild. Im upstairs with Tom Fiaush and we decide we are not needed up here anymore. The Northenders are letting have it as we exit the press box and go to the visitor's side. On our sideline, Ken Leonard is hot at our QB and tells his son Derek, our soph back up QB to warm up his arm. We had a great run game but our pass game had a lot to be desired (I think we did not complete a pass until game 3). Ken kept our starting QB, Ryan Wells in the game. I forget what the D/D was, Lanphier is in prevent and Ryan throw a go route down the east sideline. The first LHS player tips the ball, it bounces off the second LHS player's helmet, and our soph WR, catches it and scores a TD. BOINk, BOINK, catch, TD. Im walking down the sideline to our box and it happened right in front of me. The Lanphier crowd goes from being berserk to complete silence. The SHG crowd goes the opposite. We win 25-21. People said it was a lucky catch but our LB/ST coach, Bob Brenneisen said "No, it was preparation meets opportunity." The next day, Ken comes up to me and responds to my comment that was picked up on tape. He did not call the boot pass. Our QB and our RB, twin brothers, great kids, tough kids, dreamed it up in the huddle.
2010 - Rochester vs. Effingham, Effingham was Apollo Conference champs and we won the CS-8 our first yearn the league. When I started coaching at Litchfield in the Old Mid-State Conference, Effingham would beat us like a drum. It was like Taft vs. Bakersfield in the movie "Best of Times". In my first playoff game as a coach, they beat us in a shoot out. The RHS team was one of the favorite groups I ever coached. They were also one of the goofiyest. They were pretty loose before the game and during our pre game routine. As a staff we are like - they are not focused and are not serious about the game.As we are walking out to the field, coach Leonard is steaming. He is shaking his head muttering "We are not ready, we are going to get beat." Our RB scored 6 TD's in the first quarter, we held their offense to negative yards, and our starters did not play a down in the second half, and we won 53-2. .

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by net Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:48 am

OSUBucks wrote:
wolverine55 wrote:2003--SHG at Jacksonville--The Cyclones beat us fairly convincingly in the regular season.  I'm thinking 42-28 but it wasn't really that close.  We came back in the playoff rematch and played a heck of a game against them, ultimately losing 21-14.  As great as the game was, I really don't have many distinct memories except for a fumble down the stretch cost us a chance to potentially tie the game.  

2004--SHG at Jacksonville--they beat us prettily handily yet again in the regular season 41-14 and that was the lonesome polecat game described in an earlier thread.  I remember we went down and scored on our first drive, which was huge for our confidence.  WR Justin Darwent made a heck of a catch in the endzone.  Later, in I think the third quarter, JR Manker had a 75 or so yard TD run and we don't win the game without either of those plays as 21-14 was the final.  Very uncharacteristic day for SHG, but those happen in upsets:  several dropped TD passes and TDs called back for penalty throughout the game.

I don't remember exactly what SHG had to do for their last play whether it was a hail mary type pass or a multi-lateral play, but I saw our student body poised to rush the field.  I ran over to try and tell them they had to wait until the play was over, not just 0:00 on the clock.  I failed but fortunately we made the game clinching tackle right as our students hit the field.  Almost had a "THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!" moment...

2005  Mt. Vernon at Normal West--We entered this game at 10-0 but as is typical of teams from the southern part of the state, our schedule and overall ability was doubted.  Most though this was where our season would end despite the fact West entered having lost three games.  We won 28-21, got a big play off a fake reverse, and fortune was on our side too.  A potential 70ish yard TD by West was called back because the officials blew the play dead thinking his knee hit the ground.  It hadn't...

2010:  Chatham Glenwood at Jacksonville and North Fulton at Lewistown.  I was at West Hancock at the time and we did not make the playoffs.  My brother and I decided to make a day of it as soon as we saw the games were scheduled to where we could go to Jville and then drive up to Lewistown.  The first game was a classic!  Jacksonville jumped out to the lead but Glenwood rallied and won 48-47.  And even more importantly, my brother got to meet Jacque Arse for the first time as we had a couple pregame drinks at Don's in Jville.  My brother has literally met him just this one time yet will occasionally ask me, "Hey, have you heard from Grojean recently?"  And, perhaps just as importantly, we met Head Idiot in person for the first time at the second game. While I obviously would have preferred coaching myself, it was a very memorable day.  Come to think of it, my brother also got to meet net at the Jville game as Jville had upset SHG the week before to get to the second round.

Great post, I was at all those SHG/JHS games you mentioned. There was a great rivalry between the teams back in those days. The 2004 game was a stunner. I don't know if this is widely known but members of the 2010 SHG team broke curfew the night before the game and were hungover for the game the following day. I remember the 2010 JHS team had a D1 kid playing TE but I forget his name. That kid was a stud and made plays all day.

they actually had 2 d1 tight ends. blake hance was a junior that year.

ironically, neither one of the d1s played te in college. dalton played dl at isu and blake was ol at nw. blake is on his 4th nfl team as he's on the practice squad with the jets.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by guerin Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:02 pm

Dalton Keane went to Jacksonville HS?
guerin
guerin
pumpkin chucker

Back to top Go down

Post by streatorfan88 Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:54 am

My sister was the cheerleading coach at Mt. Vernon in 2005 so we drove down to see her and see you guys beat NW. She was only in Mt. Vernon a couple years due to her husbands job so I think that was her only year coaching the cheerleaders.

streatorfan88
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:34 am

I've mentioned this before, but I was only in Mt. Vernon that one year. I loved it and for the most part people seemed to think I did a good job in both the classroom and on the field...unfortunately the superintendent wasn't one of those people, lol! And, Mt. Vernon had a weird set-up to where the high school and elementary schools were separate districts, so for evaluation purposes the super was my direct supervisor.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:53 am

guerin wrote:Dalton Keane went to Jacksonville HS?

yes, his sister jaelyn also went to isu. she was an incredible volleyball player there. in fact, i ran into her dad not too long ago, and she's playing professionally in europe. plus she's becoming a rising star in beach volleyball.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

guerin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:17 pm

Dalton Keene that plays tight end for the Patriots is not the same dalton Keene that went to Jacksonville and played at ISU.

Admin

guerin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guerin Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:09 pm

Teetime wrote:

Dalton Keene that plays tight end for the Patriots is not the same dalton Keene that went to Jacksonville and played at ISU.

Teetime knows me well! I thought this Dalton Keane being referenced was the Patriots TE, not the Jville one.
guerin
guerin
pumpkin chucker

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsefeather Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:09 am

2005 Geneva at Morris- These two teams had met in week one of the season, Morris won that game 41-19... but Geneva was a team definitely on the rise. They improved much throughout the season, and had won five straight coming in. Daily Herald and a couple other papers were smelling an upset, and asked Coach Dergo throughout the week how Morris was going to handle this much improved squad. After Morris won this contest 32-6, Coach Dergo made sure to go back to each reporter and asked them how they felt Geneva handled a "much-improved" Morris squad, as we beat them by a wider margin in the playoffs than we had in week one. They didn't like that.

2007 Morris @ Rochelle- Slobberknocker of a game as Morris went in and beat Rochelle 21-7. My first trip to the new (at the time) stadium at Rochelle... was so impressed with it. I remember our DC, Andy Peterson, was really worried about this one, but our D-line played their butts off and controlled the LOS all day long.

2009 Mendota @ Morris- My last game as a member of the MCHS coaching staff, though I didn't know it at the time. Things on the Morris staff at this point were devolving quickly, there were a lot of rifts forming, and our kids had a lot of "outside interests" that season that made it even more difficult to hold together. We made the playoffs at 5-4 after a brutal schedule that included non-con games with Oswego, St. Rita, & Crystal Lake Prairie Ridge. Somehow we still managed to tie for the NCIC conference title.

I remember the assistant coaches being very concerned about the game, but our head coach thought we should wipe the field with them. Mendota had a really nice squad that year... quick, nasty... & in the first series, they brought the wood, knocking our fullback silly & our sails just dropped. Mendota won easily 35-0. First time we had been shut out at home in 9 years... Mendota even took a knee with over 3 minutes remaining... didn't know whether I should think that was classy or dickish, but thought it was classy at the time. Plus they had a slobberknocker coming the next week with Geneseo, so they were saving their bodies a bit.

After the game, two coaches verbally resigned on the field in front of the kids, and the rest of us were debating the same. Dergo resigned a couple weeks later from the Head Football position and the search for a new coach began.
Horsefeather
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by niewi 24 Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:09 am

2016 - Plainfield North at Bradley Bourbonnais
We came in as the 16 seed at 8-2 and BB was 10-0 and the top seed. BB had an elusive quarterback who was going to pose many problems to keep controlled in the pocket. They also had a receiver going to Iowa (Harrell maybe) who was a complete playmaker. Our defense played outstanding, forced a couple of turnovers and we ran the ball all over them. In fact, we were up 35-0 nothing before they got a first down. We definitely opened up some eyes in the state that Saturday afternoon and helped put us more on the map (Kapri Bibbs toting the rock a few season earlier helped get the ball rolling in that department).
niewi 24
niewi 24
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:43 am

Harrell kid was one heck of an athlete not sure what happened but he is playing db for Southern Mississippi now.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:52 pm

wolverine55 wrote:2010:  North Fulton at Lewistown.
I was on North Fulton's sideline for this game.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next