Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 6 Memorable Games

4 posters

Go down

Week 6 Memorable Games Empty Week 6 Memorable Games

Post by dusty7 Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:30 pm

2007 - Villa Grove at Cerro Gordo - this was my first year coaching and we were coming in 3-2 and Cerro Gordo was 5-0, so this was a big game for us. Our HC's grandfather, who lived in Cerro Gordo, passed away earlier in the week and his funeral was the same day as the game so it was a very emotional day for our HC. It was a really back and forth game and I think we were up at the half 6-0. We just kept pounding the the ball with our HB, 2 or 3 yards at a time and continuously converted 3rd downs. I think we had the ball almost the entire 3rd quarter. In the 4th, we had an opportunistic fumble recovery early in the 4th and ran a counter to make the score 20-0. I guess you could say this was the first big win in my coaching career.

2009 - Peotone vs. Manteno - one of several games in this season that we won on a TD in the closing minutes of the game. As always, this was a rivalry game and it was our Homecoming, and we all know how troublesome those can be. It was spitting rain all day and throughout the game and it was a back and forth. Manteno had a phenomenal RB that we could not stop for the life of us but we found ourselves with a 3rd and long at about the 50-yard line, run a hitch, kid turns outside and runs for a TD. Manteno had a chance at the end of the game but our defense held strong.

2017 - Wilmington vs. Lisle - this was another homecoming game and we always struggle against Lisle. Lisle was by far the toughest team we faced up to that point in the season, both teams were 4-1 and battling for the top spot in the conference. We were up by 6 or 7 pretty much the entire game but we could never get to the point where we could get a 2 score lead. We moved our WB to QB, something we did several times this season and he took the game over all by himself. He broke 2 or 3 big runs and had an INT to seal the victory. Sadly, Lisle's stud QB went down along with their RB and they did not win another game that season. They were by far the best team we played until we met IC in the quarters.

2019 - Wilmington at Lisle - game got bumped up to a 4:30 start due to thunderstorms, it was Lisle's homecoming. They score on the first drive, we get the ball back and we score, after we made the PAT they call the game for lightning. We sit around for 3 hours, we knew we wouldn't finish the game but were trying to reschedule. We left Friday night not knowing when we would play, we could play as early ast 11am Saturday or as late as 7pm Sunday. Call was made early Sat we would play Sunday at 7:00. As we are warming up, small storm rolls through but luckily no call for lightning. It was definitely different playing on Sunday night, I would not want to do it again. And we won 35-13.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 6 Memorable Games Empty Re: Week 6 Memorable Games

Post by lefty120 Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Nik Romanchik again. Fun game. I have a hunch he may make another play next week to win the conference and clinch a playoff berth. 🤔

Side note...Manteno was running gun spread inside zone...one of the first teams we saw that did it well. And their RB was really good. We were lucky to win...like the other 4 we won that year.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:05 pm

2002--Jacksonville vs. Springfield--We were 0-5 coming into this one and Springfield wasn't much better. This is memorable because, although I was a freshmen coach at J'ville, this was the first varsity win I was a part of. We won something like 35-13 and I specifically remember our then sophomore quarterback had a big day for us plus each member of the starting defensive line and one backup had at least one sack. This started a streak where we won 3 of our last 4 and led directly to the success J'ville would have in 2003 and 2004.

2016--Keokuk vs. Washington--This was the biggest win of our surprise 6-3 2016 season. Washington was not ranked number 1 in the state at the time of this game but had been at one point in the season. Literally no one thought this was a game we would win. We competed very well and were down 12-3 at half. I remember telling our HC that the next score wins, because I really thought if we could get a TD on them we would win, but falling behind another score would be tough for us. Fortunately we got the next score and ended up winning 16-12. We had a player who turned in one of the best individual performances I've ever seen. I looked up the stats to give him his credit, but he had 13 carries for 98 yards, 9 catches for 138 yards and two TDs, and then defensively two interceptions as well.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:22 pm

Oddly, with no memorable games in Week 5 for me (even after looking up my HS schedule it was just a bunch of losing to St T) pretty much every major win in my playing or coaching career happened in Week 6. I'll start off with the 2 biggest wins, in terms of me keeping a job, in my coaching career

2011- Oakland Tri County @ Cerro Gordo- Tri County was undefeated and ranked 5th or 6th in 1A. They were returning conference champs and had curb stomped Arcola (who we lost to Week 3) the week before. We were 2-3 after starting 0-3 and had beaten lowly East Central and Arthur for our wins. The Herald and Review from Decatur picked us to lose 58-14. If anyone from CG ever tells you they were at this game, they're lying. We had maybe 100 fans show up. Oakland brought the whole town because they for some reason hate CG and consider it a huge rivalry. All signs point to it being a beat down for us.

We get the ball to start the game. Because of suspensions and injuries we had been running a I formation with a wing for the past 3 weeks. It had become our identity. For the first play I called white right double lead right. It was our most reliable play. Always good for at least 3 yds. Our wing as he's running out to the field goes "Coach, i think we should run pitch instead". He was a kid I trusted so I said do it. We run it. Our TB goes 82 yds for a TD. Our wing and FB combined to pancake 5 kids on the play. At half we were up 14-0 and were physically kicking their ass. I got over excited and said to the team "You've got your foot on their neck. Stomp on that son of a bitch in the second half! Make them want to stop playing football! TAKE THEIR SOULS!!!" The kids got fired up and we go out and do exactly that. We ended up winning 20-6 and kind of wrote the book on how to beat Tri County. In Week 10 Arcola would follow much the same formula and beat them in the first round of the playoffs. Late in the game there were a few late hits on our kids by them and I was getting testy as we had the game won, we just wanted time to run off. Our TB broke a double lead and was on his way to a score when one of their kids horse collared the crap out of him and he crumpled and stayed down. It infuriated me and I yelled very loudly at their sideline "Take your beating like a man!!". That became a staff joke.

Take their souls became a running joke in the school over the next 3 years. So much so that in 2012 when we hosted the first round playoff game one of the signs hanging from the fence said "Take their souls!!"- Kerley. I actually make it my Twitter handle when I still did that. @TakeTheirSouls

2012- CGB @ Villa Grove- This was the most fun, hardest coached, back and forth game I've ever been involved in. Coming in, both teams were undefeated and ranked. They were 5th or 6th in 1A and we were 7th or 8th in 2A. It was the game of the week in a lot of media outlets. Lots of hype. They were a double wing/wing t midline offense featuring their FB who was a great athlete- would win state in discus and I think shot put while weighing 170ish. At home they came out behind a fire truck and it was a hard, hard place to win. We'd gotten murdered their in 2010 by 50ish. We had snuck by them in 11 at home.

It was back and forth early and they led when we forced them to punt. Our stud TB muffed the punt and we took over on our 5. I still to this day have no idea what possessed me to call our first play. During the week we had been practicing a trick play where we'd pitch the ball to the TB and he'd pull up and throw a fade to a WR. All week we'd told him to run if nothing was there. We'd ran it in 11 and should have had our only score against Tuscola in the playoffs on it, but our WR dropped it . We called it Grey right pitch pass right. On Thursday I called it in walk through and our TB takes the pitch, pulls up and out of nowhere whips it back across the field to our QB on a wheel route. No one is near him. I go "What the \"f\"ing was that!?!" Our TB and QB start to nervously explain why they did that and I say "I like that, do it again". They do it again, it works. I say, ok, we'll call it grey right pitch pass throwback. I figured we could run it later after practicing it more and showing the other play to set it up.

Anyway, I look at our TB after he muffs that punt and I realized he was aching to make up for it. I figure there was no better way to do it than to put the game in his hands with 3 options of what to do. I call grey right pitch pass throwback. The offensive guy on the headphones to the booth goes "What did you call?" I tell him. He relays it upstairs as he walks away "Ya, he called THAT". Our guy in the booth (who happened to be the previous HC and a hall of famer) apparently took off his headset and mumbled a lot in disgust. As we line up there's no players or other coaches within 15yds of me. Snap the ball, pitch it to the TB and i think he's going to run. At the last second he whips it back to the QB who catches it in stride with no VG player within 10 yds. He goes 95yds for a TD. The school record for longest pass is held by a TB and the longest reception is held by a QB. It is THE playcall of my coaching career.

Momentum does a 180 and we stop them 3 and out on their next possession and proceed to go on a long, soul taking, grinding offensive drive. No passing, just giant chunks of yardage inside the tackles with our TB and FB. On the 3 our FB fumbles and they get the ball back and momentum leaves us.

Late in the 4th it's 14-14 and we ge the ball with 6ish minutes left. My goal is to run clock while also trying to score. We go on a dominating drive and score to make it 21-14. They get the ball back with less than 2 mins left and I'm pretty comfortable because they can't throw. They proceed to air it out and start running a perfect 2 minute drill. Eventually our stud TB who was also our safety intercepts it and we can kneel the clock out. Problem was we never practiced victory formation because I was a dumbass. Our WR splits out and I start yelling at him to come in. Eventually as I call time out I scream "Quintin GOD DAMNED Walker!!!" as I signal TO. As I look at the ref to see if he heard me, I notice that in the crowd about 10 feet away from me is the minister from my wife's church in Clinton just shaking his head and chuckling. We kneel the game out and win 21-14.

The next day when I met the coach from Bunker Hill to trade film he asks me what our record was and how our season was going. Being inflated by this win and it kind of being a huge deal in my mind, I was stupefied by his question, but more on that game next week.

Sorry for the novel. These were absolutely Exhibit A and B of what I would use to show that I was a decent coach.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Week 6 Memorable Games 20201010Here's the sign from 12. I took it after the game. It's in my basement with all my other coaching stuff.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:53 pm

HI,
I think the kid you are talking about was Pearce, his brother was on the ILB the year I coached, very good athletes.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:14 pm

dusty7 wrote:HI,
I think the kid you are talking about was Pearce, his brother was on the ILB the year I coached, very good athletes.
That's him. Tyler i think.. Threw at Eastern IIRC. He was a monster. Best athlete on the field that game and we had a few good ones ourselves. Their entire offense was based on him whereas we had a few options.

I looked it up. It was Ryan. Tyler graduated in 2011.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:18 pm

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content