Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Biden Innocent or Not Guilty

+15
general maximus
ramblinman
4a(6afornet)north
19delta
Head Idiot
net
newcom
Pike Bishop
tps
lefty120
mc140
dusty7
Teetime
BirdWatcher
OSUBucks
19 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Joe Biden Innocent or Not Guilty - Page 40 Empty Re: Joe Biden Innocent or Not Guilty

Post by Head Idiot Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:45 am

tps wrote:i agree, the EC could use some updating. many of our voting systems need some updating (i.e. voter ID; signature verification; citizenship, residency & eligibility checks)
I am super intrigued as to why Democrats think requiring ID for all sorts of daily tasks is perfectly legal, but doing so to vote is voter suppression.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

general maximus and wolverine55 like this post

Back to top Go down

Joe Biden Innocent or Not Guilty - Page 40 Empty Re: Joe Biden Innocent or Not Guilty

Post by BirdWatcher Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:02 am

Head Idiot wrote:
tps wrote:i agree, the EC could use some updating. many of our voting systems need some updating (i.e. voter ID; signature verification; citizenship, residency & eligibility checks)
I am super intrigued as to why Democrats think requiring ID for all sorts of daily tasks is perfectly legal, but doing so to vote is voter suppression.

It's racist to believe that POC don't have the wherewithal to obtain legal ID. Don't be racist.

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:32 am

Do you need ID to get a Link card?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:35 am

I looked it up.
You will be asked for various types of documents such as:

proof of your identity
proof of your residence
proof of Social Security numbers for all people on your application
other types of documents depending on your circumstances.  
So, requiring poor people to have ID to receive benefits, OK. Requiring them to do so to vote, racist and voter suppression.
To replace a lost Link card-
(FCRC)Verify identity. If the customer has an ID card that has their photo on it, (e.g., driver's license, Illinois ID card, credit card, student ID), no other proof is needed. The customer should provide two proofs of identity if their photo is not included. Acceptable proofs of identity include:
birth record
driver's license
work or school ID
wage stub
library card
military record
social security card
insurance policy
prison - court record
state-issued ID
voter registration card
clinic card - medical record
passport
firearms ID card.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:46 am

From Andrew Yang's website. This is pretty much a restatement of the ACLU's position on this-
YangGang wrote:  
Strict voter identification requirements across the country are depriving many voters of their right to vote. Of course, the lawmakers who write these laws and voters who use their identification in their everyday lives don’t think this is a big deal. However, low-income households, the elderly, transgender individuals, minorities, and people with disabilities (PWD) are more likely to be disenfranchised by these laws because they are more likely to experience difficulty obtaining the underlying documents necessary. 3.6% of registered white voters lacked proper ID, compared to 7.5% of black registrants. The transgender community is disproportionately affected by these laws. 57% (approximately 78,000) of transgender people may not have identification or documentation that accurately reflects their gender, making them ineligible to vote.

Processes to change names or gender markers on identification can be expensive, difficult, and vary from state to state. For individuals who do not have traditional identification like a driver's license or passport, states are legally required to provide a process for them to obtain some form of voter ID. However, states can purposely make it difficult to obtain voter ID by severely limiting the days that their ID offices are open. The most extreme example includes a location in Sauk County, Wisconsin where the office is only open on the fifth Wednesday of every month (which equates to four days of the entire year).

Nationally, 25% of African-American voting-age citizens lack a government-issued photo ID, compared to 8% of White voting-age citizens. The income gap plays major role in explaining this difference. Obtaining a government issued ID can easily cost $75 to $175 in transport fees, waiting times, and paying for supporting papers like birth certificates, which are not as easily accessible to minority communities living in poverty. When states enact voter ID laws, their turnout decreases by 2-3% and primarily affects ages 18-23, new voters, and African-American voters.

More than three-quarters of older voters between the ages of 65 and 74 are registered to vote, and more than 60% of those aged 85 and above cast a ballot in the 2016 election. Despite large voter turnout of the elderly population, who take their civic duty seriously, stringent identification laws are making it more and more difficult for them to participate in the voting process. Whether that means finding transportation to renew their expired driver’s license or scrambling to find a birth certificate that was issued 80 years ago, older voters are also becoming targets of disenfranchisement.

Identification problems should not bar Americans from voting. We must remove discriminatory voter ID laws that deny thousands of otherwise eligible citizens the opportunity to participate in the democratic process.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:46 am

tps wrote:
Huck wrote:
Of course its a problem. Everyone wants to win...

So it is about winning, not about getting it right. Okay.

I thought we were talking about picking a president?

We were.  Point is, picking the president is not the end all, be all.  Those in the minority may not get their way with the presidential selection, but that does not mean they aren't represented or under represented, as most arguments in favor of the EC imply.

i agree, the EC could use some updating. many of our voting systems need some updating (i.e. voter ID; signature verification; citizenship, residency & eligibility checks)

How about making voting mandatory? Like jury duty?
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:23 am

tps wrote:He also thinks life isn't worth living after 75.

No, he doesn't think that at all, and I challenge you to show me where he said that.

A quote of his from the article you linked:

"I would like to maintain my vigor, my intellectual capacity, my productivity, all the way through to the end."

All he is saying is that, FOR HIM, he does not want to take life prolonging drugs, vaccines or undergo heroic medical interventions after he turns 75.  That is not saying that he doesn't think life isn't worth living after that age.  Nor is he saying that his decision regarding how he wants to live until he dies should be applied to everyone.  

His position is not much different from terminal cancer patients who refuse chemo and/or radiation because they don't want to prolong the inevitable and live in worse health for longer than they would have if they were to take those measures.  It's not far removed from healthcare powers of attorney that contain a do not resuscitate order.  Everybody has an end to their lives.  What he is choosing to do is all about managing his particular end of life with dignity HIS way.  I applaud him for that.

Last edited by ramblinman on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:37 am; edited 3 times in total
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Huck Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:33 am

Head Idiot wrote:I am super intrigued as to why Democrats think requiring ID for all sorts of daily tasks is perfectly legal, but doing so to vote is voter suppression.

So are you actually intrigued, or are you just wanting to have a conversation with yourself where you ridicule the opinion?
Huck
Huck
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:36 am

I would like an actual explanation. Why is voting unique for needing ID?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Huck Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:52 am

I think it is covered pretty well in what you copied and pasted from Yang.

You seem to disagree.

One of the hardest things I have had to do in my life is to move past my sheltered, conservative-viewed upbringing and try to actually put myself in the place of others. I still struggle with it. There are a lot of things about which I still probably don't have enough sympathy when it comes to the difficulties of those less fortunate. But when it comes to a right like voting, where historically there have been all kinds of examples of voter suppression and intimidation, I guess I am better able to do it.

If the person is registered, and votes without id, and nobody else tries to vote under the same name, that is where I don't understand the consternation. Do people really believe that there are lots of people out there wagering on which registered voters have not shown up, and attempting to vote again under their name?

Last edited by Huck on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Huck
Huck
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:58 am

Huck wrote:I think it is covered pretty well in what you copied and pasted from Yang.

You seem to disagree.
But if the argument is that requiring ID for voting is too costly to low income families, why is ID required of those same people to get government assistance in the state of Illinois? Shouldn't those requirements be considered oppression as well?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Huck Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:59 am

Voting is a right.

And to get assistance does not require photo id, which is oftentimes the costly and time consuming aspect.
Huck
Huck
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Huck wrote:Voting is a right.

And to get assistance does not require photo id, which is oftentimes the costly and time consuming aspect.
So is owning a gun, but there are all sorts of ID and financial requirements for that.

A state ID cost $10. I have no problem making that free if we require it for voting.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

general maximus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Huck Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Making the ID free is just a start.  There is a lot more potential "cost" to lower income citizens when it isn't necessary.  Why should voting require a photo ID?
Huck
Huck
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:07 pm

Huck wrote:Do people really believe that there are lots of people out there wagering on which registered voters have not shown up, and attempting to vote again under their name?
Chicago is famous for this historically. Do you believe the Democrats just stopped doing this in Chicago? Our state is rife with all sorts of political fraud, but they suddenly grew a conscious about this singular issue?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:10 pm

Huck wrote:Making the ID free is just a start.  There is a lot more potential "cost" to lower income citizens when it isn't necessary.  Why should voting require a photo ID?
How about any ID? How about at least the proof of registration card they give you in the mail? Something at least.

Right now, the only proof of who you are is an address and signature. Which was checked at my polling place, but me and my wife were the only ones there at 430pm. I would imagine at rush time there isn't a real scrutiny of those.

-------

https://turk190.aforumfree.com/viewtopic.php?t=5702
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40