Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

any rules regarding PA announcers at high school football games?

+9
OldTitan
ramblinman
net
illinipete
wilky
crusader
Teetime
ging
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

any rules regarding PA announcers at high school football games? - Page 2 Empty Re: any rules regarding PA announcers at high school football games?

Post by ging Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 am

Veeman wrote:All sounds are to cease as the offense comes to the line, or they run the risk of the home team being flagged for their conduct (15 yards).

i support this, but have a hard time believing any crew would enforce this.

Veeman wrote:In short, the actions as well as the inflection of the PA announcer can reflect on the school that they work for, and how opposing schools view the announcers' school.

absolutely agree with this!

ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

any rules regarding PA announcers at high school football games? - Page 2 Empty Re: any rules regarding PA announcers at high school football games?

Post by Veeman Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:38 pm

ging wrote:
Veeman wrote:All sounds are to cease as the offense comes to the line, or they run the risk of the home team being flagged for their conduct (15 yards).

i support this, but have a hard time believing any crew would enforce this.  

Veeman wrote:In short, the actions as well as the inflection of the PA announcer can reflect on the school that they work for, and how opposing schools view the announcers' school.

absolutely agree with this!

Ging--I appreciate your input on this.

As for the first point, I had an official from Bloomington whose sons played at BHS with mine several years ago tell me that his officiating crew was taught this and they have the discretion to flag the home team for the extemporaneous (or impromptu) noises, but never do you see it occur. Each team needs to be given equal opportunity to be able to run a play s cleanly as possible without having to spend a timeout or get flagged for delay of game, so if the home town can run their plays without someone playing music or sound effects, then it's only fair the visitors get the same courtesy.

At one BHS road game I went to last season, the home team's student section brought in an amplifier and hooked up a boom box, playing music while the game was going on, and acting as if it was a party. The noise was loud enough (even in a packed grandstand, because it was a rivalry game) that you could hear it in the press box, and some of that school's faculty didn't think it was fair for that to be going on. I'm sure that the AD from that school was told and perhaps the kids were told to leave the amp at home after that.

The second point is that NASPAA (as well as others) feel that the trickle-down effect of how things are carried out at professional sporting events have taken a toll on the relationship of high schools, and has led to some harsh things being said because of how one school was treated at another school. One of the things that the visiting school's fans remember is the PA announcer's attitude in how something is conveyed over the PA system. 35 said it earlier in this thread that the PA man has to serve both sides of the stadium (not just the one that hired them), and the announcer is responsible for the spectator's experience at the venue.

Veeman
Bee-otch

http://www.illinoishsglorydays.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Veeman wrote:

The second point is that NASPAA (as well as others) feel that the trickle-down effect of how things are carried out at professional sporting events have taken a toll on the relationship of high schools, and has led to some harsh things being said because of how one school was treated at another school.

there's no denying that sometimes it's a monkey-see, monkey-do approach by some high schools in mimicking what they see at professional and college atmospheres. one of sterling's conference opponents used to have a basketball PA guy who would yell "TerrrrRAVeLINGGGGGGGGG!" whenever that call was made against the opposition. that was stolen from an NBA arena, no doubt. again, no place for that in the high school game. college and pros? ok by me. but leave it there.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2