Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Isaiah Bruce - Le-Win Track and Field

+12
niewi 24
net
ging
lefty120
tincup1215
Bighitter11
crusader
Pike Bishop
center
OldTitan
mc140
19delta
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Isaiah Bruce - Le-Win Track and Field Empty Isaiah Bruce - Le-Win Track and Field

Post by 19delta Sat May 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Bruce is a sophomore and is already throwing the shot almost 52'. He also runs on the 400m and 800m relay teams. Both relay teams have already turned in state-qualifying times in recent meets.

How common is it to have a T&F athlete who qualifies for the state tournament as a thrower and a relay runner? I would imagine that this does not happen very often.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Isaiah Bruce - Le-Win Track and Field Empty Re: Isaiah Bruce - Le-Win Track and Field

Post by mc140 Sat May 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Best I have seen personally was Perez Ford of Romeoville/NIU. Made it in Shot, 100, 200 out of 2012 Lockport Sectional. Should have also made it in disc as he was seeded first, but just missed.

http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysTrackField/RecordsHistory.aspx

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Isaiah Bruce - Le-Win Track and Field Empty Re: Isaiah Bruce - Le-Win Track and Field

Post by OldTitan Sat May 05, 2018 10:40 pm

it is uncommon, but explosive is explosive:
Jason Seaman (MS) threw 55' and 150'+ as a sophomore and was also on speed relays.
Brit Miller (Dec IKE) qualified for state in SP, Discus, 4 x 100, and 4 x 200.

It's always impressive, but happens.

Strangest combinations I have seen:
Justin Sebens (MS) State qualifier in two-mile and high jump.
Kid from Mattoon one year won sectional in 110 high hurdles and shot put!
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by center Sun May 06, 2018 12:50 am

19delta wrote:Bruce is a sophomore and is already throwing the shot almost 52'. He also runs on the 400m and 800m relay teams. Both relay teams have already turned in state-qualifying times in recent meets.

How common is it to have a T&F athlete who qualifies for the state tournament as a thrower and a relay runner? I would imagine that this does not happen very often.

Bruce is a stud. Just saw him last Friday night at our place for track meet. Terrific football player also. One of my daughters was working shot put and said he seemed like a genuinely nice kid.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Sun May 06, 2018 1:25 am

19delta wrote:Bruce is a sophomore and is already throwing the shot almost 52'. He also runs on the 400m and 800m relay teams. Both relay teams have already turned in state-qualifying times in recent meets.

I coached a kid in the early 80's named Tim Richardson. He was all-state RB in football, MVP in the Shriner game, never wrestled until his junior year in high school and was a two time state qualifier, undefeated in Golden Gloves. In track he was a 56-57' shot-putter, low 13's in the 110 high hurdles, and 23'+ in the long jump. People would come to track meets just to watch him.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun May 06, 2018 9:54 am

OldTitan wrote:it is uncommon, but explosive is explosive:
Jason Seaman (MS) threw 55' and 150'+ as a sophomore and was also on speed relays.

That is incredible.

Guys my age (mid-40s) or older who used Greg Shephard's Bigger, Faster, Stronger (BFS) weight training program probably remember Stefan Fernholm. He was a Swedish Olympian who trained with Shephard in the 1980s. He threw the shot 65', the discus 224' and allegedly ran a 40-yard dash in 4.25 seconds at a bodyweight of 270lbs. Freak.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun May 06, 2018 9:56 am

Pike Bishop wrote:

I coached a kid in the early 80's named Tim Richardson. He was all-state RB in football, MVP in the Shriner game, never wrestled until his junior year in high school and was a two time state qualifier, undefeated in Golden Gloves. In track he was a 56-57' shot-putter, low 13's in the 110 high hurdles, and 23'+ in the long jump. People would come to track meets just to watch him.

The total package.

He definitely won the DNA lottery!
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun May 06, 2018 9:59 am

center wrote:

Bruce is a stud. Just saw him last Friday night at our place for track meet. Terrific football player also. One of my daughters was working shot put and said he seemed like a genuinely nice kid.

I have watched him compete since 8th grade. I don't know him well but he seems to be a genuinely nice kid and a hard worker. They are very lucky to have him at Lena. If he stays on his current trajectory, he will graduate high school having earned 12 varsity letters. That is amazing.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center Sun May 06, 2018 11:46 am

I now coach with a guy named Garrett Barnas. If you were familiar with the really good Bureau valley teams of mid 2000’s. He was QB for state champ.

Unbelievable athlete even now.

Senior year at state track gets 2nd in 110 HH, 5th in 300 IM, and throws 52 feet in shot.

Never threw shot before senior year.

He is the best athlete I have personally ever been around myself.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Sun May 06, 2018 3:00 pm

center wrote:I now coach with a guy named Garrett Barnas. If you were familiar with the really good Bureau valley teams of mid 2000’s. He was QB for state champ.

Senior year at state track gets 2nd in 110 HH, 5th in 300 IM, and throws 52 feet in shot.

Mike McGee, I coached him at SHG in football and track. Outstanding high school football player who was a good defensive tackle at Illinois. He was also an all conference basketball player. I saw him dunk with a one step take-off. In track he a 55'+ shot-putter and did a great job anchoring our 4x100 wearing black, high top Converse All Stars.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader Mon May 07, 2018 8:03 am

Frank Boudreaux ran the hurdles and put the shot for Althoff in the late 1980s, went to Northwestern, then the NFL as a D lineman, became a secret service agent and ultimately, body man for Bush 43. As he could keep up with the President on a bike, he was nicknamed Peloton One.
crusader
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader Mon May 07, 2018 8:04 am

19delta wrote:

That is incredible.

Guys my age (mid-40s) or older who used Greg Shephard's Bigger, Faster, Stronger (BFS) weight training program probably remember Stefan Fernholm. He was a Swedish Olympian who trained with Shephard in the 1980s. He threw the shot 65', the discus 224' and allegedly ran a 40-yard dash in 4.25 seconds at a bodyweight of 270lbs. Freak.
We did this program and went to see him at SEMO ... I always figured he juiced.
crusader
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Mon May 07, 2018 8:57 am

crusader wrote:
19delta wrote:

That is incredible.

Unfortunately, in that era, it was a very real possibility. It is a shame for the natural athletes, because PEDs cast a pall on everyone. People would look at Seaman and assumed he juiced, but the kid was as natural as they come.

It was worse in the 80s when I played. We were a mediocre D3 team and had some guys who juiced. It was rampant at the upper levels of college football and pros.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 am

center wrote:I now coach with a guy named Garrett Barnas. If you were familiar with the really good Bureau valley teams of mid 2000’s. He was QB for state champ.

He was an alright Quarterback Very Happy
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 Mon May 07, 2018 10:20 am

That is impressive! Strangest combo I've seen is my buddy in high school who threw the disc 146' and then pole vaulted 12'9". Was all-conference D-end at Elmhurst college
tincup1215
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Mon May 07, 2018 10:53 am

What years did he play at Elmhurst?

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Mon May 07, 2018 12:23 pm

crusader wrote:
19delta wrote:

That is incredible.

It was pretty well-known that Fernholm used steroids, as did virtually every elite T&F athlete from the 1950s-1990s. In fact, there is a movie about Fernholm and how steroid use possibly led to his death. He died pretty young. I don't think he even made 40.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 Mon May 07, 2018 1:08 pm

lefty120 wrote:What years did he play at Elmhurst?

05-08
tincup1215
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Mon May 07, 2018 3:58 pm

19delta wrote:Bruce is a sophomore and is already throwing the shot almost 52'. He also runs on the 400m and 800m relay teams.

this has got to be the same kid who plays varsity basketball but doesn't look much like a basketball player...but can play.

Last edited by ging on Mon May 07, 2018 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Mon May 07, 2018 4:07 pm

ging wrote:
19delta wrote:Bruce is a sophomore and is already throwing the shot almost 52'. He also runs on the 400m and 800m relay teams.

this has got to be the same kid who plays varsity basketball but doesn't look much like a basketball player...but can play.

Yes. In fact, I have heard more than a few people make the comment that he is a better basketball player than a football player. And he is a heck of a good football player. Not a stretch to suggest that he will be the best football player in the NUIC this fall.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Mon May 07, 2018 8:50 pm

ging 2.0?

enrolled at snc?
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Tue May 08, 2018 11:49 am

net wrote:ging 2.0?

enrolled at snc?

there are a few inaccuracies in this post
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by niewi 24 Tue May 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Female athlete out of Morris, Adrianne Leschewski, would throw shot and disc and then anchor the relay teams. Relay teams never did anything to get out of a regional or sectional, but she had a mighty fine throwing career. Decent combination, in my opinion.

And I must say, she was by far the most fearsome Powder Puff player in the history of Powder Puff.
niewi 24
niewi 24
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue May 08, 2018 3:05 pm

niewi 24 wrote:Female athlete out of Morris, Adrianne Leschewski, would throw shot and disc and then anchor the relay teams.  Relay teams never did anything to get out of a regional or sectional, but she had a mighty fine throwing career.  Decent combination, in my opinion.

And I must say, she was by far the most fearsome Powder Puff player in the history of Powder Puff.
The Young girl from Warrensburg who just went out as a 4 timer in shot and discus (IIRC) was also a sprinter early in her career until her knee became troublesome (IIRC).

She's at South Carolina throwing now.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Tue May 08, 2018 3:07 pm

In 1995 I coached a young woman named Jen Brown at SJO. She was the third fastest athlete on the team that year. Keep in mind, our 4 x 100 relays got 2nd in the state that year an she was not on it. She won the discus that year as a sophomore.

She went on to be a three-time state champ in discus, setting the class A record and a two-time champ in shot put. She continued in her career as a thrower for Indiana University and was a Big Ten champ and an All-American.

I never thought I would personally work with another thrower as good as Jen. Then came Dani Bunch - she threw over 51' in shot as a Junior! She is also the AA state meet record holder in that event for shot. She was Big Ten athlete of the year her senior year at Purdue and was in the last Olympic trials.

Both women were three-sport athletes.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next