Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

District Format

+4
Chukam All
Pike Bishop
lefty120
OSUBucks
8 posters

Go down

District Format  Empty District Format

Post by OSUBucks Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:09 pm

OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

District Format  Empty Re: District Format

Post by lefty120 Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:07 am

We will vote no. I completely understand why some schools are very much in favor of it however. I don't begrudge anyone from wanting this format. As an IL HS football traditionalist, I've struggled with the fact that:

A. We can't see what it would look like before voting (this is honestly ridiculous to me and wreaks of how inept the IHSA is at handling such things)
B. The lack of importance on the first two games of the season.

I've had some pretty hefty debates about B with some of my coaching colleagues, but at the end of the day, I think minimizing the importance of those two games on District finish and post season will open a door to the best players on teams choosing to sit those games out for fear of injury.

lefty120
Bee-otch

OSUBucks likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:48 pm

lefty120 wrote:We will vote no.   I completely understand why some schools are very much in favor of it however.  I don't begrudge anyone from wanting this format.  As an IL HS football traditionalist, I've struggled with the fact that:

A.  We can't see what it would look like before voting (this is honestly ridiculous to me and wreaks of how inept the IHSA is at handling such things)
B.  The lack of importance on the first two games of the season.  

I've had some pretty hefty debates about B with some of my coaching colleagues, but at the end of the day, I think minimizing the importance of those two games on District finish and post season will open a door to the best players on teams choosing to sit those games out for fear of injury.

One of our coaches found two tentative districts we may be in. They both entail a lot more travel with less competition.
I have to agree with the IHSA wants to. vote on the proposal before we see what we are voting on. Congress does that all the time and look what that has done.
The lack of importance of the first two games reminds me of what the college bowl season has become (other than 3 games), something the players and coaches don't want to do.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chukam All Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:15 am

From this fan's perspective, I hate the idea. It may be a necessary evil for some, but for those of us in a stable (God bless the Mid-Illini) conference it would be disaster. Metamora would lose Washington, Dunlap, Pekin and Canton. And replace them with who? Richwoods. PND, Manual and even Pontiac have all dropped down a class. Peoria HS and all the Blo/No publics are up a class or 2. There are no schools in Class 5A anywhere close to replace the losses. And I can't imagine the fuel bill Pekin is going to rack up.
Chukam All
Chukam All
Bee-otch

OSUBucks likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:27 am

There is a lot to complain about with the IHSA but I dont really blame them in regards to this proposal. The timeline for these proposals are the same every year. The IHSA didnt submit this proposal a group of schools did.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:27 pm

We voted no. Any district were put in will at best put us in same situation and at worst leave little to no chance of ever qualifying.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyclone1 Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:27 pm

The coaches I have spoken to do not like the district format. I agree they should pay Soucie to mock up some districts in order to let people know what they look like before they vote.
Some coaches believe playing larger schools benefits them in the playoffs when they play in their own class. I tend to agree with that. I think for most teams it will require a lot more travel.

I believe it is not a good thing.
Cyclone1
Cyclone1
Bee-otch

OSUBucks likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:51 pm

Honestly I think that overall we have pretty good High School football presently in Illinois. I’ve read all of the posts on this thread by other posters and I tend to agree with a lot of what I read. I don’t agree with the proposal and hope we vote against it and I think we will.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:10 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:There is a lot to complain about with the IHSA but I dont really blame them in regards to this proposal.  The timeline for these proposals are the same every year.  The IHSA didnt submit this proposal a group of schools did.  

From the IHSA website's page about their Legislative Commission:  "The Legislative Commission functions as the IHSA's screening committee for proposed amendments to the Constitution and By-laws. Meeting annually in November (or when called into special session), the Legislative Commission considers every proposed change to the Constitution and By-laws. Proposals receiving majority support in the Commission are then submitted to all member schools, who vote in December by electronic ballot."

So not only did those group of schools submit the proposal, but at least a majority of the members of the 35-member Legislative Commission who voted on this matter voted in favor of putting the proposal to a vote.

It mystifies me how this is being considered again so shortly after the previous district proposal debacle.  

There are several things that stink about this proposal.
1.  Timing.  Starting districts for football in 2024 means the IHSA has to scramble to create districts and schedules for all teams.  By the time it releases these districts and schedules to the public, it will be too late to rescind. Last time, there was time for a new vote to rescind the old one. The timing looks intentional to me. Also, how does the IHSA expect schools to simply not honor the game contracts they have for games this coming year and next?
2.  Voting. Last time, non-football playing schools who voted in favor of districts the first time it came up for a vote were the difference in the proposal passing.  These same non-football playing schools will be allowed to vote this time as well.  Also, on the Legislative Commission, there are several members from non-football playing schools.  How did they vote?  Did they recuse themselves from voting on whether or not to allow this proposal to go forward for a vote because their schools don't play football?
3.  Schools being made to vote on districts without knowing the composition of those districts.  It reminds me of:
 District Format  2Q==
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

OSUBucks likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:35 pm

RM bringing the juice once again. Why would non football schools have a vote?
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:18 pm

The District proposal failed by a fairly large margin. Will they try again next year? I don’t see it passing next year either.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:21 pm

OSUBucks wrote:The District proposal failed by a fairly large margin. Will they try again next year?  I don’t see it passing next year either.

I was originally in favor of districts several years ago when this first was up for a vote. I liked the concept until I saw what it would actually look like. I'm hoping the fact that the proposal was soundly defeated means that we won't see it proposed again next year or in the near future.

You can't change geography.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down