Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

District Poll Just to Pass Time

+14
wolverine55
general maximus
4a(6afornet)north
newcom
morrisfan
Teetime
center
Pirate
lefty120
Reggie
tincup1215
ramblinman
Head Idiot
tito-landrum
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

District Poll Just to Pass Time Empty District Poll Just to Pass Time

Post by tito-landrum Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:32 pm

Next week IHSA schools administrators will vote on a proposal to implement a district scheduling football format. Just to get a read on how this vote will turn out. How do you think your school will vote? I will share the results.

Vote Here: https://goo.gl/forms/6GVaLjSlcHaO2IaJ2
tito-landrum
tito-landrum
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

District Poll Just to Pass Time Empty Re: District Poll Just to Pass Time

Post by Head Idiot Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:28 pm

I didn't vote, as I have no idea what Lincoln would do. That's far, far about my pay grade and far, far below my sense of wonderment.

I do know that CG would probably be opposed to it(based on their attitudes on it the last time it came up for a vote- but they are on their 2nd principal since then and 3rd AD) and Sullivan for it, or neutral.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by tito-landrum Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:32 pm

Head Idiot wrote:I didn't vote, as I have no idea what Lincoln would do.  That's far, far about my pay grade and far, far below my sense of wonderment.

I do know that CG would probably be opposed to it(based on their attitudes on it the last time it came up for a vote- but they are on their 2nd principal since then and 3rd AD) and Sullivan for it, or neutral.

If there were districts a few years back I wonder if Lincoln and Taylorville would still be in the CS8 for other sports.
tito-landrum
tito-landrum
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:56 pm

tito-landrum wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:I didn't vote, as I have no idea what Lincoln would do.  That's far, far about my pay grade and far, far below my sense of wonderment.

If there were districts a few years back I wonder if Lincoln and Taylorville would still be in the CS8 for other sports.
That's a great question. It seems a majority of the town would still like to be in it as the attitude toward football success seems to be non existent. I honestly don't know why they moved as no one seems to care enough about football to have made the move souly for it.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:19 pm

No idea how Loyola will vote. Probably no because they just helped engineer a merger of the ESCC and CCL for football only.

I wonder if this vote is going to football playing schools only, or if it is being put to the entire membership. If the entire membership, why allow non-football playing schools to influence the vote?
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:08 pm

I believe it's Football only. I can't speak for my school, but personally I am an emphatic YES.
tincup1215
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by Reggie Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:45 am

I would guess Metamora would be against this as it would effectively disintegrate the Mid-Illini conference as the schools are across four classes (Pekin 7A, Dunlap and Washington 6A, East Peoria, Limestone, Metamora, and Morton 5A, and Canton 4A).
Reggie
Reggie
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:25 am

I respect everyone's opinion as you have to think first and foremost in regard to your own school and kids. We, I hope, will be an emphatic No. I respect the situation of conference hopping and schools finding games out of state. All legitimate problems. But for us, we have worked very hard to get our kids into a league that is commiserate with what our student body is. We have a schedule now that is both competitive and geographically friendly.

My issue, and I'm wondering if anyone else has an issue with this, is that the first two games of the season under the new plan will not count towards a teams ability to make the playoffs. Basically, two pre season games before the playoff push begins. As a bit of an old school IHSA Football guy, I love the fact that every game means something. Some would question my competitiveness, and I would respect your opinion. But in the current climate of football, with injuries being such a pertinent part of it, I can imagine a situation where those two games are treated like pre season games. I couldn't imagine playing our best 2-3 players in those games and losing them to season ending injuries before the playoff push even begins. Maybe I'm off base, wouldn't be the first time, but that worries me.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:40 pm

I used to be an emphatic NO, until our conference dissolved.  Our new conference next year, we have a 1 year "probationary" contract based on our enrollment and we'll either be voted in as permanent or take a hike.  

Current enrollments are

1313 (us and we are trending downwards)

Notice the 1st, 3rd, and 4th schools which are all within 100 students are not on "probationary" status based on their enrollment.

Football definitely has nothing to do with our current plight either Rolling Eyes
tincup1215
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by Pirate Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:20 pm

I think this vote is going to be interesting. Would like to see the breakdown of how each part of the state votes. I know at Normal Community we will be voting yes. The simple reason for us it we are the only 7A team in our conference and would like to play more 7A team during the regular season. That being said we sure would like some open dates to play the schools in our conference we have been playing for awhile. Two or three open dates would be perfect. We also have a open date problem. With an odd number in our league we have a floating open date. Week 4, this year we were able to schedule a 8A opponent that was great for us to get, would have been nice to win but was good for our kids. Now that school has had to drop us because their conference is expanding. So we have an open date and we are having a difficult time finding someone to play.

Pirate
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Reggie Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 am

lefty120 wrote:I respect everyone's opinion as you have to think first and foremost in regard to your own school and kids.  We, I hope, will be an emphatic No.  I respect the situation of conference hopping and schools finding games out of state.  All legitimate problems.  But for us, we have worked very hard to get our kids into a league that is commiserate with what our student body is.  We have a schedule now that is both competitive and geographically friendly.  

My issue, and I'm wondering if anyone else has an issue with this, is that the first two games of the season under the new plan will not count towards a teams ability to make the playoffs.  Basically, two pre season games before the playoff push begins.  As a bit of an old school IHSA Football guy, I love the fact that every game means something.  Some would question my competitiveness, and I would respect your opinion.  But in the current climate of football, with injuries being such a pertinent part of it, I can imagine a situation where those two games are treated like pre season games.  I couldn't imagine playing our best 2-3 players in those games and losing them to season ending injuries before the playoff push even begins.  Maybe I'm off base, wouldn't be the first time, but that worries me.  

Once they take the top four teams from each conference would they not then use the overall record to seed the teams as they do now? If not then there will not really be a way to differentiate the teams as seemingly all the teams would have conference records of 7-0, 6-1, 5-2, and 4-3. To me you have to use the non-district games just for that purpose.
Reggie
Reggie
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by center Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:12 pm

In a perfect world I think coaches would prefer to stay in conferences. I know I would. But you would have to get rid of outlier teams that don’t belong in a current league.

I think Northern Illinois is one conference away from making this work. You would need to get teams like Dixon and Freeport out of their current situations in a league and reform some others.

I think once people look at who they might be playing and how far they will travel the will have a fit about districts.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:30 pm

I don't know how SHG will vote.

If it were my decision I'd go for districts. The conferences will stay in place in all other sports, it allows the two non-district games and if it is hated after three or four years, you just undo the vote and everyone falls back into their conference.

In just a few years half of the games will have to be played at some time other than Friday nights. There won't be enough officials to do Friday night games only. If that happens....travel will become less of an issue.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:32 pm

It’s my understanding, and this may be incorrect, that your district finish will determine who you match up with in a different district. The #4 from one district would match up with #1 from a different district. The districts matched up against each other wound be pre-determined. The first two games will have no bearing on any of that. Just your district record will determine your finish within the district.

I’d be very interested to see what SHG and other CS8 schools think. From someone on the outside of their situation, it would make no sense to me if they voted for districts. They have a competitive conference and very reasonable travel. Their conference is definitely not an example of why districts have been proposed.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by morrisfan Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:58 pm

I wonder how many people from certain schools will be in on the vote. Is it primarily the AD? Do they consult with the principal and superintendent? Does the Board weigh in?

Depending on that may determine the vote.

Looking at it solely from Morris's point of view, I think I would vote yes.

morrisfan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:55 am

Principals do the voting, some consult with their Coaches & AD's, some do not. Twisted Evil
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 4a(6afornet)north Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:43 am

morrisfan wrote:I wonder how many people from certain schools will be in on the vote.  Is it primarily the AD?  Do they consult with the principal and superintendent?  Does the Board weigh in?

Depending on that may determine the vote.

Looking at it solely from Morris's point of view, I think I would vote yes.

I would agree.....lost count of the number of conference changes Morris has been in the last 20 years

4a(6afornet)north
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:49 am

Each school has a specific IHSA representative...some schools it's the a.d., some schools it's the principal. And yes, some administrators do not talk with the FB coaches regarding this...which is shocking...but not that shocking if you know what I mean.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:44 am

Both my principal and AD have been in contact with me about it. In fact it was more of a formal meeting where they asked me Line by Line what the feeling was on each of those proposals.

I know we will be voting for Districts.

couple of reasons.

The VVC is volatile. With Hoopeston and Milford both going through transitions in the past few years, this has left us scrambling for games. The other schools on our NON-conference schedules have not really been a good fit.

In the past few years we have played some mismatched games that do not make any sense other than it was just a way to get us a game. Schools too big (Newton, Watseka, PBL) Schools too far away (Cerro Gordo, Warrensburg, South Newton, Decatur Lutheran, Arthur.) In the mandated cross over games with the Sangamon Valley (since we are the southern most school) are going to always be driving over an hour. In some cases 2 and in one case 3 hours.

Or schools that have gone away. (Schlarman, Hoopeston, East Central, Milford)

We wind up traveling anyways, so why not do it and play schools your same size. Us and Salt Fork are the only 1A teams in our conference right now. Because of all the closed conferences and strive for 5, we cannot get some teams that are our size to play us despite being under 50 miles away.

I am more concerned with the new rule regarding 2 games per week being fully implemented next year. That will have a huge impact on teams not playing underclass games around here.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:55 am

general maximus wrote: Schools too far away (Cerro Gordo, Warrensburg, South Newton, Decatur Lutheran, Arthur.)  
It looks like districts won't solve that issue for you as this is a predicted district for you-
Central A&M
Macon (Meridian)
Tri-County (Oakland)
Martinsville
Toledo (Cumberland)
Catlin (Salt Fork)
Georgetown (Ridge Farm)
Arcola
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:34 pm

That's the issue...I totally respect the problem of finding teams that are in your wheel-house to play and the problem of scheduling etc. We've had our share of issues here at Salem for years, well before I got here. There are just so many things about this that I fear administrators will jump on because they're looking for a quick fix, but at the end of the day, it's just going to create more problems. I don't like surrendering control of your schedule to the IHSA.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
general maximus wrote: Schools too far away (Cerro Gordo, Warrensburg, South Newton, Decatur Lutheran, Arthur.)  
It looks like districts won't solve that issue for you as this is a predicted district for you-
Central A&M
Macon (Meridian)
Tri-County (Oakland)
Martinsville
Toledo (Cumberland)
Catlin (Salt Fork)
Georgetown (Ridge Farm)
Arcola

At least they will be our size . Nothing like playing PBL and Clifton right out of the gate. (We got lucky against CC this year and played them week one when they were really young. We would not have beaten them later in the year)

CAM 100 CCentral 96
Macon 93 Momence 108
Toledo 75 Oblong 79
Tri C 44 Hoop 41
Martin 54 PBL 58
Arcola 53 BH 39

I see your point about the drive not being closer, but it is not much further either. Our six furthest games are 421 and the proposed districts are 419. We already will play SF in both scenarios and would likely keep the Westville game as our "non" district game along with Oakwood. We know we are gonna play Seneca that is 166 miles away and Dwight that is 127 respectively away in the near future.

So for us, it is similar travel and similar size schools while being able to keep the conferences intact regarding the other sports.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm

If this was stated previously my apologies, but when is the actual vote and when we will know if it passed or not?
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:11 pm

I feel your Pain General. Our location not too far from the Indiana border does little to help things. We arent a team located in the middle of the state that can reach teams from all angles.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:32 pm

The window to vote begins today and schools can vote up to December 17 (only once of course:)

So my question to you Bighitter, what are you guys thinking? If districts are passed, your geographic location could be a good thing or it also could not be.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next