Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IHSFCA Clinic

+9
center
OldTitan
Pike Bishop
Head Idiot
sammy hagar
wolverine55
net
Teetime
tito-landrum
13 posters

Go down

IHSFCA Clinic Empty IHSFCA Clinic

Post by tito-landrum Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:36 pm

Looking over the speaker list for the IHSFCA next week and just realized there are no U of I coaches on the schedule. Wondering if they were asked or if they declined? I believe almost every college in IL is represented except for the Illini.
tito-landrum
tito-landrum
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

IHSFCA Clinic Empty Re: IHSFCA Clinic

Post by Teetime Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:42 pm

Is the University of Illinois the only college in Illinois that is in the middle of a football season?

I'll bet they weren't counting on that when the clinic was scheduled.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tito-landrum Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:47 pm

I thought the same thing, but Northwestern, Wyoming and Maryland have coaches speaking.
tito-landrum
tito-landrum
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by net Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:03 pm

i was asked by jake to speak on special teams but i declined.

<add wise cracks>
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:08 pm

I saw the lineup, but was wondering how many of those college coaches would actually be able to speak. I'm sort of expecting a lot of them to last-minute "opt out" as the cool saying is now-a-days.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by sammy hagar Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:23 pm

The University of Illinois Staff was asked multiple times to speak and may very well have been the first staff asked to speak. I believe there was concern about in season now but they were given multiple time slots to choose from . Other staff didn't hesitate to say yes. You can read whatever you want into that.

I myself am tired that this staff blames the HS coaches for kids not going to U of I. They must build the relationships with the kids. If they offer an instate kid but they are the 7 or 8th offer and its two months before signing day........ They also should realize how they treat our kids when they get there are important too.

If they don't build relationships with coaches that's on them as well.

sammy hagar
Bee-otch

tito-landrum and general maximus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:35 pm

I don't think it's a secret there's a bit of a rift between the UofI staff and the association. Heck, people were talking about it back in 18 when I last went to the clinic.

(Well, really when anyone last went to the clinic.)
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:50 pm

sammy hagar wrote:The University of Illinois Staff was asked multiple times to speak and may very well have been the first staff asked to speak.  I believe there was concern about in season now but they were given multiple time slots to choose from . Other staff didn't hesitate to say yes. You can read whatever you want into that.

I myself am tired that this staff blames the HS coaches for kids not going to U of I. They must build the relationships with the kids. If they offer an instate kid but they are the 7 or 8th offer and its two months before signing day........ They also should realize how they treat our kids when they get there are important too.

If they don't build relationships with coaches that's on them as well.

I agree with you on building relationships with coaches.
They did a poor job recruiting a couple of kids at our school.
I have the opportunity to see the facilities of other universities around the country the last few years. Illinois are like the peasants' quarters compared to other schools. Facilities are a factor in recruiting.
I also had to spend a lot of time in Champaign due to my parents' health and I do not see the fascination with Champaign.
It is a glorified Macomb.
History, the two top players in the program's history played in the early '20's and early '60's. Ask most people to name a great Illinois Football team, they either could not answer you or would have to take some time to think.
Combined with a traditional mediocre to poor program, why would a good in-state football player want to go to Illinois?

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

general maximus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:39 pm

Pike Bishop wrote:Combined with a traditional mediocre to poor program, why would a good in-state football player want to go to Illinois?

For an education?

I mean, I'm not arguing with anyone, Illinois is not, and never has been a football mecca. Their coaches are probably full of themselves for some reason. But, Illinois is still a great school from which to graduate academically.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:13 pm

Teetime wrote:
Pike Bishop wrote:Combined with a traditional mediocre to poor program, why would a good in-state football player want to go to Illinois?

For an education?

I mean, I'm not arguing with anyone, Illinois is not, and never has been a football mecca. Their coaches are probably full of themselves for some reason. But, Illinois is still a great school from which to graduate academically.

I will agree that academically, Illinois is a fine university.
I started to follow/support Illinois football when Jim Valek was the coach. For 40+ years, good and (more) bad I supported them. The last year of the Zook era I could not take it any more, the ineptitude, dreaming up new and exotic ways to loose games. Combine this with how they poorly recruited/treated a national elite track athlete I coached and my son who was a national elite. Both wanted to compete for the Orange and Blue until they talked to their coaches who were arrogant tools. With how poorly they recruited another football I coached (who went to a another BIG10 school and had a good career), stories I have heard about their current staff, I have a pretty sour opinion of Illinois football/athletics.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:16 pm

Teetime wrote:

For an education?

Do you think the top tier football talent choose schools based on the education the can receive?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:23 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:

For an education?

Do you think the top tier football talent choose schools based on the education the can receive?

You misread the question. We were talking about “a good in-state football player”.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:30 pm

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
Teetime wrote:

For an education?

You misread the question. We were talking about “a good in-state football player”.
Again, if that kid is a 4/5 star recruit, do you think an education is his #1 priority.

And, thousands of Illinoisans are leaving annually without opportunities in other states. Why would their children choose to stay here?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:25 pm

Here's the crazy thing about recruiting in my mind - very consistently, year-to-year in the NCAA student athlete survey 75% - 80% of Division I football players say they believe they will go pro. That survey includes kids from all of Division I - from the MAC to the SEC. I don't know how we fix that kind of delusional thinking.

So, no, sadly I do not think education is a priority for these kids overall.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

general maximus, net and center like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:54 pm

OldTitan wrote:Here's the crazy thing about recruiting in my mind - very consistently, year-to-year in the NCAA student athlete survey 75% - 80% of Division I football players say they believe they will go pro. That survey includes kids from all of Division I - from the MAC to the SEC. I don't know how we fix that kind of delusional thinking.

I agree, overall. But for the 20% to 25% who are realistic, education still might be a priority. Otherwise, why would Northwestern get good players, or Vanderbilt? We were talking about "good players" and what would attract them to Illinois. I still think there are 10 recruits Illinois gets every year that make education a priority. They might 1 and 2 star kids but they are good.

Does Northwestern get 4 and 5 star recruits?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by center Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:24 pm

OldTitan wrote:Here's the crazy thing about recruiting in my mind - very consistently, year-to-year in the NCAA student athlete survey 75% - 80% of Division I football players say they believe they will go pro. That survey includes kids from all of Division I - from the MAC to the SEC. I don't know how we fix that kind of delusional thinking.

75% - 80% of Division I football players say they believe they will go pro.

I am surprised that survey number isn't even higher than that.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghengis Khan Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Found it interesting that Sam LaPorta for Highland really gave Illinois the business on Saturday, after the comments about recruiting instate kids. I don't think Illinois even recruited him that hard.

Ghengis Khan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:58 pm

We played them in basketball his senior year...when they were here for the regional, I had a convo with one of their assistant BB coaches...he said the Illinois FB staff hardly had any contact with him. Now that was the basketball staff saying that, but it wasn't the first southwestern IL kid they've failed to reach out to with any real interest. He's an NFL player...right now.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:59 pm

Back to the clinic, the line up looks very solid. A lot of different topics and areas for guys to dive into. I'm hoping they'll all be recorded to tap into later. I like many won't have time to hit them all live. Does anyone know if they will be?

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by tito-landrum Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:03 pm

per https://www.ihsfca.com/news_article/show/1125362 - "All of the zoom clinic presentations will be recorded, so if you are unable to watch them live you will be able to watch them later!"
tito-landrum
tito-landrum
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:09 pm

[quote="tito-landrum"]per https://www.ihsfca.com/news_article/show/1125362 - "All of the zoom clinic presentations will be recorded, so if you are unable to watch them live you will be able to watch them later!"[/quote

I agree that it is a solid lineup with a lot of good presenters. That is great that they are being recorded so we can watch them later. I am hoping to catch a presentation here and there but weekends have been crazy lately.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by tito-landrum Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:55 am

From the News Gazette - Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald is one of the speakers. So is Maryland’s Mike Locksley. And Miami (Ohio) coach Chuck Martin. They all have games scheduled this weekend, but were happy to take the time to be part of the show.

“Fitz has always been always been committed to our association and our clinic,” Jacobs said. “He and (Illinois State coach) Brock Spack will do whatever for our association.”

One school not participating this year: Illinois.
Why not?
“We have our season right now,” Illinois coach Lovie Smith said Tuesday. “That’s what we’re concentrating on right now.”
tito-landrum
tito-landrum
Bee-otch

OSUBucks and net like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:57 am

This is a really bad look...unfortunately, it seems to be a consistent one. I've always enjoyed the clinic and most years get a lot of nuggets to use. I have not enjoyed the UI coaches presentations, when they give them, since Lovie took over.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:17 pm

tito-landrum wrote:From the News Gazette - Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald is one of the speakers. So is Maryland’s Mike Locksley. And Miami (Ohio) coach Chuck Martin. They all have games scheduled this weekend, but were happy to take the time to be part of the show.

“Fitz has always been always been committed to our association and our clinic,” Jacobs said. “He and (Illinois State coach) Brock Spack will do whatever for our association.”

Why not?
“We have our season right now,” Illinois coach Lovie Smith said Tuesday. “That’s what we’re concentrating on right now.”

Lovie doesn't care. He just wants the paycheck and will be heading down to Florida by midnight Saturday. Us HS coaches mean nothing to him. A few years ago at the HOF banquet, he said some stock message on how we impact the lives of kids. He had no passion and no expression, one minute later it was over.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:37 pm

dusty7 wrote:
tito-landrum wrote:From the News Gazette - Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald is one of the speakers. So is Maryland’s Mike Locksley. And Miami (Ohio) coach Chuck Martin. They all have games scheduled this weekend, but were happy to take the time to be part of the show.

Why not?

Lovie doesn't care.  He just wants the paycheck and will be heading down to Florida by midnight Saturday. Us HS coaches mean nothing to him.  A few years ago at the HOF banquet, he said some stock message on how we impact the lives of kids.  He had no passion and no expression, one minute later it was over.  

I think you're observations on Lovie are spot on. Pat Fitzgerald is a great guy. I'm not surprised that he participates.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down