Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bracket talk

+13
mc140
morrisfan
newcom
ramblinman
general maximus
illinipete
OldTitan
19delta
Head Idiot
Doctor D
ging
Reggie
Bigshot85
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bracket talk - Page 2 Empty Re: Bracket talk

Post by Bigshot85 Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:28 pm

morrisfan wrote:
Bigshot85 wrote:Never thought I would say Elmwood Park very well could make it to the quarterfinals in 5a.  Though I know nothing at all about Chicago Payton or Evergreen Park so if Elmwood Park faces either in the second round we shall see.

After watching too many games of Morris versus Elmwood and Evergreen Park, I would agree.  I wouldn't have thought we would ever see either in the quarterfinals of a 16 team tournament - let alone 32.
Both schools have always been in a rough spot as far as losing kids to the Cathloic schools in the area. Evergreen Park loses kids to the Southside Catholic schools. Elmwood Park loses a lot of kids to IC Catholic, Fenwick, St. Pat's, and I believe Naz is starting to make it's way into Elmwood Park grabbing kids.

I belive a few years back Evergreen Park had a few decent runs in the playoffs making it to the quarters and I even think to the Semi one year in 4a. Then again they played in the north bracket with a lot of CPS schools. I remember everyone use to schedule Elmwood Park as the homecoming game because that was a guarantee victory.
Bigshot85
Bigshot85
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:44 am

morrisfan wrote:
Bigshot85 wrote:Never thought I would say Elmwood Park very well could make it to the quarterfinals in 5a.  Though I know nothing at all about Chicago Payton or Evergreen Park so if Elmwood Park faces either in the second round we shall see.

After watching too many games of Morris versus Elmwood and Evergreen Park, I would agree.  I wouldn't have thought we would ever see either in the quarterfinals of a 16 team tournament - let alone 32.

No one lost more kids on Southside to CCL schools than Evergreen when I was growing up. A lot of talented kids at multiple schools on a yearly basis. My senior year they lost to Kaneland in the quarters and there were at least 2 D1 football players from that neighborhood not at Evergreen.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:48 am

mc140 wrote:
morrisfan wrote:

No one lost more kids on Southside to CCL schools than Evergreen when I was growing up. A lot of talented kids at multiple schools on a yearly basis. My senior year they lost to Kaneland in the quarters and there were at least 2 D1 football players from that neighborhood not at Evergreen.

Not sure what it's like now, but back in the day, Evergreen was very Catholic. Bernadette, Redeemer, and Martyrs are all Catholic parishes located within the boundaries of Evergreen Park and its 20,000 population. Plus, you've got people from Evergreen who consider their parishes to be Fisher and Barnabas which are technically located in Chicago. Martyrs and Redeemer are both within short walking distance of Rice and MacAuley.

What I'm getting at is that Evergreen had a ton of kids in the local Catholic elementary schools. I'm not so sure it is correct to say that Evergreen Pk lost a ton of kids to CCL schools (and Marist) since so many of them were Catholics in the Catholic school system to begin with. But, if you tell me that there were lots of kids from the public elementary school system that went to those Catholic high schools, then that's different.

ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Man, if people could at least understand a rudimentary grasp of how IHSA "seeds" are "given" in the bracket, that would be cool.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Man, if people could at least understand a rudimentary grasp of how IHSA "seeds" are "given" in the bracket, that would be cool.

my theory on this is that many high school football observers only pay attention to the whole playoff process for a 2 or 3 year window of time (when their kid is playing).  so the turnover is pretty high year in and year out.  the long timers are aware of how it all goes down.  most of them, at least.

btw, don't get me started with playoff points. Evil or Very Mad
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by niewi 24 Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:33 pm

ging wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:Man, if people could at least understand a rudimentary grasp of how IHSA "seeds" are "given" in the bracket, that would be cool.

my theory on this is that many high school football observers only pay attention to the whole playoff process for a 2 or 3 year window of time (when their kid is playing).  so the turnover is pretty high year in and year out.  the long timers are aware of how it all goes down.  most of them, at least.

btw, don't get me started with playoff points.  Evil or Very Mad

How long have they used playoff points? I assume it was around when they used to use the old football enrollment numbers, which never made any sense to me.
niewi 24
niewi 24
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Richards starting defense has given up two tds this year. One week one and the second when they were already up 42-0 in the second quarter week 4. Can Yorkville make that game competitive?

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:12 pm

I fully expect Richards to win but Yorkville isn't a snooze. they are big up front, good qb, and no one goes both ways. they wont get clocked, id guess Richards is a 2td favorite.

Did I read the games correct, is there not a single game on Friday?

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:16 pm

I see now there is 3

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:28 am

wilky wrote:I fully expect Richards to win but Yorkville isn't a snooze. they are big up front, good qb, and no one goes both ways. they wont get clocked, id guess Richards is a 2td favorite.

Two games both 6a. Yorkville at Richards, Shepard at Normal West.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:56 am

ging wrote:

btw, don't get me started with playoff points.  Evil or Very Mad
The whole phenomenon of bitching about seeds like this is March and the NCAA is really annoying.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 4a(6afornet)north Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:10 am

mc140 wrote:
wilky wrote:I fully expect Richards to win but Yorkville isn't a snooze. they are big up front, good qb, and no one goes both ways. they wont get clocked, id guess Richards is a 2td favorite.

Two games both 6a. Yorkville at Richards, Shepard at Normal West.

North Boone at Lisle tonight also in 3A

4a(6afornet)north
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:28 pm

mc140 wrote:
morrisfan wrote:

i guess if anybody on here knows what they are talking about it is you. you are the salt of the earth to me! good luck tomorrow!
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:49 am

Do I win a prize? Yorkville lead out the gate, tied in the late 3Q and then lost by exactly 2tds.

I imagine vegas will call me throwing tons of money at me to be a professional handicapper now

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:57 pm

wilky wrote:

Do I win a prize? Yorkville lead out the gate, tied in the late 3Q and then lost by exactly 2tds.

I imagine vegas will call me throwing tons of money at me to be a professional handicapper now

Yorkville had the right idea, abandon the run and try to throw over them. Normal West will be clocked by the second quarter.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Downs (Tri Valley). Does anyone have the story on them? 5-4 in the regular season but they are a 2a quarterfinalist.

4 losses were to really good teams. They have Decatur (St. Teresa) next weekend in a rematch of a Week 1 game in which Downs lost 27-14.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:28 pm

19delta wrote:Downs (Tri Valley). Does anyone have the story on them? 5-4 in the regular season but they are a 2a quarterfinalist.

4 losses were to really good teams. They have Decatur (St. Teresa) next weekend in a rematch of a Week 1 game in which Downs lost 27-14.
Really good program that is exceptionally well coached and are to the point now that long runs are expected every year. We're to the point where you either have talent laden teams making rare deep runs, or programs that expect to be here. Tri Valley is the latter.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2