State Championship Talk

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

State Championship Talk

Post by Ghengis Khan on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Anyone have any particular interest in any of the games?

Monticello vs. Byron should be an interesting clash of styles. Looking forward to seeing that one. Anyone know anything about Byron?

Montini and JCA in a battle of powerhouses, anyone giving JCA a shot?

Can Crete keep their heater going? Seems unlikely, but so did the last few rounds.

Ghengis Khan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Re: State Championship Talk

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:50 pm

I'm interested in CPC against Forreston, primarily because CPC is local to my area. Have not seen film or even highlights of Forreston but based on what I can find it should be a very good game.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:58 pm

I have interest in 1-3A. After that, I don't have a lot of interest in which Chicago school wins what.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:06 pm

not debating or trying to push this in a week before its allowed but just an observation.

even with a multiplier and a success factor 7 of the 10 teams playing for a championship in class 4-8A are private. only one of those 5 classes doesn't have a private playing and its likely cause naz was successed up to 7a. if scn hadn't beat mtc in 2OT there would be 4 of the 5 classes without a public. as it sits 70% (almost 80%) of those classes are being represented by privates.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:10 pm

Ghengis Khan wrote:
Can Crete keep their heater going? Seems unlikely, but so did the last few rounds.

I was shocked when crete won their first game the way they did, I was dumbfounded when they won in the second round, I was flabbergasted when they won their quarter, I cant comprehend their semi final win. I think heat runs out, mainly cause I don't have an adjective left in my vocab that would describe them winning state. good for them though, way to turn a season around. I think its a cool story.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:31 pm

wilky wrote:not debating or trying to push this in a week before its allowed but just an observation.

even with a multiplier and a success factor 7 of the 10 teams playing for a championship in class 4-8A are private. only one of those 5 classes doesn't have a private playing and its likely cause naz was successed up to 7a. if scn hadn't beat mtc in 2OT there would be 4 of the 5 classes without a public. as it sits 70% (almost 80%) of those classes are being represented by privates.

publics need to work harder and coach better. Very Happy Rolling Eyes
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:36 pm

ging wrote:
wilky wrote:not debating or trying to push this in a week before its allowed but just an observation.

publics need to work harder and coach better. Very Happy Rolling Eyes
To be devil's advocate here- if I had the monetary means to, and my kids were in a majority of the state's public schools, I'd send them to a private as well.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:48 pm

All of the games on Friday's slate look to be very good games.

I know nothing of the 1A game.

2A is a pick-em in my opinion.  I give GCMS the edge due to last season but you can never count MF out and they may have enough speed to give GCMS fits.

3A reminds me a lot of the Wilmington-Willilamsville game.  Two great programs.  Two great coaches.  A clash of styles.  Monticello has speed and spreads the ball all over the field while Byron is big and runs power football.  It's the Sages first title game in school history but the Cully will have them ready to go. Neither team has been challenged all season but Byron does play a little bit of a tougher schedule than Monticello in my opinion.  

4A a rematch from earlier this season where IC pulled it off with a TD in the last minute of the game.  IC was missing their QB.  Mac does a good job of mixing in run and pass which is easy to do with King at their RB.  IC is just as good as they have been the past 3 years.  

Each of these games looks to be a gem.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:58 pm

dusty7 wrote:All of the games on Friday's slate look to be very good games.

I know nothing of the 1A game.

2A is a pick-em in my opinion.  I give GCMS the edge due to last season but you can never count MF out and they may have enough speed to give GCMS fits.

3A reminds me a lot of the Wilmington-Willilamsville game.  Two great programs.  Two great coaches.  A clash of styles.  Monticello has speed and spreads the ball all over the field while Byron is big and runs power football.  It's the Sages first title game in school history but the Cully will have them ready to go.  Neither team has been challenged all season but Byron does play a little bit of a tougher schedule than Monticello in my opinion.  

4A a rematch from earlier this season where IC pulled it off with a TD in the last minute of the game.  IC was missing their QB.  Mac does a good job of mixing in run and pass which is easy to do with King at their RB.  IC is just as good as they have been the past 3 years.  

Each of these games looks to be a gem.
Maroa is actually enormous this year. It is one of their slowest teams in recent history.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:07 pm

You are right, wilky. Those private schools did a heck of a job this year and they deserve a pat on the back. Nice of you to make that observation.

Last year those schools only had three of the 16 finalists. Typically it's more than three but well under seven of the final 16.

Last edited by Teetime on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by illinipete on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Byron is oddly big and fast!
illinipete
I Pete my Pants

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:20 pm

wolverine55 wrote:I'm interested in CPC against Forreston, primarily because CPC is local to my area.  Have not seen film or even highlights of Forreston but based on what I can find it should be a very good game.

Forreston is a great story.

Lena-Winslow was a heavy favorite all season to repeat as state champs and smucked Forreston 36-16 in Week 2. The conventional wisdom on Forreston was that their window closed last year. Pre-season prediction was that they would go 6-3 or 5-4. For them to win back-to-back-to-back tough, hard-fought playoff games which included taking Lena-Winslow down in the semifinals, it's just amazing. And done with a first-year HFC. Incredible story.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:24 pm

I saw GCMS play the last two weeks. They are, IMO, the best 2a team I have ever seen (I'm not including M-F because I have not seen them). GCMS has no weak spots. Every player on the field for them at every single position is a great player. That's pretty rare for a 2a football team.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by #35 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 pm

Teetime wrote:

You are right, wilky. Those private schools did a heck of a job this year and they deserve a pat on the back. Nice of you to make that observation.

Last year those schools only had three of the 16 finalists. Typically it's more than three but well under seven of the final 16.

Since the start of 8 classes in 2001

Privates in the finals out of 16:
3-4-4-5-5-6-3-5-4-6-5-5-5-4-6-4-3-7

Privates winning titles out of 8:
3-4-3-5-3-3-2-4-1-3-3-3-3-3-4-1-1-3 (or 4 if Naz wins)

This year has 1 more private school in the finals since the highest total. Three titles are guaranteed, which is average since 2001. The figures are slightly, but not egregiously, above average.

Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:21 pm

#35 wrote:
Teetime wrote:

This year has 1 more private school in the finals since the highest total. Three titles are guaranteed, which is average since 2001. The figures are slightly, but not egregiously, above average.

Thanks for putting this up. As I thought this year is just a statistical aberration.

Last edited by OSUBucks on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:05 am

Head Idiot wrote:I have interest in 1-3A.  After that, I don't have a lot of interest in which Chicago school wins what.

I am the complete opposite. Anything below 4a probably wont be watched.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 am

[/quote]
Maroa is actually enormous this year.  It is one of their slowest teams in recent history.[/quote]

I only saw the game against Tuscola on NFHS and they didn't look to slow to me but maybe it was the internet making them look faster.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:53 am

Oh, I'm not saying they're slow, just not your normal MFer team that is pretty much based entirely on speed.  They can crush you too.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by morrisfan on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:04 pm

#35 wrote:
Teetime wrote:

Are any of the schools going to get bumped up next year based on their appearance this year? I don't pay enough attention to know who makes it every year.

morrisfan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:27 am

Elmherst IC, SHG and Nazareth we’re playing up due to success. SHG will drop back down next year since they have not trophied for a few seasons. IC and Naz are in their first years in their new divisions so they won’t go up again until they trophy in 4a or 7a respectively again in 2019 or 2020.

It doesn’t look to me like any of the other five private schools in the finals will have to move up because of their 2018 success. If they get in the finals again next year they would go up.

Edit- I guess I’m not sure about Montini. The 2018 success may have triggered them up to 6A in 2019 but I don’t think so.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor D on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:52 am

Would Mac be subject to anything?

They won the title in 3A in 2015, now have an appearance in 2018. Thought it was a 4 year window.
Doctor D
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Doctor D wrote:Would Mac be subject to anything?  

They won the title in 3A in 2015, now have an appearance in 2018.  Thought it was a 4 year window.  

I'm not going back to read the rule again, but I think you are right...it is a four year window. It is written so that the success has to be in one class during that window. A trophy in 3A and a trophy in 4A within the four year window does not trigger the "penalty". Two trophies in 3a would have forced them to 4A. Two in 4A will force them to 5A.

That's the way I remember it anyway.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:15 pm

I think the success formula will be now taken over a 2 year period so basically you would have to win back to back titles to get moved up.  Mac wouldnt get moved up if they won heck might drop back to 3A next year.  IC I believe would be moved up again if they win Friday.

http://www.ihsa.org/documents/adv%20minutes/17-18/18-class-minutes-0425.pdf

Hell who knows these things are never worded very well and always confusing.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by tm on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:25 pm

We’ll see how it finishes, but JCA RB should have took a knee at the 10 and game is over. Now, montini I has at least a chance
tm
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:35 pm

tm wrote:We’ll see how it finishes, but JCA RB should have took a knee at the 10 and game is over. Now, montini I has at least a chance

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I get that if I were a teenager who saw green in front of me, my mind would go blank and I'd run to the back of the endzone
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next