Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CPL shenanigans

+6
SIFBCoach7
wolverine55
newcom
Head Idiot
Teetime
ging
10 posters

Go down

CPL shenanigans Empty CPL shenanigans

Post by ging Fri May 10, 2019 10:55 am

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-rahm-emanuel-orr-high-school-basketball-20190429-story.html

“Lou is a virtuoso coach despite Orr’s weak academic record,” Koldyke wrote. “Based on his reputation, he can recruit outstanding athletes to come to Orr to play for him.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Koldyke went on to lay the groundwork for his proposal to build a new gym at Phillips, noting how the high school had only 12 kids try out for football when AUSL first took it over and now has 90 trying out at a school with only 300 boys.

“Because of his success, Lou will be recruited by schools throughout Cook County and perhaps elsewhere,” Koldyke wrote. “I would like to keep him in the AUSL family and create for basketball the same kind of recruiting success that Phillips Academy has demonstrated with its football program.”

i know it's not a shock to anyone here, but it is eye opening to see this guy use the R word so openly
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

CPL shenanigans Empty Re: CPL shenanigans

Post by Teetime Fri May 10, 2019 4:18 pm

That's nice that a CPS school and it's kids get a brand new gym.

Do coaches really care if a gym is new or old? Do kids? I'm asking in general, but this story makes me wonder.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri May 10, 2019 5:15 pm

Personally, I'd say no. The only facility I gave a crap about investing money into was the weight room.

Now, after having heard a football HC complain for an entire season about the field's bleachers, I would say that yes, there certainly are people who care.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Tue May 14, 2019 9:54 am

Recruiting an incoming Freshman is NOT ILLEGAL as long as you only talk about the benefits of your school.

Now Recruiting an existing High School Player, the CPL does not seem to care that it is against the rules.
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Tue May 14, 2019 5:24 pm

newcom, do you think a new gym attracts some HS kids? Is that a more attractive lure than playing with his/her buddies at the school to which they are assigned?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Wed May 15, 2019 9:17 am

My brother is a women's junior college coach, so this may not be applicable, but he says the amount of scholarship money he can offer players is much more important than the quality of their facilities. Then again...maybe the scholarship money part is applicable here! Laughing
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 am

I think nice facilities plays a small part in it, put playing with their friends / travel teams seems to be the trend IMHO.
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 am

I don't know if facilities actually play a part in where a kid goes to school, but schools seem to think so. Look how much money places are dumping into facilities. Turf fields for 1A schools, field houses for 3/4A schools, etc. The facilities arms race is still in full bloom.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 am

We have a few schools in Iowa opening facilities or completing campus-wide projects that are upwards of $10 million dollars. Now, we're an open enrollment state, but I still don't know how important a part it plays. We lose more students than we gain to a neighboring school district...and our facilities both educational and athletically are far better than theirs.

But, we're a much bigger district than them and I'm not sure where this came from but people around here seem to think we have a bullying problem (which I don't think we do) and bullying doesn't happen at smaller schools.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 am

wolverine55 wrote:We have a few schools in Iowa opening facilities or completing campus-wide projects that are upwards of $10 million dollars.  Now, we're an open enrollment state, but I still don't know how important a part it plays.  We lose more students than we gain to a neighboring school district...and our facilities both educational and athletically are far better than theirs.  

But, we're a much bigger district than them and I'm not sure where this came from but people around here seem to think we have a bullying problem (which I don't think we do) and bullying doesn't happen at smaller schools.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Wed May 15, 2019 2:47 pm

I don't get it, HI, but there are plenty of people around here that believe it.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 Wed May 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Head Idiot wrote:I don't know if facilities actually play a part in where a kid goes to school, but schools seem to think so.  Look how much money places are dumping into facilities.  Turf fields for 1A schools, field houses for 3/4A schools, etc.  The facilities arms race is still in full bloom.

Wait until you see Tolono Unity's remodel. It will be at the top of 3A/4A in central IL, if not south of I-80 (southern IL).
SIFBCoach7
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed May 15, 2019 3:09 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:I don't know if facilities actually play a part in where a kid goes to school, but schools seem to think so.  Look how much money places are dumping into facilities.  Turf fields for 1A schools, field houses for 3/4A schools, etc.  The facilities arms race is still in full bloom.

Wait until you see Tolono Unity's remodel.  It will be at the top of 3A/4A in central IL, if not south of I-80 (southern IL).
Is it 1% tax money?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu May 30, 2019 2:04 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:

Wait until you see Tolono Unity's remodel.  It will be at the top of 3A/4A in central IL, if not south of I-80 (southern IL).
http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/baseball/2019-05-30/unity-future-taking-shape.html
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu May 30, 2019 2:50 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
SIFBCoach7 wrote:

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/baseball/2019-05-30/unity-future-taking-shape.html

That's an impressive accomplishment by that community. I remember years ago my mother, who then lived in Massillon, Ohio, was upset that the property tax referendum on the ballot was passed. The taxes were used to pay for upgrading facilities, including building a new stadium for the Massillon Tigers. It is quite impressive and will seat over 20,000 fans. Massillon could just as well be in Texas as the locals are football crazy over there. My mom doesn't have the zeal for HS football that most of the locals have. She told me that she was going to start rooting for the Canton McKinley Bulldogs, Massillon's crosstown rivals, whenever the two schools played each other every year. Laughing
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:03 am

The Unity facilities to look to be top knotch for a small school. Now correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Tolono one of the lowest salary jobs in the Chambana area? Several years ago I remember being very surprised at how low the salary was. Maybe it's changed in recent years but I wonder what the teachers think with all this money being spent on sports and not them.

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:45 pm

dusty7 wrote:The Unity facilities to look to be top knotch for a small school.  Now correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Tolono one of the lowest salary jobs in the Chambana area?  Several years ago I remember being very surprised at how low the salary was.  Maybe it's changed in recent years but I wonder what the teachers think with all this money being spent on sports and not them.

I don't know what they pay, but very few people ever seem to leave. I don't remember ever seeing them have a SS or Driver Ed job open in the past 15ish years.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:49 pm

According to their financial reports, Hamilton's making $100k+ so, I think they must pay OK.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:09 am

Unity pays very well for "suburban" C-U schools.
SIFBCoach7
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:21 pm

dusty7 wrote:The Unity facilities to look to be top knotch for a small school.  Now correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Tolono one of the lowest salary jobs in the Chambana area?  Several years ago I remember being very surprised at how low the salary was.  Maybe it's changed in recent years but I wonder what the teachers think with all this money being spent on sports and not them.

Sangamon County passed its 1% sales tax. District 186 had all kinds of studies, public forums about improving buildings and athletic facilities. Many of the coaches, teachers, maintain people and administrators I have worked with - don't trust the school district to use the money wisely. Example of this - SHS got a new weight room. Coaches were asked what previous equipment they wanted to keep, what new stuff they wanted, and how do you want to set it up. The coaches input was totally ignored. Squat stations were taken out, 3 jammers (ideal for explosive lifts with girls and weaker kids). One high school gets a field house with a 200m track and the other two high schools get no indoor track or a set up like Rochesters' which is a waste. They will ask for no coaches' input and will probably hire a cheap ass company that will do it wrong.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Pike Bishop wrote:

Sangamon County passed its 1% sales tax. District 186 had all kinds of studies, public forums about improving buildings and athletic facilities. Many of the coaches, teachers, maintain people and administrators I have worked with - don't trust the school district to use the money wisely. Example of this - SHS got a new weight room. Coaches were asked what previous equipment they wanted to keep, what new stuff they wanted, and how do you want to set it up. The coaches input was totally ignored. Squat stations were taken out, 3 jammers (ideal for explosive lifts with girls and weaker kids). One high school gets a field house with a 200m track and the other two high schools get no indoor track or a set up like Rochesters' which is a waste. They will ask for no coaches' input and will probably hire a cheap ass company that will do it wrong.  

One of the schools by us is finishing a new indoor facility after finishing their football field track last year. They refused any input from coaches or the AD. The track was painted wrong twice and they forgot to install an area for shot put. The indoor facility is a four lane 160m track with no AC. If you are going to spend millions of dollars, do it right the first time.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:45 pm

mc140 wrote:
Pike Bishop wrote:

One of the schools by us is finishing a new indoor facility after finishing their football field track last year. They refused any input from coaches or the AD. The track was painted wrong twice and they forgot to install an area for shot put. The indoor facility is a four lane 160m track with no AC. If you are going to spend millions of dollars, do it right the first time.

Thank you! If you are going to it, do it right. Looking at many indoor track facilities in this state - 1. 150m tracks are okay for training but never liked them for competition (a lot of laps, you feel like a hamster in a cage, dangerous exchanges on curves). All indoor tracks that I have seen in Illinois - only one LJ/TJ pit, shot ring, HJ, PV area. In a big meet or Coed, the meet last for ever. We will not go back to Jacksonville Indoor at IC and meets at Principia because of this. Seating at many of the indoor facilities in Illinois is terrible. This leads to parents, "special friends", fans adding to the chaos inside the track. I know I'm comparing this to collegiate meets on indoor tracks I have seen in the South, Great Plains, and the East, But they are very athlete and fan friendly. Living most of my life in Illinois, I have no trust in Illinois politicians, school officials (from either political party), with my tax $$.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Pike, did you vote against the sales tax increase?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:08 am

Teetime wrote:Pike, did you vote against the sales tax increase?

Too late to get in a political argument, besides in the history of Turks no one has ever got you to change your mind. Living in Illinois for most of my life and teaching in District 186 for most of my career, I have seen a lot of money wasted/used unwisely by Democrats and Republicans. 186 has a board member in jail right know over mis-handling other peoples' money where it mysteriously ended up in his pocket.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:36 pm

Pike Bishop wrote:
Teetime wrote:Pike, did you vote against the sales tax increase?

Too late to get in a political argument, besides in the history of Turks no one has ever got you to change your mind. Living in Illinois for most of my life and teaching in District 186 for most of my career, I have seen a lot of money wasted/used unwisely by Democrats and Republicans. 186 has a board member in jail right know over mis-handling other peoples' money where it mysteriously ended up in his pocket.

You are right.

That wasn't much of a fight.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum