Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny Machado sweepstakes...

+2
Head Idiot
19delta
6 posters

Go down

Manny Machado sweepstakes... Empty Manny Machado sweepstakes...

Post by 19delta Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:16 pm

That looks like a CWS hat...

Check out @ChiSoxFanMike’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/ChiSoxFanMike/status/1086069785689870336?s=09
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Manny Machado sweepstakes... Empty Re: Manny Machado sweepstakes...

Post by Head Idiot Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Apparently signed with the Padres today.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:26 pm

The SOX could still get Harper.

They will have to stock-up on diapers in the clubhouse.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:42 pm

I don't think they have any legitimate interest in Harper and he probably has less in them.

At least I hope they don't.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:44 am

Very talented ball player, but enough red flags for me. Not interested in a 10 year deal. Rather stay the course for another year see which youngsters can develop into Major league talent. Dont know if it is in the cards but Id take a swing at Nolan Arenado next offseason.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:04 am

Bighitter11 wrote:Very talented ball player, but enough red flags for me.  Not interested in a 10 year deal.  Rather stay the course for another year see which youngsters can develop into Major league talent.  Dont know if it is in the cards but Id take a swing at Nolan Arenado next offseason.
Of the three, I think he would be the best fit on the South Side.

Mike Trout is about the only person alive I'd try to lock up for as long as possible.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:34 pm

I followed all of the rumors for months and I gotta say not getting manny was a major kick in the balls for me. I don't even like manny, but it woulda been a trend. it wouldna been a sign, a start, a cornerstone even if it didn't work out longterm. it woulda said the sox believe in this and are gonna do whatever possible. now I am totally deflated. this year is a gonna be a 70 win season. to start out with Hahn not only said they were going for manny but he said both, very speficially mentioned the notion of going after both players.... then they whiff on one of the only 26 year old FA with multiple all stars and gold gloves ever to the GD padres. then are automatically out on harper without even pursuing it and declare they couldn't cross the 300 million mark. then eat a turd reinsdorf you were never serious in the first place, you just strung us along cause the market was terrible. then you let some FAs who woulda been good additions slip. Pollock woulda looked great in center. they wanted us to go all in 2 years ago and endure the crap baseball we have when they traded everyone. now they did nothing to better the team, half the prized prospects are flopping because the sox. and now without the marquee player they are the laughing stock.

going forward they gotta hope Arenado doesn't resign before he become a FA, which he wont resign ala harper unless they offer a monster steal likely 35AAV, given his arb number of 26mil.

sign keuchel now.

hope kopech comes back the next randy Johnson. I think magrigal is gonna be great.

hope the catcher from OSU falls to them at 3 in the draft.

trade any asset not locked up long term or arbitration elgiligle. abreau, Alonso, jay, jones can all fetch something if they start hot. Id even offer of moncado, rodon (hurt too much), fulmer if can get anything.

then spend, spend, spend. their payroll is peanuts. if they don't put some vets with these so called high ceiling prospects soon then forget about it.

I think this miss on manny can solely be placed on reinsdorf, but Hahn has to sell him on it. I think if this continues Hahn will walk. I think Hahn wants to put wins on the board and make the playoffs and reinsdorf wants money in his pocket and valuation. I legit think Hahn was mad they didn't guarantee the 300, I think Williams was legit surprised, and I think jerry was happy as a clam. Except I think it backfired on him cause he thought the perception of being in the race was gonna be good enough... until the low level padres won.

eff off jerry

end of rant

edited out my swear words

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:25 am

Meh. Giant free agent signings whiff more often than they hit home. Manny's supremely talented, but how long before he complains about having to play 3rd base again? How long before he just quits playing because he's unhappy like he's done before?

Of the two, Machado was the one I wanted the Sox to get, but I don't think it's a damning one way or the other. Besides Boston or NY, how many teams are currently winning with the old model of signing ridiculous contracts?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:06 pm

Machado would have put more butts in the seats. Like Mack on the Bears, he would have made everyone around him better.

But, how many more butts and how much better? How many more wins do you attribute to his presence on your team? 5? 10? If 10, then do they go .500 instead of 10 games under? Or, if this turns out to be a breakout sort of year for the Sox in terms of competitiveness without Machado, would adding him make them playoff contenders?

I think that the Sox are on a decent track. Most people in baseball agree that the Sox have great young talent on the parent club as well as the farm system. I think their farm system is ranked in the top 3 or 4.

If that breakout year isn't this year, then it will probably be next year. At that time, I think they can look to FAs to help them in making a legit playoff run.

ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Arenado reportedly signs 8 year deal worth 260 with the Rockies.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:31 pm

ramblinman wrote:Machado would have put more butts in the seats.  Like Mack on the Bears, he would have made everyone around him better.  
I think there's a distinct difference between a guy who can single handedly change an offense's ability to do certain things and a guy who will field the ball maybe 7 times a game and hit 4.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:06 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Arenado reportedly signs 8 year deal worth 260 with the Rockies.

He will be about 30 when the deal is over. The SOX will get him then. Four years $900 Million.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:05 pm

The Sox haven't been in the signing broken down old players to huge contracts business since the late 90s. They have traded for quite a few, but not signed any to big contracts since then.

That has more recently been the MO of the Cubs.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:08 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
ramblinman wrote:Machado would have put more butts in the seats.  Like Mack on the Bears, he would have made everyone around him better.  
I think there's a distinct difference between a guy who can single handedly change an offense's ability to do certain things and a guy who will field the ball maybe 7 times a game and hit 4.

I hear ya, and I agree that Mack's influence on the Bears is greater than Machado's would be on the Sox. Still, I think you may be understating the impact of a superstar baseball player like Machado. Opposing managers have to decide to pitch around him or not. Batters on either side of him will see better pitches with him coming up or on base.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:29 pm

I agree, but I don't think the Sox have the guys right now to benefit from a guy like machado.

Albert Belle had one of the greatest offensive seasons ever in the game in 98 and after Thomas got hurt, it didn't matter one iota.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum