Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big10 Football

+17
Teetime
tm
general maximus
guerin
OldTitan
BirdWatcher
mc140
tps
center
19delta
newcom
Head Idiot
dusty7
wolverine55
net
lefty120
OSUBucks
21 posters

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

Big10 Football Empty Big10 Football

Post by OSUBucks Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Earlier this morning I learned that the Big10 announced that they are delaying padded practices for all their schools. OSU opens at Illinois in less than a month. Now I'm hearing that there's a meeting of Big 10 school Presidents sometime today and that a few Presidents favor cancelling the season. I hope that the schools favoring football stand firm. I can't say that I'm real optimistic.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Big10 Football Empty Re: Big10 Football

Post by lefty120 Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:15 pm

I don’t think this is a positive thing that’s for sure.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by net Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:06 pm

sucks.

go to footballscoop.com and checkout clemson's hype video. all for nothing i'd assume.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:47 pm

Joel Klatt makes a pretty good argument for having football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qa-QI1ehdI
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:31 am

Caught just a few minutes of Get Up! on ESPN this morning...sounds like we may have a B10 cancellation as soon as this afternoon...
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:39 pm

Yep B1G is not happening, this is definitely going to have a domino effect on the rest of the conferences and an even larger impact on the future of college athletics. It is going to be tough for the smaller schools to even continue to fund their programs after all of this. These student athletes would be better off on campus but now will likely be back home and not abiding by social distancing regulations.

All in all, this is not good for sports at any level, kids have no place to go or anything to keep them busy and the participation levels are already low for a HS sports and kids are no longer going to be interested and will find other avenues to entertain themselves.

This is never going to go away and this is not learning how to live with the virus but rather living in fear of the virus.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

wolverine55 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Just last Wednesday the Big 10 released their 2020 football schedule and on Saturday they voted to end the season. The virus didn't get any worse during those 3 days. Word is that their lawyers recommended it because of liability issues. The players would be glad to sign legal waivers absolving their school of liability if given the opportunity. I'm hearing the vote was 12-2 with Iowa and Nebraska the only 2 voting for football. I totally agree that the players are safer on campus than home with their families. The players as well as their parents are all for playing football at OSU, that is a fact. Smaller conferences like the MAC might not survive this. I am pretty effing disgusted by this. Those players have been busting their asses preparing for this season and the administrators took it away from them because they don't want to get blamed in case a few players get sick.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:15 pm

OSUBucks wrote:Just last Wednesday the Big 10 released their 2020 football schedule and on Saturday they voted to end the season. The virus didn't get any worse during those 3 days. Word is that their lawyers recommended it because of liability issues. The players would be glad to sign legal waivers absolving their school of liability if given the opportunity. I'm hearing the vote was 12-2 with Iowa and Nebraska the only 2 voting for football. I totally agree that the players are safer on campus than home with their families. The players as well as their parents are all for playing football at OSU, that is a fact. Smaller conferences like the MAC might not survive this. I am pretty effing disgusted by this. Those players have been busting their asses preparing for this season and the administrators took it away from them because they don't want to get blamed in case a few players get sick.

I honestly believe that the decision was made a long time ago, and like everything thing else with COVID, they are scared to make announce a decision too early because of the fallout but just string the people along to give is a false sense of hope.

The kids and young adults keep getting screwed. It is going to be very difficult for society to quit living in fear from this virus.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:05 pm

The latest I'm hearing is that they're looking to delay the season, not end it. There has been a lot of push back today from coaches, boosters as well as politicians.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:39 pm

dusty7 wrote:It is going to be very difficult for society to quit living in fear from this virus.  
The goal is to not quit. It's far easier to control the populace if they cower in fear constantly.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:07 pm

Big 10 just canceled the fall season. Will hope for football in the Spring. Such bullshit!
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:13 pm

There will be no Spring B1G football, nothing will change the current mindset by spring time.

PAC 12 just cancelled all sports until 2021.

Risk will never be 0 but that is now the expectation. 10 years from now people will still be getting COVID and it won't be a big deal, it will be looked at as we look at like the flu or common cold.

Lefty posted an article on mydiocarpathy being a new concern but that can also be caused by the flu, and other Coronaviruses. The experts say it is more likely to happen with COVID, of course if you are starting to look for it a short time after recovery. Examine someone right after the flu, I bet you are it three as well.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:25 pm

Can you imagine explaining the events of 2020 from March until now to a guy of my grandathers' generation (born 1912 and 1922)?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

general maximus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Can you imagine explaining the events of 2020 from March until now to a guy of my grandathers' generation (born 1912 and 1922)?

They wouldn't believe how soft our country has gotten.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:23 pm

dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:11 am

I wonder if Nebraska looks at going back to the Big 12? I never understood their move in the first place and they just historically belong playing Oklahoma and Texas and the rest of the conference.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:59 am

Head Idiot wrote:
I wonder if Nebraska looks at going back to the Big 12? I never understood their move in the first place and they just historically belong playing Oklahoma and Texas and the rest of the conference.

It's too soon to say. Sometime in the next few weeks the SEC, ACC and Big 12 may announce that they're not playing fall football either. Nebraska makes more money playing in the Big 10 than they would make in the Big 12. A big part of the reason for that is the Big Ten Network. If Nebraska did join the Big 12 that would give them an odd number of teams and I'd think they would prefer to have an even number. If the SEC, ACC and Big 12 have a full fall season this year it's going to really damage Big 10 recruiting and take them years to recover IMO.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:38 am

Head Idiot wrote:I wonder if Nebraska looks at going back to the Big 12? I never understood their move in the first place and they just historically belong playing Oklahoma and Texas and the rest of the conference.

$54,000,000 in payments from the Big Ten Conference to each full member in 2018. Nebraska became a full member (for revenue splitting) in 2017. That's more than the SEC schools got and substantially more than the Big 12 revenue sharing.

Nebraska knew what it was doing.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:44 am

Is the plan for the ACC, SEC and Big 12 to play in front of full stadiums or will there be cardboard cut-outs or will they sell every third seat? What are those conferences thinking?

My main interest is in the cheerleaders, no, no I mean the safety of the players and fans.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:41 pm

Teetime wrote:My main interest is in the cheerleaders, no, no I mean the safety of the players and fans.
Exactly and what about the band?? Will they be 6 ft apart for their performances? Inquiring minds want to know Smile
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:07 pm

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:54 pm

I understand Nebraska being pissed. OSU is pissed too. Kevin Warren was a bad hire for the Big10. He handled himself poorly yesterday and avoided answering questions. His son plays football for Mississippi State in the SEC. Will he let his son play after shutting down Big 10 football. Emotions are running high now but in the end I think it's hard for Nebraska to walk away from the Big 10 revenue.
I wonder if Nebraska will ever get back to the glory days of Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne. They aren't close to OSU or Oklahoma. Frost is a brilliant coach but he currently isn't getting enough stud players to compete with the top teams.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:04 pm

In the best of times the Nebraska/Big 10 relationship was awkward. Now it seems completely ass backwards. If they stay, there's really no other reason than $$$. I think being in the conference actually hurts their recruiting as it's kind of shut off some traditional talent pipelines (Texas & California) and hasn't opened new ones. And as to Scott Frost- it's Year 3. That place was near Illinois levels of disaster after Mike Reilly.

I think what is going to happen is the Big 10 and their members and fans are going to bring out their cockiness and dislike of the brazen new guy and Nebraska is going to bring out their cockiness and dislike of being told what to do with their program and eventually they're going to mutually divorce.

https://247sports.com/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-football-Big-Ten-kicked-out-Desmond-Howard-Michigan-Wolverines-150189505/
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:58 pm

In the 15-24 age group which would emcompass college football players, if you do get COVID19 your odds of surviving are 99.98%.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:17 pm

OSUBucks wrote:In the 15-24 age group which would emcompass college football players, if you do get COVID19 your odds of surviving are 99.98%.
It's all about this myocardial stuff and lawsuits at this point.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next