Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Doyle...He gone!

+2
Head Idiot
19delta
6 posters

Go down

Chris Doyle...He gone! Empty Chris Doyle...He gone!

Post by 19delta Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:06 pm

I am surprised it took this long. I thought when he issued a statement last week after the school specifically told him to stay quiet, he would have been fired.

He's walking away with a ton of dough. I'm thinking that it is contingent on him not saying anything else about the incident publicly.

Yahoo Sports: Iowa officially parts ways with embattled strength coach Chris Doyle.
https://sports.yahoo.com/iowa-officially-parts-ways-with-embattled-strength-coach-chris-doyle-155857474.html

19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Chris Doyle...He gone! Empty Re: Chris Doyle...He gone!

Post by Head Idiot Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:35 pm

I continue to be amazed by what is considered racist today.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:37 am

Don’t get me wrong, I know there are some major turds who coach college basketball and football. However, there are also many taking advantage of the current climate to witch-hunt as well.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:32 am

I couldn’t agree more with this above statements.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:11 am

lefty120 wrote:I couldn’t agree more with this above statements.
We agree! Very Happy Very Happy Razz
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 am

Doyle is the same guy who rabdoed the crap out of a bunch of football players back in 2011. He should have been fired ten years ago.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:40 am

Head Idiot wrote:
lefty120 wrote:I couldn’t agree more with this above statements.
We agree! Very Happy Very Happy Razz

Boom!

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:26 pm

What is rabdoed?
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:41 pm

newcom wrote:What is rabdoed?

Rhabdomyolysis.

About 10 years ago, Doyle put players through an insanely intense workout...something completely dumb like doing 100 reps of squats with 50% of the 1RM for time. 13 players developed rhabdomyolysis and had to be hospitalized.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:59 pm

That’s dumb! I don’t recall that. So many used insane conditioning tests back then.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:12 pm

wolverine55 wrote:Don’t get me wrong, I know there are some major turds who coach college basketball and football. However, there are also many taking advantage of the current climate to witch-hunt as well.

that could be true.  but if someone is a good, well-meaning coach, they shouldn't have any reason to expect to be subjected to a witch hunt.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:28 pm

ging wrote:
wolverine55 wrote:Don’t get me wrong, I know there are some major turds who coach college basketball and football. However, there are also many taking advantage of the current climate to witch-hunt as well.

that could be true.  but if someone is a good, well-meaning coach, they shouldn't have any reason to expect to be subjected to a witch hunt.
Wrong.

If one kid doesn't like you, all they have to do is drop one of the power words (racist, homophobic, bully, etc.)  to the right person (admin, board member, community member) and proof, you're on the hot seat.

Happens all the time. My daughter's JV volleyball coach is a fantastic lady, very nice, very, very even keeled. Maybe not the greatest VB coach, but competent. Resigned after getting heat for "bullying" by correcting horrible fundamentals of some of the chosen ones. Her replacement? The worst of the chosen one's mom.

Cerro Gordo recently had a deal where there VB coach resigned from coaching and teaching mid year because of allegations of "bullying" because some of the parents didn't like her because she was truthful. One charge was she had the audacity to tell one girl she'd be a better player if she was lighter. The horror. The week after she resigned the parents were in the principal's office trying to go after the basketball coach.

At Sullivan I had a mom go to the Superintendent (or Principal- I don't recall) mad because I made both of her sons run after practice to make up the conditioning they missed when they were an hour late. She told them I promoted drug use because one day at practice a kid I got along with well asked me how I thought  practice was going. I said it had made me not want to do heroin that day. So, I ended up in an meeting getting talked to because she had an axe to grind.

Oh, and PS- the Sullivan kid eventually got expelled for calling in a bomb threat. Mom threatened to sue and they graduated him. Even had his picture on the marquis scroll out front.

Coaches have always just been the right person away from getting fired, the problem now is that person can be a kid. The worst part is, the kids know they have that power.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
ging wrote:

Wrong.

If one kid doesn't like you, all they have to do is drop one of the power words (racist, homophobic, bully, etc.)  to the right person (admin, board member, community member) and proof, you're on the hot seat.

Happens all the time. My daughter's JV volleyball coach is a fantastic lady, very nice, very, very even keeled. Maybe not the greatest VB coach, but competent. Resigned after getting heat for "bullying" by correcting horrible fundamentals of some of the chosen ones. Her replacement? The worst of the chosen one's mom.

Cerro Gordo recently had a deal where there VB coach resigned from coaching and teaching mid year because of allegations of "bullying" because some of the parents didn't like her because she was truthful. One charge was she had the audacity to tell one girl she'd be a better player if she was lighter. The horror. The week after she resigned the parents were in the principal's office trying to go after the basketball coach.

At Sullivan I had a mom go to the Superintendent (or Principal- I don't recall) mad because I made both of her sons run after practice to make up the conditioning they missed when they were an hour late. She told them I promoted drug use because one day at practice a kid I got along with well asked me how I thought  practice was going. I said it had made me not want to do heroin that day. So, I ended up in an meeting getting talked to because she had an axe to grind.

Oh, and PS- the Sullivan kid eventually got expelled for calling in a bomb threat. Mom threatened to sue and they graduated him. Even had his picture on the marquis scroll out front.

Coaches have always just been the right person away from getting fired, the problem now is that person can be a kid. The worst part is, the kids know they have that power.

But I don't think any of that applies at the college level.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:48 pm

No, it doesn't. Those kids have more power because they're winning and losing means millions of dollars.

Remember Mark Mangino?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:10 pm

Head Idiot wrote:No, it doesn't. Those kids have more power because they're winning and losing means millions of dollars.

Remember Mark Mangino?

Yeah. But Mangino doesn't get fired if he wasn't 13-13 his last two years and trending down. He only won one conference game his last year.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:54 pm

19delta wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:No, it doesn't. Those kids have more power because they're winning and losing means millions of dollars.

Remember Mark Mangino?

Yeah. But Mangino doesn't get fired if he wasn't 13-13 his last two years and trending down. He only won one conference game his last year.
13-13 was and is awesome for KU.

So, what some consider unacceptable behavior is fine, as long as you win?

Mike Leach got fired for "bullying" for doing what is now recommended practice for concussions.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:27 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
19delta wrote:

Remember Mark Mangino?

Mike Leach got fired for "bullying" for doing what is now recommended practice for concussions.

13-13 would be awesome if it didn't follow 12-1. Mangino's last year, they only won 1 conference game. Whatever magic he had in 2007 was clearly gone by 2009 and Kansas was regressing to the mean.

Mangino was kind of a prick. You can be a prick when you are 12-1. When you are 5-7, not so much. Regarding your 2nd point...that's how big-time sports work. A coach can be a complete sociopath as long as he wins. I don't like that aspect of big-time sports, but that is the way it is.

Regarding Mike Leach...you are vastly oversimplifying what happened there.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:23 pm

19delta wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
19delta wrote:

Remember Mark Mangino?

13-13 would be awesome if it didn't follow 12-1. Mangino's last year, they only won 1 conference game. Whatever magic he had in 2007 was clearly gone by 2009 and Kansas was regressing to the mean.

Mangino was kind of a prick. You can be a prick when you are 12-1. When you are 5-7, not so much. Regarding your 2nd point...that's how big-time sports work. A coach can be a complete sociopath as long as he wins. I don't like that aspect of big-time sports, but that is the way it is.

Not really. Entitled kid, with equally entitled dad felt bitter about how they were treated. Went on a national switch hunt and got Leach canned.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/316733-daddys-little-girl-adam-james-and-the-mike-leach-suspension

Also- it works that way in HS football too. Historically. Now, with different breeds of admin and boards, different ball game.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
19delta wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
19delta wrote:

Remember Mark Mangino?

Not really. Entitled kid, with equally entitled dad felt bitter about how they were treated. Went on a national switch hunt and got Leach canned.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/316733-daddys-little-girl-adam-james-and-the-mike-leach-suspension

Also- it works that way in HS football too. Historically. Now, with different breeds of admin and boards, different ball game.

What about the part where Leach allegedly made the kid stand in the room? And, when given the chance to apologize, simply refused? And made it really easy for Texas Tech to pay him the big bonus he was due?

It's obvious that Craig James didn't like Leach and had it out for him. But it's also pretty clear that Leach didn't like Craig James and took some of that dislike out on his son.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 pm

This part?
We were told that Adam James, son of ESPN's Craig James, was forced into a shed to stand hours on end after showing up to practice.

The shed turned out to be an equipment room, complete with ice maker, fan, ventilation, and exercise equipment.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:59 pm

What HI described as happening to the volleyball coach is essentially what happened to my brother a year ago...and that was at the JUCO level of women’s basketball
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:03 pm

Head Idiot wrote:This part?
We were told that Adam James, son of ESPN's Craig James, was forced into a shed to stand hours on end after showing up to practice.

The shed turned out to be an equipment room, complete with ice maker, fan, ventilation, and exercise equipment.  

The guy who wrote the article is not a Craig James fan.

The point is that Craig James didn't get Leach fired. But it did give the school a reason to fire Leach and not pay him a big bonus that was due, literally, the next day.

Regardless...who suffered the worst of the entire deal? Certainly Craig James. Heck, there's still people out there who honestly believe that he killed a bunch of hookers! Laughing
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 pm

wolverine55 wrote:What HI described as happening to the volleyball coach is essentially what happened to my brother a year ago...and that was at the JUCO level of women’s basketball

I would imagine that JUCO women's basketball has much more in common with high school sports than with big-time college athletics.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:01 pm

19delta wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:This part?

The guy who wrote the article is not a Craig James fan.

The point is that Craig James didn't get Leach fired. But it did give the school a reason to fire Leach and not pay him a big bonus that was due, literally, the next day.

Regardless...who suffered the worst of the entire deal? Certainly Craig James. Heck, there's still people out there who honestly believe that he killed a bunch of hookers! Laughing
Only because Leach fought back. Here's another quote from a different article. You won't find anyone who weighs in on the James' side.
Emails that emerged later showed Craig James used a Texas-based strategic consulting firm, Spaeth Communications, to leak information to publicly pile on Leach. That included a video played on ESPN’s “SportsCenter” that Adam James took from his alleged exile. Leach later said, “ESPN … was just spewing this stuff that Spaeth and Craig James were feeding them.” As emails and phone messages emerged in the legal process, Craig James came off as an overbearing Little League dad who’d leave coaches lengthy messages complaining about his son’s playing time.
Besides, the point is, this crap does go on in major sports.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:34 am

Head Idiot wrote:
Besides, the point is, this crap does go on in major sports.

But not very often and only when there are other factors involving millions of dollars at play.

Again, Tech didn't want to pay Leach the money. Without that, Leach most likely doesn't get fired. And, if I'm remembering the story correctly, I think the school even gave Leach an out. If he apologized to the family, the whole thing would have went away. Obviously, a guy with Leach's personality was never going to do that, but the out was there is Leach really wanted it.

Leach's biggest problem wasn't Craig James. It was the handful of wealthy boosters who had been working against him.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down