Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 8 Memorable

+2
wolverine55
dusty7
6 posters

Go down

Week 8 Memorable Empty Week 8 Memorable

Post by dusty7 Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:18 am

Hard to believe that it is already Week 8. This week we would be playing our rivalry game against Coal City at home and if things went as both teams expected, would likely be for a Conference Championship.

2015 - Wilmington at Peotone - little did I know at the time, this would be the 2nd to last game I would be the DC for Peotone and that the next year I would be on the opposite sideline. The previous week we had Plano on the ropes but lost one of our OLB's for a series or two and they picked on our backup, who honestly should have never been on the field. So needless to say, our guys had some confidence going up against the defending state champs who were coming in on a 21 game win streak. My game plans was 10 in the box, make them pass the ball to beat us. The QB was below par and struggled complete passes all season. We blitzed on motion, plugged gaps, did all the things that we were supposed to do, on the first play. On the 2nd play, their RB demolishes our OLB and goes 65 for a TD. I figure this is going to be another Wilmington pounding. Our next possession, we move the ball 3-4 yards a play, complete some timely passes, score a TD on a drive that went into the 2nd quarter. From then on out our kids had the confidence that they could hang with the Wildcats. As the game progressed, Wilmington would fumble 2 times on lengthy drives but we just could not capitalize. Fast forward to the 4th Quarter, about 3:00 left, we are down 14-7, Wilmington is about mid-field on a 4th and 3, I send the house, from our vantage point it looked like we stopped them but on the measurement they get the 1st by the thickness of a piece of paper, and go on to score a few plays later. Our senior lead a 2 minute drill on their last time playing on the hallowed ground of Peotone's field and score a TD with 15 seconds left, we try an onside and fail.

2017 - Coal City at Wilmington - for those of you that do not know, this game is known for having crazy finishes and this year was no exception. As always, it is a constant battle between to great programs that have a lot of respect for each other, definitely one of the best crowds I have ever seen at a HS Football game. 4th Quarter, we are up by 28-24, about 2:00 minutes left. Coal City is driving down the field and it really looks like they will get into the end zone. We have a Soph FS and their QB (who is now a pitcher at the U of I) is basically picking on him. It's 1st and 10 from about the 40 yardline and they decide to take a shot. QB throws a great ball but our FS is right there, it's a 50/50 ball, the ref signal Touchdown but our guy ends up with the ball. Obviously, chaos ensues on both sides of the field. Coal City is celebrating that they scored, we are celebrating because we sealed the victory. The refs meet for about 5 minutes, both coaches are getting frustrated so CC's coach starts walking towards the refs, our Coach does the same, each coach is trying to plead their case from 10 yards away from the refs while the refs aren't even paying attention. After about 10 minutes one ref goes over to CC's coach, walks back, and another meeting takes place. After about 5 minutes, the ref gives us an explanation. The ref who signaled the TD was confused on who was on offense, our guy came down with the ball in the endzone so it is a Touchback. It was this refs 1st year as a varsity ref and he was with a very seasoned crew, infact his father was the head official. We take 3 knees to end the game and it is definitely the craziest finish I have even been a part of.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime and lefty120 like this post

Back to top Go down

Week 8 Memorable Empty Re: Week 8 Memorable

Post by wolverine55 Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:26 am

Man, I don't know what it is, but I have absolutely nothing for Week 8! Maybe Week 9 gets the focus being the last game because there are 5-6 I could write about next week...
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:32 am

2019 - Freeburg, my oldest son and his friends since 4th grade senior night and their last game at Jim Finks Field. Freeburg and Coach Stuart always play us tough and it's a nice rivalry we've developed with them. Tied 7-7 in the 3rd, we score on a beautiful pass play to take the lead. They score to tie it up with about 2:00 left. We hit a long play off a screen to take the lead 20-14 and hold on to win. I think Trevor ended up with 14 total tackles, a couple tackles for loss, a couple sacks, and had 70 yards on the ground and a touchdown. The emotions of watching your son and his best friends end their regular season career's at home in that fashion is something I'll never forget. I'm a fairly emotional guy, and I recall tearing up several times that afternoon before the game as I set up the field. Great memories.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:39 am

dusty7 wrote:QB throws a great ball but our FS is right there, it's a 50/50 ball, the ref signal Touchdown but our guy ends up with the ball.  Obviously, chaos ensues on both sides of the field. Coal City is celebrating that they scored, we are celebrating because we sealed the victory.  The refs meet for about 5 minutes, both coaches are getting frustrated so CC's coach starts walking towards the refs, our Coach does the same, each coach is trying to plead their case from 10 yards away from the refs while the refs aren't even paying attention. After about 10 minutes one ref goes over to CC's coach, walks back, and another meeting takes place. After about 5 minutes, the ref gives us an explanation.  The ref who signaled the TD was confused on who was on offense, our guy came down with the ball in the endzone so it is a Touchback.  It was this refs 1st year as a varsity ref and he was with a very seasoned crew, in fact his father was the head official. We take 3 knees to end the game and it is definitely the craziest finish I have even been a part of.  

15 minutes to sort that out? I'll bet people were going crazy. Do you think the refs knew after about 15 seconds that it was a bad call and spent the next 9:45 trying to figure out a way to cover for the rookie?

Teetime
Teetime
Admin

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:09 pm

dusty7 wrote:Hard to believe that it is already Week 8.  This week we would be playing our rivalry game against Coal City at home and if things went as both teams expected, would likely be for a Conference Championship.

2015 - Wilmington at Peotone - little did I know at the time, this would be the 2nd to last game I would be the DC for Peotone and that the next year I would be on the opposite sideline. The previous week we had Plano on the ropes but lost one of our OLB's for a series or two and they picked on our backup, who honestly should have never been on the field. So needless to say, our guys had some confidence going up against the defending state champs who were coming in on a 21 game win streak. My game plans was 10 in the box, make them pass the ball to beat us.  The QB was below par and struggled complete passes all season.  We blitzed on motion, plugged gaps, did all the things that we were supposed to do, on the first play.  On the 2nd play, their RB demolishes our OLB and goes 65 for a TD. I figure this is going to be another Wilmington pounding.  Our next possession, we move the ball 3-4 yards a play, complete some timely passes, score a TD on a drive that went into the 2nd quarter.  From then on out our kids had the confidence that they could hang with the Wildcats.  As the game progressed, Wilmington would fumble 2 times on lengthy drives but we just could not capitalize.  Fast forward to the 4th Quarter, about 3:00 left, we are down 14-7, Wilmington is about mid-field on a 4th and 3, I send the house, from our vantage point it looked like we stopped them but on the measurement they get the 1st by the thickness of a piece of paper, and go on to score a few plays later. Our senior lead a 2 minute drill on their last time playing on the hallowed ground of Peotone's field and score a TD with 15 seconds left, we try an onside and fail.  

2017 - Coal City at Wilmington - for those of you that do not know, this game is known for having crazy finishes and this year was no exception.  As always, it is a constant battle between to great programs that have a lot of respect for each other, definitely one of the best crowds I have ever seen at a HS Football game.  4th Quarter, we are up by 28-24, about 2:00 minutes left.  Coal City is driving down the field and it really looks like they will get into the end zone.  We have a Soph FS and their QB (who is now a pitcher at the U of I) is basically picking on him. It's 1st and 10 from about the 40 yardline and they decide to take a shot. QB throws a great ball but our FS is right there, it's a 50/50 ball, the ref signal Touchdown but our guy ends up with the ball.  Obviously, chaos ensues on both sides of the field. Coal City is celebrating that they scored, we are celebrating because we sealed the victory.  The refs meet for about 5 minutes, both coaches are getting frustrated so CC's coach starts walking towards the refs, our Coach does the same, each coach is trying to plead their case from 10 yards away from the refs while the refs aren't even paying attention. After about 10 minutes one ref goes over to CC's coach, walks back, and another meeting takes place. After about 5 minutes, the ref gives us an explanation.  The ref who signaled the TD was confused on who was on offense, our guy came down with the ball in the endzone so it is a Touchback.  It was this refs 1st year as a varsity ref and he was with a very seasoned crew, infact his father was the head official. We take 3 knees to end the game and it is definitely the craziest finish I have even been a part of.  

Could the head official pass for a Lovie Smith look alike I think I might know who you are talking about.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:31 pm

Teetime wrote:
dusty7 wrote:QB throws a great ball but our FS is right there, it's a 50/50 ball, the ref signal Touchdown but our guy ends up with the ball.  Obviously, chaos ensues on both sides of the field. Coal City is celebrating that they scored, we are celebrating because we sealed the victory.  The refs meet for about 5 minutes, both coaches are getting frustrated so CC's coach starts walking towards the refs, our Coach does the same, each coach is trying to plead their case from 10 yards away from the refs while the refs aren't even paying attention. After about 10 minutes one ref goes over to CC's coach, walks back, and another meeting takes place. After about 5 minutes, the ref gives us an explanation.  The ref who signaled the TD was confused on who was on offense, our guy came down with the ball in the endzone so it is a Touchback.  It was this refs 1st year as a varsity ref and he was with a very seasoned crew, in fact his father was the head official. We take 3 knees to end the game and it is definitely the craziest finish I have even been a part of.  

15 minutes to sort that out? I'll bet people were going crazy. Do you think the refs knew after about 15 seconds that it was a bad call and spent the next 9:45 trying to figure out a way to cover for the rookie?

That is exactly what happened. It did not help that the rookie was the son of the veteran. People were going crazy but it was a great atmosphere. Our fans started chanting, their fans chanted back, PA guy played the Jeopardy Them, Official told him to turn it off, every CC player was holding up the TD signal, their fans shouting TOUCHDOWN, our fans shouting back I-N-T. Not going to lie, it was fun and if both sides were not as respectful as they are it could have turned ugly. I always say, if that happened while were were playing Reed-Custer, it would be a melee with the fans.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:36 pm

dusty7 wrote: I always say, if that happened while were were playing Reed-Custer, it would be a melee with the fans.
My only experience with Reed Custer as an athlete or coach was a near brawl my sophomore year at Chenoa or El Paso at a wrestling meet. Oddly enough, nearly started by their coach.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:04 pm

Not a funny story or a great triumph in my life, but an example of probably the most courage and respect I've ever gotten for an opponent through a game-

2012- Martinsville @ CGB @ Bement- before the game their first year coach came up to me and told me they only had 13 kids dressed due to injuries (and their sideline did look like a warzone- pregame. Kids in casts and on crutches, etc). We were 7-0 and LOADED (this was the first year of the coop and were 2-3 deep everywhere with talent. Would end up 10-1). He said that the two they had on the bench were freshmen and had no business on the field for JV let alone against us. Said if a kid got hurt, they may have to pull the plug. Didn't want to, but didn't want to feed them to the wolves. I said we'll make it happen and if someone gets hurt, I'll flood the field with my freshmen. They were 0-7 and at full strength we had the ability to probably put up 80 on them.

I should note that we'd had some issues with them the year before at their place. It was week 9 and they were 4-4. We were 5-3 and the game would win us the conference while they were fighting for the playoffs. We went up like 28-0 at half. They came out swinging (literally, but more on that) and scored 4 tds while we only managed one to lead 34-28. Somewhere in there, all hell nearly broke out. My kids had been telling me that they had kids saying some less than savory things to our black fullback every time he got tackled. At one point one of their kids tackled him on our sideline and another kid kicked him in the head and yelled at him (I honestly didn't hear what as it was about 15yds away). We had to break up a melee and the whole thing about went REALLY south. We faked a punt on 4th down that drive and proceeded to win 54-28.

We get up big early (like 32-0) in 12 and one of their kids gets hurt. He puts in a freshmen, so we sub in our JV. Shortly after half, another of their kids gets hurt and they put in the other freshmen. Now, we empty the bench and put in kids that never touch the field on JV. We had 50 kids that year, so our varsity guys got a kick out of the younger kids playing. Had kids all over the field playing out of position. Martinsville battled through it and ended up scoring late to make the final 46-6. Our kids cheered for them when they scored.

Legitimately the biggest balls I've ever seen out of an entire program. Most other places wouldn't have even got on the bus for the 2 1/2 hour ride knowing what was in front of them. After the game, the coach thanked me and our kids were very encouraging to theirs. I think our kids were impressed too after some teams had reacted in similar situations throughout the year. On top of that, their kids were nothing but class the entire game. A complete 180 from the previous year's issue. The next week Martinsville would win their last game. I was legitimately happy for them.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:34 pm

[/quote]

Could the head official pass for a Lovie Smith look alike I think I might know who you are talking about.[/quote]

Yes he is, and this wasn't the first time he was involved in crazy CC and Wilmo finish.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:41 pm

Now, for a funny story. Probably the hardest I ever laughed in my coaching career during a game.

2016- ALAH @ CGB @ Bement- We were 1-6 going into this game and I had kind of decided that this was to be my final season at CG. We had all sorts of issues and I was at a complete loss as to how we'd gotten there. In retrospect it was probably because our first 7 opponents would end the year a combined 49-25 with 6 making the playoffs with a semifinalist and quarterfinalist in the bunch. Regardless, I'd decided I was the biggest problem, so I eliminated the problem.

I handed over play calling to the guy who's their current HC and really only coached the OL all week. He went more shotgun spread and the kids got all pumped. Went back to using our wristbands and went a little hurry up.

Fast forward to Friday and in the first half we struggled to do anything offensively. Ended half 0-0 or up 6-0. Something like that. Had thrown the ball all over the yard and just couldn't move it.. He was frustrated and asked me at half what I thought would work. I said "You're not going to like it, but line up in the I and run trap". I was right, he didn't like it, but I said they couldn't stop it. He'd probably go in untouched based on their alignment.

Remeber those old guys on The Muppets that looked like Madden and Summerall? Just sat up in the booth and criticized everything when it went wrong? Throughout the year i had developed a similar "fan" club. Anytime we did anything that went wrong they were all over me.

Anyway, we come out of half and get the ball. 1st down he goes spread and gets nothing. He looks down to me (I was even standing on the other end of the sideline to give him space) and I just shrugged like you know what I think. He lines up in the I and runs trap. FB goes 75+yds for a TD untouched.

The Muppets go nuts. "That's a great play call!! At least now we got somebody that knows what they're doing!!!" As they stare me down. I legitimately couldn't stop laughing hysterically for about 10 minutes. Even brought a tear to my eye.

Ended up winning 40-6 by jamming the ball down their throats. The Muppets wouldn't stop laying on the accolades the entire game.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Could the head official pass for a Lovie Smith look alike I think I might know who you are talking about.[/quote]

Yes he is, and this wasn't the first time he was involved in crazy CC and Wilmo finish. [/quote]

They have had some bad blunders over the years for sure as a crew
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:01 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:Could the head official pass for a Lovie Smith look alike I think I might know who you are talking about.

Yes he is, and this wasn't the first time he was involved in crazy CC and Wilmo finish. [/quote]

They have had some bad blunders over the years for sure as a crew[/quote]

And honestly, they are one of the better crews out but they always seem to get the games where something crazy happens and they have a hard time applying the rules correctly.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down