Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 5 Memorable Games

Go down

Week 5 Memorable Games Empty Week 5 Memorable Games

Post by dusty7 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 am

I had to dig deep for memorable games for Week 5. As the season continues, the more games somewhat flow together and seem like the same game.

2009 - Peotone vs. Coal City - we are 1-3 and heading in against a state rated 4-0 Coal City teams who was, as usual, a high-quality team at that point in the season. Honestly I think we had a pretty solid team but need to get a win under our belts for some confidence. As I remember it, maybe Lefty could clarify, we were running the ball up and down the field pretty easily behind our All-State OT on Counter and Power, our HB was a little guy but very tough and was able to gain extra yards. Sprinkle in some play action and a bend don't break defense, and we come out with a 21-7 victory. This game was part of a 4 game win streak and, with some help, we ended up winning conference. I also remember this game as a JV assistant coach, we were getting our assess handed to us and I was telling the players to keep working and a player talked back to me, first time this happened in my career, and I reacted by removing him from the game.

2013 - Peotone vs. Manteno "The Rumble on Route 50" - so this is big rivalry game for Peotone and Manteno had it's way with us the previous 3 or 4 seasons at all levels. We come in with a solid JV squad and Varsity squad. In the JV game, Manteno was on the 1 yard line and to me, it looks like they score but the officials do not signal a TD, and before I know it, one of our guys is running down the field with the ball, Manteno is celebrating a TD while our guys awkwardly runs to the opposite endzone, we get the TD. Mantenos's coachs is at mid-field, pissed as we are trying to kickoff. We roll the rest of the game to a 20-0 victory.

In the varsity game, we onside the opening kick, not sure why, but Manteno gets the ball first and drives down to their own 2, our defense holds strong and they come away with no points. We drive the field in about 8-10 plays and don't look back the rest of the game. We score with about 5 minutes in the game, keep in mind this is a rivalry and we have a first year HC who doesn't want to ruffle any feathers, our PAT team goes out up 38-0 in our Swing and Gate, Manteno doesn't have enough guys on the far side, our guys go for 2 to make it 40-0. Our HC was livid about the kids going for 2 when he told them not to, their response, "it's what we were coached to do," which they were, so you can't fault them. Later that week, our Boosters made shirts that said "The Shutout on Route 50." Needless to say, the next year, I had several of those shirts in my lawn (i live in Manteno and know several of the kids)

2011 - Peotone vs. Manteno - this one just crossed my mind. JV game, homecoming, spitting rain all day, Manteno scores with :05 left in the game. There is no way we are going to win and they decide to kick it deep to the best KOR guy I have ever coached. He goes the distance and scores, it's 7-6. I was the JV HC so I decide to run the offense out in a 5-wide look, we were Double Wing/Triple Option, to force them to call TO. They call TO to adjust, I run our guys out in our PAT formation, he calls another timeout. In the huddle, I tell the kids we are going to kick but I tell the holder, kicker, and TE, run our PAT fire. We did this the previous week vs. Sandwich at half to take the lead. My rationale is I want the entire team to sell we are just going for the tie so they come off the edge to leave the TE wide open, it works to perfection and we win. I now coach with the Manteno JV at the time and he says that he told his kick to squib it but he though that squib meant kick it deep.

dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Week 5 Memorable Games Empty Re: Week 5 Memorable Games

Post by wolverine55 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:37 am

Maybe because midseason games run together in our minds, but I had to actually scroll through some of the results on IHSA.org to find something.  Only one game came to mind from my IL coaching days:

2008 West Hancock vs. West Prairie.  Not a very well played game; the reason it's memorable is because my brother was a WP assistant at the time and it's the only time I've coached against a family member.  We were WAY better than them but played a gawd-awful first half and actually trailed.  Then to make matters worse, they punted on the opening drive of the second half but pinned us inside the five yard line.  Second and 9...we called a double dive QB keep and broke it for a 95 yard touchdown run.  It was so open the QB literally jogged the last 50 yards and still no one caught him.  We ended up then hammering them with double dive the rest of the way and ended up winning 36-24.

2016 Keokuk vs. West Burlington.  West Burlington was off to a 4-0 start and was absolutely LOADED with skill position talent.  Their hometown paper called them the "freak show" because of the skills and while very corny it was also a fairly apt nickname.  We were 2-2 and coming off back-to-back blowout losses.  We were down 21-17 with around 3 minutes to go and drove the ball around 80 yards to score the winning TD with seconds left.  One member of the "freak show" almost broke a TD on us on the kickoff but we tackled him and that ended up being the last play of the game.  This win springboarded us towards a much unexpected 6-3 finish.  Many people, myself included, honestly thought 1-8 or even 0-9 was possible before the season started. It had the opposite effect on WB as they didn't win again and finished 4-5.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:43 am

dusty7 wrote:I had to dig deep for memorable games for Week 5.  As the season continues, the more games somewhat flow together and seem like the same game.

2009 - Peotone vs. Coal City - we are 1-3 and heading in against a state rated 4-0 Coal City teams who was, as usual, a high-quality team at that point in the season. Honestly I think we had a pretty solid team but need to get a win under our belts for some confidence.  As I remember it, maybe Lefty could clarify, we were running the ball up and down the field pretty easily behind our All-State OT on Counter and Power, our HB was a little guy but very tough and was able to gain extra yards.  Sprinkle in some play action and a bend don't break defense, and we come out with a 21-7 victory.  This game was part of a 4 game win streak and, with some help, we ended up winning conference.  I also remember this game as a JV assistant coach, we were getting our assess handed to us and I was telling the players to keep working and a player talked back to me, first time this happened in my career, and I reacted by removing him from the game.

Yeah, I’d have to say that 2009 team was the perfect example of overachieving. We were 0-3, and week 4 Romanchik returns the opening kick against R-C to the 6, we bang it in and never looked back. Good example of one play turning a season around. Many of those kids weren’t a ton of fun to coach though.

Coal City Week 5 is definitely right there as my favorite memory of any week 5 game though. They were and I’m sure still are very sure of themselves. Ranked 4 if memory serves. We had no business winning that game...but we just beat the shit out of them. Made the game way more physical than what they wanted it to be. I remember playing the Rocky training montage in the locker room before the game...told the kids it was time for Drago to go down...don’t think any of my players would get that reference today...🤦‍�  I’m getting old.

And always really enjoyed the Rumble on Rte 50 games...great local rivalry game that was always fun to be a part of. Not enough of those around anymore. Similar to CC Wilmo  

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:48 am

[quote="lefty120"]
dusty7 wrote:I had to dig deep for memorable games for Week 5.  As the season continues, the more games somewhat flow together and seem like the same game.

2009 - Peotone vs. Coal City - we are 1-3 and heading in against a state rated 4-0 Coal City teams who was, as usual, a high-quality team at that point in the season. Honestly I think we had a pretty solid team but need to get a win under our belts for some confidence.  As I remember it, maybe Lefty could clarify, we were running the ball up and down the field pretty easily behind our All-State OT on Counter and Power, our HB was a little guy but very tough and was able to gain extra yards.  Sprinkle in some play action and a bend don't break defense, and we come out with a 21-7 victory.  This game was part of a 4 game win streak and, with some help, we ended up winning conference.  I also remember this game as a JV assistant coach, we were getting our assess handed to us and I was telling the players to keep working and a player talked back to me, first time this happened in my career, and I reacted by removing him from the game.

Yeah, I’d have to say that 2009 team was the perfect example of overachieving. We were 0-3, and week 4 Romanchik returns the opening kick against R-C to the 6, we bang it in and never looked back. Good example of one play turning a season around. Many of those kids weren’t a ton of fun to coach though.

Coal City Week 5 is definitely right there as my favorite memory of any week 5 game though. They were and I’m sure still are very sure of themselves. Ranked 4 if memory serves. We had no business winning that game...but we just beat the shit out of them. Made the game way more physical than what they wanted it to be. I remember playing the Rocky training montage in the locker room before the game...told the kids it was time for Drago to go down...don’t think any of my players would get that reference today...🤦‍�  I’m getting old.

And always really enjoyed the Rumble on Rte 50 games...great local rivalry game that was always fun to be a part of. Not enough of those around anymore. Similar to CC Wilmo  

Im sure you probably also remember Norm Nevinger quitting at halftime of the playoff game...kid doesn’t show up for practice until Thursday, and doesn’t start. Mom was outside the locker room at half and I said ‘everything okay’...she says ‘I’m taking Normy home’...all I said was ‘ok, be sure to sign him out first’...Richmond Barton was up 40-0 BTW.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:53 am

Was there any reason behind the weird behavior?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:57 am

He was a problem child...but boy could he hit!

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:18 pm

lefty120 wrote:He was a problem child...but boy could he hit!

He could've been one heck of a player if he had a head on his shoulders. I remember there almost being a fight in the locker room when he was getting his stuff, Romanchik, Dircks, and Hagemaster were pretty upset with him.
dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:51 pm

I got nothing for this week. I looked back through every year I was a HC or coordinator or was an assistant on a memorable team. Nothing. Lots of Week 6 really good stories, but nothing for Week 5.

Might have to dig up the HS schedule.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:16 pm

Head Idiot wrote:I got nothing for this week. I looked back through every year I was a HC or coordinator or was an assistant on a memorable team. Nothing. Lots of Week 6 really good stories, but nothing for Week 5.

Monticello's homecoming is typically this week, didn't you play in the game where it got called before the final play, which was a FG and you guys had to come back on Monday for 1 play? I was really young but that is how I remember it.
dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:22 pm

dusty7 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:I got nothing for this week. I looked back through every year I was a HC or coordinator or was an assistant on a memorable team. Nothing. Lots of Week 6 really good stories, but nothing for Week 5.

Monticello's homecoming is typically this week, didn't you play in the game where it got called before the final play, which was a FG and you guys had to come back on Monday for 1 play?  I was really young but that is how I remember it.
When I was in HS, or coaching?

We never had a game suspended against Monticello when I played. We did lose to them back to back years on the last play of the game- 92 they kicked a FG to beat us and in 91 they ruled our FB's forward progress had been stopped as he fell into the end zone for a 2pt conversion at our place in OT. Both kept us from making the playoffs as we'd finish 5-4 both years. 93 we beat them 45-0 at our place.

In 02 when I was at Shelbyville they called the game in the 3rd and we had to go back Monday because they had a band thing or something on Saturday. As the storm rolled in, that weird guy that's always hanging around with the weird name (Buzz or something) screamed into the PA- "Seek shelter immediately!!!" The storm didn't hit until 15ish minutes later.

EDIT- we did stick around for an hour or more trying to get that game in because of the band thing. The Monticello people were very nice in that they brought our coaches food during the delay. I think I ate like 6 hot dogs. This was before I lost weight and weighed like 350.

Last edited by Head Idiot on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:27 pm

dusty7 wrote:
lefty120 wrote:He was a problem child...but boy could he hit!

He could've been one heck of a player if he had a head on his shoulders. I remember there almost being a fight in the locker room when he was getting his stuff, Romanchik, Dircks, and Hagemaster were pretty upset with him.  

That's correct...that was more of an issue than him leaving. Those 3 were our leaders...what a mess. Down 40-0 at half and honestly it wasn't that close; cold, windy, it'd been raining literally all week and their field was a mess...I just wanted to go home and drink beer.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:29 pm

lefty120 wrote:I just wanted to go home and drink beer.  
You just accurately described my last year coaching.

And i don't drink.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:17 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
dusty7 wrote:

Monticello's homecoming is typically this week, didn't you play in the game where it got called before the final play, which was a FG and you guys had to come back on Monday for 1 play?  I was really young but that is how I remember it.
When I was in HS, or coaching?

We never had a game suspended against Monticello when I played. We did lose to them back to back years on the last play of the game- 92 they kicked a FG to beat us and in 91 they ruled our FB's forward progress had been stopped as he fell into the end zone for a 2pt conversion at our place in OT. Both kept us from making the playoffs as we'd finish 5-4 both years. 93 we beat them 45-0 at our place.

In 02 when I was at Shelbyville they called the game in the 3rd and we had to go back Monday because they had a band thing or something on Saturday. As the storm rolled in, that weird guy that's always hanging around with the weird name (Buzz or something) screamed into the PA- "Seek shelter immediately!!!" The storm didn't hit until 15ish minutes later.

EDIT- we did stick around for an hour or more trying to get that game in because of the band thing. The Monticello people were very nice in that they brought our coaches food during the delay. I think I ate like 6 hot dogs. This was before I lost weight and weighed like 350.

Maybe that was after you played or maybe someone else, I thought it was Clinton though. I do remember that FG, Paul Whitlock kicked it.

Oh yes, Buzz, he is a bit of an eccentric but a great guy who has done a lot for the district. They are naming the new gym after him and he is nuts about marching bands. Our JFL warmup was to the "Soundtrack of the Fighting Illini."
dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
lefty120 wrote:I just wanted to go home and drink beer.  
You just accurately described my last year coaching.

And i don't drink.

That was my 2017. We went 0-9 and to make it worse, the kids we had on the team that year just weren't very likeable. I coached on some bad teams my two years at Mendon Unity but at least the kids had decent work ethic and were very likeable; they just weren't good at football. I was ready for 2017 to be over three weeks in...
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:37 pm

dusty7 wrote:
Oh yes, Buzz, he is a bit of an eccentric but a great guy who has done a lot for the district.  They are naming the new gym after him and he is nuts about marching bands.  Our JFL warmup was to the "Soundtrack of the Fighting Illini."
A lot of people liked playing at Monticello, i never did. That internally loud band music about 10 feet above the visitors sideline was one reason.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum