Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 4 Memorable Games.

Go down

Week 4 Memorable Games.  Empty Week 4 Memorable Games.

Post by dusty7 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:29 pm

A bit late this week, had a busy week at school.

2017 - Wilmington @ Peotone - my first game at my former school, Peotone had a solid team and we were coming off of a loss so the Blue Devil's were out for blood. 3rd Quarter, we were down 20-6. After a few 3 and outs on both sides, our RB somewhat leaps over a defender and goes for a TD. Play gets called back for a hurdle, which it wasn't. Our OC get livid and gets an additional 15 yard penalty. Looking at 3rd and 25, Peotone gets a, what looks like a strip sack, but Ref calls the QB down, it was an obvious makeup call. We punt, force a 3 and out, and go on a 21-0 run throwing the ball, yes I said Wilmington won a game throwing the ball.

2012 - Peotone vs. Plano - oone of the better games I have ever seen as a coach Back and forth the entire game and we forced it into overtime on the final drive
We score a TD in OT and elect to go for one, Plano scores and goes for 2. Our OLB runs upfield toss play, and Plano converts. Solid game by both teams but the most memorable part of the game was I had to pee the entire 2nd half, I was up in the box this season, and in between the 4th and OT, I'm on the phones in the Portal Potty, looking at my Tendency sheet telling the HC what to look out for.
dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 4 Memorable Games.  Empty Re: Week 4 Memorable Games.

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 am

I didn't even think about it or I might have started this thread. It's been good reading about these games.

2004--Jacksonville vs. SHG--Both teams were loaded this year and it was a rematch of the previous year's second round playoff game in which SHG won 21-14. Both teams were 3-0 and we were expecting to compete with them and SHG just absolutely ran over us 41-7. For those of you who may remember this game, this was the game SHG broke out the Lonesome Polecat and then lo and behold, several Springfield area teams were running it the next week, lol!

2017--Keokuk vs. Fairfield. This one isn't a positive memory. We were 0-3 and they were either 0-3 or 1-2. We came out hot and had an early 21-6 lead primarily based on one play: we ran a "false" bucksweep where the guards pulled like they would on buck but the QB kept the ball and ran the other way. Their LBs flowed so hard to pulling guards we really only had to block 1-2 kids on the backside to make it work. Well, they caught on to that and we just couldn't get any other offense going and they rallied to beat us 23-21. We still had a shot at winning on a last second FG but missed it. Given how the rest of our schedule was, we knew we were going 0-9 once we lost this one, which is why it's memorable albeit for bad reasons.

2019--Keokuk vs. Centerville. Yes, obviously just last year but what makes this one memorable is it was one of the most dominating team wins I've ever been a part of. Centerville was a decent team with good size, but a classification below us. We were 3-0 but still figuring out how good we actually were and we just stomped them 49-7. The offense came out clicking on all cylinders and it was as close to a perfect game as a team could play.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:33 am

wolverine55 wrote:2004--Jacksonville vs. SHG--Both teams were loaded this year and it was a rematch of the previous year's second round playoff game in which SHG won 21-14.  Both teams were 3-0 and we were expecting to compete with them and SHG just absolutely ran over us 41-7.  For those of you who may remember this game, this was the game SHG broke out the Lonesome Polecat and then lo and behold, several Springfield area teams were running it the next week, lol!  

I was at that one, and the rematch in the playoffs and the J-Ville vs. JCA playoff game that year. Jacksonville had a very good team.

Teetime
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:13 pm

Teetime wrote:
wolverine55 wrote:2004--Jacksonville vs. SHG--Both teams were loaded this year and it was a rematch of the previous year's second round playoff game in which SHG won 21-14.  Both teams were 3-0 and we were expecting to compete with them and SHG just absolutely ran over us 41-7.  For those of you who may remember this game, this was the game SHG broke out the Lonesome Polecat and then lo and behold, several Springfield area teams were running it the next week, lol!  

I was at that one, and the rematch in the playoffs and the J-Ville vs. JCA playoff game that year. Jacksonville had a very good team.

I was a freshmen coach, so honestly not much to do with it, but thank you! I said at the time I could coach for 40 years and not coach a group as special as that 2004 team. I've had a couple come close honestly, but not quite that good. Great bunch of kids too, football aside.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 pm

I saw the 2004 Jacksonville team play several times. I think that was Coach Grounds best team. They had a good QB I believe his name was Anderson. Very smart player who rarely made mistakes. They hung with JCA for the better part of 3 quarters before JCA broke it open in the Semifinal game.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop on Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:50 pm

OSUBucks wrote:I saw the 2004 Jacksonville team play several times. I think that was Coach Grounds best team. They had a good QB I believe his name was Anderson. Very smart player who rarely made mistakes. They hung with JCA for the better part of 3 quarters before JCA broke it open in the Semifinal game.

2010 Rochester vs. SHG, Rochester's first year in the CS-8, SHG had a 59 conference win streak, tradition, state titles, Rochester, had had only been playing football for 16 years, in all the pre-game hype, Rochester was going to get hammered. We had a pretty goofy group who were usually pretty loose pre-game. This game, in our locker room, you could hear a pin drop. Before we got on the bus, Derek Leonard said they're either scared to death or ready to play. Crowd size, it was one of thetop two largest games I have coached in, Memorial Stadium was packed. The opening Kick-off, SHG tried a throwback which was stuffed. The game was a hard hitting, physical game with not much scoring. With less than a minute left, SHG was in our red zone and on 4th down went for the win and not the tie to send the game to OT. A first year senior OLB, John Gilsson, knocked the pass down and Rochester won the game 13-10. Rochester finished the season undefeated, won the CS-8 and its first state title. I do not like to compare teams because I have coached many great Kids, but Rochester's 2010 group was my favorite.They were the most talented group of young men I have ever coached. Combining three classes, we had 8-9 players who played four years of DI and DII ball, and numerous others who played DIII

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:29 am

2008 - St. Joe Ogden at Clifton Central

We were coming off a tough loss and 5 hour trip to Chester the week before and had to face the Giant that was SJO. This by no means was one of their better teams the last 25 years but still was SJO and a major hurdle for us. We played lights out defense the entire night I think we limited them to 30 yards rushing but were down 14-6 entering the 4th quarter because we had 2 Punts blocked for Touchdowns. We connected on a deep ball midway through the 4th quarter to cut it to 14-13. We then recovered a fumble on the ensuing kickoff. We drive down and on 4th and goal connect for another TD and a 19-14 lead. They lost the next kickoff as well and we ran out the clock.

2013 Clifton Central at St. Joe Ogden - Probably the best defensive squad I ever had. We gave up just 37 points in regular season but flopped in a week 10 rematch with Momence that year. We gave SJO a rare shutout loss 27-0. We made big plays on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. SJO would go on to play in the State Championship game losing the controversial OT game vs Stillman Valley.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:05 am

Nothing real super interesting ever happened in Week 4. I looked it up. 2 halfway humorous stories though-

2012- East Central @ CGB. East Central was terrible. They would fold their program after this season. We were still feeling our way as a new coop. This game was an epic mismatch. With 8 minutes left in the first quarter it was 42-0. I think we ended up winning like 56-0 and the JV played most of the 2nd quarter and all the 2nd half.

After the game the newspaper guys come to talk to me and one guy from the Decatur H&R starts asking me questions about East Central. I say I don't know, but he keeps going. Eventually he asks me what I'd do if I coached them. I then put 2 and 2 together and realized he was trying to get me to say something controversial so he could use it to spice up a story about a beat down. I said "Look, I know what you're doing. I'm not going to say anything bad about East Central or their coach. I don't coach them. If I wanted to worry about what they need to do, I'd have applied there. I didn't. As far as the kids I coach, I'm really happy with the way we came out and took care of business."  They didn't send that reporter anymore.

Sidenote- this game featured one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen. My offensive booth guy stopped watching the game and took pictures of it. Anytime for the next 5 years there was anything remotely close we'd make jokes about how we better get him back to get photographic evidence. My wife did get a nice picture of it. I'll see if I can find it

2015- CGB @ LSA- LSA had gotten pretty good. They would eventually go 5-4 and make the playoffs for the first time. The year before we beat them like 56-22. This year we were better, but they were much improved. We would end up winning 39-38 and basically this was the game that would get us in the playoffs.

At one point we had a 4th and inches so I called Wyoming. It was a play we always practiced but never ran. Basically the C snaps the ball to the QB and they run sneak. No one else moves. The idea is if the defense watches the guy in front of them, they won't realize the ball's been snapped. We ran it at Shelbyville some 2003-2005. We ran it, it worked, we went on to score on the series.

After the game I always stayed at the back and shook all the kids hands before shaking the coach's hands. Their HC made a beeline for me and says "Maybe now you won't make fun of our kids!!" What? He repeats it and gets closer to me. He looks like he wants to fight. I'm exhausted. We had a couple if not more rain/lightning delays (they always seemed to get called right in the middle of an offensive series for us- and they'd always seem to stop us right after) and it was like 10 if not later. I just said "Listen, I don't know what you're pissed about, but you need to get out of my face before I beat your old ass." His assistants drag him away and now I'm pissed off and exhausted.

Radio guy I'm friendly with comes over asks me what that was about. I say I have absolutely no idea. Newspaper guy comes over and asks about the Wyoming play. I explain my thinking and say "If it works, great. If it doesn't I look like an idiot. And I've been an idiot before." He goes- LSA coach just told me they knew it was coming. What? He says they had seen it on film and were ready for you to run it. Being already pissed at him I said "He's either psychic or has the biggest film library ever. My kids didn't even know what it was initially. We've never run it in the 6 years I've been HC here."

Next morning we're talking about my "fight" and one of my assistants goes "I wonder if it's about Zoo Kid?" The year before had been the first year we'd played them. During the summer I took my kids to the zoo and saw an enormous black kid (like 6'3 310lbs big) wearing a LSA shirt. I went to weights that night and told my assistants about him. The week before the game watching film I see him on tape and say "That's the zoo kid!!" Turns out they flipped their line and this kid ended up being on the side they were running to like 80% of the time. So, defensively we called our strength to zoo kid. During the week we told the kids why we called him zoo kid and they just started yelling Zoo Kid right instead of strong right. Did it during the game.

We can't figure out what else it was. I'd actually bee abnormally complementary to them in stuff leading up to the game because I was actually kind of amazed at the amount of turnaround in one year. After that game though, I really disliked them. Losing to them the next year (and honestly it was the game that probably pushed me over the ledge of deciding to stay at CG or not) was one of the hardest to swallow losses i had.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:22 am

Dont mess with Bundy!!! Al or Craig haha
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:28 am

Bighitter11 wrote:Dont mess with Bundy!!!  Al or Craig haha
Me and him were never real cordial. VERY different human beings.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:40 am

I learned a few things from Bundy when he was at BB, but he was always a different cat. I could totally see that story unfolding that way.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:43 pm

Here's that picture from the East Central game. I can't see what the scoreboard says. I might be wrong about the score. It was a beat down regardless.
Week 4 Memorable Games.  Cnf8ca10
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:09 pm

I agree in that it was a beautiful sunset.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:05 pm

OSUBucks wrote:I agree in that it was a beautiful sunset.
There's more to the right, but idk how to get the whole picture to fit.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 pm

I remember week 4 in 2011. SHG vs Rochester. Rochester had joined the Conference the previous year and it was good timing for them. They had lots of athletes and beat SHG at Memorial Stadium 13-10. The 2011 game was at Rochester and the bleachers were packed. SHG scored right before halftime to go up 21-14 at the half. SHG dominated the 2nd half and won going away 42-14.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop on Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:03 pm

OSUBucks wrote:I remember week 4 in 2011. SHG vs Rochester. Rochester had joined the Conference the previous year and it was good timing for them. They had lots of athletes and beat SHG at Memorial Stadium 13-10. The 2011 game was at Rochester and the bleachers were packed. SHG scored right before halftime to go up 21-14 at the half. SHG dominated the 2nd half and won going away 42-14.

The morning of the 2010 game, Derek Leonard called me to tell me our starting Mike LB (and guard), had mono and would not play. Our no. 2 MLB, good kid but did not have a lot much playing time other than mop up duty. That was my big WTF moment. SHG had a FB/LB (McMath) who was a load. He was listed at 245 but he was actually a biscuit shy of 280. Our kid played a hell of a game along with the rest of the defense. It was a great game between to groups of kids who were not going to back down and were well coached. My first couple years at Rochester, we would go to a padded camp at Bethalto and scrimmage SHG and other teams. Are kids were scared to death of SHG (Bobby Brenneisan's group). Are 2010 senior group, as sophs and juniors, went to the IC FCA camp and we had joint practices with SHG. After the 2009 camp, both groups knew the 2010 game was going to be a good one. At the 2010 FCA camp, other CS-8 schools were calling our kids the new CS-8 doormat. The SHG players laughed and told them they had no clue about Rochester.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum