Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday thoughts

Go down

Friday thoughts Empty Friday thoughts

Post by #35 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:48 pm

For many of us, it comes naturally that the final Friday in August has that same feeling, the same mindset, the same atmosphere that we've all come to know, love and enjoy. The images of warmups, locker room camaraderie, lines of scrimmage and the satisfaction of a mind-altering fumble recovery or interception are what we expect given the time of year this is.

Most of us are going to wake up tomorrow morning (or have woken up Friday morning) feeling a bit strange. That expected feeling that we should be feeling because of the date is going to briefly come to the forefront of our minds, but then comes the realization that, sadly, it won't here in Illinois. Our grass football fields aren't going to be painted when we see our campuses in the morning or early afternoon. The good luck signs are absent. Today is "just Friday," and that can be hard to believe.

Right now, I'm thinking, "Where in northern Illinois was I going to be sent off to cover high school football at this week?" I've done season-openers in Erie, Rockford Christian, Mendota, Marengo, Dakota, Lena-Winslow, Hononegah, Kaneland, and of course, Sterling/Rock Falls. I drove 5 hours in Wisconsin to see Kimberly snap its 70-game winning streak 2 years ago against Fond du Lac in a thrilling season-opener. I've said it many times, but I'm blessed to have roamed the high school football sidelines with pen, notepad and press pass at so many places: big/small, suburb/city/"downstate" and rich/poor. All of those differing experiences make high school football special to me – and although we know it may happen again in the spring, there's just that fall breezy feeling that I enjoy the most about this time of year.

To fill that void, perhaps a bunch of reminiscences pop up for me for opening weeks: The back-and-forth tussle between Boylan and Hononegah in a season opener that saw the Titans keep their NIC-10 unbeaten streak alive at 70-something, Rock Falls snapping a nearly 30-game losing streak at Rockford Christian, Dakota's lead rusher going for 200+ in a home win over Lena-Winslow, Mendota opening their brand new turf stadium with a big win over Illini West (but that was on a Saturday), and the very first high school football game that I roamed the sidelines on: Sterling beating Richwoods in Peoria 7-6 in 2001. One thought leads to another thought, and so on. That's when you start to miss it.

You aren't alone in your disappointment. Although the first-period bell is going to ring just as it did 24 hours prior, today is going to be a tough day for some of us. Some may feel strong. Others may feel a bit lost at times. For those that have a tough time dealing with today, you're not alone.

Let's try our best to stay positive. We've still got kids to teach, and a public to make better with our talents.

Bee-otch

OldTitan, OSUBucks, net and dusty7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum