Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big10 Football

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Big10 Football - Page 2 Empty Re: Big10 Football

Post by OSUBucks on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:36 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:In the 15-24 age group which would emcompass college football players, if you do get COVID19 your odds of surviving are 99.98%.
It's all about this myocardial stuff and lawsuits at this point.

Yeah, they are worried about getting sued. You can get myocarditis after having the flu or even a tooth infection. It is rare though. COVID19 is worse down South than it is here but they intend to play. I guess they're not so worried about the lawsuits.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:04 am

OSUBucks wrote:
Yeah, they are worried about getting sued. You can get myocarditis after having the flu or even a tooth infection. It is rare though. COVID19 is worse down South than it is here but they intend to play. I guess they're not so worried about the lawsuits.
Different culture.

Another reason I think Nebraska will look out of the Big 10. Other than Iowa, it is a MUCH different state, culture and mindset than the rest of the league.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:03 am

Statement from Nebraska:

Statement from Nebraska President Ted Carter and UNL Chancellor Ronnie Green: "The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is a fully committed member of the Big Ten Conference. It is an unparalleled athletic and academic alliance."

As Tee and I suggested yesterday they're not walking away from all that Big 10 money.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:24 am

ESPN's Heather Dinich just said on Get Up that one of the NCAA's chief medical advisors just said on a call regarding fall sports, "We have a serious problem. I feel like the Titanic. We have hit the iceberg and we're trying to make decisions of when the band should play."
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:57 pm

OSUBucks wrote:ESPN's Heather Dinich just said on Get Up that one of the NCAA's chief medical advisors just said on a call regarding fall sports, "We have a serious problem. I feel like the Titanic. We have hit the iceberg and we're trying to make decisions of when the band should play."

This quote relates to many things in our country right now.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:39 pm

lefty120 wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:ESPN's Heather Dinich just said on Get Up that one of the NCAA's chief medical advisors just said on a call regarding fall sports, "We have a serious problem. I feel like the Titanic. We have hit the iceberg and we're trying to make decisions of when the band should play."

This quote relates to many things in our country right now.

True. I think the NCAA wants to cancel the fall season but do they have the nerve to do it. The threat of the P5 Conferences leaving the NCAA is real I think.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:10 pm

Not Big 10 football, but my kid is going to Loras (D3). As of Monday evening, they were still playing football this fall. We moved him in Monday morning, along with all the other freshman football players. Throughout the day on Monday, they had team activities and meetings.

On Tuesday morning, they had an emergency team meeting and the head coach told them that the season was being postponed until the spring. Apparently, the NCAA established new guidelines that required daily Covid-19 testing. Loras and the other teams in the conference were doing daily temperature checks and a questionnaire but the NCAA did not feel that was stringent enough.

So, the kids who were already on campus were given the choice of staying or going home until school starts in 3 weeks. Our son decided to stay. The weight room and cafeteria are open every day and he has a PlayStation in his room so he is basically on vacation! Very Happy
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:20 pm

That's the dream...go to college without those pesky classes getting in the way...
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:40 pm

19delta wrote:Not Big 10 football, but my kid is going to Loras (D3). As of Monday evening, they were still playing football this fall. We moved him in Monday morning, along with all the other freshman football players. Throughout the day on Monday, they had team activities and meetings.

On Tuesday morning, they had an emergency team meeting and the head coach told them that the season was being postponed until the spring. Apparently, the NCAA established new guidelines that required daily Covid-19 testing. Loras and the other teams in the conference were doing daily temperature checks and a questionnaire but the NCAA did not feel that was stringent enough.

So, the kids who were already on campus were given the choice of staying or going home until school starts in 3 weeks. Our son decided to stay. The weight room and cafeteria are open every day and he has a PlayStation in his room so he is basically on vacation! Very Happy

Greenville's conference made the call a few weeks ago...we move ours in Monday; they have team workouts during the week, then classes start on 8/24...they're having some practices from what we understand during the fall. Could be a huge advantage for incoming frosh to learn the scheme's and in's and out's of college fb life...hopefully.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:31 pm

lefty120 wrote:
19delta wrote:Not Big 10 football, but my kid is going to Loras (D3). As of Monday evening, they were still playing football this fall. We moved him in Monday morning, along with all the other freshman football players. Throughout the day on Monday, they had team activities and meetings.

Greenville's conference made the call a few weeks ago...we move ours in Monday; they have team workouts during the week, then classes start on 8/24...they're having some practices from what we understand during the fall.  Could be a huge advantage for incoming frosh to learn the scheme's and in's and out's of college fb life...hopefully.  

My wife and I think that this is the best-case scenario. Our guy is going to be an engineering major so now he has a couple months to get his feet under him academically before getting ready to play football in the spring.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Teetime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:23 pm

I’ll bet Loras as could have gotten Nebraska to pay for those daily tests if they would have agreed to play the Cornhuskers in a game in Lincoln .

Probably could have gotten $100,000 as well.

Teetime
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:34 pm

College teammate of mine is long time DC at Hope College. D3 in Michigan Conference. NCAA is giving 114 practice opportunities this year to schools.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:53 pm

center wrote:College teammate of mine is long time DC at Hope College. D3 in Michigan Conference. NCAA is giving 114 practice opportunities this year to schools.

maybe i'm totally off base here, but are they using teams as guinea pigs? monitor covid for future reference? i'm definitely not a conspiracy theory guy. but 114 practices is really a questionable number. is this fall and winter?
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:06 pm

net wrote:
center wrote:College teammate of mine is long time DC at Hope College. D3 in Michigan Conference. NCAA is giving 114 practice opportunities this year to schools.

maybe i'm totally off base here, but are they using teams as guinea pigs? monitor covid for future reference? i'm definitely not a conspiracy theory guy. but 114 practices is really a questionable number. is this fall and winter?

Good question. It makes you wonder.

The 114 is total for the rest of the school year. Including any games or scrimmages they play.

A lot of D3 schools are going to use the fall for the spring practice they missed out on last year. So they can’t play but they can practice 3 times a week the rest of the school year??

center
Bee-otch

net likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:06 am

More on myocarditis. Apparently the NCAA is aware of 12 cases in athletes already. I think it's at least 50/50 that none of the Conferences will be playing fall football.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/88060
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:03 am

OSUBucks wrote:More on myocarditis. Apparently the NCAA is aware of 12 cases in athletes already. I think it's at least 50/50 that none of the Conferences will be playing fall football.

I am not discounting that this occurs after a COVID infection but is this a case of now we are looking for it so the prevalence of the disease is going to increase?

Is it possible that these individuals had a bad flu or even cold or another conditions that could have caused this on top of COVID?
dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:08 am

dusty7 wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:More on myocarditis. Apparently the NCAA is aware of 12 cases in athletes already. I think it's at least 50/50 that none of the Conferences will be playing fall football.

I am not discounting that this occurs after a COVID infection but is this a case of now we are looking for it so the prevalence of the disease is going to increase?  

Is it possible that these individuals had a bad flu or even cold or another conditions that could have caused this on top of COVID?

Good point and one to definitely consider as it is known to have come from a number of other illnesses besides just COVID. My question then after your statement would be, 'does it matter how we come to find out these kids have this'? As a parent, I'd be concerned about anything to do with the heart and athletics. I also think an important question is, 'how many kids / people actually have developed this and been okay in the long run if it is indeed caused by other illnesses that we've all had'? I had the flu terribly about 6 years ago...I was down and out for a good week before I could go back to school and probably a good 2 weeks before I could start drinking beer again (an important frame of reference I think), did I develop this after that?

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:10 am

The bottom line is, this is all just crazy ass shit that we are experiencing right now...from COVID, to sports, to school, to politics...there's days I just want to move to Montana and work on John Dutton's ranch the rest of my life and hope that RIP will be accepting of me.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:11 pm

lefty120 wrote:
dusty7 wrote:

Good point and one to definitely consider as it is known to have come from a number of other illnesses besides just COVID. My question then after your statement would be, 'does it matter how we come to find out these kids have this'? As a parent, I'd be concerned about anything to do with the heart and athletics. I also think an important question is, 'how many kids / people actually have developed this and been okay in the long run if it is indeed caused by other illnesses that we've all had'? I had the flu terribly about 6 years ago...I was down and out for a good week before I could go back to school and probably a good 2 weeks before I could start drinking beer again (an important frame of reference I think), did I develop this after that?

I believe it is associated more with Influenza A strain you had that strain of the flu it could be possible. It is a treatable condition when it is identified but there in lies the challenge, how do you go about identifying it? Does a screening become part of the yearly physical? Are kids now expected to sit out after getting sick until they get screened? As football is concerned, is this now a bigger issue than CTE?

As medical science progresses we continue to learn more about all diseases, their causes, treatments, etc., we will learn more about the risks associated with our every day activities. Is this a reason to stop living your life, in my opinion, absolutely not but there are many people out there that believe the fear narrative that is present in the media. There are risks all around us and there are inherent risks with just being alive Life is a continuous Cost-Benefit Analysis in the risks and benefits in the activities that we choose to do.
dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:02 pm

dusty7 wrote:
lefty120 wrote:
dusty7 wrote:

Good point and one to definitely consider as it is known to have come from a number of other illnesses besides just COVID.  My question then after your statement would be, 'does it matter how we come to find out these kids have this'?  As a parent, I'd be concerned about anything to do with the heart and athletics.  I also think an important question is, 'how many kids / people actually have developed this and been okay in the long run if it is indeed caused by other illnesses that we've all had'?  I had the flu terribly about 6 years ago...I was down and out for a good week before I could go back to school and probably a good 2 weeks before I could start drinking beer again (an important frame of reference I think), did I develop this after that?  

I believe it is associated more with Influenza A strain you had that strain of the flu it could be possible. It is a treatable condition when it is identified but there in lies the challenge, how do you go about identifying it?  Does a screening become part of the yearly physical? Are kids now expected to sit out after getting sick until they get screened? As football is concerned, is this now a bigger issue than CTE?

As medical science progresses we continue to learn more about all diseases, their causes, treatments, etc., we will learn more about the risks associated with our every day activities. Is this a reason to stop living your life, in my opinion, absolutely not but there are many people out there that believe the fear narrative that is present in the media. There are risks all around us and there are inherent risks with just being alive  Life is a continuous Cost-Benefit Analysis in the risks and benefits in the activities that we choose to do.  

Great point about CTE...man, could there have been a bigger medical issue in the last 30 years before COVID for athletes than that? Is it safe to say football players are more likely to develop CTE than complications from COVID? I wouldn't know, but my guess is CTE is more serious and more likely...again, just my uneducated thought.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:48 pm

dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:28 pm

It sure sounds like the study was flawed. The youngest person in that study was 45. That would hardly be the same as a healthy 20 year old.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:53 pm

This is the kind of stuff that makes people doubt "experts".
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:18 am

dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:16 pm

7) Why after six months of prevalence in the USA is the heart issue only to come to light now?

Big Ten: We always were aware of myocarditis risk but a key study published just two weeks ago in the major medical publication Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) alerts us that a whopping 78% of patients had myocardial inflammation. This study can’t be ignored.

SEC: Yes, we read JAMA too but that study involved patients whose youngest age was 45, used cardiac MRI and was only an imaging study. In other words, it was a much older demographic with MRI findings of questionable clinical significance.

I got a pretty big kick out of this exchange in the article....the SEC telling the B1G that they can also read.

Teetime
Admin

OldTitan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum