Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big10 Football

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Big10 Football - Page 6 Empty Re: Big10 Football

Post by Teetime on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
dusty7 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, I was young at the time, but it seemed like Jim Edgar did a decent job of running the state during his time as governor?  Maybe that is only because he didn't wind up in jail.

I've had the opportunity meet both him and George Ryan several times due to my grandma working in Ryan's office when he was governor and being close friends with Edgar. I remember Edgar being very genuine but Ryan was not nearly as sincere. Actually sat next to Edgar at the Final Four in '05 along with Bill Murray and his brother in the row behind me.  
Edgar did do a good job.

He was also governor during some of the best economic years in American history outside 1948-1960ish.

Here is a legacy of Jim Edgar:

"Prior to 1981, the State of Illinois funded pensions on an "as-you-go" basis, making benefit payouts as they came due, with employee contributions and investment income funding a reserve to cover future payouts. This approach was stopped in 1982 due to strains on the Illinois budget, and state contributions remained flat between 1982 and 1995, resulting in under funding of pensions by approximately $20 billion. To address this shortfall, the Illinois legislature, in 1994, passed and then-Governor Edgar signed Public Act 88-593, which set payments by the State of Illinois into the pension funds at only 90 percent of liabilities, stretched this funding level over 50 years until 2045, and back-loaded payments with a 15-year ramp. The under funding of pension reserves over the first fifteen years was not fiscally sound, and was the major cause of a large gap between the State's obligations to pay pension benefits and the funds available to pay those benefits. As Governor, Edgar signed the pension legislation into law, and for this reason, the initial under funding of pensions became known as the "Edgar Ramp." The US Federal Securities and Exchange Commission described this analysis in a report." (https://www.sec.gov/litigation/admin/2013/33-9389.pdf)

In 1995 and 1996 the Republicans controlled the House, the Senate and the Governor's Mansion. If they felt the need to fix the "Edgar Ramp" they had a chance.

Teetime
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:56 pm

They were talking about pension funding issues back in 1959 under the Stratton administration.

https://www.sj-r.com/x846054923/State-of-Illinois-record-of-shorting-pensions-goes-back-decades

The Edgar ramp just basically pushed all the larger payments up well into the future (where we're at now). There is one fact that every politician in Springfield should be clear about by now, that pensions have to be paid. When Quinn was Governor he had a plan to give the pensioners, in his words, a haircut. The ILSC ruled unanimously that he couldn't do that. Basically each state retiree has an individual contract with the state. It's in both the state and US constitution that states may pass no laws impairing the obligation of contracts. Game over. In recent years I've seen ideas to present retirees with several pension options in an effort to save money. They can do that as long as one of the options is keeping the same pension terms you have now.
If the tax referendum on the ballot fails then the state will likely just have to raise the flat tax rate on everyone. The timing couldn't be worse for all those workers just getting back to work from this Pandemic.

OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:43 pm

I don't know all the details, I only know what I know. My brother-in-law and I are the same age. We both spent exactly 30 years working for our final employers (me, Caterpillar, him the State of IL). We both retired at 53. I'm making about 35% of my final paycheck in retirement. He's making about 80% (from what I can see on the website that shows payouts).

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:46 pm

Teetime wrote:
In 1995 and 1996 the Republicans controlled the House, the Senate and the Governor's Mansion. If they felt the need to fix the "Edgar Ramp" they had a chance.
2 WHOLE years? Wow.

I'm sure you place the same level of blame on Dems for the 18ish years since that Illinois Democrats have failed to act as well...
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:53 pm

Save money in Illinois? We could start with the couple billion spent on illegal immigrants in Illinois every year.

But we won't. We'll continue to hand them free stuff while asking the citizens to foot the bill. Cause, you know, empathy, heart, love, blah, blah, blah. Couldn't be buying votes...
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:08 pm

Head Idiot wrote: Cause, you know, empathy, heart, love, blah, blah, blah. Couldn't be buying votes...

Illegal immigrants are not allowed to vote.

Teetime
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:50 pm

Teetime wrote:Illegal immigrants are not allowed to vote.

Well, not legally, anyway....

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:11 am

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote: Cause, you know, empathy, heart, love, blah, blah, blah. Couldn't be buying votes...

Illegal immigrants are not allowed to vote.
No, but their kids will be. And if a growing number of Democrats get their way, they will be able to.

And just like Republicans locked up the black vote 1865-1940, they're banking on that voting block for the future.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 am

Head Idiot wrote:And just like Republicans locked up the black vote 1865-1940, they're banking on that voting block for the future.

Remind me again, how did the republicans lose the black vote in 1940.

Never mind...I found it:

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/07/14/331298996/why-did-black-voters-flee-the-republican-party-in-the-1960s

Teetime
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:55 am

NPR....

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes, those forward thinking Dems and their war on racism and poverty from Kennedy and Johnson. Tell me again how that's turning out. Oh ya, all that "systemic" racism caused by Republicans in those Democrat cities and states keeps gettingin the way.

"I’ll have those n*ggers voting Democratic for 200 years"- LBJ on his "Great Society"
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:31 am

So anyway....

why has the Big 10 still not voted? Who is holding up the decision?
dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Head Idiot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:13 am

I think one of the things still be worked out is the money. Schools that are opting out of playing still feeling that they are contractually owed their share.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:05 am

OSUBucks wrote:I think one of the things still be worked out is the money. Schools that are opting out of playing still  feeling that they are contractually owed their share.

well then pritzker can pay u of i and northwestern.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:24 pm

OSUBucks wrote:I think one of the things still be worked out is the money. Schools that are opting out of playing still feeling that they are contractually owed their share.

I think after this whole thing, every contract will now include what will happen during a Pandemic. I know we are adding a section in our Teacher's Contract on the expectations for Remote Learning. I would think this is going to happen in all sports contracts as well.

In my opinion, those who decide to play get a share of the revenue. If you choose not to play, you are not contributing anything, so why should you get paid? It's always nice when the minority (IL, NW, Mich, and Rutgers) get to hold up the decision and prevent the majority from doing what they want. Should these schools decide not to play, the ramifications will be detrimental to their athletic programs. Also, with this decision, these schools are also saying they will not be playing basketball which will further ruin their revenue streams and future recruiting.
dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

OSUBucks likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:29 pm

dusty7 wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:I think one of the things still be worked out is the money. Schools that are opting out of playing still feeling that they are contractually owed their share.

I think after this whole thing, every contract will now include what will happen during a Pandemic.  I know we are adding a section in our Teacher's Contract on the expectations for Remote Learning.  I would think this is going to happen in all sports contracts as well.

In my opinion, those who decide to play get a share of the revenue. If you choose not to play, you are not contributing anything, so why should you get paid? It's always nice when the minority (IL, NW, Mich, and Rutgers) get to hold up the decision and prevent the majority from doing what they want. Should these schools decide not to play, the ramifications will be detrimental to their athletic programs. Also, with this decision, these schools are also saying they will not be playing basketball which will further ruin their revenue streams and future recruiting.  

Agree, if you choose to stay home don't hold out your hand.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:18 pm

Official announcement coming soon I'm told. Still hearing October 17 and 8 game schedule.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:15 pm

I used to be a huge Nebraska fan. Bill Callahan ruined that. They've brought me fully back with this Rona episode.

https://www.outkick.com/nebraska-president-ted-carter-heard-on-hot-mic-saying-big-ten-announcement-tonight/
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:24 pm

Head Idiot wrote:I used to be a huge Nebraska fan. Bill Callahan ruined that. They've brought me fully back with this Rona episode.

https://www.outkick.com/nebraska-president-ted-carter-heard-on-hot-mic-saying-big-ten-announcement-tonight/

Ohio State and Nebraska never quit fighting and saved Big 10 football. I'll always love The Corn.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:36 pm

OSUBucks wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:I used to be a huge Nebraska fan. Bill Callahan ruined that. They've brought me fully back with this Rona episode.

Ohio State and Nebraska never quit fighting and saved Big 10 football. I'll always love The Corn.
I can even sorta respect OSU now too. Razz
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:29 pm

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 am

They pushed the start back to October 24. Eight game schedule with no bye weeks. I haven't seen schedules yet. Two of Ohio State's best players apparently have opted out. They are CB Shaun Wade and RG Wyatt Davis. Both were projected as 1st round picks.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 pm

OSUBucks wrote:I think one of the things still be worked out is the money. Schools that are opting out of playing still  feeling that they are contractually owed their share.

How was it thought some schools were opting out? Was there a news story or some source talking to a sports writer?

Teetime
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:24 pm

Teetime
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:53 pm

OSUBucks wrote:They pushed the start back to October 24. Eight game schedule with no bye weeks. I haven't seen schedules yet. Two of Ohio State's best players apparently have opted out. They are CB Shaun Wade and RG Wyatt Davis. Both were projected as 1st round picks.

The rest of the conference was just screwing with Ohio State.....waiting to start football only after those two guys dropped out.

Teetime
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:50 pm

Teetime wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:They pushed the start back to October 24. Eight game schedule with no bye weeks. I haven't seen schedules yet. Two of Ohio State's best players apparently have opted out. They are CB Shaun Wade and RG Wyatt Davis. Both were projected as 1st round picks.

The rest of the conference was just screwing with Ohio State.....waiting to start football only after those two guys dropped out.

Believe it or not some people thought that. Latest I heard this afternoon is that those 2 guys might come back. They haven't signed anything yet. There is a pretty strong feeling on the staff that with all their guys they can make a run at the title. Also I hear that it's a 9 game schedule. On the day of the Big 10 championship game the rest of the Conference will be playing too, against teams in the other Division.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum