Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big10 Football

+17
Teetime
tm
general maximus
guerin
OldTitan
BirdWatcher
mc140
tps
center
19delta
newcom
Head Idiot
dusty7
wolverine55
net
lefty120
OSUBucks
21 posters

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

Big10 Football - Page 5 Empty Re: Big10 Football

Post by Head Idiot Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:40 am

dusty7 wrote:The other day in my Econ class we were going over Cost/Benefit and Marginal Analysis. This is often how I look at things, are the costs worth the benefits?

Giving up some freedoms, as we have done with this since March, don't bother most people, but what scares me is when we are told that we get some of the freedoms back they can be taken away at any time.  Now the govt has set the standard in how we the people are treated and there is very little we can do.

JB has entirely too much control of what is happening right now in our state.  He continuously states he is following science but never provides any details on that science other than new cases and deaths, both of which are scary without context.  Average deaths per week have been flat since May, no spike from the increase in cases.  Same with hospitalizations, they have not increased much over the past few months. Of course some people will get sick but we are treating that situation like it is 100% preventable and all other illnesses do not matter anymore.

Sadly, looks like the Big 10 will be voting today and Illinois and Northwestern will not be playing Football, if anything this season.  Those programs will be ruined for years to come if that is the case.  

At the HS level, kids lives have been drastically altered and for many, they have lost opportunities to be successful at something, which many kids need something positive, especially in Chicago.  

The governor is not listening to anyone and uses his own personal financial interests to guide his decisions.  Should this fair tax pass, I will be moving my family out of Illinois, just like JB has moved his businesses to Wisconsin.  
You mean we can't trust the word of a man who tells us he wants to pay more in taxes, yet removed toilets from his mansion next door to avoid paying taxes and then hired a top dollar law firm to defend him in a lawsuit that probably ended up costing him more than just paying the tax?

Oh ye of little faith!
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:47 am

Saw this article in the tribune the other day. I found it to be very educational...and maybe I’m reading this wrong, which is entirely possible; but the way this reads to me is that people in the middle class, which my wife and I very much are, would actually be paying less in state taxes with this plan. Again, not arguing with anyone; and perhaps OT could explain this better, but that’s the take I had on how this would affect my wife and I.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-cb-illinois-pritzker-graduated-income-tax-20200820-g3lrqjqp2ne7rkjxkjammf2ub4-story.html

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:53 am

lefty120 wrote:Saw this article in the tribune the other day. I found it to be very educational...and maybe I’m reading this wrong, which is entirely possible; but the way this reads to me is that people in the middle class, which my wife and I very much are, would actually be paying less in state taxes with this plan. Again, not arguing with anyone; and perhaps OT could explain this better, but that’s the take I had on how this would affect my wife and I.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-cb-illinois-pritzker-graduated-income-tax-20200820-g3lrqjqp2ne7rkjxkjammf2ub4-story.html

Yes, at first we will be paying less in taxes but the law gives the General Assembly the power to raise taxes without approval of the people. Right now it takes an amendment in the Constitution.

Taxes will be low at first but will steadily increase as years progress when the state continues to spend money it doesn't have. When given the opportunity, the government will always raise taxes, especially if the opinions of the people don't even matter.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:02 am

Fair enough. Hopefully I’m retired and living in Florida by the time taxes get to high and I won’t give a crap.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:40 pm

The name of it is the greatest scam. "Fair tax". I didn't think there was anything more fair than everyone pays the same portion of whatever they have, but then again I haven't been properly conditioned to resent people for success I guess.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:37 pm

dusty7 wrote:Yes, at first we will be paying less in taxes but the law gives the General Assembly the power to raise taxes without approval of the people. Right now it takes an amendment in the Constitution.

Taxes will be low at first but will steadily increase as years progress when the state continues to spend money it doesn't have. When given the opportunity, the government will always raise taxes, especially if the opinions of the people don't even matter.  

The Illinois legislature has the power to raise your income taxes RIGHT NOW without the approval of the people in a referendum. They have done just that twice since 2011.

https://www.civicfed.org/iifs/blog/state-illinois-raises-income-taxes-may-not-have-fixed-budget-problems

The proposed law just lets them raise the taxes on SOME people at a higher rate and leave the rates the same, lower them or raise other peoples tax rates to a different level than other people's rates.

Under the current law (the Illinois Constitution) the rate has to be the same for everyone...the proposed Constitutional change does away with that requirement. The fear (mostly expressed by higher income people) is that it will be too easy for the legislature to raise the rates on people who make over $500,000 or over $250,000 or over $175,000 because if they are able to keep the rates the same or lower for those UNDER the $250,000 level there just won't be enough angry people to cost them their jobs in the next election.

Under our current Constitution, if they want to raise the rate of those making over $500,000 to 6% or 7% then EVERYONE's rates have to go to that level and EVERYONE gets mad, sometimes mad enough to vote them out.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:50 pm

Teetime wrote:EVERYONE gets mad, sometimes mad enough to vote them out.
Except they don't and that's why we've had a monarchy for 30 years with King Michael running the state into the ground.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:59 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
Except they don't and that's why we've had a monarchy for 30 years with King Michael running the state into the ground.

Well in that case the wealthy folks shouldn't care at all about the legislature getting this Constitutional Amendment passed or not. If it won't make any difference we should all vote for it so that they only raise the rates on those other guys and not us.

Admin

OSUBucks likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:06 pm

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

Well in that case the wealthy folks shouldn't care at all about the legislature getting this Constitutional Amendment passed or not. If it won't make any difference we should all vote for it so that they only raise the rates on those other guys and not us.
If you believe they're not going to raise your taxes too, I don't know what to tell you.

How do you believe a single word Illinois Democrats utter?

You also realize Madigan's other job is to get people out of paying the taxes he passes right?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Head Idiot wrote:You also realize Madigan's other job is to get people out of paying the taxes he passes right?

Madigan, in his law practice, helps people lower their property taxes. Property taxes are NOT passed by the Illinois Legislature. Those are all local taxes passed by your School District, County, City, Village, Township, Park District, Library District, Drainage District and various other units of local government that are not controlled by the Illinois Legislature.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 pm

Big 10 will likely resume play October 17. Some details such as scheduling still being worked on. Announcement could come later tonight. I don't know how many teams are playing but I did hear that Rutgers doesn't want to play. They shouldn't be in the Conference anyway. I'd like to see Illinois play but not betting on it.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:23 pm

Rutgers is only in the conference to get the cable channel on NY TVs.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:29 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Rutgers is only in the conference to get the cable channel on NY TVs.

Yep, That's got to be the only reason Jim Delany brought them in. They've got Schiano back, maybe he can build them back to respectability. I'm not betting on it.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:42 pm

OSUBucks wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:Rutgers is only in the conference to get the cable channel on NY TVs.

Yep, That's got to be the only reason Jim Delany brought them in. They've got Schiano back, maybe he can build them back to respectability. I'm not betting on it.
Well, the TV thing and it's always nice to have an off week in the middle of the conference schedule.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:53 pm

Well now I'm hearing that the vote will come tomorrow. Presidents probably need time to talk to their respective boards.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:59 pm

OSUBucks wrote:Well now I'm hearing that the vote will come tomorrow. Presidents probably need time to talk to their respective boards.
And their elected officials. Very Happy
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:08 pm

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:You also realize Madigan's other job is to get people out of paying the taxes he passes right?

Madigan, in his law practice, helps people lower their property taxes. Property taxes are NOT passed by the Illinois Legislature. Those are all local taxes passed by your School District, County, City, Village, Township, Park District, Library District, Drainage District and various other units of local government that are not controlled by the Illinois Legislature.

So you really do not think he has a conflict of interest? Besides the fact he has controlled the person in charge of the Cook County assessors office until the last election. Public schools are primarily founded by local property taxes in Illinois. Madigan is in charge of setting those laws. If he wanted it changed at almost any point in the last 20 years he could have.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:36 pm

If he wanted what changed? How public schools are funded? That is in the Illinois Constitution.

The comment I was responding to was that “Madigan got his law clients out of paying taxes he had passed”. I’m saying that is just a false statement.

Does he have other conflicts of interest? I’m certain he does. That wasn’t HI’s claim.

Madigan doesn’t pass any property tax levies or assessments. Those are all the work of your local governments, mainly school districts.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:07 pm

State pensions and other types of retirement income could be taxed under this new amendment, not only do they not have the money to pay these pensions, they are going to tax those on fixed incomes and can vote at anytime to increase those taxes.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illinois-treasurer-says-fair-tax-makes-retirement-tax-more-likely/

Regardless of who you are or what income level you are in or you get income, your taxes will go up. Remember, this is Illinois. Not sure what he is trying to accomplish as this type of tax had failed in Connecticut and I think Maryland as well.

From the article "That is what happened in Connecticut, the only state in the past 30 years to impose a progressive tax. Middle class taxes rose 13%, property taxes spiked 35%, poverty increased by 50%, more than 360,000 jobs were lost and the state economy took a $10 billion hit. All that, and the state still failed to balance its budget."
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:58 am

Bottom line our state is a shit show...I’m not great with the economic side of things, but I know numerous administrations, both republican and Democrat have failed the people of our state.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:00 pm

lefty120 wrote:Bottom line our state is a shit show...I’m not great with the economic side of things, but I know numerous administrations, both republican and Democrat have failed the people of our state.
It's hard to do anything as Governor as a Republican when the legislature and purse strings are controlled by one man and it isn't you.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:11 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was young at the time, but it seemed like Jim Edgar did a decent job of running the state during his time as governor? Maybe that is only because he didn't wind up in jail.

I've had the opportunity meet both him and George Ryan several times due to my grandma working in Ryan's office when he was governor and being close friends with Edgar. I remember Edgar being very genuine but Ryan was not nearly as sincere. Actually sat next to Edgar at the Final Four in '05 along with Bill Murray and his brother in the row behind me.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:17 pm

dusty7 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, I was young at the time, but it seemed like Jim Edgar did a decent job of running the state during his time as governor?  Maybe that is only because he didn't wind up in jail.

I've had the opportunity meet both him and George Ryan several times due to my grandma working in Ryan's office when he was governor and being close friends with Edgar. I remember Edgar being very genuine but Ryan was not nearly as sincere. Actually sat next to Edgar at the Final Four in '05 along with Bill Murray and his brother in the row behind me.  
Edgar did do a good job.

He was also governor during some of the best economic years in American history outside 1948-1960ish.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:32 pm

dusty7 wrote:State pensions and other types of retirement income could be taxed under this new amendment, not only do they not have the money to pay these pensions, they are going to tax those on fixed incomes and can vote at anytime to increase those taxes.  

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illinois-treasurer-says-fair-tax-makes-retirement-tax-more-likely/

Regardless of who you are or what income level you are in or you get income, your taxes will go up.  Remember, this is Illinois. Not sure what he is trying to accomplish as this type of tax had failed in Connecticut and I think Maryland as well.  

From the article "That is what happened in Connecticut, the only state in the past 30 years to impose a progressive tax. Middle class taxes rose 13%, property taxes spiked 35%, poverty increased by 50%, more than 360,000 jobs were lost and the state economy took a $10 billion hit. All that, and the state still failed to balance its budget."

Retirement income is taxed by almost every state in the union that has an income tax. I think of the states that tax income all but six tax retirement income including Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana and Kentucky.

Most states and the United States of America have a graduated income tax including Missouri, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa and Kentucky.

You wrote "not only do they not have the money to pay these pensions, they are going to tax those on fixed incomes and can vote at anytime to increase those taxes" That's right. Illinois doesn't have enough money to pay the pensions. One reason is that our tax system is so antiquated. If it were progressive like all of our neighbors and if it taxed retirement like all of our neighbors maybe they could afford the pensions. If not, the most logical solution is to cut the pensions (that are way richer than all of our neighboring states).

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:52 pm

From the Illinois Policy Institute article cited by dusty7:

"That is what happened in Connecticut, the only state in the past 30 years to impose a progressive tax. Middle class taxes rose 13%, property taxes spiked 35%, poverty increased by 50%, more than 360,000 jobs were lost and the state economy took a $10 billion hit. All that, and the state still failed to balance its budget".

This is misleading. States DON'T get any property taxes, that all goes to the local government units. Those taxes are raised by the people right there in the County you live in.

Also, the numbers are misleading. In Illinois we had a flat tax of 3% from 1969 until about 2010. The rate got bumped up to 5% and the Illinois Policy Institute called that a 67% tax increase.... 2%/3% is 67%. But most people would call that a 2% increase because it is costing them 2% of their pay. That is what they are doing in the Connecticut example. Over 30 years their property taxes have gone up 35% while the value of the homes and land they are taxing went up 185%, the Illinois Policy Institute doesn't mention that. Poverty went up by 50% they say but they don't say they are counting the number of people below the federally declared "poverty level" and that level has gone up 106% over those thirty years.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next