Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Into the Wild bus

4 posters

Go down

Into the Wild bus Empty Into the Wild bus

Post by Head Idiot Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:31 pm

What's next? Are we going to bomb the top off Mt Everest because it's too dangerous?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/alaska-into-the-wild-bus-removed-trnd/index.html
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Into the Wild bus Empty Re: Into the Wild bus

Post by Teetime Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:09 pm

Head Idiot wrote:What's next? Are we going to bomb the top off Mt Everest because it's too dangerous?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/alaska-into-the-wild-bus-removed-trnd/index.html

Sounds like they were just tired of difficult rescues that these people were causing while trying to visit that bus. It wasn't a "nanny state" thing, but more of a "go away" thing.

Why does the bus removal bother you?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:17 pm

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:What's next? Are we going to bomb the top off Mt Everest because it's too dangerous?

Sounds like they were just tired of difficult rescues that these people were causing while trying to visit that bus. It wasn't a "nanny state" thing, but more of a "go away" thing.

Why does the bus removal bother you?
Tired of the whole "in the name of safety" crap. Don't want to rescue them anymore? Don't do it. Let people know they won't come for you.

The entire act of removing this is exactly what Chris McCandless was running away from.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:22 pm

We have to leave deathtraps laying around because of Chris McCandless' warped belief system?

WTF?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:28 pm

Teetime wrote:We have to leave deathtraps laying around because of Chris McCandless' warped belief system?

WTF?
Did you read the book?

And this response is why these stories irritate me.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:33 pm

I was in Denali just last summer. The locals were not fans of the bus or McCandless.

I read the book when it came out (I'm a big John Krakauer fan). I felt sorry for McCandless but man...he had no idea what he was getting himself into.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:37 pm

19delta wrote:I was in Denali just last summer. The locals were not fans of the bus or McCandless.

I read the book when it came out (I'm a big John Krakauer fan). I felt sorry for McCandless but man...he had no idea what he was getting himself into.
No, he didn't. But, it was his life and the point was it was his life to do with it as he saw fit. Idk if he would have regretted his decisions, none of us do.

Speaking of Krakuer, three of his books are among my favorites- Into the Wild, Into Thin Air and Under the Banner of Heaven
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:27 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Did you read the book?

Hey, sorry if I hit a nerve. I did not read the book, As I understand it, It was not written by McCandless.

I did see the movie! If it was a fair representation of McCandless, I'll never read the book. It looked like he had very poor judgement and essentially committed suicide. It's just not my cup of berries.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:43 pm

Teetime wrote:It's just not my cup of berries.
Ouch
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:08 am

Teetime wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:Did you read the book?

Hey, sorry if I hit a nerve. I did not read the book, As I understand it, It was not written by McCandless.

I did see the movie! If it was a fair representation of McCandless, I'll never read the book. It looked like he had very poor judgement and essentially committed suicide. It's just not my cup of berries.

Oof. Laughing

Incidentally, there is a brewery called the 49th State Brewing Company in Healy, near where McCandless died. They have the movie prop bus in the parking lot.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:48 am

I’ve seen the movie 3-4 times. Haven’t read the book but would like to. I’ve always been fascinated by this story. I guess my question is, are there really that many people they have to rescue every year that make this a big deal? Like more than they normally have to rescue? It’s a very remote area from what I understand. I’d think hikers needing assistance from time to time is the norm, bus there or not.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:26 am

lefty120 wrote:I’ve seen the movie 3-4  times. Haven’t read the book but would like to. I’ve always been fascinated by this story. I guess my question is, are there really that many people they have to rescue every year that make this a big deal?  Like more than they normally have to rescue?  It’s a very remote area from what I understand. I’d think hikers needing assistance from time to time is the norm, bus there or not.

As far as Alaska goes, no, it's really not that remote. Healy is only about 30 miles from where he died. The area is popular with hunters, hikers, and off-roaders.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:29 pm

But at a time when personal freedom seems being put to a hard test, it is difficult to see this event as a simple move. Such a symbol, removed because became a danger, gives us food for thought and inevitably leaves a lot of questions about a world increasingly obsessed with pursuing its ambiguous sense of security.
https://indepest.com/2020/06/20/out-of-the-wild/
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum