Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phase 4 = high school football?

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Bighitter11 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:13 am

So heard there were 2 different proposals being worked up on behalf of the Coaches Association to present to the IHSA for the Spring Season. Also heard an email was sent to all head coaches asking for their thoughts on these.

Essentially there will be 6 Team districts. Each class would have 12 Districts

Option 1 - 5 Regular Season Games 4 Week Postseason. All District winners get in plus 4 more teams tiebreaker is fewest points allowed.

Option 2 - 5 Regular Season Games 5 Week Postseason. All 1st and 2nd place finishers and most 3rd gets in playoffs.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1452
Join date : 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by ramblinman on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:31 am

Bighitter11 wrote:So heard there were 2 different proposals being worked up on behalf of the Coaches Association to present to the IHSA for the Spring Season.  Also heard an email was sent to all head coaches asking for their thoughts on these.

Essentially there will be 6 Team districts. Each class would have 12 Districts

Option 1 - 5 Regular Season Games 4 Week Postseason. All District winners get in plus 4 more teams tiebreaker is fewest points allowed.

Option 2 - 5 Regular Season Games 5 Week Postseason. All 1st and 2nd place finishers and most 3rd gets in playoffs.

I'll take Option 2 with large fries and a Coke.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1843
Join date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by lefty120 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:36 am

That is correct coach. The results were pretty resounding to go with the 6 team district idea. Honestly, I don't care. I just want to play. I'd personally prefer a playoff option as opposed to the regional deal that is currently in place but it doesn't matter. I think the heavy hitters in our state want to see a chance to win a state championship and are moving their weight around a bit to see that happen. I think the only way to legitimately do that is if the regular season is shortened.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Posts : 563
Join date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Ghengis Khan on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:42 am

Not trying to be a pessimist, but is anyone confident the powers that be will let HS football season happen in Illinois?

Ghengis Khan
Bee-otch

Posts : 184
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by tm on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:42 am

I don't have a real stake in this, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong....

But, is the playoff system that important, to only allow 22% of teams to play more than 5 games (Option 1). Option 2 is a little better, but still not great. To me, something more like a college "bowl game" system, or a "regional" playoff would make more sense for a short season. Or allow non-playoff teams to schedule a couple extra games while playoffs are being played, even if that is a scheduling headache for the schools.

Do these options mean there will be an actual "state" champion? That seems a little strange, when the fall sports running now had to stop at regionals/sectionals.
tm
tm
Bee-otch

Posts : 728
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 46
Location : here

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Bighitter11 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:49 am

TM to answer your question i believe there is more to the format including two tiers that would allow those teams that did not make the playoffs to play more games. Soucie sent me his proposal I just dont know If am allowed to leak it.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1452
Join date : 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Bighitter11 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:04 am

Ghengis Khan wrote:Not trying to be a pessimist, but is anyone confident the powers that be will let HS football season happen in Illinois?

I still dont feel confident at all about a season in spring.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1452
Join date : 2010-02-09

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by lefty120 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:04 am

tm wrote:I don't have a real stake in this, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong....

But, is the playoff system that important, to only allow 22% of teams to play more than 5 games (Option 1). Option 2 is a little better, but still not great. To me, something more like a college "bowl game" system, or a "regional" playoff would make more sense for a short season. Or allow non-playoff teams to schedule a couple extra games while playoffs are being played, even if that is a scheduling headache for the schools.

Do these options mean there will be an actual "state" champion? That seems a little strange, when the fall sports running now had to stop at regionals/sectionals.

I'd tend to agree with you on several of your points. There is something to be said about the playoffs, our state does a nice job with it and it is special. However, the strength of the voice from the teams that perennially challenge for a state title is very loud right now. And it's my feeling the IHSFCA (our state organization) wants to keep them happy. It's always been a bit of a club at the top...and I'll say, I find it interesting that this is when the association chooses to speak up; when state titles can or can't be achieved. They've been relatively radio silent up until this point with the exceptions being to relay information from the IHSA that we already knew or to ask us for our membership dues. This is all being generated by them, the IHSA has said nothing of changing the format they put forth back in the summer when they moved the season. Now, 75% responded that they'd prefer the adjusted format and I was one of them, but it'll be interesting to see what the IHSA does here.

I think we will know more on if we will have a season as we get into January. In my gut, I still feel like it's 50/50 at best we play.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Posts : 563
Join date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by dusty7 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:34 pm

Ghengis Khan wrote:Not trying to be a pessimist, but is anyone confident the powers that be will let HS football season happen in Illinois?

I am cautiously optimistic in that all but a handful of states have successfully played football this fall and while there have been a few cases of COVID, it has not been anywhere near what people expected. Now I have not done a ton of research but I do not know of more than a handful of schools that shutdown playing and I would figure if spread was really bad it would be covered by the media and I have not heard/seen this happening.

Also, the governor and his staff are receiving a lot of push back through protests, social media, and now even negative news coverage. If we really want to see any semblance of a season for basketball, football, wrestling, baseball, track, or any other sports, parents, coaches, and students need to continue to keep the pressure on the governor.

There is a meeting for basketball on October 19 and a survey with specific results of positive tests was released, numbers were very low. I guess part of the discussion is if players should wear masks during competition but I do not see that happening.

My guess is that basketball will be played but will get pushed back for three reasons
1.)The uptick in positivity in recent weeks
2)If the governor suddenly changes his mind between now and a few weeks after the election, the perception will be that it was a political move. One think to keep in mind is the Ezeike has a daughter who I hear is a very talented bball player and if he all of a sudden says it's okay, it will look bad on his part.
3) The science and data from other states will demonstrate that seasons can be conducted in a safe manner as long as coaches follow the necessary safety measures.

My prediction:
Basketball - practices start December 14, Competition January - February
Football - practices start mid-February, Competition March - April
Baseball - practices start mid-April, Competition May - June




dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1282
Join date : 2010-06-21
Location : Grundy County

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by lefty120 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:23 pm

Every state around us that's playing fall sports has seen an increase in cases this fall. Is it safe to assume that kids may not be showing symptoms but are carriers to others at home? Schools being in session could also play a part. Again, I'm in favor of playing and I also think we could be playing now; but the people in charge making these decisions see numbers and situations that worry them for some reason. We can all say what we want about Pritzker, but our numbers have stayed relatively low in comparison to most other states around the country. Even as we tick above 4%, we are still way below that of neighboring states.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Posts : 563
Join date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:27 pm

lefty120 wrote:Every state around us that's playing fall sports has seen an increase in cases this fall.  Is it safe to assume that kids may not be showing symptoms but are carriers to others at home?  Schools being in session could also play a part.  Again, I'm in favor of playing and I also think we could be playing now; but the people in charge making these decisions see numbers and situations that worry them for some reason.  We can all say what we want about Pritzker, but our numbers have stayed relatively low in comparison to most other states around the country.  Even as we tick above 4%, we are still way below that of neighboring states.  
1. Those states have a lot fewer other restrictions besides football. That certainly probably also figures in their rates.

2. Those states % were also almost non existent when we were getting hammered in Illinois. I would be interested to see a 7 month % comparison.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 11443
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 102
Location : Here

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by lefty120 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:35 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
lefty120 wrote:Every state around us that's playing fall sports has seen an increase in cases this fall.  Is it safe to assume that kids may not be showing symptoms but are carriers to others at home?  Schools being in session could also play a part.  Again, I'm in favor of playing and I also think we could be playing now; but the people in charge making these decisions see numbers and situations that worry them for some reason.  We can all say what we want about Pritzker, but our numbers have stayed relatively low in comparison to most other states around the country.  Even as we tick above 4%, we are still way below that of neighboring states.  
1. Those states have a lot fewer other restrictions besides football. That certainly probably also figures in their rates.

2. Those states % were also almost non existent when we were getting hammered in Illinois. I would be interested to see a 7 month % comparison.

Fair enough. I wouldn't argue either of those points and would be interested to dive into those stats as well.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Posts : 563
Join date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by dusty7 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:04 pm

Another thing to consider with our low positivity is the fact we conduct more tests than all of those states around us. Their higher positivity is likely from more focused testing on those who have been exposed or are symptomatic which is likely to result in a higher rate.
dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1282
Join date : 2010-06-21
Location : Grundy County

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by ramblinman on Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:53 pm

dusty7 wrote:Another thing to consider with our low positivity is the fact we conduct more tests than all of those states around us.  Their higher positivity is likely from more focused testing on those who have been exposed or are symptomatic which is likely to result in a higher rate.

We are also the largest population state, by far, among those states with whom we share borders, so it makes sense that we would conduct more tests than neighboring states. Our recent numbers of daily confirmed cases are running darn close to those of Wisconsin, and we are more than twice their size.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1843
Join date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:10 pm

ramblinman wrote:
dusty7 wrote:Another thing to consider with our low positivity is the fact we conduct more tests than all of those states around us.  Their higher positivity is likely from more focused testing on those who have been exposed or are symptomatic which is likely to result in a higher rate.

We are also the largest population state, by far, among those states with whom we share borders, so it makes sense that we would conduct more tests than neighboring states.  Our recent numbers of daily confirmed cases are running darn close to those of Wisconsin, and we are more than twice their size.
As you have said though, our largest population center is EXTREMELY low. So, outside Chicagoland, our and Wisconsin's rates may be similar.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 11443
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 102
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by OSUBucks on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:14 pm

A lot of states are spiking like Illinois. The news isn't all bad. There's evidence that the latest mutation of the virus is less deadly.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 4198
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:27 pm

OSUBucks wrote: There's evidence that the latest mutation of the virus is less deadly.
Hasn't that been the case since June/July?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 11443
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 102
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by lefty120 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:32 am

I think I read somewhere that starting today or tomorrow maybe, the U of I saliva testing is not going to be figured into their county numbers. Can someone confirm that? I'd have to say that'll change our numbers quite a bit won't it?

Some of Pritzker's comments at his press conference yesterday, which he of course still does (why I'm not sure), were not encouraging for basketball at all. He made it sound like he'd be stupid to let anyone play now or in the near future (paraphrasing of course).

I know this is probably an extremely naive take, but I just can't bring myself to believe that he isn't allowing sports due to just political reasons. There are SO many people right now who are very outspoken, not just throughout the state but in the Chicagoland area as well. He has to know that this is massively affecting his re-election which is in just 2 short years. Unless he thinks he can re-build his support by then.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Posts : 563
Join date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:35 am

No basketball in Chicago could be a big political problem for him.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 11443
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 102
Location : Here

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by lefty120 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:56 am

Head Idiot wrote:No basketball in Chicago could be a big political problem for him.

I'd agree with that.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Posts : 563
Join date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by tm on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:53 am

lefty120 wrote:I think I read somewhere that starting today or tomorrow maybe, the U of I saliva testing is not going to be figured into their county numbers.  Can someone confirm that?  I'd have to say that'll change our numbers quite a bit won't it?  

Some of Pritzker's comments at his press conference yesterday, which he of course still does (why I'm not sure), were not encouraging for basketball at all.  He made it sound like he'd be stupid to let anyone play now or in the near future (paraphrasing of course).

I know this is probably an extremely naive take, but I just can't bring myself to believe that he isn't allowing sports due to just political reasons.  There are SO many people right now who are very outspoken, not just throughout the state but in the Chicagoland area as well.  He has to know that this is massively affecting his re-election which is in just 2 short years.  Unless he thinks he can re-build his support by then.

It changes the numbers a lot. Including the UofI testing, Region 6 is at 2.2% for the 7-day average. Without UofI, they are 6.6%.
tm
tm
Bee-otch

Posts : 728
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 46
Location : here

lefty120 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by sammy hagar on Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:14 pm

The IHSFCA has been involved and seeking to have an impact on the process since shutdown for all teams. The working group is not just heavy hitters. They are the ones who have also tried to get ALL sports involved with getting answers from JBP. They have been advocating championship series for all sports THIS year.

Just because they aren't in social media every day with the official accounts doesn't mean that the membership hasn't been working or been silent. I wont elaborate on all that's been done in behalf of all athletes because the efforts and attempts are too many to list.

I seldom post on here but what's leaked i not all there is. Every team would get the minimum of 7 games. There is some interesting parts that would be very beneficial for struggling teams.

To get meaningful things to happen for athletes, many times going through the right channels, and having meaningful conversations that aren't trumpeted in social media, can get things accomplished.

sammy hagar
Bee-otch

Posts : 20
Join date : 2010-01-04

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by dusty7 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:24 pm

Head Idiot wrote:No basketball in Chicago could be a big political problem for him.

This is one of the reasons that I am holding out hope for January.

The part that really upsets me is that the younger generation is getting involved, speaking out, and trying to do all that they can to influence the state politicians to let them play and JBP, Ezieke, Ruiz, all of them are not even giving them the time of day to talk to them. What is this teaching our youth about the citizen's role in government? Even if they do not change their mind, at least take the time, hear the kids out, and use as an opportunity to explain to them why they are not playing with real facts, science, and data.

I did a poll in my Econ classes today, a total of 48 students, of the 48, 34 do not want to live in the State of Illinois, and 15 are attending college out of state. Many of them cited the broken government in Illinois as a reason they want to leave.
dusty7
dusty7
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1282
Join date : 2010-06-21
Location : Grundy County

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Ohio HS football went with 6 regular season games which concluded last weekend and the playoffs are starting this weekend. They managed their season without any major issues. The Illinois Governor said no, we're not even going to try. As I've mentioned before Ohio and Illinois have similar populations. Ohio has 5039 COVID fatalities and Illinois has 9320. I'm not optimistic about Spring football. We have a Governor who will look for any excuse to cancel it. The guy will probably get reelected too.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 4198
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by OldTitan Yesterday at 10:41 pm

IHSA kicked the can down the road again. Special meeting on 10-28 to decide winter sports. I am not optimistic for wrestling at all. I really thought they might move it to spring today.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Posts : 2245
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Phase 4 = high school football? - Page 16 Empty Re: Phase 4 = high school football?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum