E-learning days?

Go down

E-learning days? Empty E-learning days?

Post by 19delta on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 pm

What are you guys who are teachers doing for e-learning days?

We are going in for staff training on Monday but I don't know when the e-learning will start. We did not put in for the emergency e-learning waiver until Wednesday and my understanding is that e-learning days don't count until the waiver gets approved.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

E-learning days? Empty Re: E-learning days?

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:01 pm

The irony of this is, didn't Pritzker get a law passed last year prohibiting e-learning past this year in lieu of making up snow days?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:21 pm

Head Idiot wrote:The irony of this is, didn't Pritzker get a law passed last year prohibiting e-learning past this year in lieu of making up snow days?

That I don't know.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:43 am

I'm not sure either, but I have seen at least two friends post on Facebook at various times this winter something to the effect of "Remember, today isn't a snow day; it's a digital learning day!" I don't know if that's something to still count the day or if it's something those schools do on their own.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Head Idiot wrote:The irony of this is, didn't Pritzker get a law passed last year prohibiting e-learning past this year in lieu of making up snow days?

No it was the exact opposite. It made it easier

https://www.isbe.net/Lists/News/NewsDisplay.aspx?ID=1271

We have to be available from 9-2 next Tue-Fri. I already use Google classroom for assignments and Khan Academy so kids are familiar with the for me and probably about 2/3 of our teachers. Will get more specifics from our admin on Monday. Were not doing anything too complicated next week so trying to find some short youtue videos they could watch. I'm also looking at uploading some notes to.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:40 pm

Same for our district. We've been working to implement these type of days since the fall. Pritzker has eliminated basically all the hoops a district needed to go through to be approved to be an E Learning district. Good move, especially in light of what we are facing.

We use Schoology and I'll be uploading some short video's and Nearpod presentations. Nothing major.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:13 am

mc140 wrote:

https://www.isbe.net/Lists/News/NewsDisplay.aspx?ID=1271.

Wow! what a forward thinking bill. That is good leadership right there. Thank you Gov. Pritzker.

See how you do that, HI?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:25 pm

Actually all these days off are considered "an act of God" and do no have to be made up starting Tuesday through Monday March 30th.

https://www.isbe.net/Documents/ISBE-Guidance-Mandatory-Statewide-Closures.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3l_4eWz41k1fenHu6eb_ESeL86NzCc1tebsLZ5YxfhL8l_YaUAElOu_rI

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:55 am

Teetime wrote:
mc140 wrote:

https://www.isbe.net/Lists/News/NewsDisplay.aspx?ID=1271.

Wow! what a forward thinking bill. That is good leadership right there. Thank you Gov. Pritzker.

See how you do that, HI?
I know right? What a progressive savant he is.

So much so, that he's decreed that no grades or assessments may be taken on these e-learning days. I'm sure that our students will strive to do their best, aren't you?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:57 pm

I teach Advanced Placement classes and those tests are scheduled for the first week of May. If we go into April they will allow us to take the tests the third week of May. If we go beyond the first couple of weeks of April we can take the exam during the June retest dates. But, that's it - mid-June is the hard deadline.

Declaring these days Act of God days means I cannot make the material I am putting online mandatory. However, I am posting materials, making assessments "available", and making it clear to my students that APUSH has a time crunch not faced by other non-AP classes.

I am going to video two or three lectures a week and use the college board videos - plus some other supplemental material. I am using google classroom. Those of you doing some virtual or e-learning what are some of your favorite tools?
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:48 pm

Our web based student information system is Schoology. We are using that as our base of distribution. I’m using Nearpod presentations along with videos and audio recordings. The videos I’m using Screen castomatic. Seems pretty user friendly so far.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Basically the same thing here in Iowa: no NEW learning that is put online during our hiatus can be graded or assessed. Previously assigned work can be collected and graded. So, we have been told to basically make Google Classroom announcements stating that students are to focus on missing assignments these next two weeks and caught up students are to read on their own or read through a link I provide. Then, in April, a couple weeks of "enrichment activities" will be added to Classroom.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by HHSTigerFan2 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:21 pm

I teach business and tech, the tech classes are easy as they just work the modules in CodeHS… business a lot tougher.. the first week after spring break they are going to create a 15 slide PowerPoint showing the different types of marketing programs a sports franchise of their choice does..

HHSTigerFan2
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:04 pm

For you educators, how is your district handling service to IEP students so that they receive their minutes?
SIFBCoach7
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:47 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:For you educators, how is your district handling service to IEP students so that they receive their minutes?
My wife's district isn't.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:58 am

I highly doubt many are. I’m 99% sure we aren’t.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:18 am

Even before our state government said no "new work" could be assessed over this shut down, our principal basically told us to have students focus on re-taking assessments and make up work. Now, SPED minutes come into play here as well, but one of the main reasons he said to go this route was because of that issue: how would our students with disabilities get their accommodations and services?
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:14 am

RPS 205, the 2nd biggest school district in Illinois, is going to distribute Chromebooks to students later this week. I don't know if some RPS 205 students already have Chromebooks or other devices, but there are almost 30,000 kids in that district. That's a lot of Chromebooks. I'm thinking that the RPS 205 leadership does not think they are going back to school this year if they are doing this.

https://www.mystateline.com/news/local-news/rockford-schools-to-distribute-chromebooks-in-anticipation-of-schools-remaining-closed/
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:02 am

19delta wrote:RPS 205, the 2nd biggest school district in Illinois, is going to distribute Chromebooks to students later this week. I don't know if some RPS 205 students already have Chromebooks or other devices, but there are almost 30,000 kids in that district. That's a lot of Chromebooks. I'm thinking that the RPS 205 leadership does not think they are going back to school this year if they are doing this.

https://www.mystateline.com/news/local-news/rockford-schools-to-distribute-chromebooks-in-anticipation-of-schools-remaining-closed/

we(district 186) start distributing chrome books tomorrow. we decided to go with canvas for our remote learning. i take my first course on canvas today.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:12 am

Trump extending the "social distancing guidelines" until April 30 pretty much guarantees no school will be in session before then, correct? Or could governors still decide to open before then?
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:20 am

wolverine55 wrote:Trump extending the "social distancing guidelines" until April 30 pretty much guarantees no school will be in session before then, correct?  Or could governors still decide to open before then?

school is done. 99.9% sure.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:51 am

Anyone else trying to use Schoology today?

Schoology This Morning
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:57 pm

I don't know if they were referring to Schoology or not, but I saw several Facebook posts this morning about online learning not working due to the servers being overwhelmed.

We just got an email asking us to come up with 1-2 units that we feel are "essential learning" and figure out how we could do those online. Another sign that I don't think our administration feels we're going back this year. Just another reminder for those who may not know that I'm in Iowa, so some of what I post may be slightly different than what you guys are doing or hearing...
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:18 pm

Alabama schools closed for the rest of the school year.

19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:49 pm

E-learning days? Daily-10
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum