1a wrestling controversy

Go down

1a wrestling controversy Empty 1a wrestling controversy

Post by 19delta on Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:30 am

At Abe's Rumble this past weekend down in Springfield, 2-time Class A 195lbs defending state champion Brandon Hoselton (Prairie Central) bumped up to 220lbs to wrestle Bryan Caves from Riverdale. Caves was the Class A 195lbs runner-up from last year, losing to Hoselton by fall in the finals.

During the match, which Caves was winning at the time, the official awarded Hoselton a penaty point (or subtracted a point from Caves...not sure which exactly). This tied the match and led to OT. Hoselton ended up winning.

I don't know enough about wrestling rules and officiating to know exactly what happened here. My understanding is that the penalty was called for two reasons. #1, there was still time on the clock. And #2, Caves was "taunting" Hoselton and not just celebrating a little early. I was a little surprised that the official made the call. It did not seem like the match was overly chippy. Couldn't the official have simply given Caves a warning?

Any thoughts on this? Here's some video of the match. For what it is worth, I have seen this particular official work quite a few meets. He has always struck me as a fair and competent guy who knows wrestling.

19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

1a wrestling controversy Empty Re: 1a wrestling controversy

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:20 am

1. That's the easiest unsportsmanlike conduct call I've maybe ever seen. It would be more controversial if that ref DIDN'T make that call. That is 1000% the correct call.
2. That Port Byron kid is a \"f\"ing idiot.
3. I realize I live next door to it, but there are freaking Millikin wrestling shirts everywhere.
4. That was the worst quality "top guy" matches I think I've ever seen. Very, very sloppy. They looked gassed from the get go.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:24 am

Head Idiot wrote:1. That's the easiest unsportsmanlike conduct call I've maybe ever seen. It would be more controversial if that ref DIDN'T make that call. That is 1000% the correct call.
3. I realize I live next door to it, but there are freaking Millikin wrestling shirts everywhere.
4. That was the worst quality "top guy" matches I think I've ever seen. Very, very sloppy. They looked gassed from the get go.

Ok. All good observations.

Regarding #4...I don't think that either of these guys wrestle past the 1st period very often. And not sure about what else they have on their teams, but the top 1a guys often don't have much competition in practice.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:03 pm

PC has the 4th ranked 285 and 2nd ranked 170. Plus, Hoselton does a lot of offseason stuff. His conditioning shouldn't be a factor.

I bet you'd be surprised how often top 1A guys come in pairs. If there's one really good one, they usually have a team mate who's usually their practice partner that's ranked in the next or 2 weight classes away from them.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by HHSTigerFan2 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:43 pm

Head Idiot wrote:1. That's the easiest unsportsmanlike conduct call I've maybe ever seen. It would be more controversial if that ref DIDN'T make that call. That is 1000% the correct call.

Hoselton broke his thumb during week 5 of football, maybe something to do with being out of shape.. Good kid, lets just say an odd family with way too much emphasis on wrestling.. He quit football his freshman year, didn't play last year, but came out this year and had a decent season I heard..

Speaking of Prairie Central, they should contend for the second best team in 4A south next year (assuming Rochester finds its way back to 4A)....

HHSTigerFan2
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum