OSU got screwed

Go down

OSU got screwed Empty OSU got screwed

Post by Teetime on Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:50 pm

The targeting call that changed the game around was questionable....but I see how it got called.

The fumble recovery for a TD by OSU that was reversed was BULLSHIT.

Lets say you could make an argument that it was an incomplete pass, (I would not agree and most honest observers would not agree) the call on the field was fumble recovery and TD. To overturn the call on the field the standard is supposed to be "indisputable evidence". You could never convince me or 95% of honest observers that there was indisputable evidence. The receiver took three and a half steps with the ball in both hands.

Admin

Back to top Go down

OSU got screwed Empty Re: OSU got screwed

Post by Teetime on Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:54 pm

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:55 pm

The fumble return for a TD getting overturned was shocking. Could not believe that.

But the Buckeyes let that game get away. Clemson scored 21 points off Ohio State punching themselves in the dick.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:34 pm

The targeting call was a no doubter. I don't get the "controversy" around that call. Even taking into account the fact Lawrence ducked his head slightly, that gets called and upheld 99% of the time. What most people seem in agreement on, me included, is that the rule is bad and doesn't give the defender enough leeway for when on offensive player ducks his head.

The other call was bad. No doubt about it. But...as Delt alluded to, I still feel Ohio St. had plenty of opportunity to win that game and in fact should have despite that call.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:32 pm

I don’t get it.

OSU lost by six.. That play cost them seven. I know a little about math...that was the difference between losing and winning.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:42 pm

To me, that's always been flawed logic because you can't change the outcome of just one play and then assume the rest of the game would have played out the exact same way.  Everything, even playcalling, changes from that point on. I'm not saying it wasn't a missed call and obviously a big one, but I don't think you can say that one play cost them the game either.

wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:41 am

wolverine55 wrote:The targeting call was a no doubter.  I don't get the "controversy" around that call.  Even taking into account the fact Lawrence ducked his head slightly, that gets called and upheld 99% of the time.  What most people seem in agreement on, me included, is that the rule is bad and doesn't give the defender enough leeway for when on offensive player ducks his head.

The other call was bad.  No doubt about it.  But...as Delt alluded to, I still feel Ohio St. had plenty of opportunity to win that game and in fact should have despite that call.

I do think that an ejection for targeting is excessive in some cases and the rule needs to be modified to allow for a distinction between a defender obviously aiming for an opponent's head and a situation in which the "targetting" is inadvertent.

Or perhaps make a targetting call result in the ejection of the head coach rather than the player. That would result in the officials being a little bit more hesitant to call it in questionable circumstances. Or make the ejection temporary. A player penalized for targetting goes into some kind of "penalty box" but can return to the game.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:21 am

I can assure you OSU fans would be equally upset if that hit happened to their QB and the Clemson player wasn't ejected.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Head Idiot wrote:I can assure you OSU fans would be equally upset if that hit happened to their QB and the Clemson player wasn't ejected.

True.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:05 pm

wolverine55 wrote:To me, that's always been flawed logic because you can't change the outcome of just one play and then assume the rest of the game would have played out the exact same way.  Everything, even playcalling, changes from that point on.  I'm not saying it wasn't a missed call and obviously a big one, but I don't think you can say that one play cost them the game either.

I said I knew math, not football.

I think you are correct. I was using flawed logic. +1 wolverine55.

Clemson would have taken more chances and run higher risk plays if OSU had been allowed to keep those points. They would have thrown into coverage, been intercepted, blitzed on every play, been burned by three screen passes for huge gains and lost by 17 points, not just one or two points.

Why is it OK to assume that after that play only Clemson would have played better and not OSU?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:48 pm

Also a valid point...but again, that would mean the game didn't come down to just the one play in question.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:52 pm

wolverine55 wrote:Also a valid point...but again, that would mean the game didn't come down to just the one play in question.

Agreed.

Quit being logical. It interferes with my rants.

The game didn't come down to just that one play...the math did.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:06 pm

Another good point on the math! Very Happy
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content