Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Public to private transfer

+3
ging
Teetime
19delta
7 posters

Go down

Public to private transfer Empty Public to private transfer

Post by 19delta Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:03 pm

If a student transfers from a public school to a private school, is he immediately eligible to play sports?

Example...a student attends a public high school for two years and then transfers to a private school for his junior year. Can he play football his junior year?
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Public to private transfer Empty Re: Public to private transfer

Post by Teetime Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:35 pm

IHSA by laws 3.040 through 3.043 speak to the issue.

They say that transfer students are all ineligible for 365 days but there are exceptions. No exception is applicable to a transfer from a public to a private school. I should say there might be one exception that allows the IHSA to rule such a transfer student eligible in special circumstances.

The most common exception to the general rule of 365 days ineligible is a transfer from one public school to another public school following a change in residence and with the consent of both principals (the former school principal and the new school principal)

https://www.ihsa.org/documents/forms/2014-15/Section%203%202014-15.pdf

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:14 am

Teetime wrote:IHSA by laws 3.040 through 3.043 speak to the issue.

They say that transfer students are all ineligible for 365 days but there are exceptions. No exception is applicable to a transfer from a public to a private school. I should say there might be one exception that allows the IHSA to rule such a transfer student eligible in special circumstances.

The most common exception to the general rule of 365 days ineligible is a transfer from one public school to another public school following a change in residence and with the consent of both principals (the former school principal and the new school principal)

https://www.ihsa.org/documents/forms/2014-15/Section%203%202014-15.pdf

Ok...thank you!
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:35 am

i always thought (or at least used to think) that a public to private transfer was ok to play right away so long as there was a move to a new home/apartment/lean-to/tent/fake address/etc
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:46 am

i believe you are correct ging. for example a kid from sterling hs transfers to newman. if he lived in sterling and moved to rock falls i believe he'd be eligible at newman immediately. could be wrong but that's my impression.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:52 am

ging wrote:i always thought (or at least used to think) that a public to private transfer was ok to play right away so long as there was a move to a new home/apartment/lean-to/tent/fake address/etc

net wrote:i believe you are correct ging. for example a kid from sterling hs transfers to newman. if he lived in sterling and moved to rock falls i believe he'd be eligible at newman immediately. could be wrong but that's my impression.
I thought the same as the both of you.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:37 pm

ging wrote:i always thought (or at least used to think) that a public to private transfer was ok to play right away so long as there was a move to a new home/apartment/lean-to/tent/fake address/etc

But if there is no move, the kid would be ineligible?
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:58 pm

https://www.sj-r.com/article/20130904/NEWS/309049852

They sit out a year if they transfer from public to private.

It has been that way for a long time. Decades I think.

In 2013 the IHSA changed some rules to try and stem the tide of public to public transfers.

https://www.rrstar.com/x273435294/Preps-IHSAs-new-transfer-rules-drum-up-mixed-emotions

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:04 pm

19delta wrote:

But if there is no move, the kid would be ineligible?

There has to be a move on paper. No one ever checks if kids actually move unless the Public school doesn't sign off. Only way they could still be eligible is if you appeal on basis of Bullying, Racism, etc.

There was a wrestler around here who transferred from Private to Public back to a Private school over three years and never moved once. Just forged a lease to go public then went back to his real address to go back to private.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 am

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:03 pm

If you move addresses during summer you are eligible immediately for the next sports season
You can transfer Public to Private and Play with out sitting if there is circumstances that the student need to transfer and the Principal signs off on it. Still must be approved by the IHSA. This has happend with us in the best interest of the student.
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:57 pm

newcom wrote:If you move addresses during summer you are eligible immediately for the next sports season
You can transfer Public to Private and Play with out sitting if there is circumstances that the student need to transfer and the Principal signs off on it.  Still must be approved by the IHSA. This has happend with us in the best interest of the student.

So, if you move (change residence) during the summer and go from a public school to a public school you are eligible immediately.

If you move (change residence) during the summer and go from a public school to a private school there need to be special circumstances, the public school principal has to sign off on those circumstances and the IHSA has to approve it. Otherwise, you sit for a year.

Is that correct?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Moving school Districts not during the IHSA Calendar Year (Summer) is automatic eligible at the new Private or Public school.
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Teetime wrote:
newcom wrote:If you move addresses during summer you are eligible immediately for the next sports season
You can transfer Public to Private and Play with out sitting if there is circumstances that the student need to transfer and the Principal signs off on it.  Still must be approved by the IHSA. This has happend with us in the best interest of the student.

So, if you move (change residence) during the summer and go from a public school to a public school you are eligible immediately.

If you move (change residence) during the summer and go from a public school to a private school there need to be special circumstances, the public school principal has to sign off on those circumstances and the IHSA has to approve it. Otherwise, you sit for a year.

Is that correct?

Principal always has to sign off.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down