Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"I never lose. I either win or learn."

+6
net
dusty7
19delta
wolverine55
Teetime
ging
10 posters

Go down

"I never lose.  I either win or learn." Empty "I never lose. I either win or learn."

Post by ging Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:46 pm

I effing HATE this idiom, thought, meme, belief, whatever you want to call it. I've seen it in various forms.

You win some and you lose some. There's no shame in admitting that. Of course you CAN learn from your losses but you can also learn from your wins. The goal should be doing what you can to continuously improve.

By eliminating the mere thought of "losing", all you're doing is lying to yourself. Frankly, I think it's a cop out for those weak-minded individuals who can't deal with any adversity.

Pussification of America in yet another form.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

"I never lose.  I either win or learn." Empty Re: "I never lose. I either win or learn."

Post by Teetime Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Agreed.

Admin

Back to top Go down

"I never lose.  I either win or learn." Empty Re: "I never lose. I either win or learn."

Post by wolverine55 Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:09 pm

"We didn't lose the game. We just ran out of time" is even worse, but it's the same premise. I agree totally, Ging.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Yeah. It's pretty vapid.

For me, the biggest problem I have with it is the use of the word "learn". Real learning isn't simply becoming aware of something you didn't know about previously. Instead, it's gaining a new skill or ability to overcome something you previously couldn't do.

So if you get your butt whipped 42-0 by a team that is bigger, stronger, and faster than your team, there isn't going to be any learning going on.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:29 pm

I hate the "you either win or die trying."
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:44 am

i hate the term 'last call'.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by illinipete Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:16 am

"Don't know where you're goin but you can't stay here!"
illinipete
illinipete
I Pete my Pants

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:02 pm

Another one I find dreadful is "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." 1. I honestly don't think that's true, more often than not at least, at the high school level. And 2: the kids who post it/say it aren't the ones working hard.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:49 pm

I never lose.

Kids just screw up the game plan. Cool Cool Cool
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:23 pm

wolverine55 wrote:"We didn't lose the game.  We just ran out of time" is even worse, but it's the same premise.  I agree totally, Ging.

oh i hate that one. its like, actually, under the rules of the game of which you agreed to based on participation, you infact did lose... specifically because when the time ran out you had less points.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:28 pm

or worse is when that situation is like they were down by 36 at half, and the other team put in backups and with your starters you cut it to a 20 point deficit. you dont get to claim running out of time was the culprit in that loss.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:10 pm

"I'm Gluten-Free"
tincup1215
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:37 am

wolverine55 wrote:Another one I find dreadful is "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

agreed X 1000

ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum