Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

State return vs tax paid by region

3 posters

Go down

State return vs tax paid by region Empty State return vs tax paid by region

Post by Teetime Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Admin

Back to top Go down

State return vs tax paid by region Empty Re: State return vs tax paid by region

Post by 19delta Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Good link. Very similar to the concept of "red state welfare".

What is the explanation behind these numbers? Given all the supposed political clout that Cook County Democrats have in Illinois, why are people in Southern Illinois getting almost 3x as much tax dollars?
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:11 pm

I saw this on another site just yesterday. This runs afoul of what many down state folks always claim, which is that Chicago has been stealing from us for years. Mostly GOP politicians have blamed Chicago and their corrupt politicians for most of what is wrong with Illinois. Our current Governor in fact is running commercials constantly trying to link his opponent as being associated with the corrupt Chicago machine.
The fact is that us down state folks are just a bunch of freeloaders who are getting a lot more back from the Government than we're putting in. We are also by and large bitching about our high income taxes. A majority of the total state GDP comes from Chicago and we'd be screwed without Chicago and the collar counties. We don't want Chicago to become a separate state, despite what many downstate folks say they'd like to see happen.
Now I'm probably going to be accused of being a Liberal like Tee. Wink
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:45 am

19delta wrote:

What is the explanation behind these numbers?

The economic data starts on page 20

https://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1059&context=ppi_papers

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:34 am

Teetime wrote:
19delta wrote:

What is the explanation behind these numbers?

The economic data starts on page 20

https://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1059&context=ppi_papers

Yeah...I'll be completely honest with you. I'm not gonna read that. Wink

My question was more about how this unequal distribution happens politically, not economically. I'm not disputing the numbers. How is it that parts of the state that are decidedly conservative and Republican are getting a much better return on their taxes then parts of the state that are more liberal and Democratic? Especially in regards to the huge majority that the Democrats have in the General Assembly?

This paragraph is from the article you posted and probably explains some of this disparity:

"Although downstate residents feel slighted when it comes to state funding, Jackson notes that nine of the state’s 12 universities plus most of the community colleges and correctional facilities are outside of Chicago and the suburban area. There are also more highways, streets and roads to maintain where, with the exception of some parts of Chicago, poverty indicators are highest."

So it would appear, at least at a quick glance, that the reason more tax dollars are spent downstate is because there are more things to pay for. The obvious takeaway is that without the taxes paid by people living in Cook County and the suburbs, people living downstate would not have universities, JUCOs, prisons, or road maintenance. Or, at the very least, would have a much harder time paying for those expenses.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:33 pm

19delta wrote:Yeah...I'll be completely honest with you. I'm not gonna read that. Wink

What?

I thought that if I posted a link......that every single Turkster read that info until it was fully understood.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down